Intel's new microcode update forbids benchmark comparisons

exetras

And the argument to switch to AMD keeps getting better and better!

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Intel bans benchmarks so no one notices performance hit > everyone hears the news and begins benchmarking due to suspicion >  intel cant do shit about since its our right to benchmark and compare products we buy.

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Intel Employee #1: Uh-oh, these test results aren't looking too good, what do we do?
Intel Employee #2: Oh shit... Umm... Let's not allow them to run the tests?
Intel Employee #1: GENIUS!

~Time passes~

Intel Employee #2: Uh, crap, people read the license.
Intel Employee #1: QUICK, ACTIVATE DAMAGE CONTROL MODE!

“We are updating the license now to address this and will have a new version available soon. As an active member of the open source community, we continue to welcome all feedback.”

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Not sure that stands up in court. Consumers have a right to compare products, and current products that recieve changes. 

Consumers yes. But not review sites like Anandtech. They might have to be much more careful.

Intel [Desperate] Inside. Good job, Intel, you made us much more curious about your sketchy EULA so we now gonna bench like MAD!!

AMD is getting more attractive now.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Call me skeptical, but can someone actually verify that "inteleula" was from an actual Intel source and not someone with too much time on their hands? Because the parent site of where the EULA text came from, https://paste.ubuntu.com/, looks like an anonymous version of pastebin where you can pretend to be anyone you want.

13 minutes ago, zheega said:

Consumers yes. But not review sites like Anandtech. They might have to be much more careful.

If they brought the cpu then they are consumers.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I was right! This was AMDs strat all along! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well that was fast. How did anyone approve this in the first place?

how is this patch coming out is it windows updats or driver updates from intel ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

almost there! you'd need to describe your feelings on the topic in the opening post as well

in the meantime I'll quote over what I said in the other thread:

I fell that I may switch to AMD next month...

jk

But seriously, this could cause Intel some serious issues with investors if their bottom line gets hit too hard by this. Hopefully, this will get cleared up. I don't think Intel is silly enough to actually pull this - unless they actually wanna shoot themselves in the foot :| 

they already killed about 10% performance in coffee lake with the spectre "fix" and now this?

these guys are a joke

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

13 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

they already killed about 10% performance in coffee lake with the spectre "fix" and now this?

these guys are a joke

10% lol

where you getting this?

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

10% lol

where you getting this?

CPU-Z

my old unpatched 8350k topped 470 points on CPU-Z sc bench, unpatched F3 BIOS (factory release)

a friend now has that 8350k and a similar board but with F6 BIOS version, his benchmark is hovering around 400 and 408

the CPU needs to run at 4.3GHz in order to hit 470 points

both tests done on freshly installed windows 7, with 8GB @2933 MHz single channel memory and using the iGPU

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Might be time to dump any Intel stock you have for now. This looks really bad for them. 

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Call me skeptical, but can someone actually verify that "inteleula" was from an actual Intel source and not someone with too much time on their hands? Because the parent site of where the EULA text came from, https://paste.ubuntu.com/, looks like an anonymous version of pastebin where you can pretend to be anyone you want.

Even if it wasn't anonymous Intel would not post their EULA on a pastebin type site, why would they? They have their own website and C+P EULAs are what you expect from that random dude on GitHub rather than industry giant Intel.

The best explanation would the this is partly leaked and the leaker would just want a place that others can access.

10 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

The best explanation would the this is partly leaked and the leaker would just want a place that others can access.

Since Intel acknowledged it (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/23/intel_microcode_license/), I will concede that whatever was posted to the pastebin was real. However, the fact that it was on an anonymous pastebin platform and people were eating it up like it was truth upsets me.

Because what's stopping someone from making a malformed EULA and posting it there as something official looking?

Edited by M.Yurizaki

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

My mother is a lawyer and she has talked about how UELA have little to no power. She says that alot of companies have EULAs that have part that would never hold up in court. At the end of the day this would be super illegal and wouldn't even make it to a court case. They would just throw out the case tbh. 

That's not what I learned in law school. I remember my first day they told us EULA are enforceable. 

Now I am not a contract lawyer and have not studied contract law for years, an actual contract lawyer can get into the nitty gritty. Plus most my education was in the common law in Canada, so what I say is mostly true for Canada and not true world wide.

The only type of EULAs which might not be enforceable are Shrink Wrap Contracts. In the U.S. the law is split, one court decisions ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg, 86 F. 3d. 1447 (7th Cir. 1996) held that they are enforceable, while another Klocek v. Gateway, Inc 104 F. Supp. 2d. 1332 held they are not. It will depend on which state you live in. That is unless the UCC is updated to resolves the issue once and for all and the state legislatures all adopt the new UCC . 

All other EULAs are enforceable. In the U.S. they are called Click-Through License Agreements. EULAs are considered a form of a Standard Form Contract, and the Under the Article 2 of the UCC (in the U.S.) and under the Common Law (commonwealth countries) EULAs are enforceable as such. But because they are Standard Form Contracts, they are subject to several limitation which are not typically found in typical bilateral contracts. 

Generally, to be enforceable, a person must enter into the contract with the intent to be bound by the contract. With a typical bilateral contract which is negotiated and hammered out, all aspects of it are enforceable unless a limited number of exceptions apply. The assumption is both parties are equal in power, they probably discussed every clause in the contract, and they agreed to bound by every single term in the contract and agreed to every clause in the contract. So the contract is enforceable. There are a handful of limitations such as mistake (mutual and unilateral), duress or undue influence, unconscionability, misrepresentation or fraud, impossibility or impracticability, and frustration of purpose.

Standard Form Contract there is an unequal bargaining power, they are typically a take or leave it deal, they are imposed on us, and there usually is not enough time to understand the implications of each clause of the contract. For these reasons Standard Form Contracts have limited enforceability. 

The general rule is that anything in a Standard Form Contract are enforceable on the whole against the party which drafted it.  But on the other party (the party assenting to the EULA), the terms are only enforceable so long as those terms are normally expected to be found in such a contract. Any term that is unusual or particularly onerous, must be pointed out with particularly to be enforceable (i.e. bolded, in red, with the right to sign on the side, etc.) otherwise it will be unenforceable. Tilden Rent-A-Car Co. v. Clendenning (1978), 83 DLR (3d) 400,

For example, in your cell phone contract the clause about long distance calling being subject to a higher rate is generally enforceable because as consumers we expect this to be part of the terms of the contract. But a clause stating that you must pay your long-distance bill in pennies at a particular location would not be enforceable because that is considered unusual and onerous clause (pennies are heavy).  So unless it was pointed out to you with particularity and you assented it is not enforceable. 

With, EULAs since all we do is click agree and we have no right to negotiate the terms, they are considered Standard Form Contracts and are enforceable as such. In this case, the question will turn on whether the clause about publishing benchmarks is either particularly onerous or an unusual contract terms and whether Intel pointed it out with particularity. 

Is that a challenge, Intel?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

6 hours ago, Sober2ndThought said:

That's not what I learned in law school. I remember my first day they told us EULA are enforceable. 

Now I am not a contract lawyer and have not studied contract law for years, an actual contract lawyer can get into the nitty gritty. Plus most my education was in the common law in Canada, so what I say is mostly true for Canada and not true world wide.

The only type of EULAs which might not be enforceable are Shrink Wrap Contracts. In the U.S. the law is split, one court decisions ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg, 86 F. 3d. 1447 (7th Cir. 1996) held that they are enforceable, while another Klocek v. Gateway, Inc 104 F. Supp. 2d. 1332 held they are not. It will depend on which state you live in. That is unless the UCC is updated to resolves the issue once and for all and the state legislatures all adopt the new UCC . 

All other EULAs are enforceable. In the U.S. they are called Click-Through License Agreements. EULAs are considered a form of a Standard Form Contract, and the Under the Article 2 of the UCC (in the U.S.) and under the Common Law (commonwealth countries) EULAs are enforceable as such. But because they are Standard Form Contracts, they are subject to several limitation which are not typically found in typical bilateral contracts. 

Generally, to be enforceable, a person must enter into the contract with the intent to be bound by the contract. With a typical bilateral contract which is negotiated and hammered out, all aspects of it are enforceable unless a limited number of exceptions apply. The assumption is both parties are equal in power, they probably discussed every clause in the contract, and they agreed to bound by every single term in the contract and agreed to every clause in the contract. So the contract is enforceable. There are a handful of limitations such as mistake (mutual and unilateral), duress or undue influence, unconscionability, misrepresentation or fraud, impossibility or impracticability, and frustration of purpose.

Standard Form Contract there is an unequal bargaining power, they are typically a take or leave it deal, they are imposed on us, and there usually is not enough time to understand the implications of each clause of the contract. For these reasons Standard Form Contracts have limited enforceability. 

The general rule is that anything in a Standard Form Contract are enforceable on the whole against the party which drafted it.  But on the other party (the party assenting to the EULA), the terms are only enforceable so long as those terms are normally expected to be found in such a contract. Any term that is unusual or particularly onerous, must be pointed out with particularly to be enforceable (i.e. bolded, in red, with the right to sign on the side, etc.) otherwise it will be unenforceable. Tilden Rent-A-Car Co. v. Clendenning (1978), 83 DLR (3d) 400,

For example, in your cell phone contract the clause about long distance calling being subject to a higher rate is generally enforceable because as consumers we expect this to be part of the terms of the contract. But a clause stating that you must pay your long-distance bill in pennies at a particular location would not be enforceable because that is considered unusual and onerous clause (pennies are heavy).  So unless it was pointed out to you with particularity and you assented it is not enforceable. 

With, EULAs since all we do is click agree and we have no right to negotiate the terms, they are considered Standard Form Contracts and are enforceable as such. In this case, the question will turn on whether the clause about publishing benchmarks is either particularly onerous or an unusual contract terms and whether Intel pointed it out with particularity. 

My mother is a contract lawyer and she reviews contracts for a living. She was saying they have little to no power because they have such stringent limitations on them. Yeah they can get you for obvious stuff like misuse of education grade software for commercial use but not for doing benchmarks. People think they are the same as legally binding documents when they aren't. If they have anything out if the ordinary they are not enforceable. If they conflict with any laws such as consumer protection laws they aren't enforceable. There are so many ways for a EULA to be considered unenforceable that they have little power. This case would be cut and dry. Intel would lose in a second because of consumer protection laws.