Youtube kicking off Gun Channels, oppurtunity for Floatplane?

Message added by SansVarnic

Currently Locked For Moderation

-= Thread Cleaned =-

If you plan to contribute, contribute to the topic at hand. Arguing and derailing the thread is not allowed per the CS.

This discussion is about YouTube and their practices Not about Politics, Poltics about Guns, Guns, Gun Violence, How to make/sell/acquire weapons, or Saluting.

Please adhere to this or the topic will be locked and warnings issued.

-= Thread Locked =-

Despite the thread cleansing and Posted warning, arguments continue. 

Apparently this is just to controversial of a topic to discuss civilly.

We understand that this topic is of necessary discussion but I believe at this time this topic needs some cool down time before re-engaging in the discussion.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You think building a computer carries the same inherent risk as owning/using a gun?   Come on,  even the NRA are more active in promoting proper gun safety education.

So “inherent risk” affects where/what platform one should learn?

Just now, beavo451 said:

So “inherent risk” affects where/what platform one should learn?

Absolutely,  why wouldn't it be?   Would you prefer the man who welded up that 30 tonne stadium roof was qualified through a sanctioned program or that he learnt from welderboy2000?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Absolutely,  why wouldn't it be?   Would you prefer the man who welded up that 30 tonne stadium roof was qualified through a sanctioned program or that he learnt from welderboy2000?

Plenty of hobbyists learn welding from YouTube. Your analogy with professional welders would be more akin to having SWAT cops learn from YouTube. 

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I built a rifle using a manual that had three pictures...

A video would be one hell of an upgrade.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, beavo451 said:

Plenty of hobbyists learn welding from YouTube. Your analogy with professional welders would be more akin to having SWAT cops learn from YouTube. 

Plenty of hobbyists aren't allowed to weld public structures (and for very good reason).   You do realise there is as much bad information on youtube as there is good right? You do realise that people starting out have no frame of reference to determine which is good information and which isn't?   Just becasue it is a wealth of information does not make it a good source for everything.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, Drak3 said:

I built a rifle using a manual that had three pictures...

A video would be one hell of an upgrade.

And? 

Just now, mr moose said:

Plenty of hobbyists aren't allowed to weld public structures (and for very good reason).   You do realise there is as much bad information on youtube as there is good right? You do realise that people starting out have no frame of reference to determine which is good information and which isn't?   Just becasue it is a wealth of information does not make it a good source for everything.

well they don't become master electricians either, but reviewing material master electricians provide sure do make the job just a BIT more safe... and maybe... they'll want to pursue a career in it once testing the water!

I mean, this is literally YouTube giving the middle finger to the first amendment and everything it stands for.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

well they don't become master electricians either, but reviewing material master electricians provide sure do make the job just a BIT more safe... and maybe... they'll want to pursue a career in it once testing the water!

I mean, this is literally YouTube giving the middle finger to the first amendment and everything it stands for.

It's a private company, the first amendment doesn't apply.    But the same thing applies to people playing with 240V because they learnt on youtube. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And? 

Learning from a video demonstration is far more than adequate.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

It's a private company, the first amendment doesn't apply.    But the same thing applies to people playing with 240V because they learnt on youtube. 

i didn't say they couldn't do what they wanted... rather, if they really believed in the first amendment, they wouldn't be doing this.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

if they really believed in the first amendment,

Here's the thing: they don't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Guess that's goodbye to Demolition Ranch then :( 

too bad, he seems like a really nice person

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

politically correct tube

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

So... Get FloatPlane, a company owned, operated, and fully registered in Canada, a country that has much more restrictive gun laws than the United States, should getting involved in hosting firearms marketing and modification content, much of which would likely violate Canadian firearms laws... Yeah, I can't see a single thing going wrong there.  Doesn't seem potentially legally sticky at all.  Seems like a safe thing to jump RIGHT into.  Sound buisness decision for sure.

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Good thing Matt has already established a community on Twitch, maybe he'll attempt to do IRL streams.

I thought Matt quit Twitch because he didn't have time with all the Youtube channels he has, i'm glad he's doing Twitch again it's a nice just in case thing that he could be really successful with if Youtube starts demonetizing or banning people.

56 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

i didn't say they couldn't do what they wanted... rather, if they really believed in the first amendment, they wouldn't be doing this.

Youtube isn't even consistent with their own rules, unless it offends enough people they're happier making tons of money of a channel. Youtube is overstepping all over, for example they tried to ban Cody'sLab for making some mining videos and for some reason most of TechDeal's videos get demonetized.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not everything in this is even remotely illegal, nor advantageous in the real world.

I suppose you didn't notice how I didn't specifically say that everything mentioned was illegal NOR did I say that things were advantageous (I don't even use that word AT ALL, nor do I imply it). Not sure what I say would result in you responding that way.

And besides, Youtube is within its rights to choose what can and cannot be shown on their website. Like I said, you can still shoot guns and show them off. It's really boggling my mind why people think this is such a big deal...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I disagree.

Learning can come in many forms. The content of what is being learned is more important than who is the teacher.

So long as the lessons carry valuable information and are correct, and contain the appropriate safety information I see no issues with someone learning how to work on a firearm by watching Youtube.

5 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

I suppose you didn't notice how I didn't specifically say that everything mentioned was illegal NOR did I say that things were advantageous (I don't even use that word AT ALL, nor do I imply it). Not sure what I say would result in you responding that way.

And besides, Youtube is within its rights to choose what can and cannot be shown on their website. Like I said, you can still shoot guns and show them off. It's really boggling my mind why people think this is such a big deal...

I disagree, based on the premise that Youtube is basically a monopoly and could be considered the internet equivalent of a public square. I absolutely believe they should have to abide by the first amendment.

Along with the likes of Twitter and Facebook. They are extremely popular and operate in ways that could be compared accurately to "public space".

As the law stands, they do not have to. However, I believe this needs to change in order to prevent them from abusing the power they have by being almost monopolies.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

I don't see the problem here? It's prohibiting how to do things that are illegal

Many of those things aren't inherently illegal.  No matter what the media says, bump stocks and suppressors aren't illegal in most of America.

4 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

or will help enable someone to engage in a mass murder

None of this makes any difference to a psycho who wants to kill many people.  They'll always find a way.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Honestly, I would prefer YT not to do this, but on the other hand, this isn't "real" censorship, since YT is a private business and able to block content as they deem necessary.

Actually, it is real censorship, they're just legally allowed to do so because it's their platform.  And while I find it despicable pandering to the left, I'll still stand up for their right to do so.  As you said, YT is a private business.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Furthermore, I definitely feel like YT is doing this preemptively because of the changing tide when it comes to guns in America.

Don't buy into the narrative, the vast majority of Americans don't support these "feel good" legislations that will have zero impact on criminals.  I won't say any more than that, so as not to incur the wrath of the mods.

10 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

REGULATED MILITIA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zE0K22zH8

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

And plenty of hobbyist gun owners aren't allowed to be SWAT officers.

Just because you go to a "school", pay for an "education", or have a "certification" doesn't mean that you have good information.

It is up to each person to determine the validity of the information that they receive and choose how to use it.

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I disagree.

Learning can come in many forms. The content of what is being learned is more important than who is the teacher.

So long as the lessons carry valuable information and are correct, and contain the appropriate safety information I see no issues with someone learning how to work on a firearm by watching Youtube.

@mr moose, I have to concur with Trik'Stari here.  While I've talked to and dealt with several people in my life who've given me information on guns several times, I don't have time to get ahold of them every time I have a question.  YT serves an important role in giving me crucial bits of information I hadn't considered before, or helping me correct errors in my techniques that I didn't realize I was doing wrong.

Just because there can be bad information on YT, is no reason to dismiss all information there.  That's throwing the baby out with the bath water.  The trick is not to rely on any one source, and cross-check multiple channels.

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

@mr moose, I have to concur with Trik'Stari here.  While I've talked to and dealt with several people in my life who've given me information on guns several times, I don't have time to get ahold of them every time I have a question.  YT serves an important role in giving me crucial bits of information I hadn't considered before, or helping me correct errors in my techniques that I didn't realize I was doing wrong.

Just because there can be bad information on YT, is no reason to dismiss all information there.  That's throwing the baby out with the bath water.  The trick is not to rely on any one source, and cross-check multiple channels.

The bigger issue is teaching people in general to never stop learning or questioning.

Don't ever stop at just one source of information. One youtube video might tell you that an FN Five-Seven is the ultimate SHTF weapon because it has a LOT of stopping power, capacity, and accuracy, in a small, light-weight package.

While another video would tell you "that's all well and good, but it's a very expensive gun, the high-performance ammunition is all very well regulated (for Law enforcement and military only), and civilian available ammunition is hard to find and very expensive, making the gun a terrible choice for a SHTF scenario".

Just an example. Always verify and do further research, never stop learning. Regardless of subject.

And for the love of all that is sane, please everyone follow the cardinal rules of gun safety. I'm lucky enough to have had them save me from a very bad thing. I made the mistake of not following one of them, and one of the others ensured that the only thing damaged was my hearing, a pair of pants, and a wall. Also my pride to a certain extent.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

One youtube video might tell you that an FN Five-Seven is the ultimate SHTF weapon because it has a LOT of stopping power, capacity, and accuracy, in a small, light-weight package.

While another video would tell you "that's all well and good, but it's a very expensive gun, the high-performance ammunition is all very well regulated (for Law enforcement and military only), and civilian available ammunition is hard to find and very expensive, making the gun a terrible choice for a SHTF scenario".

Found a huge red flag with the first youtube video.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Found a huge red flag with the first youtube video.

Please continue this with me in the Off Topic section guns and archery thread.

16 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Many of those things aren't inherently illegal.  No matter what the media says, bump stocks and suppressors aren't illegal in most of America.

More importantly, any legislation that bans bump stocks except solely by name almost certainly bans rubber bands as well. At least all the proposed legislation I've seen has. Not to mention the Parkland shooter used 10 rd mags. The ban against high capacity magazines makes no sense to prevent mass murders since the mass murderer will just use more magazines without a care in the world.  Reloading takes less than 3 seconds, less than a second if you practice enough.

A comparable example would be banning cooking channels that use the tablespoon to measure with. It doesn't take that much longer to use a teaspooen to get to the same amount.