Two Year Sentence For 3D Print a Gun.

well, he got caught because he posted a video on youtube : /  why didn't he keep it for himself ? especially if those were actually working..

I mean it should be fine to have fake models (toys?) in his home but from the moment he tries to make if functionnal, that's a different story. Someone could get hurt.

and what's up with the cheap stuff ? he could go buy a real gun, get a licence for it and practice shooting in a restricted area like the real thing.. isn't why they have clubs ?

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90 

I can't imagine a 3d printed gun being able to safely chamber and fire anything other then .22.

There only dangerous in the wrong hands..A gun doesn't fire itself. I'm glad you don't run our country. 

You realize not all people are so good, do you?

Guns are so stupid. Close combat is way more fun. Guns are like cheating.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Millions of law abiding gun owners would disagree.

Everyone's law-abiding until the trigger is pulled.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and can kill like a duck...

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Normal guns can still be regulated and traced, a 3D printed gun cannot. They also can guarantee that you will not lose an arm when you are legally hunting wildlife.

As much as guns are bad it isn't necessarily ideal to prohibit them completely, as long as they can be regulated.

If you have gun for hunting it is fine as far as I am concerned, but if you have the ability to 3D print armaments, that cannot be regulated, it can be a serious problem.

This already makes no sense. In America under the second amendment it's 100% legal and fine to make your own firearm, you just can't distribute or sell it. People are always putting together their own pistols and rifles, and they have lots of conventions and shows to show it off. It's not talked about very often, and the media seems to ignore that this is allowed.

As for Japan, they have problems of their own like supposedly going to be at 50% their current population by 2100. They have more than guns killing them off

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Hehehehe

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This already makes no sense. In America under the second amendment it's 100% legal and fine to make your own firearm, you just can't distribute or sell it. People are always putting together their own pistols and rifles, and they have lots of conventions and shows to show it off. It's not talked about very often, and the media seems to ignore that this is allowed.

As for Japan, they have problems of their own like supposedly going to be at 50% their current population by 2100. They have more than guns killing them off

That's not health issues, that's due to societally reduced birth rates and large amounts of emigration due to land mass shortage.

What about printing a BB gun or airsoft pellet gun?  Would the person have been sent to jail for 2 years for that?  This is something I would want to know in regards to the laws in Japan.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

any item printed by a 3d printer should be regulated as if it was the actual item (which it is) and 3d printers themselves shouldn't be regulated

And the results are showing: 

In Japan, annual firearm homicides total 

2002: 47

In the United States, annual firearm homicides total 

2002: 11,829

What? If you adjusted for population, we should see something much closer...

Japan: 47

US:      5175

(I used the 2002 numbers since it was the last year that matched and seemed more representative of the average of the dates you posted.)

I just feel like 3D printing weapons is'nt such a big deal. If you wanted to get a weapon or even make yourself its not that hard. Ofc people should not be allowed to make weapons on a 3D printer but, its kinda the same thing as making spear, with sticks and stones, even a dagger/sword should you so desire. Doing this could be just as effective as anything else, since he would have to get close up to the person anyway, and if you ask i more concerned about getting stabbed than shot, this that is way better way to kill people due the low sound it would make.. 

At least this is my thoughts, i would'nt see at as a problem really because a 3D printer is not something that you would see in a normal home anyway. (at least in Denmark where im from) 

CPU Intel i7 4790K - Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM Cosair Vengeance Pro 32 GB @2400Mhz - GPU Asus ROG 980 Matrix Platnium x2 - Case Coolermaster HAF XB Evo - Storage Samsung 500GB Evo SSD x2 in RAID 0 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 x2 in RAID 0 - PSU Corsair RM1000

oh wait... i cant

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

And the results are showing: 

In Japan, annual firearm homicides total 

2008: 11

2002: 47

2001: 56

1997: 34

1996: 36

1995: 42

In the United States, annual firearm homicides total 

2012: 8,896

2011: 11,101

2010: 11,078

2009: 11,493

2008: 12,179

2007: 12,632

2006: 12,791

2005: 12,352

2004: 11,624

2003: 11,920

2002: 11,829

2001: 11,348

2000: 10,801

1999: 10,828

1998: 9,257

I'm at work, so I can't spend the time looking... but I'm curious to know the amount of stabbings in Japan vs the US. I remember there being about 10x as many people killed by stabbings in the UK vs the US which was IIRC more deaths per capita in the UK than the US when including both guns and knives.

Banning firearms will obviously mean less deaths by firearms, but it doesn't mean there will be less deaths in general... There are plenty of ways to kill someone, the benefit to firearms are that they give a leg up for the less physically capable to legally defend themselves IMO.

FYI: I am a gun owner, owning about a dozen guns. I have never purchased any of my guns with self defense in mind though, all (including my AR15's) were for hobby or sporting purposes.

EDIT: Nope, Japan is just a crazy safe place to live... pretty impressive. Still wouldn't give up my guns to live there, I feel 100% safe where I live anyways (even without my guns). The only downside is the suicide rate is twice as high compared to the US, must be something people don't like over there...

What? If you adjusted for population, we should see something much closer...

Japan: 47

US:      5175

(I used the 2002 numbers since it was the last year that matched and seemed more representative of the average of the dates you posted.)

I guess. I forgot to put in the deaths per 100,000.

Still, Its much lower.

In Japan, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 

2008: 0.01

2002: 0.04

2001: 0.04

1997: 0.03

1996: 0.03

1995: 0.03

1994: 0.02

In the United States, the annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is 

2012: 2.83

2011: 3.6

2010: 3.59

2009: 3.75

2008: 4.01

2007: 4.19

2006: 4.29

2005: 4.18

2004: 3.97

2003: 4.11

2002: 4.11

2001: 3.98

2000: 3.84

1999: 3.88

1998: 3.37

1993: 7.07

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

And how is this a bad thing? They found more guns at his flat... Today it would be a lot conventional to 3D print a gun and kill someone with it than taking a real gun... If I was at the head of the goverment I would completely prohibit any type of fire arms... Japan is doing the right thing.... 15 murders in Japan 2012? Now look at USA, what does it say about the people and the goverment who are allowing all the weapons for civil use?

Pretty sure there's more variables in play here when comparing homicide rates. Sure its a large factor, but its definitely not the only one.

Well the original 3D gun file does reside on no other than the pirate bay. Although with hardly any seeders it is more like a lost cause. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Laws are laws.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

What do you say both you and I learn Japanese and go live in Tokyo?

ill pay for it! also, the flight is one way so. bye bye. :D

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

coming from Japan, this isn't surprising

for those that aren't familiar, Japan is EXTREMELY gun-phobic

The whole Airsoft market practically started in Japan because it was the only way for people to enjoy firearms legally - and even those are HEAVILY restricted

an airsoft gun shooting over 300 feet per second is considered a firearm in Japan - to put that in perspective, a mere 9mm pistol shoots around 1200fps (can vary with ammunition, both above and below). Japan is scared of a pistol shooting PLASTIC at ONE FOURTH the speed of a real firearm

Seems legit to me...  In the US I can purchase  all the relevant equipment (a CNC machine and lathe mostly) and manufacture my own firearms, so long as they're for my personal use only.  But in Japan the laws on the subject a very clear.  It is not legal for a civilian to own a handgun in Japan, and the manufacture of firearms is only legal with the appropriate licence.