What's next for computers

BennyJoe

pre-installed crap-ware on motherboards when you download linux, windows or other OS

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

18 hours ago, poochyena said:

No more need of both ram and a ssd, they will be combined into a single super fast storage drive (or non-volatile ram).

I actually really like that idea.

As for my thoughts, realistically either the evolution of SATA or it's decline and eventual abandonment.  Which is kind of happening right now.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

5 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

...As for my thoughts, realistically either the evolution of SATA or it's decline and eventual abandonment.  Which is kind of happening right now.

SATA is far from abandonment. Even though SATA has reached its maximum possible speed without a new evolution (which is highly unlikely, given the development of NVMe), HDDs are still king for bulk data storage due to their lower costs. Since HDDs have yet to reach SATA III speeds (and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future), SATA (and SAS) will be around for a long time. HDDs have been increasing in capacity faster than SSDs, espeically the NVMe versions. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Quantum computers are best at specific things and they have to be in very specific environments. I think the next advancement in the transistor (As Warrie said) will be a different material, not necessarily carbon nanotubes but possibly a new type of polymer or carbon-based material.

- 7 nm Processors 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler