Most Graphics Cards have just become (kind of) Obsolete thanks to Direct X 12 Ray Tracing Extension and Nvidia RTX with GameWorks 2.0

AlTech

And another Clickbait Title from @AluminiumTech lel.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

5 hours ago, Nicnac said:

maybe that is the reason for the delay in new cards from nvidia? (aside from maximising profit on the mining craze...)

Sounds like cool tech to improve gaming, has all that progress with shaders been for nothing now? Is ray tracing going to be the new standart? It certainly sounds like it could, just a shame that nvidia is trying to lure everyone into their exclusive developers "club" with game works...

I think the real ability would be mixing the render tech. While the rendering is wonderful, I don't know if it is worth it at 30fps or with stutter. 60fps? Yep, give it to me! :D

The tech demos I just saw (did not on my last post), are rather nice. Only slightly more than current "tricks" in raster tech can do though. So a mix, nice raster + real DOF/ambient lighting would work IMO without needing a full raytraced scene.

I am not sure, but I swear I could see the "photons" too, which would be the new texture resolution of the tech. When low on power/low settings, you get lots of blurred dots, which are the virtual photons. higher photon resolution, and it gets crisper.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think we'll be getting more information on AMDs solution tomorrow...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12552/amd-announces-real-time-ray-tracing-for-prorender-and-radeon-gpu-profiler-12

Although there are some additional details on AMDs solution on GPUOpen:

https://gpuopen.com/announcing-real-time-ray-tracing/

On a side note, I do wonder if nVidia trademarked RTX already or if they are infringing on Rooster Teeth studios RTX designation for their expos...

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

*spent their entire life savings on a all new GTX 2080 featuring RTX and DXR*

*Takes pics and brags online*

*Random poster, post news: Nvidia and Microsoft making a update to their RTX and DXR, called RTX+ and DXR+, all current hardware are not supported. New gpu coming out soon in 2 months!*

*Looks at their ex-brand new GTX 2080, Sheeeeiiittttt.....*

Still better than the smartphone market...

-APPUNG: our phone has 1 MeGaPiXeL MoRe THAN COMPETITION AND OUR LAST GEN PHONE

-CROWD: TAKE MAH MONEYY

9_9

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You're forgetting how lazy devs can be.

That was my first thought, if this is something devs have to implement then we're going to be waiting a while before more than a handful of games use it.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

18 minutes ago, Daegun said:

That was my first thought, if this is something devs have to implement then we're going to be waiting a while before more than a handful of games use it.

It will definitely be several years, by which point GPU should have progressed to the point that even ray tracing via direct compute should be viable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

guess i can sell my 1070 now for more than i payed for it and wait untill next gen xD

Might do the same with my 1080ti.

Just chillax with my 970 Strix until the new ones come out.

Also, obligatory:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

this tech demo reminds me a lot of the radeon 9700 from 2002

balls_rnl1.jpg

y'all need some open source?

RIP! already posted in OP xD

17 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

reality: there are no Games, engines or GPUs that use this tech and will be years before it becomes the standard.

More importantly, it will be at least 5 years, and probably closer to 8 before a console uses it to any great effect, which means that it's just going to be a PC resource hog that looks cool for the people to blow their money on.

Except no games support it yet. So, "Obsolete". Scoffs

Just something for the next gen cards to support.

Cards that don't support DX12 in the first place still hold up decently.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 hours ago, Taja said:

I hate that benchmarks on EVERY reviewer only uses the "ultra" preset. And I do agree that this is to control the bottlenecks and etc, but in reality there are lots of stupid shit that kills performance and is almost useless.

You may be interested in Tech Deals' reviews.

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

More importantly, it will be at least 5 years, and probably closer to 8 before a console uses it to any great effect, which means that it's just going to be a PC resource hog that looks cool for the people to blow their money on.

I completely agree but I'm still going to buy the best GPU possible when I get round to upgrading, or two, and turn all that shit on cos "ooo pretty" :).

Is getting your panties in a bunch over the title the latest hip trend on LTT?

OP change it back and make their eyes twitch every time they see it.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Unless they can't run anything they're not obsolete. Edit that title man. 

Incorrect. Look up the definition of “obsolete” not what u think it means...

The definition doesnt mean the product doesnt work, it means theres a new generation. Linus and Luke used word obsolete when they talked about phones and we know phones still work years later ?

So as soon as volta is out the pascal is indeed obsolete, until then its fine.

So both u and the title (volta isnt out yet nor this new RTX) are wrong.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

The definition doesnt mean the product doesnt work, it means theres a new generation. Linus and Luke used word obsolete when they talked about phones and we know phones still work years later ?

I will admit, I stand corrected. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Thony said:

The Volta architecture is. It's available in Titan V and also the Tesla V100.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I think the real ability would be mixing the render tech. While the rendering is wonderful, I don't know if it is worth it at 30fps or with stutter. 60fps? Yep, give it to me! :D

The tech demos I just saw (did not on my last post), are rather nice. Only slightly more than current "tricks" in raster tech can do though. So a mix, nice raster + real DOF/ambient lighting would work IMO without needing a full raytraced scene.

I am not sure, but I swear I could see the "photons" too, which would be the new texture resolution of the tech. When low on power/low settings, you get lots of blurred dots, which are the virtual photons. higher photon resolution, and it gets crisper.

Isn't it the way amd was going to do it? Rasterization for most of the frame and ray tracing for finer effects, something like this.

Edit: I checked and it does indeed that.

What troubles me the most is that we're going to see Nvidias implementation in game crush and because... well... proprietary, while amd's is open source and is meant to run well under the OpenCL mantra of making it open to Nvidia and Intel Gpu as well. Which means it is better for everyone since everyone works with equal amount of information to design hardware, and why well just get screwed over once again.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The Volta architecture is. It's available in Titan V and also the Tesla V100.

Architecture yes, replacement for Pascal generation of GPU is NOT. U cant tell someone with GTX 1070 to replace it with Tesla or Titan, thats an upgrade and not generational replacement.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

More BS, these companies are pushing standards and tech faster than their hardware evolves.

They did it with VR then 4K now with Ray tracing real time, not gonna happen, real time ray tracing is 2030 and beyond asuming they can go lower than 7/5nm otherwise its never going to happen or until new type of chips that can continue to scale.

Hopefully developers dont adopt this fad same with gameworks and VR, tehnologies pushed to market ahead of time so they can sell something else other than 20% performance improvement each ~2 years

4 hours ago, Thony said:

The definition doesnt mean the product doesnt work, it means theres a new generation.

That's actually not the definition of obsolete.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's actually not the definition of obsolete.

For GPUs it is. They are current until there is a new version/gen.

B95298C2-C34C-43AF-B5AD-10A593150B53.png

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

For GPUs it is. They are current until there is a new version/gen.

Unfortunately, you missed the opportunity to check the definition of current first. It was just one click away in the previous definition...

As long as we stick to English, the release of a new GPU lineup does not make existing cards obsolete in any sense covered by that word.

8 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You may be interested in Tech Deals' reviews.

Hm, going to check it out. Still, it does bother me that on most of linus benchmarks, deus ex averages 30 fps on 1080p using the most powerful graphics cards. Is the game unplayable? NO, but thats what it looks like. Idk why devs allow shit like that.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.