Apple fans going into clauses about why Apple doesn't have to fix Linus' Mac Pro

57 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Let's start getting on content creators for using their products and not getting service. Hell, why stop there!? F#ck the hospitals for wanting to repair their oxygen lines.

It's a little ridiculous that we're having this discussion at all. That this is even under debate. People can say whatever they want, but as far as I'm concerned, Linus should be getting service for a product, even if his team broke it, because he is trying to shell out money to have it fixed. 

It makes no sense for people to be defending Apple at all. Even if they had to get the part from another country entirely, they can charge Linus extra to compensate for it. I wonder if people defending Apple were in a similar situation...if they would be angry at them for denying service for their product that they paid for, particularly if they're trying to give Apple money to actually do it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I wonder if people defending Apple were in a similar situation...

And that's what people are missing. If they're denying someone who has a large following (in this case Linus), imagine what they're doing to individuals with no such clout.

Defendants are making excuses for labor and BoM, dismantling a product, and voiding a warranty as their main points. I get that LTT is in Canada and the MMWA may not apply, but that compounds the fact that any sort of "voiding" of the warranty due to user servicing should be outlawed worldwide. Companies are there to make a profit, but in being allowed to do so must also make things easier for consumers. We, the consumers, shouldn't have to dance around limited and full warranties. The sooner we make an example of a large corporation, the sooner we set a precedence for consumer rights.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I totally agree with those saying apple doesn't have to fix it.

The same damage could have been incurred from a cat pushing it off a desk. should that consumer be told "nah, we're not fixing it, figure it out yourself, we don't have the parts or services in place to fix it"? Regardless of law, or Apple's own policies this is absolutely disgusting customer service and business practices, especially for a NEW product that costs $5,000.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Apple can do what it wants. So can I (and isn't buying anything Apple). I vote with my feet and my wallet.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What does clauses mean?

You've never heard of a clause of mackerel? No?

Spoiler

Good, because it isn't a real thing. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 19.4.2018 at 4:09 AM, BuckGup said:

I don't want to side one way or the other but if Apple says they won't fix it if you take it apart and then try to get it fixed they blatantly told them 

this would be all fine and good if apple would allow 3rd party repair shops to do it, instead they tell them they will not be a licensed repair shop any longer if they do.

they essentially want to create a market where you have to buy a new product if anything outside of warranty repairs goes wrong.

I'm getting a sense of double standards here, I would bet that if any other OEM did this, the same people defending Apple would be ripping the OEM a new one.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

And that's what people are missing. If they're denying someone who has a large following (in this case Linus), imagine what they're doing to individuals with no such clout.

Defendants are making excuses for labor and BoM, dismantling a product, and voiding a warranty as their main points. I get that LTT is in Canada and the MMWA may not apply, but that compounds the fact that any sort of "voiding" of the warranty due to user servicing should be outlawed worldwide. Companies are there to make a profit, but in being allowed to do so must also make things easier for consumers. We, the consumers, shouldn't have to dance around limited and full warranties. The sooner we make an example of a large corporation, the sooner we set a precedence for consumer rights.

Could one not argue that Apple dares to deny someone like Linus access to repairs despite his huge clout? So they don’t go like - hmm, this guy has a huge YouTube following and can make a lot of noise. Let’s bend over backwards to accommodate him just to shut him up while we continue to screw over the little people. 

No means no, even if you do have millions of YouTube subscribers. At least Apple seems consistent in that regard. 

While for someone like nameless little me, when my iMac had screen issues, Apple actually sent technicians down to my house, took my iMac back for servicing, and sent it back to my house a couple of days later. 

Or when my iPhone had a dead motherboard and Apple replaced it, no questions asked (though it did take a week as there was no Apple store in my country yet). 

Most recently, my Apple Watch just got replaced over chipping issues. 

If you ask me, Apple has been more than fair in my book. 

8 hours ago, Canada EH said:

What does clauses mean?

Individual components of a policy or agreement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

The same damage could have been incurred from a cat pushing it off a desk. should that consumer be told "nah, we're not fixing it, figure it out yourself, we don't have the parts or services in place to fix it"? Regardless of law, or Apple's own policies this is absolutely disgusting customer service and business practices, especially for a NEW product that costs $5,000.

No, it's not that they just broke the screen, it's that they broke everything inside as well (mobo and psu) which makes it complicated and more than simply switching the screen. Also, what kind of customer service would it be to do repairs that cost more than a new item?

On another note: I've had my iphones replaced about three times now, almost no questions asked. So not everything seems bad about their customer service. I believe there has been some severe miscommunication which made everyone mad about nothing really.

Also, I wanna see a cat that pushes an imac off a table ^^

Spoiler

79904d1367292154-trenavar-trenbolone-cat

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Individual components of a policy or agreement.

How does that relate to the title of this thread?

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

How does that relate to the title of this thread?

Apple fanboys are using specific clauses to justify Apple's refusal to repair the device.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Apple fanboys are using specific clauses to justify Apple's refusal to repair the device.

Oh so they are reading the fine print of the contract, now I understand.

I actually thought it was someone with not so good engrish

Do people forget that it isn't just the fact that Apple refuses the repair but also completely shuts down all other options of repair? I could understand Apple not wanting to repair the computer. I get it they have the right as an American company to do so. What I don't understand is Apple is essentially forbidding that iMac pro from EVER being repaired. That is wrong in my opinion.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Do people forget that it isn't just the fact that Apple refuses the repair but also completely shuts down all other options of repair? I could understand Apple not wanting to repair the computer. I get it they have the right as an American company to do so. What I don't understand is Apple is essentially forbidding that iMac pro from EVER being repaired. That is wrong in my opinion.

Not ever, but until someone is qualified to do it ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

15.jpg.f1757a35f476ff63132630a27950b4b7.jpg@LinusTech i was bored on the internet looking at pictures instead of working at 3am for some reason, and i thought youd like these in light of recent events. 

10.jpg.e8cceae762d6da5188122ef96ae7b3a4.jpg

2.jpg.9ce387117f0c9679039ce94e6023f085.jpg

be6e90ab0f0de8268c7dcc8b6c46748a.jpg

The only thing I see as being questionable is the fact that Apple did not put in place the procedures and infrastructure within their authorised repair network to deal with iMac pro repairs.

Which immediately begs the question if you required a repair covered under warrantee would Apple be forced to replace the product no matter what part was faulty??

Next question- is this by design? Has Apple in fact reduced its manufacturing costs to the point where it is cheaper to replace machines regardless of what is at fault and repair for resale than to pay labour to carry out warrantee repairs????  IMHO this may be the case, certainly not beyond the realms of possibility with a company that controls literally every stage of its product's existence from manufacturing to the customers hands. 

To clarify- there is a theoretical tipping point where the cost of manufacture is lower than the cost of X hours of labour by  technicians + all logistical costs for supplying your repair network with replacement parts + the management overhead. AT which point it becomes cheaper for the manufacturer to replace the entire product, maybe not in every individual instance but over the course of an entire financial year the money saved by choosing to replace rather than carry out lengthy complicated repairs balances out the replacement of machines that only require easy quick fix repairs.

MY RIG- I call it the millennium falcon “she doesn’t look like much but she’s got it where it counts kid”

CoolerMaster HAFX, ASUS Maximus Ranger vii, Intel i-5 4690k @4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, Reference GTX1080, 480GB SSD, Corsair RM850W. . Cooling- Corsair H60 w Noctua NF-F12, EK DBay res/pump combo, EK-FC1080FE block, 360mm radiator, 3x Noctua industrial 2000rpm fans. . Displays- LGOLED55B7V, ACER KG241. Peripherals- Corsair M65, Roccat RYOS MK-PRO, Logitech G633, Logitech G920

People seem to be under the impression that Apple will not repair a iMac Pro... That is simply not the case. If you walked into a store with the unit still sealed, they would have given you a brand new one on the spot. Problem is this LTT been abused the a review sample, Apple know this from the serial numbers in the video already and the parts that need to be replaced are very likely going to cost basically the same as new unit.

People need to get it through their heads that Apples are not PC's they are custom designed and built for Apple to service. Just because you have a crappy iFixit toolkit doesn't mean its smooth sailing. The glues glasses is annoying compared to the old magnetic ones I agree, however it ensures no dust ever gets behind the glass which was an issue on older screens.

If it was a genuine failure, Apple would swaped the iMac out, moved the SSD's across and send it back for refurbishment.

4 minutes ago, aokman said:

the parts that need to be replaced are very likely going to cost basically the same as new unit.

I want you to think about that statement. If just a couple parts in a system are as expensive as the system itself, how is Apple still in business?

By your logic, they lose thousands of dollars for every time they sell a system. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 hours ago, aokman said:

People seem to be under the impression that Apple will not repair a iMac Pro... That is simply not the case. If you walked into a store with the unit still sealed, they would have given you a brand new one on the spot. Problem is this LTT been abused the a review sample, Apple know this from the serial numbers in the video already and the parts that need to be replaced are very likely going to cost basically the same as new unit.

People need to get it through their heads that Apples are not PC's they are custom designed and built for Apple to service. Just because you have a crappy iFixit toolkit doesn't mean its smooth sailing. The glues glasses is annoying compared to the old magnetic ones I agree, however it ensures no dust ever gets behind the glass which was an issue on older screens.

If it was a genuine failure, Apple would swaped the iMac out, moved the SSD's across and send it back for refurbishment.

Idk i think thats pretty dumb as all electronics are basically the same.

If i can fix something on my computer, i can fix it on my amp, radio, tv, its all mostly the same.

9 hours ago, aokman said:

Problem is this LTT been abused the a review sample

Incorrect. Linus said he bought the computer. It is not a review sample.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

9 hours ago, aokman said:

...Problem is this LTT been abused the a review sample, Apple know this from the serial numbers in the video already and the parts that need to be replaced are very likely going to cost basically the same as new unit...

Problem is you need to pay attention to what has been said and watch the video. This was not a review sample; it wasn't given to him. Linus bought the thing outright!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 4/18/2018 at 9:13 PM, Sierra Fox said:

But outright refusing to fix it when it's offered to pay for it is different than refusing to fix it under warranty

They don't have to fix it just because you'll pay them though... is there any binding agreement that says if you pay for it they must fix it? I'd assume that's up to them whether they want to fix it or not. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch