is LTT anti-Linux?

Ashleyyyy
14 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

yes, i agree Ubuntu is boring. but like i said before, this community (in general) isn't heavily into Apple products. but Apple gets loads of attention on LTT. 

You could make the argument Apple gets a fair bit of attention because ... it's Apple. Like... who doesn't love taking pot shots at Apple? That aside, there is still a sizable percentage of people here who do use Apple products daily. Many MacBook and iPhone users around here.

Apple is just a more accessible way into Unix (not in terms of pricing, but usability). It's easier to switch to MacOS as a daily OS compared to Ubuntu where you have so many software restrictions with janky unofficial workarounds. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Apple is just a more accessible way into Unix (not in terms of pricing, but usability). It's easier to switch to MacOS as a daily OS compared to Ubuntu where you have so many software restrictions with janky unofficial workarounds. 

this is very true. i will admit that i've considered selling my laptop and getting a macbook because virtual machines for stuff like Office aren't prefect..  

She/Her

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You could make the argument Apple gets a fair bit of attention because ... it's Apple. Like... who doesn't love taking pot shots at Apple? That aside, there is still a sizable percentage of people here who do use Apple products daily. Many MacBook and iPhone users around here.

As an daily user of Ubuntu and Mint, yep, software at times can get a bit janky.  Its come a way bit since I first used distros of the Debian branch, but still not without its occasional need to go into terminal.

F@H being one case where it can be a bit painful to get its GUI to work.  Lucky enough, Discord was fairly painless to install in comparison.  At least now I can install nvidia drivers without black listing the nouveau drivers (thank goodness for that!).

Anyway, like others said, most of LTT's viewers are Window users.  Don't really make a whole lot of sense to do videos about Linux distro updates.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Haha...Linus Torvalds made Linux...haha...ha...ha

get it? cuz linus made lmg and...nvm

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

20 hours ago, zzrhardy said:

WAN show also failed to praise the Emperor of Mankind. Heresy confirmed.

Are we talking about the GOD-EMPEROR??? That's the real question...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

28 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Are we talking about the GOD-EMPEROR??? That's the real question...

I'm pretty sure he was talking about me.  And don't give me any lip, cause I'll avada kedavra your muggle ass.

I've been re-reading Harry Potter.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Which Linus? The Torvald guy at the Linux foundation or the Sebastian guy on YouTube? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 21.5.2018 at 5:29 AM, firelighter487 said:

i'm wondering whether LTT is anti-Linux.. 

for example when ubuntu 18.04 got released a few weeks ago, no mention of it on the WAN show...

and LTT could showcase Linux a lot more in my opinion. 

an Ubuntu release like this is simply not newsworthy, if they made a completel new and userfriendly Linux that works for the average windows user and runs all windows programs then we could talk but Linux consistently manages to be not the right system for the average user.

On 21/05/2018 at 5:26 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

They don't always have a use case for Linux

Primarily because they are tied down to Windows.

Usually, file storage servers like their large 100% SSD File Server use Linux but instead they're using Windows Server 2012 R2 afaik.

They don't really acknowledge Linux or even discuss it properly when they do mention it and when they do mention it in videos, it's clear that they really have no idea.

They rarely (if ever) discuss anything Linux related on WAN Show even if it was News Worthy and affected people (like the Linux Kernel Long Term Support change which will allow Android Phones to get kernel patches for much longer (up to 5 years) and be secure).

It is very clear to me that they're heavily biased towards Windows and aren't terribly interested in showing macOS or Linux in as good of a light as they do Windows.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 5/20/2018 at 9:01 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Well crap. You're right. Kids are the evil.

can confirm

Source: have 4 kids

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

can confirm

Source: have 4 kids

gotta keep the bloodline propagating into the future

On 5/20/2018 at 10:29 PM, firelighter487 said:

i'm wondering whether LTT is anti-Linux.. 

for example when ubuntu 18.04 got released a few weeks ago, no mention of it on the WAN show...

and LTT could showcase Linux a lot more in my opinion. 

Yes i approve

If you want Linux coverage go to Level 1 Techs for their videos.  I am sure Linus wouldn't mind me suggesting that considering he has done a show / video with Wendell before. 

To say LTT is anti-linux is preposterous. Just because the news doesnt cover new computer releases doesent mean they are anti Computer technology. They wont cover it if there is not any demand, as suggested by others.

My PC is running and I can't catch it....

LTT has nothing against Linux. It's not that interesting for them to produce a video about it.

hi.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:27 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

What about SteamOS and Steam Machines? I remember Luke being pretty stoked about them.

...Oh yeah, they dead...

Steam machines are dead.

Linux gaming via steam in general is not, things are so much better than it was a few years ago. Drivers, tools, engine support, graphics APIs, everything is many times better when than it was a few years ago. When I got my R9 290 none of the graphically demanding Linux games used to work smoothly. Now they do, including the likes of ROTR, Witcher 2, Cities Skylines, Dirt etc. It gets better all the time, like every month because Valve continuously invests in Linux including stuff like VR. 

But still Linux gaming is not on windows level. Because most of the AAA games are made for windows.  Some of them get ported to Linux a few months later by a different company. So then they will do things like using wrappers to convert directX to openGL or Vulkan. Rather than proper native support. So you get a performance hit.

Not many of the AAA devs do actual cross platform development where Linux support is planned from the get go. Makes sense because none of the Linux distros have a decent market share. So because of that Linux gets games a bit later and most of the time a bit slower performing.

So if you are a Linux PC user who wants to play games then the situation now is better than ever. Plus there are loads of great indie games to play.

But if you just want to game then obviously Windows is the OS to recommend. Gets a great selection of the latest AAA games, whereas Linux only gets a few.

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

Some of them get ported to Linux a few months later by a different company. So then they will do things like using wrappers to convert directX to openGL or Vulkan. Rather than proper native support. So you get a performance hit.

All hail Feral Interactive. Feral are our Lord and savior. This one humbly prays them to port BattleTech to our beloved GNU/Linux distros!

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

But if you just want to game then obviously Windows is the OS to recommend. Gets a great selection of the latest AAA games, whereas Linux only gets a few.

If you need Windows titles, running Steam and Windows titles through Wine is getting better and better lately too! Finally DX11 support is finally starting to roll out, and for Vulkan titles the Vulkan passthrough is just about ready to use your machine's Vulkan drivers directly for games in Wine.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If you need Windows titles, running Steam and Windows titles through Wine is getting better and better lately too! Finally DX11 support is finally starting to roll out, and for Vulkan titles the Vulkan passthrough is just about ready to use your machine's Vulkan drivers directly for games in Wine.

Linux gaming with Steam overall is better than some other platforms. When I had Ubuntu on my laptop the most annoying thing was that I couldn't play Hearthstone. It would have run no problems. But getting Battle.net running with WINE just didn't work. Closest I got was blackscreen on launch or super-bugged graphics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Linux gaming with Steam overall is better than some other platforms. When I had Ubuntu on my laptop the most annoying thing was that I couldn't play Hearthstone. It would have run no problems. But getting Battle.net running with WINE just didn't work. Closest I got was blackscreen on launch or super-bugged graphics.

i got Overwatch to run in wine. very poorly, to the point of being unplayable with lots of stutters and frame drops, but it did work... btw without battle.net. you can just launch the .exe and log in within Overwatch itself... 

She/Her

The update seemed more like a number change to me then anything else really, but I'm not a heavy Ubuntu user and the only device I have with Ubuntu running as the main OS is still on 16.04 LTS.

As others have mentioned... LTT does quite a bit of showcasing for unraid.

They also did at least one video on FreeNAS

Also Linux does make the LAN show when news happens. (skipped to 00:54:10 for your convenience)

Luke had mentioned multiple instances of him using Linux. So I don't think LTT is anti Linux at all.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

On 5/21/2018 at 12:32 AM, firelighter487 said:

yeah ok, but some things he does i'm like well that makes no sense to use Windows for. like scrapyard wars. oh yeah i'm gonna get a $300 pc. oh i need to buy a Windows license.. that hurts the value so much.

What?

That's because most gamers game on Windows. People who want to make a budget built, want to see what they can get for their value while still gaming on Windows. Want to use Linux? Awesome, your budget just increased by $100.

Yes there are games on Linux, but the vast majority of games are still Windows only.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:00 AM, firelighter487 said:

i'm not saying just because it isn't mentioned often they are against it, but sometimes it makes sense to use Linux. a $300 pc in scrapyard wars? add $199.99 to that for Windows 10 home.

Where are you paying $200 for Windows 10 Home?

$99 for the OEM copy:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10_home-_-32-416-892-_-Product

$120 for the Retail 32 + 64-bit copy:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832397825&cm_re=windows_10_home-_-32-397-825-_-Product

I noticed your location says the Netherlands. I checked Tweakers.net, and Windows 10 Home is still under $100 Euro - and as cheap as $54.99 Euro.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Okay - but that's more expensive than simply buying it in-store or at regular online retailers. Tweakers.net has Windows 10 Home for $54.99 Euro.

If a gamer doesn't do his homework and ends up paying triple for Windows, that's not an argument to exclusive Windows from these kinds of budget builds.

It actually makes me mad when people do these budget builds (most typical as "console killers") and exclude Windows. That's not realistic. The vast vast majority of gamers use Windows. LTT can and does take that into consideration.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)