Apple fans going into clauses about why Apple doesn't have to fix Linus' Mac Pro

9 hours ago, aokman said:

Problem is this LTT been abused the a review sample

Not a review sample. Linus stated in his video that he bought the machine. Apple doesn't even provide review samples to LMG.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think it is amazing that the worlds largest company can't fix their 2/3rd best selling product.  Whats even more silly is people defending that lack of customer service.

Legal or not, not offering a repair service for your customers is a failure of after sales service.  And claiming they simply can't do it is BS. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I want you to think about that statement. If just a couple parts in a system are as expensive as the system itself, how is Apple still in business?

By your logic, they lose thousands of dollars for every time they sell a system. 

So you are replacing the PSU, Mainboard, PSU and screen. What else is left? 2 SSD's and a chassis. Not to mention individual parts always cost more than the sum of said parts regardless of manufacturer.

3 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Idk i think thats pretty dumb as all electronics are basically the same.

If i can fix something on my computer, i can fix it on my amp, radio, tv, its all mostly the same.

That is not how Apple do things, they don't want plebs like Louis fixing their hardware with bodge wires, ripping up tracks and harvesting parts from 2nd hand boards. They want the whole unit to go back to the same factory where htey are made, with the same tooling which allows them to properly diagnose the failure, refurbish and resell on the Apple store. They have been doing this for an eternity, if you think they was going to go any other way then you're an idiot to be frank.

As for businesses not tolerating this sort of downtime, well they wouldn't. They would have walked out with a brand new unit. LTT decided to roll the dice and open their unit for click bait when it has already been done by numerous people and now it has bitten them on the ass.

Seriously I have a very poor opinion of LTT in general its like watching a toddler assemble PC. Always impatient, never taking precautions and every mod they do is a quick hack job.

8 minutes ago, aokman said:

That is not how Apple do things, they don't want plebs like Louis fixing their hardware with bodge wires, ripping up tracks and harvesting parts from 2nd hand boards. They want the whole unit to go back to the same factory where htey are made, with the same tooling which allows them to properly diagnose the failure, refurbish and resell on the Apple store. They have been doing this for an eternity, if you think they was going to go any other way then you're an idiot to be frank.

Who cares what apple want?  In the repair business it's all about what the customer wants/can afford.  If the customer doesn't want to buy a new phone, and the repairer can't get the parts because apple wont sell them, then the choices are very limited.  Replacing a trace with a wire because the customer can't afford/obtain a new PCB is not he same as a dodgy repair by choice.    It's poor after sales service nothing more nothing less. 

Calling people idiots because they expect the worlds largest company to be something other than a dick is also BS.

EDIT: also if apple offered the same service and repairs to all their customers (even if it cost a little bit more) then Loui would only have a job working on android phones and windows laptops. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 4/18/2018 at 10:28 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

The reason Apple's market share is small in comparison to "normal" PCs is because Macs all command a sizable premium (minus the Mac Mini), whereas you can go pick up some shitty used pile of ass Acer for 15 bucks and call it a day, or get a 200 dollar shitty laptop... You see where I'm goin' with this, right?

Where are you getting a $15 computer from???????

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Who cares what apple want?  In the repair business it's all about what the customer wants/can afford.  If the customer doesn't want to buy a new phone, and the repairer can't get the parts because apple wont sell them, then the choices are very limited.  Replacing a trace with a wire because the customer can't afford/obtain a new PCB is not he same as a dodgy repair by choice.    It's poor after sales service nothing more nothing less. 

Calling people idiots because they expect the worlds largest company to be something other than a dick is also BS.

They wouldn't be buying a new unit... it would be swapped over instantly and the faulty hardware sent back.

Stop arguing about something that will never change, its Apple, this is how they do things. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

36 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think it is amazing that the worlds largest company can't fix their 2/3rd best selling product.  Whats even more silly is people defending that lack of customer service.

Legal or not, not offering a repair service for your customers is a failure of after sales service.  And claiming they simply can't do it is BS. 

I agree with your point but I'm just curious what unit of measurement you're using to call apple the world's largest. Walmart is top by revenue last time i looked and top in number of employees if you don't count governments

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, aokman said:

They wouldn't be buying a new phone... it would be swapped over instantly and the faulty hardware sent back.

Stop arguing about something that will never change, its Apple, this is how they do things. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Did you even follow the thread or are you just upset because apple are being silly and people are calling it?  You are the one trying to make arguments out of conditions that are a direct result of apples policies. Almost everyone here is simply pointing out the reality of the situation.

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I agree with your point but I'm just curious what unit of measurement you're using to call apple the world's largest. Walmart is top by revenue last time i looked and top in number of employees if you don't count governments

By revenue they are 9th, by market cap first and by profit 3rd.  But I generally try to keep it industry specific for clarity of comparison.  I should have qualified that.

52 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Apple doesn't even provide review samples to LMG.

I doubt Apple provides review samples period. If they had a product that costs two cents, and netted one cent profit, they'd still make reviewers buy it, and charge three cents to fix it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

it's not even good business, trowing away free money. Linus would have over paid for normal parts as they were tech caviar. For most normal companies making money out of selling parts and repairs would be part of the business plan.

That's what you get from a company that as too much money and customers that return no matter how you treat them, by selling them overpriced, locked and unrepairable products. 

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Did you even follow the thread or are you just upset because apple are being silly and people are calling it?  You are the one trying to make arguments out of conditions that are a direct result of apples policies. Almost everyone here is simply pointing out the reality of the situation.

My point is LTT is at fault for breaking the unit, Apple is under no obligation to fix it. It is like running your car into a lamp post and expecting the manufacturer to fix it when it is not financially viable or considered a total write off. If Apple were to fix it then they have to supply a statutory warranty on it again which they obviously don't want to do because people have been playing around in there that have NFI what they are doing.

LTT can stop crying poor shaking their donation can, their motives behind this was to pure make money on ad revenue. They rolled the dice and lost, they are not an Apple consumer. If they never opened it, it would still be working, how is that Apples fault?

Personally I hope Apple do come to the party and hand them an $11,000 bill for it.

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

My point is LTT is at fault for breaking the unit, Apple is under no obligation to fix it. It is like running your car into a lamp post and expecting the manufacturer to fix it when it is not financially viable or considered a total write off. If Apple were to fix it then they have to supply a statutory warranty on it again which they obviously don't want to do because people have been playing around in there that have NFI what they are doing.

LTT can stop crying poor shaking their donation can, their motives behind this was to pure make money on ad revenue. They rolled the dice and lost, they are not an Apple consumer. If they never opened it, it would still be working, how is that Apples fault?

Personally I hope Apple do come to the party and hand them an $11,000 bill for it.

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it's not even good business, trowing away free money. Linus would have over paid for normal parts as they were tech caviar. For most normal companies making money out of selling parts and repairs would be part of the business plan.

That's what you get from a company that as too much money and customers that return no matter how you treat them, by selling them overpriced, locked and unrepairable products. 

Linux already proved the hardware is not overpriced, in fact it is quite a bit cheaper. The hardware is repairable but it is not don't at an Apple store. Apple want to maintain control of their repair workflow to stop dodgy 3rd parties compromising repair quality. Louis is a perfect example of this.

8 minutes ago, aokman said:

My point is LTT is at fault for breaking the unit, Apple is under no obligation to fix it.

That's not a point, I think everyone understands this. No one is saying they should be forced to do it, they are saying it is a dick move not to offer the service.  

It is like running your car into a lamp post and expecting the manufacturer to fix it when it is not financially viable or considered a total write off.

It's upto the paying customer to decide if it is worth the repair cost or not,  not offering the option to repair on the grounds that they think it is not worth it is BS. It doesn't even change the debate.

If Apple were to fix it then they have to supply a statutory warranty on it again which they obviously don't want to do because people have been playing around in there that have NFI what they are doing.

No they don't, learn consumer law in your country before making such claims.  They can do repairs and offer "as is" warranties or lack thereof.

LTT can stop crying poor shaking their donation can, their motives behind this was to pure make money on ad revenue.

Oh please,  stop with the emotional rubbish.  No one cares.

They rolled the dice and lost, they are not an Apple consumer. If they never opened it, it would still be working, how is that Apples fault?

No one said it was apples fault, are you even following the thread?

And they'll probably pay it or decide to buy a new one. Either way that is better than holding the unit for 3 months then claiming they "CAN'T" fix it. 

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I doubt Apple provides review samples period. If they had a product that costs two cents, and netted one cent profit, they'd still make reviewers buy it, and charge three cents to fix it.

Doesn't MKBHD get review samples (at the very least he gets the iPhone before it launches)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

39 minutes ago, aokman said:

So you are replacing the PSU, Mainboard, PSU and screen. What else is left? 2 SSD's and a chassis. Not to mention individual parts always cost more than the sum of said parts regardless of manufacturer.

As for businesses not tolerating this sort of downtime, well they wouldn't. They would have walked out with a brand new unit. LTT decided to roll the dice and open their unit for click bait when it has already been done by numerous people and now it has bitten them on the ass.

Seriously I have a very poor opinion of LTT in general its like watching a toddler assemble PC. Always impatient, never taking precautions and every mod they do is a quick hack job.

Who cares, they bought it. They can do whatever they want with it. If you fix it or break it, it doesnt influence anything other than their ability to sell more to you.

LTT does things just fine. I was modding my computer when i was 8 years old, its not rocket science. Idm what you're talking about there. However i get the vibe they arent all that good with power tools and such, but thats coming from a tradesman. So im sure i have different standards.

Ultimately how they handled this and many other cases, is bad for the consumer and good for the company. I dont think its right, but i suppose they are within their rights.

Apple rapair technicians are people just like everyone else. They make mistakes, they shower naked, etc. Im sure lots of people are better at repairing apple products than their technicians. 

I dont get the whole technician thing, where you NEED one of their people or youre screwed

57 minutes ago, aokman said:

Louis Rossmann, a "pleb"? For correcting shoddy apple repair jobs? Better solder quality than apple's own factory service? Sometimes a patch wire is necessary,it doesn't affect how the machine works at all, i'd guess it's down to apples shitty board design that doesn't allow easy board level fixes. Harvesting 2nd hand parts is the only way people like Louis can fix things, because Apple doesn't want to provide parts, which goes against the right to repair and is about as anti-consumer as it gets. 

A real business shouldn't be tolerating that their IT department can't take an imac pro and swap out a PSU or bad ram, so yeah apple wants you to just go buy another new machine.

If you think Linus took apart the machine for clickbait you must be chugging that apple koolaid, the screen broke in the middle of their in depth review, since apple refuses to even give the computer a diagnosis we don't know if the motherboard and PSU are dead for sure until LTT makes a video with Louis Rossmann. What if the display glass were to accidentally break? Apple would still say nope sorry go buy another.

Meanwhile Apple glues a chunk of rubber onto a chip forcing the solder underneath that chip to make contact making their laptops work again lol.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, aokman said:

The way I see it is that the point of this was to get people's opinion on this issue, and if it's determined widely that this is a problem with Apple's terms of service and their ideologies as a company, it will raise awareness and hopefully lead to a change that people find favorable. And no one is claiming that this is Apple's fault; this is about what a company is obligated to do for the consumer. If a company's purpose is not to provide goods and services to the consumer, then what IS that purpose? I'm not sure if Apple's terms would stand up in court, but I do know that they violate a moral obligation because they are completely screwing over a paying customer. If they provided other reasonable options, it would certainly be more fine, but this is an utter failure of their policies to satisfy the consumer, and I just don't see how people are okay with that.

The stark defenders of Apple are so caught up in the technicalities of all this and aren't considering what a company with better terms of service for this situation would do and the reasoning behind it. Apple is imperfect, just like every other company, and shouldn't it have a responsibility to do better in the name of the consumer? Wouldn't all of you defenders of Apple like if the company provided more options in this situation, if only for the possibility that it might happen to you? It's not like it would break the bank for them, and would give them positive publicity. I can imagine the headlines now: "Apple Goes Out of Its Way to Provide Excellent Service to a Customer, Despite It Breaking the ToS. Fans Everywhere Rejoice, and Even Apple Critics Admit This Was a Good Deal." But, if ya'll are okay with Apple scraping by on technicalities, that's cool too, but I don't think that's a good game plan for a company.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Louis Rossmann, a "pleb"? For correcting shoddy apple repair jobs? Better solder quality than apple's own factory service? Sometimes a patch wire is necessary,it doesn't affect how the machine works at all, i'd guess it's down to apples shitty board design that doesn't allow easy board level fixes. Harvesting 2nd hand parts is the only way people like Louis can fix things, because Apple doesn't want to provide parts, which goes against the right to repair and is about as anti-consumer as it gets. 

A real business shouldn't be tolerating that their IT department can't take an imac pro and swap out a PSU or bad ram, so yeah apple wants you to just go buy another new machine. 

If you think Linus took apart the machine for clickbait you must be chugging that apple koolaid, the screen broke in the middle of their in depth review, since apple refuses to even give the computer a diagnosis we don't know if the motherboard and PSU are dead for sure until LTT makes a video with Louis Rossmann.

Meanwhile Apple glues a chunk of rubber onto a chip forcing the solder underneath that chip to make contact making their laptops work again lol.

Hide contents

He is a pleb, he will do hack jobs on anything to get his fix fee. No real repair person would lay our new circuit traces using bodge wires except as a short term solution to recover data. He does it and actually gives it back to customers as "fixed". On top of this he uses 2nd hand parts pulled from a bin of boards that aren't even kept ESD safe, let alone his desk.

I remember watching his video the other day where one of his other techs was trying to extra data from a Macbook Pro Retina using the lifeboat connector which is Apple way of offloading data from a faulty Macbook to a new on for a swap over. Since they don't have the lifeboat tool, they completely destroyed the connector trying to solder wires to it. The repair failed and now Apple cant fix it either because there is nothing left of the connector. 

And dont get me started on his soldering skills... jesus, take some pride in your work.

People may think Louis is some sort of Apple saviour but in reality he is just trying to exploit a market based on Apples policies using substandard repairs. 90% of the hardware that he repairs is liquid damage and no fault of apple itself.

Just now, aokman said:

substandard repairs.

Citation needed, buddy.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just now, aokman said:

And dont get me started on his soldering skills... jesus, take some pride in your work.

People may think Louis is some sort of Apple saviour but in reality he is just trying to exploit a market based on Apples policies using substandard repairs. 90% of the hardware that he repairs is liquid damage and no fault of apple itself.

Youre crazy guy

14 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Citation needed, buddy.

Sitation needed? Did you even ready my last post?

"I remember watching his video the other day where one of his other techs was trying to extract data from a Macbook Pro Retina using the lifeboat connector which is Apple way of offloading SSD data from a faulty Macbook to a new on for a swap over. Since they don't have the lifeboat tool like Apple, they completely destroyed the connector trying to solder wires to it. The repair failed and now Apple cant fix it either because there is nothing left of the connector." They should have just sent the customer back to Apple rather than risking the customers data just because they are desperate for the fix fee.

"Using speaker voice coil wires to form new traces to replace correded tracks" - This is only ever done in big industry as a temporary measure to recover data not as a means to fix a product permanently as it will never last.

"Pulling parts from 2nd hand boards that are all piled in a bin on top of each other from unknown sources with unknown faults"

"ANY mainboard that exhibits corrosion or water damage is a write off, should not be repaired. Louis is more than happy to fix the fault at hand and take his fee and another fault will come up in short order."

You are honestly telling me you would rather deal with someone using practices like this rather than just handing it to Apple and let them fit a new board. Louis just wants his fix fee and will go to extraordinary lengths to get it the deeper down the rabbit hole he goes.

Me personally, I have never had an Apple product die on me except a home button on a 3G so I cant weight in on it.

1 minute ago, aokman said:

"I remember watching his video the other day where one of his other techs was trying to extra data from a Macbook Pro Retina using the lifeboat connector which is Apple way of offloading SSD data from a faulty Macbook to a new on for a swap over. Since they don't have the lifeboat tool like Apple, they completely destroyed the connector trying to solder wires to it. The repair failed and now Apple cant fix it either because there is nothing left of the connector."

"Using speaker voice coil wires to form new traces to replace correded tracks" - This is only ever done in big industry as a temporary measure to recover data not as a means to fix a product permanently as it will never last.

"Pulling parts from 2nd hand boards that are all piled in a bin on top of each other from unknown sources with unknown faults"

"ANY mainboard that exhibits corrosion or water damage is a write off, should not be repaired. Louis is more than happy to fix the fault at hand and take his fee and another fault will come up in short order."

You are honestly telling me you would rather deal with someone using practices like this rather than just handing it to Apple and let them fit a new board. Louis just wants his fix fee and will go to extraordinary lengths to get it the deeper down the rabbit hole he goes.

Me personally, I have never had an Apple product die on me except a home button on a 3G so I cant weight in on it.

Well still, apples policy sucks. Most people dont like it

Warranty is fine, but the selling parts thing..... if i went into a part store and tried to buy a part off the shelves and they said i couldnt because i broke it, and that nobody knows how to fix it, and the parts dont exist... when you can see it on the shelves, i bet 99 out of 100 people would wanna punch the guy at the counter in the face.

6 minutes ago, aokman said:

"I remember watching his video the other day where one of his other techs was trying to extract data from a Macbook Pro Retina using the lifeboat connector which is Apple way of offloading SSD data from a faulty Macbook to a new on for a swap over. Since they don't have the lifeboat tool like Apple, they completely destroyed the connector trying to solder wires to it. The repair failed and now Apple cant fix it either because there is nothing left of the connector." They should have just sent the customer back to Apple rather than risking the customers data just because they are desperate for the fix fee.

I have speakers with voice coils that have lasted 58 years.

They still operate flawlessly.