Updated: Intel Removes Intel Power Gadget Utility Download Amidst MacBook Pro Controversy

Giiman95

Burying your head in the sand sure is one way to solve the problem.

Wonder if it’s Intel or Apple that’s going to get the blame by the end of this

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Something's really fishy, not just with Apple, but with Intel.

Something's telling me that there's a LOT of really bad shit going on with both.

Yeah, most likely both parties are involved in some way.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

You know, part of me thinks there's a bug somewhere. 

But wouldn't they have said something? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Burying your head in the sand sure is one way to solve the problem.

It's been working super well for Gibson Brands Inc. and the fact that their QC on $3000+ guitars absolutely blows.

How's that giant bankruptcy going, Henry Juskiewicz?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

49 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Something people aren’t realizing is that the news about the “thermal throttling” in the new 15” Core i9 MacBook Pro also reflects badly on Intel. 

Doesnt matter we know who is actually at fault for causing the CPU to throttle, Intels name is associated with the bad press. 

This could just as easily be an Intel decision as it could be Apple lobbying for Intel to do it. 

The same CPU is getting great praise and benches in other machines tho.

I agree, Intel's name is in there, but I have yet to see a single news report claiming it is intels fault.

Tho, I would not be shocked to see such a claim from one of the more hardcore fanboy driven Apple pages. ;-)

Yeah, most likely both parties are involved in some way.

And just before i read page two, it actually starts. I can't believe this.

BOTH parties?

Seriously?!

The same chip is working fine and flawlessly unless it is used by Apple. Don't even start to put the blame on Intel for this. It is Apple, only Apple and 100% Apple. Intel has NO SAYING whatsoever in the design of MacBooks.

2 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

I agree, Intel's name is in there, but I have yet to see a single news report claiming it is intels fault.

Tho, I would not be shocked to see such a claim from one of the more hardcore fanboy driven Apple pages. ;-)

It's not the writers that are blaming Intel. It's the readers that only know enough to get into trouble not but not enough to completely comprehend.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Depends on the machine 

There's a fair number of them with problems related to heat 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Depends on the machine 

There's a fair number of them with problems related to heat 

Why would anyone blame Intel for companies that use a high power part in a laptop?

You could put the i9 in your phone, and probably it would just explode,... but would you blame Intel for that?

yes its only on apple for putting a 45w cpu inside a machine that is built for 45w cpus.... no some of the blame is on intel and they even know their chips run to hot or they wouldnt be thinking about going back to solder lmao

ps. im not ignoring apple ether they should of tested the i9 and said NOPE and never put it in, that was ether lazy or greedy to charge your userbase a extra $300 for something that is actually WORSE? i'd love to see if the 6 core i7 has issues too 

7 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

How is that ironic?

It's like rain on your wedding day. It's the free life when you've already paid. It's the good advice that you just didn't take.

7 minutes ago, juri-han said:

yes its only on apple for putting a 45w cpu inside a machine that is built for 45w cpus.... no some of the blame is on intel and they even know their chips run to hot or they wouldnt be thinking about going back to solder lmao

ps. im not ignoring apple ether they should of tested the i9 and said NOPE and never put it in, that was ether lazy or greedy to charge your userbase a extra $300 for something that is actually WORSE? i'd love to see if the 6 core i7 has issues too 

Not sure if you realize, but mobile-specific CPUs run a bare die. No place for solder to go unless Apple feels like soldering the heat pipe to the CPU themselves. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I would say no. I'm like 99% certain that this is Apple telling Intel to remove the download, just to make it a little bit more work for people to verify this insane throttling. Basically, it's your typical knee-jerk damage-control.

I don't think it's Apple, because there are many first-party and app store utilities that can do this already. Remember this also happened in other i9 notebooks (Apple's is a bit worse though). It kinda makes it look like Intel is doing something a bit funny, but it could be Apple too. 

13 minutes ago, juri-han said:

No. 45W is a TDP on a base clock. On Turbo Boost you are looking on 2-2,5x larger TDP. Intel makes Core i5, i7 in a ULV fashion, but not i9. So Apple should have been looking at 22W Intel Core i7, not to upper side.

38 minutes ago, juri-han said:

You know in every video that the Intel power tool also shows how much power the CPU is using right? TDP != Power Draw ever for CPUs, never has meant that.

image.png.a1b04687c9d7e9ae501f92b81a1ef39c.png

Yes that is over 80W.

And yes the i7 has similar problems but much less of an issue so actually in many cases performs better than the i9

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Something people aren’t realizing is that the news about the “thermal throttling” in the new 15” Core i9 MacBook Pro also reflects badly on Intel. 

Doesnt matter we know who is actually at fault for causing the CPU to throttle, Intels name is associated with the bad press. 

This could just as easily be an Intel decision as it could be Apple lobbying for Intel to do it. 

How? It is extremely clear that Apple, just like it is with all the other OEM trying to cram the Core i9 into ultrabook chassis, is the company at fault. And Apple is only throttling by temperature not TDP which makes the problem even worse.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

32 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You know in every video that the Intel power tool also shows how much power the CPU is using right? TDP != Power Draw ever for CPUs, never has meant that.

image.png.a1b04687c9d7e9ae501f92b81a1ef39c.png

Yes that is over 80W.

And yes the i7 has similar problems but much less of an issue so actually in many cases performs better than the i9

i know if you disable 2 cores on the i9 you get better performance so only makes sense the i7 does better but is it any better then last years 7920hq? (witch is what i have and it stays at around 2.8-3 even blasting it with prime 95)

i didn't know the i9 started sucking that much power, point still stands apple should not of put that in a mabook and intel's 6 core coffee lake is just kaby lake with 2 extra cores and the i9s are rebranded xeons to keep up with ryzen..... so blame both more so apple in this case but intel is just as greedy

6 minutes ago, juri-han said:

i know if you disable 2 cores on the i9 you get better performance so only makes sense the i7 does better but is it any better then last years 7920hq? (witch is what i have and it stays at around 2.8-3 even blasting it with prime 95)

Yea the i7 model is actually pretty good, throttles as well but not nearly as much and gets basically the same CB scores as the i9 model if you run them multiple times consecutively.

4 minutes ago, juri-han said:

i didn't know the i9 started sucking that much power, point still stands apple should not of put that in a mabook and intel's 6 core coffee lake is just kaby lake with 2 extra cores and the i9s are rebranded xeons to keep up with ryzen..... so blame both more so apple in this case but intel is just as greedy

Can't pin the blame on Intel for this at all. Even if it is to keep up with Ryzen, Intel's means of adding more cores is every bit as valid as what AMD has done, and to be fair, I sincerely doubt a 6-core Ryzen cpu would fare any better in a Macbook than Intel's, probably much worse actually due to needing high speed memory.

Had Apple wanted to, they could have paid Intel for a custom sku with altered behavior to minimize heat, or they could have just forgone the i9 altogether. No shame to not offer the highest end sku if the cooling design limits it too much.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I do wonder how much is this issue prevalent on the MacBook Pro 13" ... 

Maybe Intel should exchange this software with a Mac version of XTU for undervolt ing and turning ofg boost to reduce heat.

1 hour ago, juri-han said:

22 minutes ago, juri-han said:

The thing with TDP is that it is not an unchanging representation of power consumption or dissipation.  Apple engineers should know better than anyone that if you up the frequency the workload (or even the voltage) you increase power draw and heat produced.  Intel did not under rate their product nor did they fail to account for anything, the chip operates to spec.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The funny thing is that they removed the link but left it listed as a download option. So you know it was there, they just removed it.

Very strange indeed!

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'll only sorta agree since the i9 is still a relatively new product that I'm sure isn't as recognized as the i7.

And I can imagine Intel would not want the first thing to come to people's minds when they think of the i9 (in general) is 'overheating'.

The link is back up and download for both pc, mac, and linux works. Idk if mac had the same version as windows. Now it's version 3.5.2

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The thing with TDP is that it is not an unchanging representation of power consumption or dissipation.  Apple engineers should know better than anyone that if you up the frequency the workload (or even the voltage) you increase power draw and heat produced.  Intel did not under rate their product nor did they fail to account for anything, the chip operates to spec.

i wouldn't blame the engineers this is a boardroom move, they could have said no way the i9 can work with the current design and his boss says .... put it in anyway and we can charge $300 more for it and noone will notice