Nvidia allegedly threatened Kyle Bennett(HardOCP) with blacklisting over GPP

Rianshotfirst

NVIDIA told me I would be cut off if I published the GPP story...As for AIBs, we are not into new video card season yet, but I would guess that it is very possible that NVIDIA will forbid them from sampling HardOCP with NV GPU cards

Very sad if true. I hope that other tech journalists and media stand behind Kyle. This reminds me of Disney and their blacklist of the LA Times. It was good to see other critics and media members call that out. I hope the tech press is as close knit. 

10 minutes ago, Rianshotfirst said:

Wow this sucks.. I really do hope the rest of the FREE PRESS circles the wagons so to speak to help protect Kyle with the fall out of this for reporting on very bad practices that Nvidia was promoting with the GPP. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Rianshotfirst said:

Thank you for the information. Have edited the post.

You also need to add quotes from the source besides the opinion alone :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

People have been blacklisted by companies for far less, and the article itself had very strong opinionated sections that essentially bad mouthed Nvidia so this should be expected.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

People have been blacklisted by companies for far less, and the article itself had very strong opinionated sections the essentially bad mouthed Nvidia so this should be expected.

Just because it should be expected, does not mean we just have to let it slip by.

Just now, NMS said:

Just because it should be expected, does not mean we just have to let it slip by.

Reviewers don't have a right to free product, look at GamerNexus' response to blacklists and companies having shitty embargos they just circumnavigate them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

i think we should stop listening to people that get free review samples.

Sorry to introduce the typical "Big if true" to this thread but overall the GPP stuff has been so toxic with speculation that I would actually like to see evidence of Nvidia reps directly telling him this before we accept this version of events.

Do not get me wrong I think Nvidia are a veritable fucking cancer in the gaming industry. I just think that the way most people have gone on about the GPP topic is not healthy at all: it is very easy to later construe a similar conspiracy theory around intel or even AMD or anybody that is willing to use rumors and speculations to let rabid fans do their PR and marketing work for them.

We should fucking know better than that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Reviewers don't have a right to free product, look at GamerNexus' response to blacklists and companies having shitty embargos they just circumnavigate them.

Some companies have realized that blacklisting reviewers does nothing. The reviewer will get their hands on the product and shit on them anyway. (Jim Sterling and Sega).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Thats good old every day nvidia. 

It must all be true, given their actions.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, etc, must be a duck.

Yep, nobody has the right to free products.

But what a victory this whole episode has been for consumers and investigative journalism.

It does show the power of reporting. It created discussion on the topic, created bad PR for Nvidia, and even though we don't see it obviously behind the scenes it empowers the AIB partners to stand up to Nvidia, plus we all got to see Nvidia's shady reaction to it trying to avoid talking about it.

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Some companies have realized that blacklisting reviewers does nothing. The reviewer will get their hands on the product and shit on them anyway. (Jim Sterling and Sega).

It probably will do something to someone who was already struggling like hardocp by virtue of being an outdated medium on it's way out like a tech news website. The thing is that I don't like using the GPP controversy without providing solid, concrete and irrefutable evidence that this is happening when we know hardocp.com was likely to fail anyway just because most website-only operations are just no longer viable anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

It probably will do something to someone who was already struggling like hardocp by virtue of being an outdated medium on it's way out like a tech news website. The thing is that I don't like using the GPP controversy without providing solid, concrete and irrefutable evidence that this is happening when we know hardocp.com was likely to fail anyway just because most website-only operations are just no longer viable anymore.

It all makes sense, thats the way the evidence leans, it doesnt make it fact... but youd be ignorant to not extremely favor the idea that every shady thing theyve been acused of is true.

Please don't quote whole threads. It makes scrolling longer and harder for users to read.

Quote if you must, and replace the text with a small sentence or 2 from the quote, or just -snip-.

Thanks.

hi.

Not giving samples for reviews, don't matter, can just buy it. To pull ads off their site, that's a bit too far. Imo the worst is yet to come. Do hope hardocp will be ready for it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

28 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

People have been blacklisted by companies for far less, and the article itself had very strong opinionated sections that essentially bad mouthed Nvidia so this should be expected.

IMO that doesn't make it right. I'm sure as hell not going to give nVIDIA a free pass. Media has become far too corporatized as it is.

15 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

i think we should stop listening to people that get free review samples.

Easy there, you can start questioning people's motives and integrity the other way around as well.

"I think we should stop listening to salty reviewers who got blacklisted and have bad history with a company whose product they are reviewing".

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

we live in a post-gpp era now....

Seriously thats horrible Nvidia!

I don't get how they got such great engineers and developers and such shitty PR/marketing people in the same company. 

Also, I still don't understand why there was a need to aggressively push against the competition with gpp when you're already market leader.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I wish the OP had a little bit of effort and actually linked something useful:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/08/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't think it's ever good when companies do this, but it's been done before. E.g. AMD blacklisted gamers nexus after they did all the cooler measurements on TR on the unboxing embargo, which apparently they weren't supposed to do.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Also, I still don't understand why there was a need to aggressively push against the competition with gpp when you're already market leader.

It was the best time to do it.

Mining craze, supply spread thin, lack of memory, AIB partners are looking for increased GPU allocation as they cannot keep up with consumer demand. So they are more likely to sign on the dotted line if it means they can get more GPUs from Nvidia.

It matters little on the short term because AMD and Nvidia are both gonna sell out everything they can make for now.

But on the long-term it will benefit Nvidia cause the market will return to normal, and AIBs will be once again competing on price, and AMD will come back with a fast high end product which isn't being fully bought up by miners, and Intel-AMD combos could catch on etc... Nvidia was not thinking short term.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

It was the best time to do it.

Mining craze, supply spread thin, lack of memory, AIB partners are looking for increased GPU allocation as they cannot keep up with consumer demand. So they are more likely to sign on the dotted line if it means they can get more GPUs from Nvidia.

It matters little on the short term because AMD and Nvidia are both gonna sell out everything they can make for now.

But on the long-term it will benefit Nvidia cause the market will return to normal, and AIBs will be once again competing on price, and AMD will come back with a fast high end product which isn't being fully bought up by miners, and Intel-AMD combos could catch on etc... Nvidia was not thinking short term.

But even more in the long term it seems useless. They couldn't seriously expect to totally push amd out of the gpu market for good. And while they were winning with a better high end product on the gaming market already why pull something like this? They could maybe get some of amds share but nothing that would seem to warrant this full blown assault. Unless they are afraid of being outclassed in the high-end in the future? (Don;t really believe that's gonna happen anytime soon honestly).

So even if they were going for amds market share in the long run it doesn't seem to make sense?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, NMS said:

Nah I warned Kyle if there was anything wrong in his article that was stretching the truth, there will be retribution, and I would not be surprised if nV gets their AIB's to remove advertising from [H] and do other things too just out of spite.