YouTube now running their own ADs warning users of proposed EU Copyright bill | PewDiePie might not be able to upload videos if passed?

AlTech

TheVerge reports that YouTube is now running their own ADs on their platform to warn users of the dangers of the EU copyright proposal which is going to be voted on in January 2019.

The ADs mainly consist of popup ADs which would usually be occupied by the AD for getting YouTube Premium.

Here's an example:

article_13.png

Multiple YouTube users in Europe noted coming across the pop-up while watching certain videos. Many viewers praised the company for its attempt to communicate with users about the copyright directive, which will see a final vote in January 2019.

YouTube has more recently stated that some YouTubers such as PewDiePie might not be able to upload content if Article 13 is passed.

YouTube’s communications team has spent weeks aggressively tweeting from its main channel and its subsequent YouTube Creators account in an attempt to raise awareness about the copyright directive. A Q&A last week with creators and users on Twitter led the company to admit that if the copyright directive passes, some European channels will be blocked from playing in the United States. Certain users could also be prevented from uploading videos at all.

Take someone like PewDiePie, YouTube’s biggest creator with more than 70 million subscribers. His entire channel relies on uploading and responding to user-generated content and incorporating in copyrighted work. Under the Fair Use Act, PewDiePie is fine because his videos provide additional commentary and are transformative enough to be considered original. Currently, if a copyright holder files a complaint against PewDiePie, YouTube can remove the video or demonetize it. Under the EU’s proposal, the company says the financial burden placed on the platform to ensure that copyright content isn’t uploaded at all is too big, and the easiest way to prevent it would be to stop videos from being uploaded in the first place.

While I do appreciate YouTube's efforts to raise awareness of this, they should be calling up European MEPs to have Article 13 cut out.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

but its not really that bad though, it feels like youtube are fightning this for some other reason and riding the Article 13 hate wave. Youtube should be perfectly fine from Article 13 so it feels like they havent even read the latest versions and are just going "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

is lobbying a thing in the EU, i thought it wasn't 

Well the least they could do is call up European MEPs and tell them how important it is for them to vote the right way.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" 

sounds kinda like youtube in general

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

but its not really that bad though, it feels like youtube are fightning this for some other reason and riding the Article 13 hate wave. Youtube should be perfectly fine from Article 13 so it feels like they havent even read the latest versions and are just going "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Basically YouTube says that Article 13 would mean they can't take business risks like allowing some creators like PewDiePie to upload videos at all.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Basically YouTube says that Article 13 would mean they can't take business risks like allowing some creators like PewDiePie to upload videos at all.

but they arent even impacted by Article 13, they arent an indexed hub with the main purpose of distrubuting copyrighted content for profit. they are so extremely excluded from article 13 that it might as well say "youtube isnt impacted by this part". content ID is another way they are even further removed for impact if they are somehow ruled that the maiin purpose of yt is to be a pirate hub where they make money. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Wow their siding PewDiePies side. I was sure they were out to get him. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, VegetableStu said:

"I'm studying Animation" <- "oh, Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks?"

"I'm making videos on Youtube" <- "oh, Pewdiepie?"

look, when you say you're a fisherman, do I go "oh, Long John Silvers?"

/rant

It's not a conversation, it's just an example. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

but they arent even impacted by Article 13, they arent an indexed hub with the main purpose of distrubuting copyrighted content for profit

Yes they are?

That's pretty much exactly what YouTube is. The difference being usually people upload copyrighted content they have permission to upload such as their own copyrighted content.

His entire channel relies on uploading and responding to user-generated content and incorporating in copyrighted work. Under the Fair Use Act, PewDiePie is fine because his videos provide additional commentary and are transformative enough to be considered original. Currently, if a copyright holder files a complaint against PewDiePie, YouTube can remove the video or demonetize it. Under the EU’s proposal, the company says the financial burden placed on the platform to ensure that copyright content isn’t uploaded at all is too big, and the easiest way to prevent it would be to stop videos from being uploaded in the first place.

That's not a problem with PDP or article 13. It's a problem with youtube's lack of human curation. They could very easily monitor what the largest creators upload manually, if they wanted to. Article 13, the way I understand it, doesn't require omniscience on the platform's part - just that it does what is in its power to prevent copyright infringement when possible.

As for stopping European creators from uploading... seriously, as if that would cost them less than just complying with the regulation... there are problems with article 13, but I have no sympathy for the tears of a megacorporation that's too lazy to monitor its main sources of income.

But hey, cheer up! At least you'll get content from british creators... unless the UK bundles youtube in with their pr0n card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But how will Pewds defeat T-Series now? ATTENTION ALL YOUTUBE MEMERS. PEWDIEPIE NEEDS YOUR HELP TO DEFEAT THE EVIL T-SERIES

image.png.9717563fb2ad19d5aa174c5975c11539.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Last vote I sent mails to a couple of MEP's from Belgium and the right winged politicians are against this article and responded that they would vote against the bill as is and the left (of course) said they'd vote for the bill and explained why but then I replied again that they represent us not themselves or their party and then she stoped responding. So I don't think there is anything that megacoorporations like YouTube can change about the vote as most people don't even know what the EU parliament does or care for it. Pewdiepie lives in the UK so I don't think he'll have to comply to EU rules.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes they are?

That's pretty much exactly what YouTube is. The difference being usually people upload copyrighted content they have permission to upload such as their own copyrighted content.

either way content ID and them removing videos when the copyright owner wants them too, like they do now, pretty much made them imune acording to what it said in there last time i read through it though i dont have the latest copy anywhere right now and the versions i can find are the original drafts before they changed a lot of things for the better

Builds:

Spoiler

I've seen Pewdiepie talking about this. I mean I really can't see this staying, it's quite a bs though. Like how are we going toward more censure and restriction times. And all the 50+y old people voting on these things should just be replaced.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

YouTube again using article 13 to try to get people on their side.

YouTube already does what article 13 wants companies to do, to work on a automatic filter to stop copyrighted stuff to be uploaded. The only thing that they would have to do is continue to try to make the filter better, but as far as I know, they are already doing it.

I bet Facebook would be affected much more than YouTube is? As far as I know, if they have a filter, it's worse than YouTubes?

The article that would actually hurt YouTube/Google the most is Article 11. It wouldn't let Google news copy hole news articles without give anything to the creators of the news articles. Google earns money on that and takes money away from the news sites. Article 11 tries to stop that, and that's what will hurt Google most.

It just happens to be it's easier to get people on their side with article 13, and pretend that something they are already doing is too expensive to do and therefore close down in EU.

That's my understanding from this case at least.

One thing question tho, would closing uploads from EU even make them not need to follow the law? Wouldn't they have to block EU citizens to watch too?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Assuming the EC acts democratically and our voices count for something

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

transformative enough to be considered original.

Also he'd be happy to hear that lmao

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's not a problem with PDP or article 13. It's a problem with youtube's lack of human curation. They could very easily monitor what the largest creators upload manually, if they wanted to. Article 13, the way I understand it, doesn't require omniscience on the platform's part - just that it does what is in its power to prevent copyright infringement when possible.

As for stopping European creators from uploading... seriously, as if that would cost them less than just complying with the regulation... there are problems with article 13, but I have no sympathy for the tears of a megacorporation that's too lazy to monitor its main sources of income.

But hey, cheer up! At least you'll get content from british creators... unless the UK bundles youtube in with their pr0n card.

The concern isn't with the largest creators, though. It's with the extreme amount of content uploaded every day. Some smaller channel could upload an entire movie to YouTube, and before YouTube's copyright system could find it, YouTube could then be held liable for having that on their platform.

If YouTube wished to fully comply with Article 13, they would need to block all videos before they're published, scan them for copyrighted content, ideally then have a human check as well, then allow it to be published. The issue with this is that to allow videos to be published in a reasonable amount of time after the creator uploads, YouTube would really need to invest a ton Copyright ID program. Money that YouTube most likely does not have.

Even with all those checks in place, things would still get through the cracks. Then, not only would the user get some sort of Copyright penalty, but as would YouTube itself.

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

is lobbying a thing in the EU, i thought it wasn't 

Attendance isn't really a thing in the EU parliament and you can't lobby people who aren't there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

23 minutes ago, Invenitive said:

The concern isn't with the largest creators, though. It's with the extreme amount of content uploaded every day. Some smaller channel could upload an entire movie to YouTube, and before YouTube's copyright system could find it, YouTube could then be held liable for having that on their platform.

No, as long as they could show they were doing all they reasonably could to prevent it.

24 minutes ago, Invenitive said:

If YouTube wished to fully comply with Article 13, they would need to block all videos before they're published, scan them for copyrighted content, ideally then have a human check as well, then allow it to be published. The issue with this is that to allow videos to be published in a reasonable amount of time after the creator uploads, YouTube would really need to invest a ton Copyright ID program. Money that YouTube most likely does not have.

That's not what article 13 says. Article 13 only demands that the content is scanned before being uploaded with an automated system, which youtube pretty much already does. If doing it with absolutely every video makes the upload process a bit slower, so be it - I'm sure they can prioritize large content creators if necessary.

28 minutes ago, Invenitive said:

Even with all those checks in place, things would still get through the cracks. Then, not only would the user get some sort of Copyright penalty, but as would YouTube itself.

You're confusing article 13 with what already is law. Youtube cannot legally host this stuff if they know it's there. That's nothing new. Article 13 doesn't change it in any way. The problem with article 13 is that it's hard to enforce for small platforms, but this doesn't affect youtube.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, as long as they could show they were doing all they reasonably could to prevent it.

That's not what article 13 says. Article 13 only demands that the content is scanned before being uploaded with an automated system, which youtube pretty much already does. If doing it with absolutely every video makes the upload process a bit slower, so be it - I'm sure they can prioritize large content creators if necessary.

You're confusing article 13 with what already is law. Youtube cannot legally host this stuff if they know it's there. That's nothing new. Article 13 doesn't change it in any way. The problem with article 13 is that it's hard to enforce for small platforms, but this doesn't affect youtube.

THANK YOU FOR CLEARING SO MUCH OF THIS CRAP UP!!!  I was getting really confused earlier...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy