BMW Offices in Munich Raided by Authorities in search of Diesel Emissions Cheating

AlTech

BMW's Munich offices have been raided by authorities in search of Diesel Emissions Cheating.

It is suspected that most car manufacturers in Europe conduct emission cheating to some extent using Defeat Devices.

To many, finding out that Volkswagen had been cheating at emissions tests came as quite a shock. Others viewed the event with some indifference; a cynical take might be that every OEM would do the same thing given half the chance. Well, score one for cynicism.

On Tuesday, BMW's offices in Munich—the iconic four-cylinder building you might remember from Rollerball—and an engine factory in Austria were raided by the authorities in connection with suspected fraud related to exhaust emissions.

At question are two diesel-powered models, neither of which is sold in the US: the BMW 750xd and M550xd. According to an official statement from Munich's attorney general, prosecutors believe that those two models have been fitted with an illegal emissions-testing defeat device.

These devices monitor various input from the vehicle and can discriminate between regular driving and conditions that would occur during emissions testing. If the vehicle believes it's being tested, engine performance can be altered with compliant maps that allow it to pass the test while actually emitting far more pollution during regular use.

In this case specifically, they believe 2 of BMW's cars may be using defeat devices.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear or in case you don't know. Defeat devices are software/code in a Car's Real Time Operating System which detect when the car is being tested for emissions and alters the parameters of the engine etc to appear more green/environmentally friendly than it is. Modern cars (1980s + ) are controlled by computers built into the car. When you hit the gas pedal, you're telling the car's computer to make the engine work harder and accelerate.

This isn't the first time it's happened and it probably won't be the last.

This isn't the first police raid of BMW's HQ in recent months; in October last year it was searched in relation to price-fixing between German automakers. And it's not the only car company to be raided by European police looking for evidence of emissions fraud, only the most recent.

In January 2016, Renault was raided. In April 2016, it was PSA Peugeot Citroen's turn. Then in May 2017, Mercedes-Benz's parent company, Daimler, got a visit from the law. Even more recently, Daimler was accused of having defeat device software running on diesel vehicles that turned off compliance measures after 16 miles (26km) of driving.

So yeah, emissions cheating is BS and really, diesel vehicles should be banned. We really badly need more inexpensive and good quality electric cars.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/bmws-offices-raided-by-munich-police-in-search-of-diesel-cheating/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

????

4 cilindros y museo BMW, Múnich, Alemania 2012-04-28, DD 02.JPG

It was in this movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollerball_(1975_film)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

diesel vehicles should be banned.

I was with you until here. Why the heck should this be done? Aren't modern diesel vehicles cleaner than equivalent gas vehicles, and get better fuel economy? Or am I misinformed? 

And what fuel would you suggest high-load vehicles such as tractor trailers use?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

I was with you until here. Why the heck should this be done? Aren't modern diesel vehicles cleaner than equivalent gas vehicles, and get better fuel economy? Or am I misinformed? 

The reality is that outside of Diesel Emission tests, in the real world Gas vehicles are wayyyy cleaner than diesel.

Diesel cars are killing thousands of people every year due to the highly toxic Nitrogen Dioxide they produce.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Modern diesels are far and away cleaner than gasoline engines can ever be, per unit of fuel consumed. And since diesel engines generate much more power per unit of fuel, diesel engines, by extension pollute less per unit of fuel burned.

However, some diesel engines are very, very large.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The reality is that outside of Diesel Emission tests, in the real world Gas vehicles are wayyyy cleaner than diesel.

Diesel cars are killing thousands of people every year due to the highly toxic Nitrogen Dioxide they produce.

Do you have a link to a source for that? Are you alluding to the Volkswagen emissions scandal or are you saying that this is more widespread? And does what you're saying apply to vehicles equipped with a urea/ammonia treatment system? 

Also more on-topic, did the authorities actually say that BMW was cheating on emissions tests, or just that it was suspected?

4 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Modern diesels are far and away cleaner than gasoline engines can ever be, per unit of fuel consumed. And since diesel engines generate much more power per unit of fuel, diesel engines, by extension pollute less per unit of fuel burned.

Do you have a link to a source for that?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I'm not surprised, Fiat Chrysler is also in some hot water with the Department of Justice.

http://driving.ca/chrysler/auto-news/news/chrysler-must-recall-trucks-to-avoid-emissions-lawsuit

Ford is in the mix. Though these are just allegations from customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-10/ford-sued-by-truck-owners-claiming-diesel-engines-were-rigged

Chevy, Volvo, Nissan, Renault, Mercedes, Citroen, Hyundai, they'll all in the mix as well. Can't confirm legitimacy as most news outlets only focused on VW as they were the first to fall and the largest automotive group in the mix.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

However, some diesel engines are very, very large.

Diesel engines only make sense in trucks that need the torque to move high loads, modern efficient gas engines are much cleaner than diesel engines used in cars.

Are you alluding to the Volkswagen emissions scandal or are you saying that this is more widespread?

This is probably more widespread although I was alluding to the VW scandal.

Also more on-topic, did the authorities actually say that BMW was cheating on emissions tests, or just that it was suspected?

It is suspected but they're gathering proof of it.

We went shopping for a BMW a month ago. The BMW 5 has about 100 units (forgot the units honestly) of pollution for the diesel variant, while the gas variant has 125ish.

Yes the gas variant pollutes less PER LITRE, but the diesel variant runs on 3,4 litres per 100km. Which is almost 2 litres less than the gas one.

So basically, i don't understand the hate for diesel. Yes it does pollute more, if you ignore how much less it uses. After all, why would we care about pollution per litre, if all that matters is the total pollution in reality? :-/

56 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No, that's bullshit, sorry. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, emissions cheating is BS and really, diesel vehicles should be banned. 

NOx levels in last decade or so have ridiculously reduced and the fuel is much cleaner now. Then again, you could argue that diesel gets better mileage, needs less refilling and produces less CO2 which, you know, global warming and all. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There is two kind of pollution.

That kind of pollution that make global warming worse.

Petrol have more of that kind of pollution.

And that kind of pollution that is bad to physically breathe in for humans.

Diesel have much more of that kind of pollution.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, Mihle said:

There is two kind of pollution.

That kind of pollution that make global warming worse.

Petrol have more of that kind of pollution.

And that kind of pollution that is bad to physically breathe in for humans.

Diesel have much more of that kind of pollution.

And what's worse in my opinion, depend on where you live. Diesel pollution is really bad in cities, but out in nowhere where Boone lives it doesnt matter that much.

There is a reason why only diesel card have gotten banned in some Norwegian cities on really windstill (and cold I think?) Days.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

, diesel vehicles should be banned. We really badly need more inexpensive and good quality electric cars.

I have to deeply disagree with you as somebody that studies engineering with courses on engines and general car design.

General banning is a very short sighted approach because IF you would use the latest state of the art parts on an engine, emissions can be really really low, both gasoline or diesel. Gasoline engines tended to have lower emissions than diesel before the gasoline engines introduced direct injection, this introduced higher particle emissions because the air fuel mixture is created in the cylinder and therefore tends to be not that homogenous as non direct injected engines. But, as already stated, you can get them both very very clean. 

Developments like Mazdas SkyaktivX look very promising, and probably there is a potential in alternativ fuels, but there has to be a lot more research on both still.

Why did I not think electric cars are not the way to go now? I think they are at least not the way to go in their current state. 

1.) They need lots and lots of lithium, copper and other rare materials or materials that create huge pollution and health risks when mined for those who mine them.

2.) Our power grids are really not developed for a huge amount of electric cars. Imagine you have a city with 1 Million cars at least, probably 10% will load at the same time. The power draw will be immense even when spread, and we need a solution for that very fast. Especially in the evening hours there will be a large spike that can cause huge problems if not attacked early.

3.) Range and loading times are BAD. Reality is: not everybody has a supercharger at home or around and even if, see point 2.). Especially when travelling long routes and when many people already have electric cars, imagine how huge the recharge station have to be cause there would be piling a number of vehiclr because loading times.

I think we need to think outside the box to get a solution. The future is neither the gasoline or diesel engine powered with gas from the ground nor the battery eldctric vehicle in its current state, but TODAY there's no way around gasoline and diesel engines for long range and BEV tend to be a good solution for the people who just have to get around town and travel short distances.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Diesel is better than petrol. Less carbon emissions that contribute to global warming. Costs less to produce, yet moves greater loads and over longer distance per litre.

If diesel costs more than petrol where you live, you are getting ultra-low sulfur grade of fuel which costs more for additional refining, or due to higher taxes on diesel, or both. Yet margins on diesel are still higher...

Diesel have more emissions of those that is really bad for humans to breathe in. 

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, huilun02 said:

Which is also a good thing (for everything that isn't human)

It's really really bad for humans living in cities on wind still days especially. Really bad.

Diesel shouldnt be used in cities, but out where Boone lives who cares.

-Stephen Hawking

This is nonsense. What actually happened:

In the wake of the VW scandal, BMW updated some of its car's firmware to even more reduce emissions, which were never over the limit to begin with (trust me, since the VW thing, numerous instances have closely inspected BMW engines and never found ANYTHING). Unfortunately, some workshop employees installed the wrong firmware on 11 700 vehicles (so, not a lot), leading them to behave in a way that could result in increased emissions. This was an accident!

Very important: This was found by BMW themselves and then immediately communicated to the authorities. Of course, this raid is bad press now, and with the OP for some reason hating on diesel engines, a topic needed to be created in the LTT forum 9_9

Source (in German, deal with it): http://www.bimmertoday.de/2018/03/20/razzia-bei-bmw-diesel-software-im-fokus-der-staatsanwaltschaft/

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

26 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

This is nonsense. What actually happened:

In the wake of the VW scandal, BMW updated some of its car's firmware to even more reduce emissions, which were never over the limit to begin with (trust me, since the VW thing, numerous instances have closely inspected BMW engines and never found ANYTHING). Unfortunately, some workshop employees installed the wrong firmware on 11 700 vehicles (so, not a lot), leading them to behave in a way that could result in increased emissions. This was an accident!

BMW "accidentally" installing firmware on over 11,000 cars? Maybe on 100 but on that many it's hardly an excusable accident.   Wrong software should have been found on the next service although software emissions have been a problem since cars have become computers on wheels that the owner can't really repair themselves either.

Why? Like why is it so hard to not cheat? The money it woulda cost em to make a cleaner would be nothign to if they get these fines

you should all watch Netflix documentary "dirty money"

Anyone of us exhale CO2, the problem of CO2 is it's excess but there are far worst pollutants coming out of a car in smaller quantities, and Diesel beats any other type of fuel. 

18 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

BMW "accidentally" installing firmware on over 11,000 cars? Maybe on 100 but on that many it's hardly an excusable accident.   Wrong software should have been found on the next service although software emissions have been a problem since cars have become computers on wheels that the owner can't really repair themselves either.

You say "on over 11,000" cars like that is a lot. It is not. BMW alone makes over 2,000,000 cars every year. Stop scandalising please.

If you want more details: The engine in question (N57) has multiple variants, which require different firmwares. The N57D30S1 variant, used on 7 series and 5 series cars and not in production any more, does not feature an AdBlue system, which caused it to emit higher than normal amounts of NOx, since the applied firmware assumed that there was an AdBlue system present.

And could you elaborate on what you mean with "should have been found on the next service"? The time that this problem has existed for is way shorter than the normal time between services.

15 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

Why? Like why is it so hard to not cheat? The money it woulda cost em to make a cleaner would be nothign to if they get these fines

Ask Volkswagen (and their brands, Audi and Porsche). They have been cheating, the others have not.

15 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

Unless the standards are so strict that it's not possible to make a vehicle that can meet them, whilst being a vehicle that someone still wishes to drive.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

No, that's bullshit, sorry. 

Which part?