1 hour ago, Swatson said:

>be ltt forums
>someone shits on apple
>no one jerks off any company
>posts snide greentext to feel like he's won an argument

giphy.gif

It’s only funny when it’s true 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats because the point was already made that Apple is pretty much the worst offender for tax evasion, yet aren't being taken to court over it like Google has. The projection seems more like it's okay for Apple to do it, yet LTT forums shits all over MS or Google for anything else.

I guess we're supposed to praise Apple for ripping off people with insane margins and offshoring profits to screw over consumers even more.

If it’s the cheeky Apple vs Google vs Microsoft, let’s bring up Privacy issues.

At the end of the day people buy what they want and it’s their choice and I gave up a long time (1-week) ago convincing people otherwise. It’s always the same argument and it’s pretty hard to change people’s minds. 

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

>be ltt forums
>someone shits on apple
>no one jerks off any company
>posts snide greentext to feel like he's won an argument

giphy.gif

It’s only funny when it’s true 

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats because the point was already made that Apple is pretty much the worst offender for tax evasion, yet aren't being taken to court over it like Google has. The projection seems more like it's okay for Apple to do it, yet LTT forums shits all over MS or Google for anything else.

I guess we're supposed to praise Apple for ripping off people with insane margins and offshoring profits to screw over consumers even more.

If it’s the cheeky Apple vs Google vs Microsoft, let’s bring up Privacy issues.

At the end of the day people buy what they want and it’s their choice and I gave up a long time (1-week) ago convincing people otherwise. It’s always the same argument and it’s pretty hard to change people’s minds. 

FYI to everyone yapping about tax and its lack of being paid by anyone. It's tax avoidance, not tax evasion. One is generally legal ways to reduce your tax liability & the other is basically hiding the money and not declaring it is your money to the government for example (generally, there are exceptions to this being illegal if you're in certain places) so that you don't have to pay tax on it. 

They are in general pretty different things, just sometimes with similar outcomes.

3 hours ago, asus killer said:

tax evasion, child labor, almost slave labor with anti suicide nets, selling stupidly overpriced products, making products obsolete on purpose with bad warranties, no repair, no parts, making it as hard as possible to repair, makes one very rich. 

Harvard Case Study incoming.

Good for them the world is for the smart people, natural selection and all that. And.. There is one born every day.

Hey you beat me to it. Apple was for computer and technologically illiterate kids when i was a kid and nothings changed. Now its also for people who dont care about slavery and other moral atrocities.

9 minutes ago, IntMD said:

FYI to everyone yapping about tax and its lack of being paid by anyone. It's tax avoidance, not tax evasion. One is generally legal ways to reduce your tax liability & the other is basically hiding the money and not declaring it is your money to the government for example (generally, there are exceptions to this being illegal if you're in certain places) so that you don't have to pay tax on it. 

They are in general pretty different things, just sometimes with similar outcomes.

https://youtu.be/wpEaFmK3lrY

People need to keep in mind. Being worth 1 trillion dollars does not mean they actually have that much in cash reserves, those are different things and some of those who commented seem to not understand this. 

OT: As someone who doesn’t own stock, I dont’t really care, but damn that’s a large number

1 hour ago, IntMD said:

if it were legal as you say they wouldn't be fined, have to pay and contest a court decision to pay 15.4 bilion in back taxes. The rest is semantics

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16736114/apple-ireland-european-union-order-back-taxes-agreement

8 hours ago, themaniac said:

what... the... fuck...

I mean it is apple so its not a huge surprise that they are worth a shit ton, but nearly 1 trillion seriously!?!?!?!?!!?!

Yeah, turns out if you sell your products at a 70% profit margin you end up making a lot of money. They have about 5% of the phone market and 80% of the profits. iPhones are relatively cheap to produce (once you get past the comparatively cheap design phase) and they get new features as slowly as possible (e.g. the rumoured upcoming dual sim support - which has been on even low end android phones for so long it's not even funny), then they are sold as luxory items. Even if only a fraction of the market buys them they're still cash cows.

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I guess this is due to the fact that they have very good sales of the iPhone. In fact, Apple sells more iPhones than Macs. 

Oh, a LOT more iPhones than macs. They have been orders of magnitude more profitable ever since they started selling mobile devices.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if it were legal as you say they wouldn't be fined, have to pay and contest a court decision to pay 15.4 bilion in back taxes. The rest is semantics

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/4/16736114/apple-ireland-european-union-order-back-taxes-agreement

lol, mkay. You may wish to re-read that article, if you're going to quote it to try and support what you said above...

33 minutes ago, IntMD said:

lol, mkay. You may wish to re-read that article, if you're going to quote it to try and support what you said above...

i read it, did you? it wasn't legal and i don't care what you call it, like i already said.

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Just like a government decides to allow loopholes to exist. Just because you view it as different doesn't change the fact that the tax code doesn't. 

I think for companies it would be more akin to abusing a return policy or some other practice they have. The thing about loopholes is they are unintended by nature. If it isn't unintended then it isn't a loophole. Like let's say valve for example has the 2 hour return policy so people start buying small indie games that are relatively cheap but also have short playthroughs and complete the game and refund it afterwards. It may not be illegal but it is pretty crappy thing to do. Going and abusing loopholes in the tax code isn't really a fair thing to do. If you are making money in a country you should pay taxes on it. I understand why apple does it but it doesn't make it ok. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, turns out if you sell your products at a 70% profit margin you end up making a lot of money. They have about 5% of the phone market and 80% of the profits. iPhones are relatively cheap to produce (once you get past the comparatively cheap design phase) and they get new features as slowly as possible (e.g. the rumoured upcoming dual sim support - which has been on even low end android phones for so long it's not even funny), then they are sold as luxory items. Even if only a fraction of the market buys them they're still cash cows.

Oh, a LOT more iPhones than macs. They have been orders of magnitude more profitable ever since they started selling mobile devices.

Who in the hell uses dual SIM? Lol

I know in some countries they do but in America at least? No one here uses as far as I'm aware. Well maybe some do but most don't.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Fun fact: Apple might be about to reach $1 trillion, but they're not the most valued company in history. That title belongs to the Dutch East India Company, back in the 1600's

image.png.0b85361c072548d04ddfd91dae5f9c5b.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

As far as the law goes, if you can’t definitely prove it’s illegal, it’s legal. 

So if shareholders of any company start demanding said company move money to offshore accounts, then it’s legal and they are obligated to do it. They can say no, but there will likely be consequences and possibly a hostile takeover. 

That's a load of crap. Yeah and companies are obligated to give their employees crap wages and poor working conditions because it saves money and they are "legally obligated to do it". 

In other words, welcome to corporations 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

When people throw shit at Apple for making a lot of money, here’s probably how Apple will respond: 

giphy.gif

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

And that’s why they made iTunes compatible to Windows 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

41 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think for companies it would be more akin to abusing a return policy or some other practice they have. The thing about loopholes is they are unintended by nature. If it isn't unintended then it isn't a loophole. Like let's say valve for example has the 2 hour return policy so people start buying small indie games that are relatively cheap but also have short playthroughs and complete the game and refund it afterwards. It may not be illegal but it is pretty crappy thing to do. Going and abusing loopholes in the tax code isn't really a fair thing to do. If you are making money in a country you should pay taxes on it. I understand why apple does it but it doesn't make it ok. 

When a loophole knowingly exists for decades it's no longer unintended; at the end of the day, the government is choosing to leave the exemptions in place.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

55 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Who in the hell uses dual SIM? Lol

I know in some countries they do but in America at least? No one here uses as far as I'm aware. Well maybe some do but most don't.

Plenty of people use different SIM cards to have separate personal and work phone numbers. If people don't do that in the US that doesn't mean they won't elsewhere... the world doesn't revolve around the US. Besides, if you are only basing yourself on your immediate surroundings you hardly have the numbers to claim people don't do that in the US at large...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

When a loophole knowingly exists for decades it's no longer unintended; at the end of the day, the government is choosing to leave the exemptions in place.

I want to answer that but I'd get very political, very quickly linus_sad48x48.png.173e63320b382e51270d9864db5850a9.png

Let's just say that governments can be steered by lobbies and those in charge don't always want what's best for their people - and in those situations, some people with a lot of money may steer their decision to create profitable loopholes. Abusing one's monetary power to profit off of legal loopholes, at the expense of tax paying citizens, is hardly a moral thing to do.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I want to answer that but I'd get very political, very quickly linus_sad48x48.png.173e63320b382e51270d9864db5850a9.png

Let's just say that governments can be steered by lobbies and those in charge don't always want what's best for their people - and in those situations, some people with a lot of money may steer their decision to create profitable loopholes. Abusing one's monetary power to profit off of legal loopholes, at the expense of tax paying citizens, is hardly a moral thing to do.

The exemptions still exist regardless of the reasons. The government is still choosing to allow them. 

And again, companies are no different in this regard than the rest of the population. 99% of people will do the same thing -- they will take advantage of any money saving method as long as it nets them an overall benefit. The difference is that individuals don't view companies the same way as other people -- it's the same reason why people are more willing to steal from big companies than they are from individuals.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

A product or item is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. Just because you don’t believe a specific item isn’t worth the asking price doesn’t mean that millions of others agree with you. 

Apple sells their products at the prices they ask for them, meaning at the very least, they are worth it to some people. 

I understand that people value things differently than I do that's fine. What I don't like is them acting like their products cost that much and pretend they don't have huge margins on their products (which would help accurately show the true value of the products). Take for example in Linus's video on repairing the iMac they charge like 3/4 the price of the iMac just for the board that insane.They literally mark up replacement parts to make it seem like their stuff is worth that much.

What a complete joke. :dry:

Proof that marketing works. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

58 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Plenty of people use different SIM cards to have separate personal and work phone numbers. If people don't do that in the US that doesn't mean they won't elsewhere... the world doesn't revolve around the US. Besides, if you are only basing yourself on your immediate surroundings you hardly have the numbers to claim people don't do that in the US at large...

No, but Apple is an American company so it's not that hard to expect them to not put dual SIM in their phones.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization