is LTT anti-Linux?

Ashleyyyy
2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Because iOS' market share is still significant and LMG alone has a significant iOS users. Linux on the other hand is basically a line near zero in the line graph. 

sure, but that could change if there was more awareness of it. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

thanks!

It wasn't a complement.  You're just looking for something to complain about.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i think it should be talked about! i think awareness of Linux needs to rise. there are so many instances where LTT complains about Windows, but they don't promote a free open source alternative?

Because they're a business.  It's not their job to do free advertisements.  They entertain and make money from it.

If you'd seen Scrapyard Wars, you'd know that software is never part of the budget.  On top of that, they wouldn't be able to use things like AIDA64 on Linux.  They aren't trying to use the cheapest alternative software.

They've never mentioned me on the WAN Show (at least not by name).  I guess they're anti-me. Should I throw a fit about it? 9_9

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And sometimes it makes more sense to use Windows.

i know that. my main pc is on Windows because that makes sense. i play a lot of windows only games so.. 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You also can't automatically assume the cost of Windows for something like this. Normally I would, but considering the whole point of Scrapyard Wars is to find used or cheap as possible stuff, then I can't add the requirement that the Windows license must be new. So I don't care if they use a retail key they already bought (which is transferable), a $20 Kinguin special, or just use Windows 10 without a key.

ok sure. i still think for a system like that Linux is a good option, but i understand your point. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

It wasn't a complement.  

you think i don't know that?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

You're just looking for something to complain about.

i'm not complaining. i'm trying to figure out why Linux gets so few mentions on LTT wne to me it makes sense to use/mention it. 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you'd seen Scrapyard Wars, you'd know that software is never part of the budget.  On top of that, they wouldn't be able to use things like AIDA64 on Linux.  They aren't trying to use the cheapest alternative software.

i think they should factor in software as part of the budget. isn't it crazy the way it is now? yeah sure you can get a certain set of hardware for lets say $300, but if you have to factor Windows into it then.. 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They've never mentioned me on the WAN Show (at least not by name).  I guess they're anti-me. Should I throw a fit about it? 9_9

i'm not throwing a fit. is this really considered throwing a fit now?

She/Her

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

sure, but that could change if there was more awareness of it. 

You should remember that LMG is a private establishment for profit, not for charity and it would be a waste in money for them to do unpaid product placements 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I saw something else to poke

22 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i think it should be talked about! i think awareness of Linux needs to rise. there are so many instances where LTT complains about Windows, but they don't promote a free open source alternative?

I don't see how spreading awareness of Linux would actually do anything. Lots of people aren't tech savvy enough to install Windows by themselves. What makes you think they'll be confident enough to install Linux?

On top of that, Linux has its own set of problems and headaches. Switching to Linux doesn't solve any problems one has with Windows. It only gives them a different set of problems. And being free and open source doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have proprietary software that works 100% of the time than FOSS that pisses itself every two minutes (not saying Windows is 100% reliable or Linux is super unreliable)

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

You should remember that LMG is a private establishment for profit, not for charity and it would be a waste in money for them to do unpaid product placements 

i thought they get money by sponsorships? i assume Apple don't provide stuff for them.. since Linus said he sold his iMac 5k... 

and i totally understand Linus has to pay the bills. 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't see how spreading awareness of Linux would actually do anything. Lots of people aren't tech savvy enough to install Windows by themselves. What makes you think they'll be confident enough to install Linux?

that's not what i mean. for example, i can't exactly remember the video, but Linus had a few old network cards, to make your internet speeds faster or something. and he had a problem on Windows with that hardware, and he said it would be cool to show the speeds on Linux, most of the audience runs Windows so he didn't, and i get that. 

but why not show it in a seperate video anyway? i assume a portion of the LTT audience uses a file server. if you put Linux on that you could use those network cards... 

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On top of that, Linux has its own set of problems and headaches. Switching to Linux doesn't solve any problems one has with Windows. It only gives them a different set of problems. And being free and open source doesn't mean anything to me. I'd rather have proprietary software that works 100% of the time than FOSS that pisses itself every two minutes (not saying Windows is 100% reliable or Linux is super unreliable)

oh believe me i have experienced plenty of Linux issues. i've been using it for about 5 years so... 

i mainly use Linux because i find Windows 10 really annoying. oh yeah sure do a background antivirus thing while my laptop is on battery. i like to have a bit more control over what my devices do.. 

She/Her

34 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm not complaining. i'm trying to figure out why Linux gets so few mentions on LTT wne to me it makes sense to use/mention it. 

I'm not sure you understand how a Youtube business works.  Making videos is both expensive and time-consuming.  They only make money if enough people watch their ad-based content.  it makes zero sense to spend money on a video that very few people will watch.  It's great that you found a use for it, but that doesn't mean he should do free advertising.  They've made a few videos I thought were very stupid, but I understood why they were made.  It's about getting the most people to watch something.  They tried click-bait titles a couple times, but the blowback was terrible.

34 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i think they should factor in software as part of the budget. isn't it crazy the way it is now? yeah sure you can get a certain set of hardware for lets say $300, but if you have to factor Windows into it then.. 

Okay, so the budget is $400 and one of the steps is that they buy a $100 copy of Windows (they definitely couldn't use Kinguin, for legal reasons).  It's exactly like giving a $300 budget and using the keys they already own, except now they've wasted $100 each on a one-time-use key.

As for using Linux in Scrapyard Wars, that's just making it too complicated.  While it's nowhere near as terrible as it used to be, driver support for Linux falls short compared to Windows.  The last time I used Ubuntu (about 6 months ago for a file server) I ended up having to switch back to Windows because my wireless adapter didn't have a driver.  Setting up software RAID was also overly complicated.  Diagnosing driver issues isn't fun to watch, and it's not always fixable.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

-snip-

most of the LTT viewers use windows as most are gamer

windows is the most used personal OS in the world

unless we add every other device including servers, mobile devices etc, then Linux is king...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

go to level1techs if you want linux news, even then you wont get much.

Yeah Wendell is the man when it comes to Linux in the bigger names.

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i watch level1techs... 

Do you sub to the Level 1 Linux channel though?

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

It's not that Linus hates GNU/Linux.

It's that he doesn't use it, and neither does his fans.

LTT is not a technology channel. It's an entertainment channel people watch to see expensive stuff that Linus usually gets paid to act excited about.

The chances that Linus finds someone willing to pay him to talk well about GNU/Linux is very small, and even if such a company existed his audience are not going to find it interesting. His audience wants to see consumer electronics, like iPhones or an expensive graphics cards. Not hear about the change to the kernel and shell in an OS they don't understand or personally use.

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm not sure you understand how a Youtube business works.  Making videos is both expensive and time-consuming.  They only make money if enough people watch their ad-based content.  it makes zero sense to spend money on a video that very few people will watch.  It's great that you found a use for it, but that doesn't mean he should do free advertising.  They've made a few videos I thought were very stupid, but I understood why they were made.  It's about getting the most people to watch something.  They tried click-bait titles a couple times, but the blowback was terrible.

i know how it works. i'm not asking for dedicated video's. 

Okay, so the budget is $400 and one of the steps is that they buy a $100 copy of Windows (they definitely couldn't use Kinguin, for legal reasons).  It's exactly like giving a $300 budget and using the keys they already own, except now they've wasted $100 each on a one-time-use key.

exactly. if viewers want to replicate the builds from scrapyard wars they'll discover that they need an extra $100 (roughly)...

As for using Linux in Scrapyard Wars, that's just making it too complicated.  While it's nowhere near as terrible as it used to be, driver support for Linux falls short compared to Windows.  The last time I used Ubuntu (about 6 months ago for a file server) I ended up having to switch back to Windows because my wireless adapter didn't have a driver.  Setting up software RAID was also overly complicated.  Diagnosing driver issues isn't fun to watch, and it's not always fixable.

i'll admit Linux does have it's crazy things when it comes to drivers. but usually on my systems all i need to install is the proprietary Nvidia drivers. that's it. not that the gpu won't work with the open source drivers, but for optimal performance and stuff i install those. 

9 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

Doesn't Ubuntu release a new update every 6 months..

correct, but the releases that are not LTS releases are recommended for people who want the latest stuff. LTS releases are the stable releases that other software makers usuallty focus on as well. a new LTS release comes out every 2 years. 

9 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

most of the LTT viewers use windows as most are gamer

windows is the most used personal OS in the world

unless we add every other device including servers, mobile devices etc, then Linux is king...

true, but lots of mainstream games are available on Linux natively. 

7 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Yeah Wendell is the man when it comes to Linux in the bigger names.

yep

7 hours ago, Virus__ said:

Do you sub to the Level 1 Linux channel though?

yes. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

LTT is not a technology channel. It's an entertainment channel where people watch to see expensive stuff

not me. i mainly watch for cheap stuff and reviews of laptops that i'm interested in.. and to keep up with developments in tech. 

LTT gave me the idea to use old server stuff to build my pc. and i'm very happy. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

that Linus usually gets paid to act excited about.

i don't think this is true. i complain a lot about LTT, but i do believe Linus is a genuine tech-head just like us who won't recommend a product purely because he's paid. he might treat bad things about a product lightly or whatever, but i think he won't mislead his viewers. 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

his audience are not going to find it interesting. His audience wants to see consumer electronics, like iPhones or an expensive graphics cards. Not hear about the change to the kernel and shell in an OS they don't understand or personally use.

that's not what i'm asking for. i'm not really asking for anything, more wondering why. 

She/Her

13 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i don't think this is true. i complain a lot about LTT, but i do believe Linus is a genuine tech-head just like us who won't recommend a product purely because he's paid. he might treat bad things about a product lightly or whatever, but i think he won't mislead his viewers. 

You're free to believe whatever you want, but please keep in mind that Linus is fairly open about never having used a lot of the products and services he has endorses in ads.

15 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

true, but lots of mainstream games are available on Linux natively. 

It's still small minority. I don't see Fortnite, PUBG, BF1 or the newest cod on linux.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You're free to believe whatever you want, but please keep in mind that Linus is fairly open about never having used a lot of the products and services he has endorses in ads.

yeah ads, not whole product reviews right?

4 minutes ago, aakopa said:

It's still small minority. I don't see Fortnite, PUBG, BF1 or the newest cod on linux.

that is true. but there are still enough games on Linux to do benchmarks. 

i'm not gonna say that i'm surprised that this community doesn't use Linux very heavily, my main rig is on Windows for gaming too so.. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

that is true. but there are still enough games on Linux to do benchmarks. 

What is the point of benchmarking games people don't play?

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

Just now, aakopa said:

I laughed, but honestly I have Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Metro Last Light - Neither of which games I have ever played but I still have several hours on them in my steam profile from running their benchmarks. Sad thing is I actually own Last Light twice, once for the old version and then another copy in the Redux version.

I'll get round to playing them eventually...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, aakopa said:

CS:GO, tomb raider, Metro: Last Light Redux... these are just in my steam libary. there are more..

She/Her

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm not just talking about WAN. how many Linux video's has LTT done?

The PCIe hotswap got Linux mention. And you could add to that list any time they use RasPi's.

12 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

true, but big WIndows updates get discussed  a bit..

Not so much that I would remember hearing. They might have said MS has broken things again. But maybe we should list other OS' and mobile OS' updates which don't got mentions. Android, iOS, macOS (that one changed name and there weren't fanfares!), freeBSD... Problem with Mac and Linux releases is that they aren't that game changing. Last bigger Linux update that I can remember was 10 years ago. Back when Aero was big thing with Vista and Linux smashed that with quite variety of desktop glory.

11 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Because iOS' market share is still significant and LMG alone has a significant iOS users. Linux on the other hand is basically a line near zero in the line graph. 

I think they have one Apple-boy. Linus uses both Android and iOS because of all phone reviews. But currently phones themselves are bigger deal than what OS offers. It was quite different few years ago.

11 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We are a fairly gaming-centric tech channel.

Linux gaming is pants. 

Hope that helps. 

What about SteamOS and Steam Machines? I remember Luke being pretty stoked about them.

...Oh yeah, they dead...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

They have nothing against linux (they even used it in a few videos) but it's just not their field... and if they covered every major distro release they'd have to use a decent chunk of the wan show just on that. There are plenty of linux centric outlets that will tell you everything you want to know about ubuntu, LTT is just not one of them.

13 hours ago, ltguy said:

If he had a use case that linux was best for, i'm sure he'd rock it.

He did (and maybe still does...?) - unraid is a linux distribution and he used it for easy vfio passthrough in his "multiple OSs on one machine" projects.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, firelighter487 said:

exactly. if viewers want to replicate the builds from scrapyard wars they'll discover that they need an extra $100 (roughly)...

1. They can't replicate builds.  Scrapyard wars doesn't involve getting new stuff.
  2. Knowing you need Windows isn't something you "discover".  Everyone who isn't a total idiot knows that, and if you can put a computer together then you know it needs an OS.
  3. Why should they waste $200+ because you're picky?
  4. Most people aren't going to get the key directly from MS, because they aren't being filmed and don't have to worry about legal trouble from using the grey market.

You have your answer.  They aren't anti-linux, they're an entertainment channel.

They aren't anti-Linux. They've made videos about it when there are interesting use cases, like the various implementations of unraid. They've also made a couple of tech quickie videos about Linux.

15 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

and LTT could showcase Linux a lot more in my opinion. 

All of his X-gamers 1pc systems used Linux (unraid). He also does reviews on a bunch of Android phones so there's Linux too.

Where else could he showcase Linux in any meaningful way? o.O

14 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What makes Ubuntu 18.04 any more newsworthy than Fedora 28 being released a few weeks ago? I use Fedora based Linux distros at work. That's more newsworthy to me than a new version of Ubuntu being released.

Woo! Fedora! Represent!

Yay for Nvidia drivers that now work right off an included repo. Yay for Nvidia working with Wayland!

14 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

go to level1techs if you want linux news, even then you wont get much. 

I'd suggest Phoronix. It's literally a GNU/Linux news site that publishes some really in depth technical articles and who developed the Phoronix Test Suite benchmark collection.

13 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

and the second photo backs up one of my earlier points that Apple iPhones get a lot of attention on LTT, but Android is way more used. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but while the worldwide market share for the iPhone is way lower than Android they live in Canada and serve a US audience. In the US and Canada it's about 65/35 Android and iOS.