Youtube kicking off Gun Channels, oppurtunity for Floatplane?

Message added by SansVarnic

Currently Locked For Moderation

-= Thread Cleaned =-

If you plan to contribute, contribute to the topic at hand. Arguing and derailing the thread is not allowed per the CS.

This discussion is about YouTube and their practices Not about Politics, Poltics about Guns, Guns, Gun Violence, How to make/sell/acquire weapons, or Saluting.

Please adhere to this or the topic will be locked and warnings issued.

-= Thread Locked =-

Despite the thread cleansing and Posted warning, arguments continue. 

Apparently this is just to controversial of a topic to discuss civilly.

We understand that this topic is of necessary discussion but I believe at this time this topic needs some cool down time before re-engaging in the discussion.

I don't see the problem here? It's prohibiting how to do things that are illegal or will help enable someone to engage in a mass murder... You can still show off and even shoot guns in your videos.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, jtmoseley said:

except he isn't making anything himself nor is he trying to sell firearms

I second this. Out of the "gun" channels out there Matt should be ok going forward and almost all of his videos are not directly asking people to buy guns and he never shows how to modify or fix/work on them. Will see how heavy handed Youtube/Google is with this. They did say "Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. " which would mean as long as you are not trying to sell it like being a dealer or private seller OR don't put links to where to buy the guns or Hi-Cap / Bump-Fire accessories. 

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

That ones a little vague: Is inserting a 30 round PMAG into an AR-15 considered "installing a high capacity magazine"?

depends on what you consider "High Capacity". 30-rounds is the standard capacity for MOST magazine fed rifles that use that cartridge size.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, SpDmnAdam said:

I second this. Out of the "gun" channels out there Matt should be ok going forward and almost all of his videos are not directly asking people to buy guns and he never shows how to modify or fix/work on them. Will see how heavy handed Youtube/Google is with this. They did say "Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. " which would mean as long as you are not trying to sell it like being a dealer or private seller OR don't put links to where to buy the guns or Hi-Cap / Bump-Fire accessories. 

They also say that it cannot show the installation of such devices, which begs the question: How heavy handed are they going to be? Is inserting a P Mag into an AR-15 considered "installing a high capacity magazine"?

. @knightslugger All the law that's been introduced says 20 rounds or above.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That ones a little vague: Is inserting a 30 round PMAG into an AR-15 considered "installing a high capacity magazine"?

Good question. I would say no as long as you are not showing in an instructional manner no more than watching someone open a door is different than instructing them how to. Even if the task can be fairly simple. This seems like a bit of an edge case and is more aimed at modifying the gun with accessories to make it fire faster etc.. will see. 

Thats pathetic. Im pretty sure some guy with a gun on camera wont make you want to shoot up a school

And if you wanted to learn, just search it up in google. 

Pissing off thousands of viewers and content creators just so their ceo feels good

Found a ok article about what this means. Take it for what it's worth. I do not pretend to agree or disagree with the opinions in said article. 

The Hill "YouTube introduces stricter policies on gun videos"

20 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

I don't see the problem here? It's prohibiting how to do things that are illegal or will help enable someone to engage in a mass murder... You can still show off and even shoot guns in your videos.

Not everything in this is even remotely illegal, nor advantageous in the real world.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

24 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

probably wise to just do that off camera or just cut out that part

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I think it's shitty that people don't understand the difference between a companies right to allow/disallow content that furthers their personal agenda and whether that content has any impact or not.  The former is not up for debate as it is black and white within their legal rights.  The later is just personal opinion and your personal opinion doesn't change their rights.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So youtube just doesn't want people selling guns using their platform. I'm guessing some executive thought oh what if the parkland shooter bought a gun after watching a YouTube video selling it and then the news reported that's where he got the gun it would be a pr nightmare

2 hours ago, Matu20 said:

Now this is one actual legit reasons I can see videos being viable, thank you.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but YouTube videos can be quite educational for new gun owners.  I learned how to properly disassemble and clean most of my firearms from YouTube videos, and other videos show how to safely operate firearms and teach new shooters shooting etiquette, etc.  Now YouTube hasn't banned either of these things under the new terms, but I am wondering how long until that content is also against TOS.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

i'm on the side of youtube, good move.  I don't get this love of guns, then again in the schools in my country kids don't get shoot. 

PS: YT is not serving only Americans but the all world, 99% will be applauding this.

As a non-American who most likely will never watch any of the affected channels / videos, I don't applaud this either: I'm largely indifferent to it. 

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

God damnit youtube, I quite enjoyed DemoRanch and HickOk45. Hopefully they're maybe excluded? They don't show how to manufacture shit really. I'd imagine the use of a firearm at a range is different.

I wonder if mythbusters videos would get flagged? 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I wonder if mythbusters videos would get flagged? 

I can't recall any Mythbusters videos that showed them manufacturing guns, nor modifying guns to perform stuff like automatic fire.

Pretty much any guns in a Mythbusters video were simply tools used as legally able, to shoot targets of various description.

It entirely depends on how far YouTube goes with it. They might get flagged accidentally, but should be able to successfully counterclaim, as per the written policy as it stands.

I think we're going to see a huge increase of accidental gun related flags by the YT algorithm at first, as YouTube tweaks it. This should hopefully settle down, and hopefully legit YT gun channels will be able to counterclaim any flags.

Honestly, I would prefer YT not to do this, but on the other hand, this isn't "real" censorship, since YT is a private business and able to block content as they deem necessary. Furthermore, I definitely feel like YT is doing this preemptively because of the changing tide when it comes to guns in America.

They want to avoid lawsuits and huge public backlash.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I can't recall any Mythbusters videos that showed them manufacturing guns, nor modifying guns to perform stuff like automatic fire.

Pretty much any guns in a Mythbusters video were simply tools used as legally able, to shoot targets of various description.

It entirely depends on how far YouTube goes with it. They might get flagged accidentally, but should be able to successfully counterclaim, as per the written policy as it stands.

I think we're going to see a huge increase of accidental gun related flags by the YT algorithm at first, as YouTube tweaks it. This should hopefully settle down, and hopefully legit YT gun channels will be able to counterclaim any flags.

Honestly, I would prefer YT not to do this, but on the other hand, this isn't "real" censorship, since YT is a private business and able to block content as they deem necessary. Furthermore, I definitely feel like YT is doing this preemptively because of the changing tide when it comes to guns in America.

They want to avoid lawsuits and huge public backlash.

well the least they could do is fight for the first amendment...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Sucks for those channels but youtube can do whatever they want with their platform. I'll keep using adblock and feel better about it. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you need safety lessons from youtube on gun safety you shouldn't be buying a gun.

Lol wat. “If you need computer building lessons from YouTube, you shouldn’t be buying computer parts”

Legal, prescription drugs hurt or kill many people every year. Maybe we should ban pharmaceutical commercials. 

18 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Same argument made by people blaming violent video games.

Yes, but YT can ditch the firearms videos without affecting revenue, so have decided to play it safe from a PR point of view. The makers of violent video games would have to ditch existing franchises, costing them a lot, possibly costing the company it's survival. The consumers of violent video games won't be dissuaded from purchasing them as they are people who buy violent video games, we know what we are getting and we know the argument is nonsense. YouTube is used by pretty much everyone with an internet connection, some parents would stop their teenage children from watch YT, some people would boycott the platform.

So in short YT has nothing to gain from hosting these videos, but potentially a lot to lose. Whereas game devs often make their living from violent games, but have little to lose in the event of being blamed for a mass shooting. So while both could have the same accusation made against them, they won't necessarily respond in the same way.

A concerning side note on this... how far is too far to go with censorship? If YouTube has joined the political agenda to be anti-gun, then at what point does their censorship on other topics go too far? Could they ban all videos from a political group to influence an election? Could they ban all videos of a car maker to drive sales elsewhere? I mean, if YouTube is banning things that are dangerous to society then why not ban Flat Earth videos? I would argue that the continued willful ignorance and the spreading of such is far more dangerous to society as a whole than some good old boys installing a red dot sight on their AK-47.

Banning videos for gun enthusiasts is like picking a side in any other hot debate. Could you imagine the backlash if they picked a side on the abortion debate? Or banned religious content from a certain religion?

I realize that the platform belongs to them, but you can't market yourself as a public forum if you silence or ostracize part of the debate. 

1 minute ago, Zippy Zion said:

but you can't market yourself as a public forum if you silence or ostracize part of the debate. 

They sure as heck are gonna try to though.  Although that being said, they haven't pulled videos from people discussing being pro second amendment or pro gun or anything like that.   They almost torpedoed military arms channel but he's back up after disputing it with YT.  My only fear is they will continue to show gun channels the door because they don't like the content on their platform (though apparently videoing and laughing at a body you found hanging in a tree is only yields a temporary ad suspension).

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Floatplane is not ready yet AFAIK but they already said that they won't discriminate based on content.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-= Thread Cleaned =-

If you plan to contribute, contribute to the topic at hand. Arguing and derailing the thread is not allowed per the CS.

This discussion is about YouTube and their practices Not about Politics, Poltics about Guns, Guns, Gun Violence, How to make/sell/acquire weapons, or Saluting.

Please adhere to this or the topic will be locked and warnings issued.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

Lol wat. “If you need computer building lessons from YouTube, you shouldn’t be buying computer parts”

You think building a computer carries the same inherent risk as owning/using a gun?   Come on,  even the NRA are more active in promoting proper gun safety education.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.