AMD reports Threadripper 2990 is upto 50% faster than the Intel 7980

Master Disaster
14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The core feature of AMD CPUs is the amount of cores.

MOARCOARS.jpg

Remember this meme in 2019 ;)

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Yeah, but that's what Graphics cards do  like 10 Years or so ;)

So why is it wrong, when the "IPC" Route is used and higher clockrates aren't really possible either.

While you could build a 7GHz CPU today, if you use AMDs Bulldozer design with modern manufacturing technologys. Remember that one reached 5GHz while being manufactured in 32nm - right now we have 14nm...

Though the power consumption would probably be not any better than back in the day. But we would have had 6-7GHz Core Clock!!111

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Uh just because it had 32 phases doesnt mean it's gonna be fine. Quad socket systems dont usually hit 1kw of power consumption (250w per chip), that single 28 core at 5ghz was pulling over 1000 watts

It's covered here: 

The 7980XE is about 1000W under LN2, so 55% more is about 1600W which means the VRMs are dumping "only" 125W of heat.  That heatsink can easily cover that given its size and 4x fans.  

So...point being that 5.1Ghz with Ln2 for threadripper is pretty piss poor and the 28C Intel part should be able to blow past that without exploding a motherboard...under LN2.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's covered here: 

The 7980XE is about 1000W under LN2, so 55% more is about 1600W which means the VRMs are dumping "only" 125W of heat.  That heatsink can easily cover that given its size and 4x fans.  

So...point being that 5.1Ghz with Ln2 for threadripper is pretty piss poor and the 28C Intel part should be able to blow past that without exploding a motherboard...under LN2.

A 32 core cpu selling for 1800 that can reach 5.1 ghz on ln2 is not piss poor. A 10 core was selling for around that price just a few years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

A 32 core cpu selling for 1800 that can reach 5.1 ghz on ln2 is not piss poor. A 10 core was selling for around that price just a few years ago. 

They're trying to show "oh look at us we have the highest score in Cinebench on this bar graph".  Well...yeah...because they're putting LN2 up against a chilled water setup.  If you go apples to apples and put that 28C part on LN2 then it'll by far be top dog, with 4 fewer cores.

The previous comments were basically "yeah but you'll explode a VRM putting 28C on LN2" and my replies are to explain that no, you won't.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

14 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

They're trying to show "oh look at us we have the highest score in Cinebench on this bar graph".  Well...yeah...because they're putting LN2 up against a chilled water setup.  If you go apples to apples and put that 28C part on LN2 then it'll by far be top dog, with 4 fewer cores.

The previous comments were basically "yeah but you'll explode a VRM putting 28C on LN2" and my replies are to explain that no, you won't.

Shame on AMD. Trying to trick the consumers, LN2 overclocking their CPU at a press only event.

I mean come on! look at this man! How the hell are we supposed to see that he is LN2 overclocking?

A3588507

How is poor Intel supposed to hide a setup like that in that desk of theirs?

Bilderesultat for intel 5 ghz processor

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yes, LN2 vs LN2 would be definitely interesting except that there is a big catch. 

Ryzen/TR can be run with a full pot.

SkylakeX behaves absolutely terrible with its almost inexhaustible supply of cold bugs. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm really curious now. I wonder how much the 16 phase (via doublers?) VRM of my P5Q Deluxe can output before its heatsink setup can no longer dissipate the heat fast enough (some of the problem with it is the Northbridge running extremely hot and sharing half of the VRM's heatsinks).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Man, AMD is on point recently. Ryzen 5 and 3 melt the face off Intel's mid range/budget offerings, and now this

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

32 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes, LN2 vs LN2 would be definitely interesting except that there is a big catch. 

Ryzen/TR can be run with a full pot.

SkylakeX behaves absolutely terrible with its almost inexhaustible supply of cold bugs. 

There are two things to consider:

a) not all CPUs react (well) to LN2

b) traditionally AMD CPU have less problems with "Cold Bug" issues than Intel.

c) it might not be possible to use LN2 on Intel at all or its very complicated.

But you already mentioned that it might not be possible to do LN2 on Intel right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

32 cores vs 18 with similar clockspeeds and maybe 10% in IPC between them (or less)?  Sounds about right to me.  Not shocking in the least really.

That was my first impression, too.  It's like saying that the 18-core i9 is over 50% faster than the 8-core Ryzen 7 in multi-threading.  Kind of a 'no duh' moment, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

lmao piss poor. Enjoy your 1 in a million binned, $4k MSRP 28 core that runs on 1 of 2 motherboards and pulls 1.6kw. Now that sounds piss poor to me

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

lmao piss poor. Enjoy your 1 in a million binned, $4k MSRP 28 core that runs on 1 of 2 motherboards and pulls 1.6kw. Now that sounds piss poor to me

I mean, the fact that a CPU with an insane core count even reached 5GHz at all is something. 

Remember that Intel's XE chips and ThreadRipper have different designs. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Swatson said:

MOARCOARS.jpg

Remember this meme in 2019 ;)

I guess you could say Moore's Law has been replaced by Cores Law?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 8/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, Master Disaster said:

Keller is a CPU architect, he's the best in the business but anything he can do is literally years away.

Intel are stuck at a higher node than AMD and that's going to be the case for a good few years.

I'm struggling to see how Intel can respond to this.

They can, even on 14nm.

They have to get rid of expensive monolithic die, hence copy AMD infinityfabric scalability with high yield dies for HEDT/Server, and get rid of the iGPU which takes 1/3 of the silicon mainstream chips, instead make more cores for that 1/3rd of wasted silicon on high end chips for Desktop/Workstation, they already have the capacity to respons to AMD this year and next year. Simply removing iGPU in high end chips will allow them to add at least 2 extra cores. Which is exactly what they might do with new i7/i9 series 8 core but if they make 8 cores i7/i9 1151 socket without removing iGPU those will be some hell expensive chips and AMD will still have better offerring, not to mention next year they will have the node advantage and 12-16 core CPU's on AM4 wtf intel.

Altough the situation flipped in favor of AMD very fast, way too fast, in less than 2 years AMD is looking at intel in their backmirror? like wtf, they were trailing miles behind them. Maybe intel thought sandbagging performance and "riding in 5th gear at 2000rpm" will keep them ahead of AMD forever lol.

So a 32 cores processor outperforms in multi-threded synthetic benchmark a 18 cores cpu? ohh ohhh miind bloownn ohh... seriously...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

So a 32 cores processor outperforms in multi-threded synthetic benchmark a 18 cores cpu? ohh ohhh miind bloownn ohh... seriously...

People are more freaking out that the 32c is beating the 18c by as much as expect but at a price point that is far better then ever before seen. to get this level of performance is about the same as 2 x 24c epycs or 2 equivalent xeons, the cost would be 2-4 times as much. how is that not impressive?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

If you don't think in terms of a 32 vs 18 cores match. Instead two CPUs with similar MSRP, then yes.

57 minutes ago, yian88 said:

They can, even on 14nm.

They have to get rid of expensive monolithic die, hence copy AMD infinityfabric scalability with high yield dies for HEDT/Server, and get rid of the iGPU which takes 1/3 of the silicon mainstream chips, instead make more cores for that 1/3rd of wasted silicon on high end chips for Desktop/Workstation, they already have the capacity to respons to AMD this year and next year. Simply removing iGPU in high end chips will allow them to add at least 2 extra cores. Which is exactly what they might do with new i7/i9 series 8 core but if they make 8 cores i7/i9 1151 socket without removing iGPU those will be some hell expensive chips and AMD will still have better offerring, not to mention next year they will have the node advantage and 12-16 core CPU's on AM4 wtf intel.

Altough the situation flipped in favor of AMD very fast, way too fast, in less than 2 years AMD is looking at intel in their backmirror? like wtf, they were trailing miles behind them. Maybe intel thought sandbagging performance and "riding in 5th gear at 2000rpm" will keep them ahead of AMD forever lol.

intel is probably already working on something like that but it takes years apon years to develop such tech, amd for now has an advantage but intel is probably going to fightback soon enough 

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

intel is probably already working on something like that but it takes years apon years to develop such tech, amd for now has an advantage but intel is probably going to fightback soon enough 

thing I dont understand why people use monolithic die argument at all when intel is currently showing its making more per chip by far in low end up especially cuz they have their own fab and we dont even know the success rates of those higher core cpus

and I bet their 10nm problems are because they require certain success rate on nodes before going full production

and on that note intel is spending fab time on quantum chips right now(5 per week according to this article https://www.techspot.com/news/75020-intel-now-capable-producing-full-silicon-wafers-quantum.html),

53 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

People are more freaking out that the 32c is beating the 18c by as much as expect but at a price point that is far better then ever before seen. to get this level of performance is about the same as 2 x 24c epycs or 2 equivalent xeons, the cost would be 2-4 times as much. how is that not impressive?

Because they have a bad taste of Ryzen in their mouth.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, yian88 said:

Altough the situation flipped in favor of AMD very fast, way too fast, in less than 2 years AMD is looking at intel in their backmirror? like wtf, they were trailing miles behind them. 

Lots of people are posting this but in reality it was not fast. AMD started working on Zen cores on 2012. If you only look at the period after the final products hit the market it seems like a sudden comeback. In reality they were slaving away for years, while the company was making losses they focused their R&D on Zen and just tried to survive until it was ready...

12 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Lots of people are posting this but in reality it was not fast. AMD started working on Zen cores on 2012. If you only look at the period after the final products hit the market it seems like a sudden comeback. In reality they were slaving away for years, while the company was making losses they focused their R&D on Zen and just tried to survive until it was ready...

You can also think in this way. Intel knew at least since 2012 that AMD will have an all new architecture coming. Why Intel doesn't do enough to prevent AMD from leap ahead? With the resources Intel has, they can stay in front by bring out more cores CPUs with lower price. But they choose not to.

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

And if you want multi thread performance why would you buy the Intel 7980XE over the AMD 2990WX. Does the number of cores really matter in this situation where we know the performance and the price? Not really. Only thing left to check is application performance then make a decision based on that.

People are freaking out due to the price, that's basically it. If the 2990WX was $10k no one would care, but it's not $10k.