Apple fans going into clauses about why Apple doesn't have to fix Linus' Mac Pro

5 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I have speakers with voice coils that have lasted 58 years.

They still operate flawlessly.

That is not the point, you do not permanently repair circuit traces using voice coil wire.

Just now, aokman said:

That is not the point, you do not permanently repair circuit traces using voice coil wire.

Why?

1 minute ago, aokman said:

-snippity-

I mean a citation from an independent, third-party (non-you) source that demonstrates each of these happening and why they are all problems. No offense, but you don't seem to be the most unbiased in this matter. Also, doing things like what you mentioned seems to be more of a series of last resort options and probably only done after providing disclaimers and all needed info to the consumer, and that is my default assumption since it's the one that makes the most sense and you didn't provide any evidence to the contrary. And I would certainly go for a fix from him rather than Apple if they refused to service my machine. If you don't think I should be going for these "substandard" options, why don't you support Apple improving their terms of service?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

56 minutes ago, mr moose said:

By revenue they are 9th, by market cap first and by profit 3rd.  But I generally try to keep it industry specific for clarity of comparison.  I should have qualified that.

fair enough

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, aokman said:

It is like running your car into a lamp post and expecting the manufacturer to fix it when it is not financially viable or considered a total write off.

There's this thing called "insurance" and "comprehensive" and "totaling". With full coverage (at least under my insurance) you're given the full value of the car at market value if the vehicle is totaled (my first car, BMW 301ic). Apple gives their "extended warranty" which nearly copies the original warranty except on length of time.

To say that this device is "not the same as a vehicle" is also not true as this is marketed towards professionals and professionals want their items fixed when they are damaged or unusable. It could be even more like a car when you consider that it helps complete your work (not by driving you to work physically, but by using servers to get your needed materials or programs). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

56 minutes ago, aokman said:

You are honestly telling me you would rather deal with someone using practices like this rather than just handing it to Apple and let them fit a new board. Louis just wants his fix fee and will go to extraordinary lengths to get it the deeper down the rabbit hole he goes.

They rarely replace their boards with "brand new" ones. There are several videos of his showing that Apple "repairs" were actually using second hand or refurbished boards that looked used and old. 

Courtesy to @Sauron.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

51 minutes ago, aokman said:

You do if that's your only option because apple won't sell you a replacement board. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, aokman said:

So you are replacing the PSU, Mainboard, PSU and screen. What else is left? 2 SSD's and a chassis. Not to mention individual parts always cost more than the sum of said parts regardless of manufacturer.

Actually they consist of a lot more than that (I'm guessing you've never opened up an AIO, but I've worked on tons), but you're acting like they have to buy the parts from a third party at retail cost. They're the damn computer manufacturer! They buy/make millions of parts. xD

You're also missing the entire point of this. They wanted to pay for repairs. Apple said they would. Then they returned with a "jk we don't have the parts that we use to build these machines". It doesn't make any sense. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Actually they consist of a lot more than that (I'm guessing you've never opened up an AIO, but I've worked on tons), but you're acting like they have to buy the parts from a third party at retail cost. They're the damn computer manufacturer! They buy/make millions of parts. xD

You're also missing the entire point of this. They wanted to pay for repairs. Apple said they would. Then they returned with a "jk we don't have the parts that we use to build these machines". It doesn't make any sense. 

At least they didn't put a Nissan Leaf's oil filter on an F150.

Spoiler

Will someone catch the mistake?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Doesn't MKBHD get review samples (at the very least he gets the iPhone before it launches)?

A lot of channels do. I don't recall Apple shipping review samples for the iMac Pro, however.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

54 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They rarely replace their boards with "brand new" ones. There are several videos of his showing that Apple "repairs" were actually using second hand or refurbished boards that looked used and old. 

Courtesy to @Sauron.

I really like this video, watched the entire thing.

I would burn my money before spending money like that on a company that can't even tell there apples apart..... especially since a lot of there stuff is so overpriced crap. 

7 hours ago, aokman said:

Linux already proved the hardware is not overpriced, in fact it is quite a bit cheaper. The hardware is repairable but it is not don't at an Apple store. Apple want to maintain control of their repair workflow to stop dodgy 3rd parties compromising repair quality. Louis is a perfect example of this.

i think you didn't see that video, Linus proved the opposite. Every apple pc ever sold was overpriced.

They do not have to repair @LinusTech he's iMac Pro.

But most other OEM's will.

They state the same anti-consumer crap in their terms but end up repairing anyhow.

ASUS fixed my laptop under warranty when they had no obligation to do so.

Why? Because that is how you create returning costumers.

I have to say when my MacBook Air 13" Early 2015 had a broken "Z" key upon delivery, Apple promptly took it back & gave me a new one with a case for the trouble.

So my experience with them has been sublime, in multiple cases.

Apple should fix their device if they want to keep their public imago somewhat decent,

but they have no legal obligation.

I wish they had, since even though I like some of their products, that does not excuse this Anti-Consumer BS.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Am I blind or deft or are people making some stuff up? 

Anyway Apple has no obligation to fix or repair a device that has void their Terms of Service, which In this instance Linus' (Own purchased) IMAC Pro fell under. But here is the thing Apple DIDN'T Refuse the Repair, they took it in held onto it then had to send it back to Linus as they couldn't get a hold of the parts, They referred him to a third party repair shop (apple authorised repair) but they couldn't do anything due to the lack of training in repairing them and if they did try the would have had a chance of losing the apple certification for repairs. 

In short The problem with Apple was they didn't create the proper channels for repairing a High end product of their own before launching it for sales, This is inevitably what happened to Linus, they had insufficient channels for repairing the device and no Linus is up the river without a paddle. On the other Hand if Linus read the terms of service he would have seen that what he done was liable to being refused for repair, Even though the device wasn't actually refused. 

In short both sides have some part in the blame, Linus for ignoring the Terms of service and technically Modifying the device which is acceptable to refusal of repair and Apple for not setting up sufficient repair channels to fix or replace I high end product like this when a problem does occur with it.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

14 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Am I blind or deft or are people making some stuff up? 

Anyway Apple has no obligation to fix or repair a device that has void their Terms of Service, which In this instance Linus' (Own purchased) IMAC Pro fell under. But here is the thing Apple DIDN'T Refuse the Repair, they took it in held onto it then had to send it back to Linus as they couldn't get a hold of the parts, They referred him to a third party repair shop (apple authorised repair) but they couldn't do anything due to the lack of training in repairing them and if they did try the would have had a chance of losing the apple certification for repairs. 

In short The problem with Apple was they didn't create the proper channels for repairing a High end product of their own before launching it for sales, This is inevitably what happened to Linus, they had insufficient channels for repairing the device and no Linus is up the river without a paddle. On the other Hand if Linus read the terms of service he would have seen that what he done was liable to being refused for repair, Even though the device wasn't actually refused. 

In short both sides have some part in the blame, Linus for ignoring the Terms of service and technically Modifying the device which is acceptable to refusal of repair and Apple for not setting up sufficient repair channels to fix or replace I high end product like this when a problem does occur with it.

I think you might have missed the core problem people have.

1. nearly everyone agrees it is not a legal issue. They understand there is no obligation to repair it.  The issue here is that not being able to repair it constitutes poor after sales service.  None of the computer manufacturers are obligated to carry out repairs that are not warranties, but they do anyway because it's good service.

2. If apple can't fix it due to not having parts then that means they can't repair under warranty either.  Also that is stretching the honesty bar a bit trying to claim they don't have parts/can't repair a product they make. Even Acer can do this and they are at he other end of the PC manufacturer spectrum.

3. Putting conditions in the ToS that excuses yourself from providing after sales service is just premeditated poor after sales service.

When was the last time you went to get something fixed and the bloke said he can't do it because the manufacturer won't organise parts?  Only with apple.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Still waiting for my budget ProBook 6470b to break from manufactoring errors they made. its not like ive murdured this thing by gaming on it (with an HDD and 4GB of ram while the game is pagefiling things to my HDD). Except it refuses to die. im shure HP would still be happy to repair it if something broke. then again i only spend like 500£ on it

Edit: it has survived longer than numerous macs in my house.

Alright I am going bold letters for this:

Apple did not refuse to repair the iMac Pro out of spite/ because Linus broke TOS. They did not repair it because they did not have the parts to repair it. If they had the parts, they would have gladly taken Linus's money to fix it (even though Linus broke Apple's TOS).

The real question is: How can they not have spare parts for a computer released so recently?

Answer: Maybe because Linus is in whoknowswhere in Canada and they did not have spare parts there. 

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

Alright I am going bold letters for this:

Apple did not refuse to repair the iMac Pro out of spite/ because Linus broke TOS. They did not repair it because they did not have the parts to repair it. If they had the parts, they would have gladly taken Linus's money to fix it (even though Linus broke Apple's TOS).

The real question is: How can they not have spare parts for a computer released so recently?

Answer: Maybe because Linus is in whoknowswhere in Canada and they did not have spare parts there. 

You really havent been following along have you? 

Edit: maybe go read through a lot of this.

I think them not being able to fix it is a lie, i think them not having the parts to fix it is a lie, i think them saying he can get it fixed elsewhere was a lie.

I havent seen one person argue that it should be covered under warranty or free to get it fixed. Just that its pretty wrong to make it impossible for someone to get their newly bought mac fixed.

2 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

You really havent been following along have you? 

Edit: maybe go read through a lot of this.

Its 8 pages o.O Whats the tldr?

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Its 8 pages o.O Whats the tldr?

Everyone agrees its out of warranty, not apples legal responsibility. Also they sent it off to get fixed and it shipped back right? 

I dont see how they would ship it somewhere to get it fixed, that the parts dont exist, nobody knows how to fix it, etc.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:32 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

Where are you getting a $15 computer from???????

eBay, Craigslist, Goodwill... Take your pick, it's not hard to come by dirt cheap used desktops that would still be considered usable.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

eBay, Craigslist, Goodwill... Take your pick, it's not hard to come by dirt cheap used desktops that would still be considered usable.

I'm really questioning what you define as usable....

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm really questioning what you define as usable....

Well considering the fact that Core 2 shit tends to hover around that price in anywhere with more than 5 people living there...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Well considering the fact that Core 2 shit tends to hover around that price in anywhere with more than 5 people living there...

And you consider core 2 usable in this day and age?