Intel's new microcode update forbids benchmark comparisons

exetras

Intel Publishes Microcode Security Patches, No Benchmarking Or Comparison Allowed!

Intel is updating its loadable CPU microcode to handle various side-channel and timing attacks. There is a new license term applied to the new microcode:

You will not, and will not allow any third party to (i) use, copy, distribute, sell or offer to sell the Software or associated documentation; (ii) modify, adapt, enhance, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, change or create derivative works from the Software except and only to the extent as specifically required by mandatory applicable laws or any applicable third party license terms accompanying the Software; (iii) use or make the Software available for the use or benefit of third parties; or (iv) use the Software on Your products other than those that include the Intel hardware product(s), platform(s), or software identified in the Software; or (v) publish or provide any Software benchmark or comparison test results.

Intel released a Microcode Update, with it a new EULA. which has a mention that you are not allowed to publish benchmark. Its written pretty openly so that they could take down content they dont like.

Discus!

Edit1 Link:

https://perens.com/2018/08/22/new-intel-microcode-license-restriction-is-not-acceptable/

Edit2 Link:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/21/intel_cpu_patch_licence/

Edit3, My Comments:

This is pure Poppycock! and it probably wouldn't stand in court. I feel intel's PR guy hasn't heard of the Streisand effect, as this will make everyone want to benchmark before and after the update.

They assured there wouldn't be any performance hits with these patches. This clause looks to me like they're hiding something. 

119.jpg

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, exetras said:

) publish or provide any Software benchmark or comparison test results

How badly did the microcode update cripple the CPUs if they're this terrified to allow benchmarks? 

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

They assured there wouldn't be any performance hits with these patches. This clause looks to me like they're hiding something. 

119.jpg

Streisand Effect much?

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

LoL Intel can put what they like in their EULA, reviews will still produce benchmarks and there's nothing Intel can do about it.  Thay can try take down the videos and sites, they cant do bugger all to specifc thread posts, and tbh any site or reviewer worth anything can easily stop their content from being taken down by citing consumer rights.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

How is this going to help them.

Go after the benchmarks and expect all to go away and no one will bat an eye ?

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

I have a feeling Steve and his magnificent hair are going to be ranting soon.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

You know what? Fuck Intel. We'll find out the truth one way or another.

Consumers have rights. They have the right to know how a product such as a CPU performs. And they certainly don't take orders from Intel.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Smells of damage limitation from Intel, AMD are coming for the enterprise DC space and making big waves on their return entrance.  On the other hand Intel are having all their last 3-5 years of performance improvements stripped away with vulnerability mitigation.

This will only add fuel to the resurgence of AMD in the datacenter and competition is good for everyone.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

When has a EULA ever stopped anyone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

This is very sketchy...

I bet AMD are very happy with how Nvidia and Intel are handling things lately.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Just now, KendoSapion said:

This is very sketchy...

I bet AMD are very happy with how Nvidia and Intel are handling things lately.

nvidia? what?

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Consumers have rights. They have the right to know how a product such as a CPU performs. And they certainly don't take orders from Intel.

lol think they can get by consumer rights lol?

maybe they just weaken their single core some making them barely ahead from only clockspeed at the moment

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

nvidia? what?

If you haven't noticed there are a LOT of nvidia fans claiming to be jumping ship, it's mostly just overreaction to the press conference but people are still very sketched out with the new RTX cards

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Consumers have rights.

You sound as if this is a life or death situation

Good thing EULA's are a joke and no court would allow this to go on

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount