Want "free" PC games? You can get them by letting a German company mine on your GPU

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/rent-out-your-graphics-card-for-mining-and-get-free-pc-games
https://www.gamesfromspace.com/

I haven't seen any mention of this on the forum besides one status update so I decided to create a post about it :)

KdJl26y.jpg

A German company has concocted a scheme by the name of 'Games from Space’ which borrows your GPU for cryptocurrency mining purposes, and in return gives you free PC games.

Now, obviously they’re not exactly free as such – as the use of your graphics card for mining will up your PC’s power consumption, and have a cost on your electricity bill – but nonetheless, there’s no direct cash outlay, and so this is a tempting proposition on the face of it.

Particularly given that some of the games are newer big-name affairs, like, for example, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) or Grand Theft Auto V.

To get involved, you need a Windows PC with a graphics card that has at least 3GB of video RAM.

You can then pick a game you want, and watch a progress bar slowly tick up as your GPU is used for the company’s mining efforts. The faster your graphics card, obviously enough, the quicker progress you’ll make towards getting that game.

It seems like an interesting way of getting profit from mining, especially if the electricity in your area is cheap and your PC is powerful-enough.
Though it makes me wonder - for this idea to be worth it for average users, the profit should be higher than regular mining...

On the website, you’re shown estimated timeframes of how long it will take for you to snare any particular title, based on using a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card. For example, the aforementioned PUBG and GTA V will take you around 28 days of mining, according to the company.

Older titles can be had much more quickly, of course: you can get DiRT 3 in a day.

Someone should calculate how much money you're getting per a full day of mining.

What about the impact on your PC's performance? They've got an answer to that too:

The mining application will run at full pelt if your PC is idle, and won’t interfere with the daily operation of your machine, the German firm promises.

Regarding when you fire up a game, in a press statement, the company noted: “If the user starts to play a game that uses the power of their graphics card, our software automatically shuts down.”

Although on the website, it suggests users can still game and mine at the same time, depending on the game being played, of course. But the overall idea is not to interfere with how well the game runs, as you would expect.

My opinion: It's a very interesting idea, we're yet to see how well it works and if this software is really good-enough to detect gaming load on your rig to turn off the mining app while you're gaming.
I also wonder about the profitability, though this is affected by your local electricity prices so results will vary. 

I've never mined in my life (not knowingly at least :P) but I might give it a shot actually, my GTX 1080 does 12Gbps on the memory so the mining speed might be quite good.

Your thoughts?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Sold! when do i get to sign up my Pentium 4/GT 730?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

What games do they give though. Worms? Lemmings?

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

1 minute ago, userzero said:

What games do they give though. Worms? Lemmings?

My post mentions two titles: GTA V and PUBG. You can find more on their website which is linked at the top of the post.
OqKP3VM.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

GTA V isn't a new title though..... (Original launch was on Consoles in 2013 and launch on PC was in 2015). If it takes 28 days of mining to get it with their scheme then that's really sad -_-.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

GTAV as "new"? It's nearly 5 years old! Still good of course. I suspect they acquire the game licences at lower cost than retail, so from a user perspective this is probably ball park comparable to mining then buying it youself. The advantage here might be that the user doesn't have to set up mining software (although things like nicehash makes it trivial) and doesn't have to then convert or otherwise spend the crypto to get the game, taking out that step.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

This would be fine if I had solar. Then again-I don't think I could stand my noisy+hot GTX970 running 24/7 (the GPU shouldn't have been used in an overclocked model).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Some of those games are worth a couple of days of mining in my opinion, others like pubg clearly are not... I might give it a try for the 2-3 games I'm interested in from that list, hopefully my fury doesn't suffer excessively for it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Some of those games are worth a couple of days of mining in my opinion, others like pubg clearly are not... I might give it a try for the 2-3 games I'm interested in from that list, hopefully my fury doesn't suffer excessively for it.

It's pretty much what I think too, for some of those games I might try mining for a few days with my 1080, the speed should be quite good considering a 12Gbps OC on the GDDR5X memory, right?

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

the speed should be quite good considering a 12Gbps OC on the GDDR5X memory, right?

That's what all the miners seem to think linus_swag48x48.jpg.c1a9297db827c6ff47c9d56831be8e0c.jpg

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 days mining for Skyrim - something which costs $10 on Amazon and $3 on a Steam sale with all DLCs. Good idea but not great value.

Would probably cost me more in electric than the games are worth (in sales). ;) 

1 hour ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

I’d rather get a real job work for a week then quit and be able to buy like 10 games on a steam sale. Rather then have my pc die sooner while I wait a month for a game 

Or buy like 200 games on a steam sale.

Christmas (;

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

On the website, you’re shown estimated timeframes of how long it will take for you to snare any particular title, based on using a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card. For example, the aforementioned PUBG and GTA V will take you around 28 days of mining, according to the company.

Older titles can be had much more quickly, of course: you can get DiRT 3 in a day.

Someone should calculate how much money you're getting per a full day of mining.

Nicehash is paying $1.88/day for a 1070 right now,  which is lower than you would make direct mining. So maybe not bad for someone who isn't very tech savvy? But pubg goes for $30 and in 28 days you can make $52.64 with nicehash (before electric costs) which is ridiculously easy to use. 

Neat idea, not that great in practice. You'd be better off just pool mining zcash and using an exchange or two. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

My main concern is like a teenager mining at his parents place because he is low on cash and this way it is "free" leaving his parents stuck with the bill.

Do they at least include a warning like "Mining cost energy and energy is not free"

I wonder if is this safe in the first place? borrowing your hardware to others is often root of issues...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, QBtech said:

My main concern is like a teenager mining at his parents place because he is low on cash and this way it is "free" leaving his parents stuck with the bill.

Do they at least include a warning like "Mining cost energy and energy is not free"

True! I would check if the computer of your kid is turned off when they are not home.

remember when linus and luke moved around with lawnmower to earn some extra cash, that seems more profitable right now :D for those in need

energy costs are ~ 28 cents / kilowatt so mining 28 days will hurt more than buying it directly

( 28 days - 672 hours while the pc runs with like ~0,4 kilowatt / h thats ~ 11-12cent/ h  ... do the math ... )

kinguin g2a and all the other shady sites offer GTA and PUBG "legit" for ~20-25 bucks

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

This is a very interesting thread, but mining on one GTX 1070 will take you 28 days.

That is like 600 hours. Imagine the amount of money you can earn in 600 hours from getting a real life job.

Considering the pay is $20 p/h, you can get $12,000, yet you only get a $30 game. 

Nice concept though, I really like it.

But then again, you spend a lot on power, and its really not worth it.

Just buy the damn game.

hi.

2 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

This is a very interesting thread, but mining on one GTX 1070 will take you 28 days.

That is like 600 hours. Imagine the amount of money you can earn in 600 hours from getting a real life job.

Considering the pay is $20 p/h, you can get $12,000, yet you only get a $30 game. 

I don' get these comparisons, as they don't work at all. 600 hours of mining is pretty much hands off 24/7 while you do other things. 600 hours of real work, assuming you do 40 hours a week, would take 15 months. Over a year.

Also - Why not both? The two are not exclusive. I have a day job, and I still mine on the side. The numbers work out for me, even with electricity and taxes considered.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

image.png.09c3a9a100b67c94f338cad3d3cdfa30.png

GPUs: 2 290X's

ETA for Doom (2016) is 5 days 17 hours. Hmm seems like a crap deal to me.

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.png.09c3a9a100b67c94f338cad3d3cdfa30.png

GPUs: 2 290X's

ETA for Doom (2016) is 5 days 17 hours. Hmm seems like a crap deal to me.

its a mega crap deal, on a gtx 970 i get ~150 coins/day it cant use nvidia gpu's properly apparently so fk it. Its only for AMD cards and the power cost to mine it is higher than the game price so stay out of it.

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

its a mega crap deal, on a gtx 970 i get ~150 coins/day it cant use nvidia gpu's properly apparently so fk it. Its only for AMD cards and the power cost to mine it is higher than the game price so stay out of it.

Well, a GTX 970 should be pretty crap for mining since it's dependable on memory speed and it requires at least 4GB AFAIK, the last 512MB part on a 970 is slower than system memory used by Intel iGPUs in terms of bandwidth, so yeah...