Updated: Intel Removes Intel Power Gadget Utility Download Amidst MacBook Pro Controversy

Giiman95

Why is Apple messing around with BMW's i9?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

15 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Tin foil hat on: Apple begged Intel to rig the power gadget for Mac so that people like Linus and Dave2D will stop complaining about the i9 MBP's lack of capability to maintain 2.90 GHz. xD

How is that tin foil hat? Its the most logical conclusion.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You mean things like lie about the actual TDP of the Chip?
Or violate the TDP and overshoot???

And don't offer hard TDP Limits that would have prevented this mess??

...and that seems to be the biggest problem here and that its not possible for the manufacturer of the Device to define Power Limits and implement it so that they can make their cooling for the chip.

To be fair if some review guy Dave can test the chip I'm sure Apple could have. 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It's an iCar. They are having trouble due to lack of windows. 

2 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ähm, no. 

The Problem here is you pay more to get less performance. That is the point and the reason why people are angry.

And if you don't flame the companies responsible for this shit, nothing will change and it will only get worse.

So you have to tell those guys that you don't like that.

Sadly I doubt that there will be a "fixed version"...

At best, we will probably see a firmware update which cranks up the fan speeds. 

In the long run, this will just accelerate Apple's migration to ARM Macs, since it's clear that Intel is no longer able to meet their needs with regards to processors that don't run hot under load. 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

So BMW can make a hassle free dealer network based on Apple's industry leading philosophy on who can repair units and order replacement parts, while lynching and sticking a fork up the arse of those who don't comply. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, abazigal said:

At best, we will probably see a firmware update which cranks up the fan speeds. 

Yes, that would be a good idea...

Or give the User the possibility to change between a silent and performance setting.

1 minute ago, abazigal said:

In the long run, this will just accelerate Apple's migration to ARM Macs, since it's clear that Intel is no longer able to meet their needs with regards to processors that don't run hot under load. 

There is another option.

They can do semi-custom Chips from another company.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, that would be a good idea...

Or give the User the possibility to change between a silent and performance setting.

There is another option.

They can do semi-custom Chips from another company.

Absolutely, I'm sure VIA would love to have a contract as large as apple.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Members aren't really supposed to post comments like that, supposed to come from moderators. Generally quotes from sources should be put in to the quote formatting that the editor has.

Other than that it meets the key requirements, source + quote from source + personal input.

Sorry :(

17 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Sorry :(

It's fine, some people could just find it rude or annoying if multiple people/the first few comments in a thread is just quotes of the posting guidelines.

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

It's an iCar. They are having trouble due to lack of windows. 

If it costs $50K but is still using manual transmission then no thank you

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

20 hours ago, Giiman95 said:

Source Article: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/21/intel-power-gadget-mac-removed/

• “The download link for the Intel Power Gadget, which reports info like Mac CPU temperature and current clock speed, has been conspicuously removed from the Intel website today. There’s no explanation on the page as to why the company suddenly removed the download, although it sure is convenient timing. The utility has been used by many tech reviewers to highlight possible thermal problems with the 6-core 2018 MacBook Pros.”
  • This Utility has shown processors in the new MacBook Pros dropping below Apple specified clock speeds. Multiple media outlets have used this Utility to verify the clock speeds produced by these chips.
  • Intel has not responded for request for comment, although has since re-released the utility citing bug fixes.

Personal notes: @LinusTech showed throttling on the MacBook Pro around 20 minutes of unboxing it using this tool. Good thing he downloaded it before Intel removed it. :)

https://youtu.be/jtHhvcdjNWw

This is disgraceful.

Also to try and hide Apple's blushes.

I hope Apple gets hammered in court and/or by the regulators and I hope Intel does too for complicity in trying to brush it under the carpet. By removing said software.

Bearing in mind this is a major consumer scandal. Involving a badly designed device sold at a premium by Apple.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

See that is the Problem right now!

The CPU consumes on average more than the TDP! 

And THAT is the Problem!

Energy going in is not going to be the same as energy coming off the CPU in the form of heat. I don't think you understand that. It's still doing work, it's not a pure space heater.

None of this is Intel's fault unless they lied about what the TDP is, and how the define it. Which as far as I'm concerned, they probably didn't. Apple failed to, or did not care, to test their cooling solution for these chips under any workload to see if it could maintain clock speeds.

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Energy going in is not going to be the same as energy coming off the CPU in the form of heat. I don't think you understand that. It's still doing work, it's not a pure space heater.

And to what is the Energy converted? Light? Movement? Naa, I don't think so. So that only leaves heat!

Ever heard about the Conservation of Energy?

Your statement is in violation of that law.

Wich makes it impossible!

None of this is Intel's fault unless they lied about what the TDP is, and how the define it. Which as far as I'm concerned, they probably didn't. Apple failed to, or did not care, to test their cooling solution for these chips under any workload to see if it could maintain clock speeds.

Look at the picture of leadeater...

What does that tell you??

Doas THAT look like 45W TDP to you?

36 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's fine, some people could just find it rude or annoying if multiple people/the first few comments in a thread is just quotes of the posting guidelines.

It annoys the shit out of me, it insinuates the mods aren't doing their job or are quick enough and two if that's the only thing people have to say in a thread then why are they even reading it in the first place?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

They seem to have lied about the TDP, look at the picture of leadeater...

What I showed was actual power draw, TDP stands for Thermal Design Power. TDP is used by cooler manufacturers only, in this case Apple, to design appropriate coolers for the rated TDP. If you look again at the picture/videos you'll notice after throttling directly after max peak boost the CPU power draw drops to around 45W ish but the cooler is still not able to even dissipate that so base clock are therefore unable to be maintained.

Now looking at the graphs I personally feel that i9 should carry a 50W or 55W TDP not 45W but I'm not Intel and I also don't define their TDP spec, there is no industry standard spec either which is a problem in itself. Secondly the cooler on the MacBook Pro does not meet the 45W requirement.

Third, like literally everyone in the tech space knows CPUs do boost and go above the TDP figure in actual power draw so designing a cooling solution that only exactly meets the TDP spec is a bad design and one that will not allow the product to perform to it's full potential but it will still perform as stated by the product. A CPU with such a large extreme between base and boost should not have a 45W cooling solution, 60W seems much more appropriate along with more thermal mass to delay heat saturation and throttling.

14 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And to what is the Energy converted? Light? Movement? Naa, I don't think so. So that only leaves heat!

You don't understand TDP.   I think I have explained it too many times in these apple threads for people to still be making naive posts regarding TDP. So please stop capitalising words yelling at others, especially  when you are wrong!

TDP is NOT the absolute maximum power draw or dissipation that a CPU will exhibit according to anyone least of all Intel.  It is a reference point for engineers to design a cooling solution around. It is simply a point on a scale that tells engineers how much cooling they need to maintain base clocks with a real world almost 100% load.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I had a HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX that managed to cool both a 35W TDP Phenom II N970 and 30W+ TDP (I had a 144MHz OC) Mobility Radeon HD5650 well enough that both would struggle to hit 80oC under full load (which wasn't difficult to achieve). Apple's cooling solution is just plain shit.

Edit: Note as well that the power brick was rated for 90W at most, and that higher TDP first gen i7 (the good quad core ones without an iGPU) were also used in the exact same chassis.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

What I showed was actual power draw, TDP stands for Thermal Design Power. TDP is used by cooler manufacturers only, in this case Apple, to design appropriate coolers for the rated TDP.

Yes, I know that.

If you look again at the picture/videos you'll notice after throttling directly after max peak boost the CPU power draw drops to around 45W ish but the cooler is still not able to even dissipate that so base clock are therefore unable to be maintained.

See, that was what I was going at.

The CPU shouldn't throttle in the first place!

Now looking at the graphs I personally feel that i9 should carry a 50W or 55W TDP not 45W but I'm not Intel and I also don't define their TDP spec, there is no industry standard spec either which is a problem in itself.

Exactly that was my point, thank you!

Its a bit above the 45W.

Secondly the cooler on the MacBook Pro does not meet the 45W requirement.

No, it is designed exactly for 45W, not 55 or 50W but 45W and handles that somewhat.

There is already proof of that:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-2018-Much-more-performance-with-a-few-clicks.317552.0.html

So with a hard 45W TDP Limit, it works better

Third, like literally everyone in the tech space knows CPUs do boost and go above the TDP figure in actual power draw so designing a cooling solution that only exactly meets the TDP spec is a bad design and one that will not allow the product to perform to it's full potential but it will still perform as stated by the product. A CPU with such a large extreme between base and boost should not have a 45W cooling solution, 60W seems much more appropriate along with more thermal mass to delay heat saturation and throttling.

Öhm, if a 45W TDP CPU "needs" a 60W Cooling solution, doesn't that mean its a 60W TDP CPU and not a 45W one??

So you kinda agree with what I'm saying that this i9 CPU shouldn't have been a 45W TDP CPU, right?

And so Apple isn't completely at fault here, Intel als is partially at fault because of this boost...

25 minutes ago, mr moose said:

TDP is NOT the absolute maximum power draw or dissipation that a CPU will exhibit according to anyone least of all Intel.  It is a reference point for engineers to design a cooling solution around. It is simply a point on a scale that tells engineers how much cooling they need to maintain base clocks with a real world almost 100% load.

Yes and Apple has a 45W TDP Cooling Solution, thus the CPU throttles because a 45W TDP Cooling Solution isn't enough.

That is exactly what I was saying. 

So what is your claim that this 45W TDP Cooling Solution Apple uses isn't a 45W TDP Cooling Solution?

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and Apple has a 45W TDP Cooling Solution, thus the CPU throttles because a 45W TDP Cooling Solution isn't enough.

Are you serious?  First you claim the CPU uses more than the TDP therefore the TDP figure is wrong, then you claim the mac has a 45W cooler proving what exactly?

15 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, it is designed exactly for 45W, not 55 or 50W but 45W and handles that somewhat.

There is already proof of that:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-2018-Much-more-performance-with-a-few-clicks.317552.0.html

So with a hard 45W TDP Limit, it works better

It performs better because without the limit it boost up, hits thermal junction then throttles down below base as it's supposed to do in that situation. Software limiting only stops the wild spikes it doesn't actually mean the cooler can actually cool 45W it just handles the situation better when there are no 90W spikes.

Look at the graphs again and note the package power drops throughout the test, that's thermal junction being hit on a core and the CPU throttles due to that. It only takes one core for that to happen, package temps won't show it but package power indicates that it's happening. So the cooler cannot actually dissipate a sustained 45W load.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

If it costs $50K but is still using manual transmission then no thank you

I would. 

Screw autos 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I would. 

Screw autos 

I used to say that until I’ve finally learned to like automatic transmission. Though if there’s an advantage of manual is that you can push it when the battery is dead. Can’t do that with auto. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I used to say that until I’ve finally learned to like automatic transmission. Though if there’s an advantage of manual is that you can push it when the battery is dead. Can’t do that with auto. 

To be fair 1990's to early 2000's auto transmissions really were crap.