What's next for computers

BennyJoe

Telekinesis

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I have been able to create in theory a 32k resolution system

CPU   $1749.00 Buy
CPU Cooler   $109.99 Buy
Motherboard   $489.89 Buy
Memory   $1688.89 Buy
Storage   $469.99 Buy
Video Card   $2989.95 Buy
    $2989.95 Buy
    $2989.95 Buy
    $2989.95 Buy
Case   $169.99 Buy
Monitor   $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
    $3419.99 Buy
Total: $71357.39

32k resolution, 128 gb of video ram

Space heaters form Advanced Micro Devices i think around 2020 

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

The future is switching to a different material beyond silicon due to a bigger probability of quantum tunneling in smaller transistor sizes.

Also carbon nanotubes.

Theres news of a 0nm transistor, apparently not even possible.

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

Probably quantum computers with quantum raytraced graphics cards. 

Probably 40-50 years from now it’ll be widely available. 

7 hours ago, BennyJoe said:

What do you think will be the future power of your PC.

I expect that within the next ten years we will see AI processors, much like we see in phone, so as to squeeze every little drop out of current processors, I also see chip stacking as becoming a thing, processor will likely be made out of Carbon Nano tubes or some other exotic material, so as to break the 7nm barrier that we are just starting to hit, we will likely also see larger more power hungry dies for CPU's and GPU's, we may even totally switch to cloud computing. I also expect a significant increase in high end power supplies due to a decline in the price of silicon manufacturing which would also lead to an increase in the size of dies and hitting a brick wall at 7nm until companies can find an alternative to silicon.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Holographic displays 

The word computer is such a vague one. Smartphones are technically computers, along with anything that contains a chip capable of computational process. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

General purpose quantum computers won't have an advantage over classic binary-based deterministic computers. This is just not how it works. Quantum computing only has advantages in very speciic applications. Browsing, Games, writing text in work is not one of it. Despite that: throw away ALL of your current software since nothing is compatible. So guys, please stop dreaming of quantium computers. They're NOT what you're thinking they are.

And considering AI – we do have AI. It's already all around us. What you guys are thinking of (I guess) are general purpose AI. That is a very dangerous thing and there's nothing like an AI processor unless you're thinking of the Titan V as an AI processor. Still, all neural networks are still just being projected on regular binary based structures. Add more cores and you improve performance.

The near future will bring a slowed development. We're close to the physical limit of silicon. There will be a new material being introduced within the next ~10-20 years. In the mean team we'll see further parallelization and rising core counts. Carbon nano tubes might be a possibility but the thing is: they aren't new and not even difficult to manufacture (heck, you can make them yourself at home with some tape and a pencil) yet we don't see them in many applications. Nanotubes have been around for about 30 years and yet in 2012 we've seen the first demonstration of 9nm transistor outperforming a Silicon based equivalent. There was a "computer" about a year later but that's kind of it. Nanotubes are not a miracle material. They might only push the limit for a couple of years maybe one or two decades but then we're at the same point again and quantum mechanics are knocking on the door again. 

Next thing is the human interface. How come people aren't surprised that the way we interact with our computers haven't much changed in decades? Keyboards haven't really changed. In fact the good old mechanical keyboards are more and more in demand again and the oldest ones seem to develop a mythical aura. Or what about the mice? The basic principle hasn't changed, the machanical balls got replaced by lasers but that's about it. The next ~30 years will bring a development of more and more "bionic" technology and a more direct way of interacting with electronic devices. I'm not talking about thought control (people usually have no idea how complicated that would actually be – ever tried to control your brain waves on command? gues what, it's really tricky!). Think of implanted input devices, maybe even microphnes for telecomunication, ear implants and maybe teven the first eye implants. We already have some very basic implants (think of cochlea implants) – the medical development will give (some) blind people sight again and some deaf people hearing. Those implants will probably be even better than the biological parts they're replacing. By the end of the century electronically improved/modified people will be around. It's not unlikely that people will have their personal computers/smartphones implanted. 

In the mean time: smart glasses. Google had its early take on smart glasses – for now they're done, yes. But they will come back. Augmented reality will most likely be the norm. 

And lastly: the merge of devices. We're already seing the beginning of this development. Think of tv sets 15-20 years ago. The first LCD and Plasma screens were around offering 720p or even 1080i for the first time – yet those sets were just plain displays with some speakers. They didn't have an OS running media content, streaming apps and so on – just displays. Today there's basically no point in having an AppleTV or a similar device anymore, you can just have one device to do all of it. Or think of MP3 players, walkmans/discmans/md player. You don't have those anymore, it's all in your phone. The merge of devices is obvious. This trend won't stop. I expect smartphones to be more and more powerful and replacing your regular computer at some point. We've already seen first attempts to acchieve this and 2-in laptops (or detachables) are on the rise. Combined with powerful wireless connections and smart devices around you can just send your video signal straight to the next big display, wireless power/charging and probably projected input devices on every surface.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

the future is no machine, no plastic no metal and no wires....all content beamed straight into the noggin...bzzzzzzttttttt

My PC will be able to chat with me and make me breakfast sandwiches 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, wasab said:

My PC will be able to chat with me and make me breakfast sandwiches 

Why only breakfast sandwiches? Why not other ones too?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

18 hours ago, bowrilla said:

General purpose quantum computers won't have an advantage over classic binary-based deterministic computers. This is just not how it works. Quantum computing only has advantages in very speciic applications. Browsing, Games, writing text in work is not one of it. Despite that: throw away ALL of your current software since nothing is compatible. So guys, please stop dreaming of quantium computers. They're NOT what you're thinking they are.

And considering AI – we do have AI. It's already all around us. What you guys are thinking of (I guess) are general purpose AI. That is a very dangerous thing and there's nothing like an AI processor unless you're thinking of the Titan V as an AI processor. Still, all neural networks are still just being projected on regular binary based structures. Add more cores and you improve performance.

The near future will bring a slowed development. We're close to the physical limit of silicon. There will be a new material being introduced within the next ~10-20 years. In the mean team we'll see further parallelization and rising core counts. Carbon nano tubes might be a possibility but the thing is: they aren't new and not even difficult to manufacture (heck, you can make them yourself at home with some tape and a pencil) yet we don't see them in many applications. Nanotubes have been around for about 30 years and yet in 2012 we've seen the first demonstration of 9nm transistor outperforming a Silicon based equivalent. There was a "computer" about a year later but that's kind of it. Nanotubes are not a miracle material. They might only push the limit for a couple of years maybe one or two decades but then we're at the same point again and quantum mechanics are knocking on the door again. 

Next thing is the human interface. How come people aren't surprised that the way we interact with our computers haven't much changed in decades? Keyboards haven't really changed. In fact the good old mechanical keyboards are more and more in demand again and the oldest ones seem to develop a mythical aura. Or what about the mice? The basic principle hasn't changed, the machanical balls got replaced by lasers but that's about it. The next ~30 years will bring a development of more and more "bionic" technology and a more direct way of interacting with electronic devices. I'm not talking about thought control (people usually have no idea how complicated that would actually be – ever tried to control your brain waves on command? gues what, it's really tricky!). Think of implanted input devices, maybe even microphnes for telecomunication, ear implants and maybe teven the first eye implants. We already have some very basic implants (think of cochlea implants) – the medical development will give (some) blind people sight again and some deaf people hearing. Those implants will probably be even better than the biological parts they're replacing. By the end of the century electronically improved/modified people will be around. It's not unlikely that people will have their personal computers/smartphones implanted. 

In the mean time: smart glasses. Google had its early take on smart glasses – for now they're done, yes. But they will come back. Augmented reality will most likely be the norm. 

And lastly: the merge of devices. We're already seing the beginning of this development. Think of tv sets 15-20 years ago. The first LCD and Plasma screens were around offering 720p or even 1080i for the first time – yet those sets were just plain displays with some speakers. They didn't have an OS running media content, streaming apps and so on – just displays. Today there's basically no point in having an AppleTV or a similar device anymore, you can just have one device to do all of it. Or think of MP3 players, walkmans/discmans/md player. You don't have those anymore, it's all in your phone. The merge of devices is obvious. This trend won't stop. I expect smartphones to be more and more powerful and replacing your regular computer at some point. We've already seen first attempts to acchieve this and 2-in laptops (or detachables) are on the rise. Combined with powerful wireless connections and smart devices around you can just send your video signal straight to the next big display, wireless power/charging and probably projected input devices on every surface.

I very much agree with you on the most of it, though I think carbon/graphene will take the rise over silicon. Even though the computing gains will be less than worth the new manufacturing process cost, the abundance of carbon will not only make it cheaper, but I would assume carbon could be siphoned out of pollution in the air and used in the same way they do for making pollution diamonds

https://ideas.ted.com/this-tower-sucks-up-smog-and-turns-it-into-diamonds/

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I think the future will see a move to optical computing. Optical transistors have already been built and are extremely fast and efficient. We already have our internet traffic traveling as multiple different wavelengths of light. Adding a higher energy frequency to the line would act as the power source and multiple streams could be processed as different wavelengths at the same time. Then we could have information entering and exiting as light without much transformation to and from electricity. Our limitation is that the components required to convert from electricity to light, and back again are very expensive... for now. 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, BennyJoe said:

Not necessarily the next step but I think the future holds a sort of organic computer not like flesh more like programming materials in to structures so we can get denser, smaller chips that will reboot moors law IDK that or light based computers . 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

On 10/09/2018 at 11:42 AM, WereCatf said:

Integrated fleshlights

tumblr_oocylaQfEY1qgd1rjo1_1280.png

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 9/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, BennyJoe said:

We will have quantum computers everywhere

Ideally i wanted something like the old IMSAIs and Altairs with a simple motherboard with a strong chipset, ISA-like expansion slots and literally nothing else.

I know its kinda crazy to think about looking towards ideas from the past and implement them now, but think about it, how many features are in your motherboard that you just don't use? 

Assuming you have a dedicated graphics card, what about the graphics processor you paid for when you bought the CPU and you're never going to use? 

What about attached audio codecs i couldn't give a damn about? What about USB 2.0 that i don't even use?

I think we could make machines, at least in the enthusiast range, with more modularity, you buy what you want and ignore what is superfluous to you.

imsai8080-topless.jpg.0855c6c6c7b9cf0657d35d7117d9d22c.jpg

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX