Most Graphics Cards have just become (kind of) Obsolete thanks to Direct X 12 Ray Tracing Extension and Nvidia RTX with GameWorks 2.0

AlTech
16 minutes ago, Thony said:

For GPUs it is. They are current until there is a new version/gen.

The current GPU's aren't outdated until this tech is widely accepted and utilized by game devs,and there is enough consumer market share of cards that use it, otherwise RTX is going to be like other hardly used GPU features or the small niche of 4K and VR. Even then all a person has to do is turn off the feature or turn down some settings,game devs suddenly won't make their games useless to everyone that doesn't have the hardware support,that is the definition of obsolete here.

The sooner this becomes mainstream the better, as long as the ray tracing hardware is not easy to use for cryto mining. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

It's been 2 years. New features are a good thing, but that doesn't make existing cards "obsolete".

GPU craze is depressing and you thought ram was bad...luckily the 1060 is still ok.

2 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The current GPU's aren't outdated until this tech is widely accepted and utilized by game devs,and there is enough consumer market share of cards that use it, otherwise RTX is going to be like other hardly used GPU features or the small niche of 4K and VR. Even then all a person has to do is turn off the feature or turn down some settings,game devs suddenly won't make their games useless to everyone that doesn't have the hardware support,that is the definition of obsolete here.

Yes! I completely agree with this. It's in the devs best interest to make their games compatible with most PCs. This new technology just sounds like a graphics setting you can turn on/off. I don't see the GTX 1060 being outdated anytime soon. 

On 3/20/2018 at 6:58 AM, pat182 said:

(2016) GTX 9XX SERIES DOESNT FULLY SUPPORT DX12 THEY ARE OBSOLETE

(2018) DX12 is just trash and never took off

It's almost as if Nvidia understands these things take years to become mainstream. It might be by 2022 that DX12 becomes truly mainstream, and that might be when this is getting used in a large number of games. Most people won't be using Pascal by then.

On 20/03/2018 at 11:44 AM, Sauron said:

I think I'll just turn ray tracing off and live with it. I also think DX12 should be left to die, hopefully Vulkan gets something similar soon and makes it retrocompatible (if at all possible).

Super with you on the let DX12 die, Vulcan FTW imo

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well Im glad I havent upgraded  my 970  considering the cost and now this Ill just wait foe turing gpus to come out

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I'm so glad the title doesn't effect GPU performance,  imagine if no one could use their current GPU's because OP used the wrong contextual interpretation of the word "obsolete"

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/20/2018 at 5:44 AM, Sauron said:

I think I'll just turn ray tracing off and live with it. I also think DX12 should be left to die, hopefully Vulkan gets something similar soon and makes it retrocompatible (if at all possible).

Link in the OP: 

Tl;dr AMD is working on it for Vulkan

29 minutes ago, iwasaperson said:

Tl;dr AMD is working on it for Vulkan

Now we just have to wait for the next Quake or RAGE 2 to see the tech properly in action.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I'm so glad the title doesn't effect GPU performance,  imagine if no one could use their current GPU's because OP used the wrong contextual interpretation of the word "obsolete"

Obsolete doesn't mean unusable.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Obsolete doesn't mean unusable.

I know, I was having a dig at everyone whinging about the title, spouting definitions and ignoring context etc...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I know, I was having a dig at everyone whinging about the title, spouting definitions and ignoring context etc...

Also known as fun killers

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also known as fun killers

Look someone is having fun with words,  we'd better hit them with this dictionary in case someone accidentally buys the wrong GPU. 

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Look someone is having fun with words,  we'd better hit them with this dictionary in case someone accidentally buys the wrong GPU. 

dictionary-attack.jpg

15 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's almost as if Nvidia understands these things take years to become mainstream. It might be by 2022 that DX12 becomes truly mainstream, and that might be when this is getting used in a large number of games. Most people won't be using Pascal by then.

Well even World of Warcraft is moving to DX12 for their next expansion. Will be interesting to see how many of the new features they add.

They already use some NV tech for HBAO+, and Shadows.

Let's just hope people don't get use to silly GPU prices by 2022.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Well even World of Warcraft is moving to DX12 for their next expansion. Will be interesting to see how many of the new features they add.

They already use some NV tech for HBAO+, and Shadows.

Let's just hope people don't get use to silly GPU prices by 2022.

Isn't WoW still a performance mess though? Seems like they've got a lot of work on their hands for that.

29 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Isn't WoW still a performance mess though? Seems like they've got a lot of work on their hands for that.

The latest expansion switched a lot more to GPU load, and DX12 is a hell of a lot of work. If done right it could really help for that nasty cpu bottleneck.

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

The latest expansion switched a lot more to GPU load, and DX12 is a hell of a lot of work. If done right it could really help for that nasty cpu bottleneck.

Or make it infinitely worse.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Or make it infinitely worse.

Blizzard has stated before they won't touch any new API tech if there isn't at least some performance increase. Let's hope they get it right.
They've managed it with Metal on OS X surprisingly; so I'll see how it goes with DX12.

Knowing them they'll keep DX11 version there also; like they currently  have DX9 as a fall back if you can't manage DX11.

5 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Blizzard has stated before they won't touch any new API tech if there isn't at least some performance increase. Let's hope they get it right.
They've managed it with Metal on OS X surprisingly; so I'll see how it goes with DX12.

Knowing them they'll keep DX11 version there also; like they currently  have DX9 as a fall back if you can't manage DX11.

Now hopefully they can implement this ray tracing stuff.

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Now hopefully they can implement this ray tracing stuff.

Hmm, that would be interesting alright. Would be a proper push I'd say.

I dont see this becomming the next big thing imideatly so no graphics cards wont sudenly become usless overnight and if Nvidia thinks it will their idiots. 90% of these cards will first go to miners to mine crypto not some new game.