Apple Nearly Worth 1 Trillion Dollars

Can we PLEASE separate Samsung from "all of Android" in arguments? I see too many times people comparing Apple to Samsung and using Samsung as an example for ALL of Android. That is just wrong. I'm over here with my last 3 phones being LG and have had 0 issues and they are all fairly good quality products, and I keep seeing people bash Samsung for their products or practices and turn around and lump ALL of Android in with it. If you have a specific issue with Android, fine, I will accept that. But Samsung even heavily modifies Android to their own specifications, so its not the same on other manufactures devices. I personally see Samsung trying to make their devices and software more "simple" or "streamlined" like Apple and some of the ways they are doing this are causing bad design/devices (s7) or things users don't like (like bixby).

So come on guys, no one is comparing Apple to Windows, it's Apple to Microsoft, i.e. Apple to Samsung, Or iOS to Android (but even nowadays you need to specify which Android and from which manufacturer.)

On topic... As much as I don't like seeing Apple potentially be the first Trillion dollar company, I can't say I am surprised. I mean, we know their products are marked up, we know they have huge margins, and we know they are one of the most popular companies in the world... the math adds up. lol.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

And again, companies are no different in this regard than the rest of the population.

Yes they are, because they have the money to bend the rules to suit them and to pay an army of lawyers to dissuade anyone from taking them to court.

17 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

No, but Apple is an American company so it's not that hard to expect them to not put dual SIM in their phones.

The majority of their sales happen in China.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

It’s only funny when it’s true

Right, so mine was funny and his wasn't right? :^ )

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

i read it, did you? it wasn't legal and i don't care what you call it, like i already said.

I did. They weren't fined. They had to pay the tax due + interest due, which is standard and in no way a fine (it is also only being put in escrow, pending the appeals, which will likely take a long, long time). Also, they were adhering to the laws of the ROI, the EC felt that it was providing an artificial advantage to Apple due to the way the tax was actually being collected only on sales in Ireland and not on the full sales income. Apple weren't hiding what they were doing from anyone. This is also why the ROI were also contesting the need to receive the €13 billion themselves, despite it likely providing a good boost to their economy at least in the shorter term.

I'm in no way defending Apple as, to be honest, I think they should be paying actual tax due on all earnings, as should any company. However what you said was factually incorrect, and in this world of people claiming everything is fake news, it's worthwhile being as correct about things as you can be.

9 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't the Trashcan Mac Pro assembled in the USA?

It is, but that’s an old dead product. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Shorty88jr said:

What I don't like is them acting like their products cost that much and pretend they don't have huge margins on their products

Who is doing that? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

So? How is that impressive. British East India company not only once was a giant monopoly worth huge loads of money but it also had like conrtolled over an entire Indian subcontienent, rullin over hundred millions of its inhabitants while also being the biggest drug dealers selling opium to the chinese. How's that for a real life, historical evil corporation-government that functions just like those seen in the movies?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

34 minutes ago, IntMD said:

I did. They weren't fined. They had to pay the tax due + interest due, which is standard and in no way a fine (it is also only being put in escrow, pending the appeals, which will likely take a long, long time). Also, they were adhering to the laws of the ROI, the EC felt that it was providing an artificial advantage to Apple due to the way the tax was actually being collected only on sales in Ireland and not on the full sales income. Apple weren't hiding what they were doing from anyone. This is also why the ROI were also contesting the need to receive the €13 billion themselves, despite it likely providing a good boost to their economy at least in the shorter term.

I'm in no way defending Apple as, to be honest, I think they should be paying actual tax due on all earnings, as should any company. However what you said was factually incorrect, and in this world of people claiming everything is fake news, it's worthwhile being as correct about things as you can be.

boy you sure love semantics. When a court decides you have to pay something isn't that a fine (i'm not a native English speaker. And i did separate fine and payment in the post)? nevertheless they had to pay what they hadn't pay as the court ordered. Phrase it as you please.

Wow, that really drives it home just how huge they are.  I mean, that number is just insane.  Call me crazy but I feel like it might not be such a good thing for a company to be that huge, and I know they're not the only one at or nearing that size...

edit:

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Fun fact: Apple might be about to reach $1 trillion, but they're not the most valued company in history. That title belongs to the Dutch East India Company, back in the 1600's

Yeah and do we actually want that again?  Think about the kinds of things they did :P

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

boy you sure love semantics. When a court decides you have to pay something isn't that a fine (i'm not a native English speaker. And i did separate fine and payment in the post)? nevertheless they had to pay what they hadn't pay as the court ordered. Phrase it as you please.

I can understand the confusion for a non-native speaker, fair enough, but it's all about the semantics. When you don't particularly want people to say potentially libellous things which, while it's almost certain nothing would happen because it's a forum post and nobody really cares, best to not let it happen if you can help it. :)

Wasn't technically a court either, but it's all good. ;)

16 minutes ago, wasab said:

So? How is that impressive. British East India company not only once was a giant monopoly worth huge loads of money but it also had like conrtolled over an entire Indian subcontienent, rullin over hundred millions of its inhabitants while also being the biggest drug dealers selling opium to the chinese. How's that for a real life, historical evil corporation-government that functions just like those seen in the movies?

To start, Apple isn't a monopoly, doesn't have effective control over populations and isn't setting out ruin people in the name of profit.  You can criticize its use of tax loopholes and its mixed success improving labor conditions at contractors, but this is not a de facto government.  I know, you like to pretend you're a brave Linux resistance soldier fighting the evil megacorporations, but the boring reality is that Apple is a business, not a sinister empire.

Second: remember, this is the company that nearly went bankrupt in 1997.  It went from the brink of oblivion to being the most valuable company on the planet in just over 20 years.  It's impressive precisely because few companies engineer such a comeback story, let alone manage to redefine the computing experience in the process.

They could buy a small country if they wanted to now lol

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The modern people nowadays are very technoholic. So, if Apple gets the title as the first trillion-dollar company, I will not be surprised for Apple is one of the best and popular electronic company in the world. I just hope that Apple will fix their service to ensure the satisfaction of all Apple users.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

When a loophole knowingly exists for decades it's no longer unintended; at the end of the day, the government is choosing to leave the exemptions in place.

"a means of escape; especially : an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded". That is the definition of a loophole. In this context it's a way to evade the intent of the tax code. If it was intended then it wouldn't be considered a loophole. Calling a sale akin to a loophole is absolute nonsense. 

57 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Who is doing that? 

What do you mean Apple that's who why do you think their replacement parts are so expensive Apple sells the idea that the products cost more to make thus making people think they are worth more.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:30 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Macs are like any other computer and don’t age poorly. 10+ year old PCs can run just fine today if they were high end and got a few modern upgrades. 

Windows as an os kinda ages like crap tbh. You eventually have to do some work to clean it up again and then it runs about the same as it did when you bought it. I don't know much about apple's os so I can't say how it ages but I know alot of people who have older Windows laptops that complain that it is running way slower than it should be. I do a simple reset and the computer is suddenly fast again. They are usually amazed at how big the difference is. So I think the idea of Windows pcs not gaming well is more down to the OS getting bloated more than anything else. 

when a luxury electronic brand as a market cap 10 or 5 times bigger than the likes of Chevron or Maersk.

Fun world to live in.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

All that money and they still can't figure out how to put ports on their computers/phones. I didn't know it was so hard.

The biggest problem I see with them is that their newer devices have so many problems, I'm surprised any thinking individual would purchase one. The hardware just isn't there yet. For the price that you're paying you would think it wouldn't have only one or two ports, thermal issues, breaking keyboards, soldered parts, and wonky displays. There are a few things they are doing right though, like their software is pretty okay- I wouldn't personally use it though. The sense of security and privacy they give you is good too, better than companies such as Google or Microsoft.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, that really drives it home just how huge they are.  I mean, that number is just insane.  Call me crazy but I feel like it might not be such a good thing for a company to be that huge, and I know they're not the only one at or nearing that size...

edit:

Yeah and do we actually want that again?  Think about the kinds of things they did :P

I'm not saying I want it, I'm just saying it's not impressive to me.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Well it's a different world now, the path to that kind of size is a bit different.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

East India Trading company was also basically a de facto government, guess which country...

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

It will happen even if Apple doesn't add any value to it's business. 7% is 2 years of inflation at the CPI.

7 hours ago, Swatson said:

East India Trading company was also basically a de facto government, guess which country...

Yeah, the UK? What's your meaning ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

28 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Yeah, the UK? What's your meaning ?

No, it was India but the British government had a huge hand in it and did end up absorbing it

My point is that comparing what is effectively a company the size and with the power of a country isn't the same as Apple

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

No

"no" what? Great Britain (London ,England to be precise) owned it.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530