Threadripper 2 Officially Announced (Unboxing Embargo Lifted)

ars3n1k

I wonder if AMD sent a document of how to make the platform stable, like the Ryzen 1 and 2 launched did.

13 hours ago, Nicnac said:

All I'm saying is I still run a 6 core phenom II on occasion :S

Phenom II chips are still nice little chips.  I actually had a Duo core that unlocked to Quad when I did my first build.

Though, I'm just not really interested in those two top TR chips.  Instead, I waiting out on what the new motherboards will be like (please let there be WS boards).

Still, hopefully some reviews of these chips doing actual work loads that make sense on them show up.  I just don't really care much for synthetic benchmarks.  The biggest deal, with these becoming more prominent, will it finally make software developers update their applications to be NUMA aware.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 8/6/2018 at 4:03 PM, BuckGup said:

Competitive ryzen, delayed 10nm by a year compared to AMD, EPYC taking market share, spectre, meltdown, toothpaste TIM, and more. Of course they aren’t going to disappear but they should not have been sitting around doing nothing for 4 years

Until the data center starts moving away from Xeons to EPYC (which I have yet to see any data on) - they're going to be fine. This idea is almost meme territory. 

DCs don't care about bleeding edge performance as much as performance per watt (energy costs and cooling costs). A lot of the industry has moved to a cloud computing model. The market for Threadripper type systems (as well as Intel HEDT) is very small. I may buy an AMD system next, but that doesn't mean Intel will lose very much market share at all. 

15 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Yesus, who is this wanker? It sounded like some dude got drunk, watched too many of OzzyManReviews videos and tried to do the same, just for tech theme

He is actually on point. If you go down that list you can see a clear flip flop on all their channels and how they dominate simple search queries.. Man alive, JayZNonsense does a threadripper dream build then drops it like a brick.....  And the build is hella fugly AF and he claims to purposely build it to be so.  . ...who is Ozzy in that scenario?

19 hours ago, cj09beira said:

and 10nm will launch less dense than it was supposed to

I hope so! I don’t want a dumb processor node!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Intel is not going to crash but amd is getting best results ever since 8 years and intel just has not anything new...

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:03 PM, BuckGup said:

Competitive ryzen, delayed 10nm by a year compared to AMD, EPYC taking market share, spectre, meltdown, toothpaste TIM, and more. Of course they aren’t going to disappear but they should not have been sitting around doing nothing for 4 years

Dude your posts are hilarious.

Not sure if its cheap flamewar bait or serious.

The only outcome i expect from intel as early as i7 9700k/i9 9900k is the removal of iGPU in top of the line desktop processors, replaced with more cores and competitive pricing. Im done with intel thinking that have alien tech 1000 years ahead of everyone and ignoring the market needs selling locked garbage silicon with redundant parts inside.

17 hours ago, descendency said:

Until the data center starts moving away from Xeons to EPYC (which I have yet to see any data on) - they're going to be fine. This idea is almost meme territory. 

DCs don't care about bleeding edge performance as much as performance per watt (energy costs and cooling costs). A lot of the industry has moved to a cloud computing model. The market for Threadripper type systems (as well as Intel HEDT) is very small. I may buy an AMD system next, but that doesn't mean Intel will lose very much market share at all. 

Well you didn't watch computex. Here is a quite from a Forbes article about the event info. 

The proof of any new server processor is in market adoption. AMD EPYC is now available in mainstream server OEM brands: Cisco UCS (new), Dell EMCPowerEdge, HPE ProLiant (new single-socket DL325 Gen10 server) and Supermicro Ultra. In addition, EYPC is deployed in many of the largest cloud platforms, including Baidu Cloud, Microsoft Azure and now Tencent Cloud.

I would say they are making good headway into the server market and Intel themselves admitted that they are going to lose market share to AMD in the server market. It's funny how everyone dismisses all of the thought if AMD hurting Intel sales when it's clear that it's already happening. We are likely to see adaptation of epyc increase as time goes on and this isn't good for Intel. Is it going to make them disappear but it will hurt them none the less. 

20 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

just watched Hardwarecanucks' threadripper 2 build update video. says review embargo lifts next week ,_,

There’s now stages to embargoes. 

1 Unboxing and announcement videos (spec released and shown off pretty packaging for reviewers only) 

2 Review/performance embargoes 

keeps the name of the product in people’s eyes longer

11 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's funny how everyone dismisses all of the thought if AMD hurting Intel sales when it's clear that it's already happening. We are likely to see adaptation of epyc increase as time goes on and this isn't good for Intel. Is it going to make them disappear but it will hurt them none the less. 

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that everyone is dismissing the thought of AMD hurting Intel's sales.

I think the general pushback you're seeing is just reminders that, while this IS great news for AMD,

Intel is FAR from being "ruined" or in danger.

Let's all let a couple quarters go by and take another look at market share then, at which point we can assess how much damage EPYC/Ryzen is really capable of putting out.

3 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that everyone is dismissing the thought of AMD hurting Intel's sales.

I think the general pushback you're seeing is just reminders that, while this IS great news for AMD,

Intel is FAR from being "ruined" or in danger.

Let's all let a couple quarters go by and take another look at market share then, at which point we can assess how much damage EPYC/Ryzen is really capable of putting out.

especially on the server side you will only start seeing good volume shipping in the last quarter of this year as until now most of the volume went to small orders so that admins could validate the hardware and see how it performed with their own workloads, which funnily enough will be really close to the launch of Epyc 2. Another big market is OEMs and laptops both of which amd hasn't had much luck with until now but those should be ready in time for the back to school season so will see how it goes.

On 8.08.2018 at 4:36 AM, I Love Street said:

He is actually on point

To me he just sounded like someone who just loves to hear his own voice.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones