Updated: Intel Removes Intel Power Gadget Utility Download Amidst MacBook Pro Controversy

Giiman95
3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Well, I'm doing my part to support that effort.

Same.

Maybe then they'll get the message

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

B-but m-muh noise and acoustics! 

Jokes aside, I kinda wished we shared the same criticism on other laptops that try to get away with putting hot parts into a small chassis with a cooling system that is not capable of properly dissipating the total TDP, let alone well above it. 

Also, there’s one thing else. The stock thermal paste. If you ever opened up a MacBook soon after unboxing, check the thermal paste. It’s likely going to be drier than the Sahara Desert at the best of times.

Eh I'll share my criticism with them when they're the ones who start a trend like this. I can't even yell at Microsoft about how *terribly* unrepairable their devices are since Apple did it first. If apple stops doing this shit then other companies will stop copying them and we can get them to change too.

No point in cutting the weeds but leaving the roots, they'll just grow back.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, absolutely but Intel should have also have been more cautious with the Turbo.

4.6GHz are just too much for a 45W "TDP" CPU. Why go all out and not limit it to 3,5 or 3,6GHz. That's enough.

I never said that Apple wasn't to blame, just that they aren't only to blame, just that they aren't innocent.

What does the Turbo speed have to do with thermal throttling when the i9s in the MBP can't even hit their stock clock speeds without throttling? Apple ARE the only ones to blame.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

What does the Turbo speed have to do with thermal throttling when the i9s in the MBP can't even hit their stock clock speeds without throttling? Apple ARE the only ones to blame.

Why doesn't it throttle with other "45W TDP" CPUs??

Because intel changed the definitiion of their "TDP" (again), because they are under preassure by competition??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Snip

The thermal solution provides both component-level and system-level thermal management. To allow optimal operation and long-term reliability of Intel processor- based systems, the system/processor thermal solution should be designed so that the processor: 

• Bare Die Parts: Remains below the maximum junction temperature (TjMAX) specification at the maximum thermal design power (TDP).

IMG_0279.thumb.PNG.94a6e008dd9c7fd9ea329efc2a98eeb8.PNG

Apples thermal solution should not have allowed it exceed Tj_max at 45W cTDP. This is without AVX workloads.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm taking that as a "no".

It's like watching "reality" TV.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Promising.

Think, "Real Housewives of NY" and "Honey Boo Boo," mixed.

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Apple ARE the only ones to blame.

IMO, it's probably 90% Apple/other OEMs that do the same for me, 10% Intel. 

I don't think Intel can get off the hook for the cTDP runaway but like I mentioned earlier, Apple and other OEMs like Dell had a choice. Intel wasn't pointing a gun to their head demanding that they use the i9. 

They could have just not used it if it was determined to run too hot 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because intel changed the definitiion of their "TDP" (again), because they are under preassure by competition??

Once again, the definition was not changed. It has been that way for a long time already. 

It's just that Coffee Lake follows that definition exactly word-by-word. 

Intel's method of calculating TDP is different from AMD's. Notice I said different, not better or worse. Just different