AMD reports Threadripper 2990 is upto 50% faster than the Intel 7980

Master Disaster
5 minutes ago, pas008 said:

see post above

The HEDT CPU is going to be getting around the 5000 points mark like that 8180 OC, that's a 33% OC on water. Stock might not even be quite that good but still close, the arch and process just can't do much more than that at such high core counts without severe thermal and power limitations.

Also all these Xeons are soldered and as such total best case thermal wise, I don't doubt the rumors that Intel will be soldering these upcoming ones as I just don't see it being possible to not and have competitive clocks.

:o 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The HEDT CPU is going to be getting around the 5000 points mark like that 8180 OC, that's a 33% OC on water. Stock might not even be quite that good but still close, the arch and process just can't do much more than that at such high core counts without severe thermal and power limitations.

Also all these Xeons are soldered and as such total best case thermal wise, I don't doubt the rumors that Intel will be soldering these upcoming ones as I just don't see it being possible to not and have competitive clocks.

no going to argue with you but we both know server grade vs enthusiast grade never matches up completely in performance/heat/etc because things are tweaked

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Unboxing Videos have started showing up.

Honestly what is the point of having a CPU unboxing video? 

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

ok but that is on the server

threadripper is on enthusiast which have higher clocks than epyc

we do not know what the enthusiast 28 core is going to clock at or scores

that comparison would be like comparing 7980 vs epyc in single threaded

You're not addressing the real point here. As i stated later on in the post you quoted earlier.

''Even if it does not retain the performance throne, the price is insane and i don't think AMD is selling it at low margins.''

The performance of the 2990WX is not that important, it doesn't have to beat Intel's flagship CPU. The point is that Intel is being forced to take their golden goose behind the barn and slaughter it. With a 32 core CPU at less than 2000 dollars, Intel can't keep selling 28 core CPUs at 10 000 dollars. Who knows what is next for AMDs Epyc lineup?

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Honestly what is the point of having a CPU unboxing video? 

Have you seen the box?

If it was a classic blue or red box i would agree...

But just look at it

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Have you seen the box?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Have you seen the box?

If it was a classic blue or red box i would agree...

But just look at it

Dont get me wrong the box is legit. But give me some damn benchmarks!!!!! lol

12 minutes ago, pas008 said:

no going to argue with you but we both know server grade vs enthusiast grade never matches up completely in performance/heat/etc because things are tweaked

Yep which is exactly why that 8180 OC is really good to look at, 33% OC is extremely good especially for BLK only OC. It's not like it's a AIO or anything either to get that.

image_id_2020187.jpeg

Very sexy :).

The only actual tweaks that matter is the clocks, disabling ECC does nothing heat/power/performance wise. Actual higher stock multiplier/clocks and unlock multiplier is obviously better than BLK OC but if you're hitting thermal or power limits it makes no difference between the two, it's just way harder to get stable clocks using BLK because it throws off ram and PCIe clocks as well.

Edit:

Plus I keep forgetting there is an LTT CES video covering one of these 28 core samples on custom loop water with the unlocked multiplier and a CB run shown.

6109 on water OC, so 5000 stock does seem reasonable to me.

NDA

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Not allowed to do until official launch I'm afraid

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

isn't intel doing a 28 core Sylake X chip later this year to compete?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I know that, but dont tease with an unboxing.

would you rather have a announcement/reveal video without a unboxing?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, see Gamer Nexus video :).

They are not bound by a NDA, and also release more information then allowed.

The info was nice but other videos where more interesting to watch, GN was nice to listen to.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So does anyone have any idea when NDA lifts?

Would be nice to find out if AMD (or maybe even WCCF are lying) though for whatever reason I actually believe these numbers are not a million miles away.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

They are not bound by a NDA, and also release more information then allowed.

The info was nice but other videos where more interesting to watch, GN was nice to listen to.

I still preferred the GN video to the unboxings, 1 picture of the box is all and need (and have already). I'd rather just hear some details about the product even without benchmarks than watch a bunch of fumbling with knives and boxes.

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So does anyone have any idea when NDA lifts?

Would be nice to find out if AMD (or maybe even WCCF are lying) though for whatever reason I actually believe these numbers are not a million miles away.

13th, the day you can buy them/launch day.

Preorder don't count

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

It's a very small segment with low yields, 

nope, with how AMD makes chips try 70-80% of chips being able to be used as threadripper.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs