Leaked photos potentially of iPhone USB-C power adapter

zxsq

Original source is BGR

Leaked photos seem to confirm the rumored iPhone USB type C charging, which would finally have apple using a standard charging method rather than a proprietary one. No more extra cables to carry aroung or hunting for someone with the right charger for your phone.

Apple iPhone USB-C power adapter

As you can see in the first image below, the writing on the adapter reveals that the device we’re looking at is just an engineering sample and not the final product that will supposedly ship with the iPhone X sequels this fall. The adapter also carries the model number A1720 and offers outputs of 5V / 3A (15W) and 9V / 2A (18W).

iphone-usb-c-adapter-back.jpg?quality=98

The charger sample in the photo is also marked as supporting 9V Fast charging rather than just standard 5V charging, which could help make its charging speeds more competitive with many flagship android devices of late.

I would laugh if all the rumors of usb c charging amounts to a type c to lighting cable being included with devices.

I really don't want lightning to be replaced with usb-c on the iphone.  Lightning connectors are smaller and more durable than USB-C ones.

Hopefully they're just replacing the USB-A end with USB-C.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Lightning connectors are smaller and more durable than USB-C ones.

?? Nah. Maybe the connector itself, but most certainly not the cable.

Image result for frayed lightning cables

Every apple cable ends up like this because they do not understand how to put function over form where it is important: strain relief. It was a problem on the original 30pin cables, it's still a problem now, meanwhile there are many many usb-c cables from the device manufacturers that include proper strain relief to prevent fraying.

USB c does more anyways... for instance, there is a reason the newer macbooks didn't use lightning for charging. why would apple not make someone using their whole ecosystem of products able to more conveniently use 1 apple charger

Yeah the Apple lightning cables fall apart, but when the free one you get with your phone breaks you buy a third party one that lasts forever.  It's not an issue ($800 phone vs. $12 cable...who cares).

I'm fine with whatever connector they want to put on the charger-end of the cable, because then it doesn't obsolete my Type A -> Lightning cables.  Just don't put Type C on my phone.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In before its just the USB connector on the charger that changed, not the actual connector on the phone. 

I bet it is. They should include a lightning to USB type C with the phone in order to connect to their laptops that use USB C anyway. Bet they're moving to USB C on the charger end to avoid having to put in two cables with the iPhone. 

AFAIK, right now if you buy an iPhone X and a new MacBook Air, you can't actually connect them without buying another cable, which is ridiculous when you've spent £3000+

inb4 normies will call this cable the iPhone XI cable when the iPhone XI comes out :D.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

35 minutes ago, zxsq said:

Every apple cable ends up like this because they do not understand how to put function over form where it is important: strain relief. It was a problem on the original 30pin cables, it's still a problem now, meanwhile there are many many usb-c cables from the device manufacturers that include proper strain relief to prevent fraying.

I still use my original lightning cable from my 5s every day. Don't use your cable as a lasso and you will be fine. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

No way that's true. Apple hates adhering to industry standards. I'd bet it'll end up as a Type-C to Lightning cable

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

32 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Where is the news? There is a public document (a few months old) that it will have USB-C on this end of the charging cable.

http://www.digitaleurope.org/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=2630&language=en-US&PortalId=0&TabId=353

Hahaha yeah, as if that means much. Apple signed it the first time back in 09 when everyone settled on micro usb. They still used 30pin and lightning. 

35 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

inb4 normies will call this cable the iPhone XI cable when the iPhone XI comes out :D.

Why do you assume it will be called the „iPhone Ten I“?

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

In before its just the USB connector on the charger that changed, not the actual connector on the phone. 

This is very likely, the reason for USB C on the brick is so the cable can be used on mac's too with out a adapter.

It would be amazing if they made it USB C on the phone too, but I will not hold my breath.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I really don't want lightning to be replaced with usb-c on the iphone.  Lightning connectors are smaller and more durable than USB-C ones.

Hopefully they're just replacing the USB-A end with USB-C.

You’re serious??? Lightning connectors are simply the worst. I never, ever had a micro USB fail. But I have to continually replace lightning cables every now and then. I never had problems with USB C either.

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

You’re serious??? Lightning connectors are simply the worst. I never, ever had a micro USB fail. But I have to continually replace lightning cables every now and then. I never had problems with USB C either.

Some people must have the worst luck with them then, I haven't purchased a cable in years. I still use the Apple cable that came with my iPad Air 2 in 2014. 

16 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

Some people must have the worst luck with them then, I haven't purchased a cable in years. I still use the Apple cable that came with my iPad Air 2 in 2014. 

Same here as well

21 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

I never had to replace any USB cable.

But I am always reminding how destructive people are when I look over and see someone charging their phone with their thumb on the cable to hold it up or balance it. Then a month or two later they complain about charging issues. 

It has nothing to do with luck. No different then people who pick laptops up by the screen

Lighting connector is here to stay, it doesn't make sense for Apple to change the charger again, especially to a design that isn't proprietary. This will just mean it will work natively with the new Macbooks that's all.

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

And I have several family members that mange to chew through MicroUSB cables like candy, though mine last quite a long time. Benefit of being an early adopter of USB-C in in this household means no one can borrow (really, mangle) my cables.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Reminds me of my Pixel XL charger 

IMG_20180703_052936.jpg

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I’ll bet $10 that it’s Lighting to USB-C. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’ll bet $10 that it’s Lighting to USB-C. 

it might mean that iphone will start coming with a lightning to usb-c cable so you can actually connect it to the macbook without having to specifically buy the cable for it 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK98Yg-4YJbPNROAnqAFQ

good job apple

(not /s)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 hours ago, zxsq said:

?? Nah. Maybe the connector itself, but most certainly not the cable.

Image result for frayed lightning cables

USB c does more anyways... for instance, there is a reason the newer macbooks didn't use lightning for charging. why would apple not make someone using their whole ecosystem of products able to more conveniently use 1 apple charger

I've seen people complain about it a lot, never had that issue myself?

Still have my original 30 PIN that came with my iPod 4G years ago, looks a little dirty they do catch dirt .. a lot but no signs of .. that.

I do have to say I take care of my cables/devices more then most, might sound weird saying this myself but people tell me this all the time : "You overcare your devices .. why?"

But since I've never used USB-C I do agree that a universal standard UNIVERSAL Serial bus is great.

First however I need to get a device that supports USB-C :D

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*