Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Theres an Atari 800XL somewhere in my moms basement. Yes you read that right. Google it if you want to see what 80s stylePC gaming was like.

One of my oldest memories was seeing my dad sitting at a card table in front of the TV after a shift at the factory, with his Atari 800xl with a big mass of cables and disk drives and a big red handled joystick mounted on a square box, playing a game called oils well. The graphics were atrocious by todays standards, and even at the time I don't exactly remember being impressed by them. Then came Nintendo and everything changed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

A old Nvidia GEForce 5600 FX or something like that (Its dying or something, when using it the montior randomly turns off and does this glitchy thing, like it fades and goes back on)

FX 5600 XT or FX 5900 XT I think actually

That GPU can run Minecraft better than my 2010 laptop can, much suprise.

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9550 256mb (Better than the other one apparently)

Some DDR and DDR2 Ram (128mb (2 I think), 256mb (possibly) and 512mb (possibly)

A 6 GB HDD, a 500MB hard drive or something, a TV Tuner card (I dont consider it retro, its actually use able)

A really old celeron or something, had the old intel logo on the box. Its in my dad's old PC.

Probably more if I looked again.

And for software,

Office 97

Windows 98 SE

Windows XP Home edition

MS-DOS 6.0 floppies

DooM For Windows 95

Il put more of the stuff I have as I remember and find it lol.

I got a Commodore 64, with 4 cassette games  :D

16065204778_518bcc72cc_c.jpg

Haven't seen one of the old faithfuls in a while. Looks like its in good condition too.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Haven't seen one of the old faithfuls in a while. Looks like its in good condition too.

Yes, its in very good condition considering i got it from a flea market for €12 

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.

Today I thought we would do something fun and different. This is a topic about showing of all your old pc parts (or old computers). Feel free to post some pics:) It will be fun:D

Here's some of mine:

attachicon.gif20131219_215248_edited.jpg

Kingston Hyperx DDR2 2GB 1066MHz

attachicon.gif20131219_221706_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz

attachicon.gif20131219_220612_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz backside

dude im sorry none of that is old compared to the apple II some dude is gonna show off.... xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Fine, here's my limited amount of

i3r9.jpg

mupk.jpg

laying around.

What kind of potato is that?

The saddest part is that a lot of the parts you guys are showing off are some of the things I'm currently using. Like the 8800gt and the E8400 no joke that's my gaming rig. I'd kill for some of the old dusty stuff you have :)

In a life born so wicked and stricked , I've learned to hold dear truth

The future to always pass quickly  To them and myself I plead   

May the unforeseen powers forgive us  For our mistakes, Sins, and shortcomings.

The saddest part is that a lot of the parts you guys are showing off are some of the things I'm currently using. Like the 8800gt and the E8400 no joke that's my gaming rig. I'd kill for some of the old dusty stuff you have :)

At least you've been using a Core 2 for a while, until the start of last year the best CPU I'd ever used was a Core Duo 2.16GHz, and before that a P4 3.2GHz. (My core 2 rig got given to me 3 months ago).

PMSL

At least you've been using a Core 2 for a while, until the start of last year the best CPU I'd ever used was a Core Duo 2.16GHz, and before that a P4 3.2GHz. (My core 2 rig got given to me 3 months ago).

Yeah I can't really complain. Its just funny that people be using 8800s for coasters and junk :)

In a life born so wicked and stricked , I've learned to hold dear truth

The future to always pass quickly  To them and myself I plead   

May the unforeseen powers forgive us  For our mistakes, Sins, and shortcomings.

How do I upload a photo? xD

I have a Asus V7700 PRO on my desk.. a 32 MB Graphicscard

Most of our old stuff is still in use (my sister has my Athlon64 x2 rig and my parents occasionally use their old P4 system), but in terms of stuff that's NOT in use we have:

• 2 other P4s (both 2.8GHz no HT I think)
  • Assortment of DDR sticks lying around
  • Nvidia 6800le (I think - there's a 5xxx card in my parents' P4 rig)
  • Assortment of OEM keyboards and mice
  • 160GB PATA HDD
  • Assortment of floppy disks
  • ZX Spectrum (128K upgrade and the Microdrive cartridges)
  • Compaq P3 era machine
  • Packard Bell P3 era machine (had a cracking 64MB of shared video memory)

Can't think of anything else. My dad took less of an interest in computers at the turn of the century and the Athlon system only happened because I semi-needed my own system and it was a 'fun project' for us both to work on. Then we missed the boat with late DDR2 systems (mmn those Core 2 Duos and Quads) and it was only because the Athlon system was struggling in anything but the least demanding of workloads that I built a new system. Bearing in mind it was built Dec 2013 with early 2012 tech and hasn't really seen an upgrade since.

I bet we're not far off people making coasters out of GTX 660s

Most of our old stuff is still in use (my sister has my Athlon64 x2 rig and my parents occasionally use their old P4 system), but in terms of stuff that's NOT in use we have:

• 2 other P4s (both 2.8GHz no HT I think)
  • Assortment of DDR sticks lying around
  • Nvidia 6800le (I think - there's a 5xxx card in my parents' P4 rig)
  • Assortment of OEM keyboards and mice
  • 160GB PATA HDD
  • Assortment of floppy disks
  • ZX Spectrum (128K upgrade and the Microdrive cartridges)
  • Compaq P3 era machine
  • Packard Bell P3 era machine (had a cracking 64MB of shared video memory)

Can't think of anything else. My dad took less of an interest in computers at the turn of the century and the Athlon system only happened because I semi-needed my own system and it was a 'fun project' for us both to work on. Then we missed the boat with late DDR2 systems (mmn those Core 2 Duos and Quads) and it was only because the Athlon system was struggling in anything but the least demanding of workloads that I built a new system. Bearing in mind it was built Dec 2013 with early 2012 tech and hasn't really seen an upgrade since.

I bet we're not far off people making coasters out of GTX 660s

My 480 gets to drive all of my not-primary displays (right now it's just a single 1080p display). And it folds sometimes which is really nice in the winter. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That matrix, how did you do that? Photoshop?

Thanks for the question, its not Photoshop. I set my monitor wallpaper to the binary image, the image had to be flipped backwards and upside down to be read correctly in the reflection. Set the hdd on my desk and angled my monitor down so that I could see it on the disks reflection. Angled my camera on the disk and set the focus to the monitor so the binary was crisp and everything else blurred.

Image in question

11864152235_4242902a03_h.jpg

Seagate Barracuda by MPhotos07, on Flickr

i5 4690k  -  MSI Z97M Gaming  -  GTX 970  -  Kingston HyperX Savage  -  Samsung 840 EVO  -  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

Thanks for the question, its not Photoshop. I set my monitor wallpaper to the binary image, the image had to be flipped backwards and upside down to be read correctly in the reflection. Set the hdd on my desk and angled my monitor down so that I could see it on the disks reflection. Angled my camera on the disk and set the focus to the monitor so the binary was crisp and everything else blurred.

Image in question

Smart. Could you give me the link of that wallpaper? I love it

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Today my computer teacher was cleaning out stuff to get ready for the custodians to paint the room and we found an old processor card with a processor that had the AMD logo with © INTEL 1982 on it, an old LAN card, and an ancient serial/parallel port controller.

Today my computer teacher was cleaning out stuff to get ready for the custodians to paint the room and we found an old processor card with a processor that had the AMD logo with © INTEL 1982 on it, an old LAN card, and an ancient serial/parallel port controller.

Did the CPU have 286 on it? Because I happen to have a motherboard with one of those installed on it.

PMSL

Did the CPU have 286 on it? Because I happen to have a motherboard with one of those installed on it.

I'm not sure. It was one of those sockets that needs a screwdriver to pry the thing out.

yay, PC upgrade boards. probably just a better idea to just buy an AT clone at that point.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Took these images on a stupid Windows phone. So ugly.

(this board is actually brand new. I never opened it. It is in pristine condition.)

15675889344_1b1b70ee4c_o.jpg

16297450742_effb4080c0_o.jpg

16272371766_cfefdbb265_o.jpg

16298302215_2f6cfaf8b8_o.jpg

15675888454_9e2011f71a_o.jpg

15678424103_16bb183703_o.jpg

I have so much more in my storage. Like twenty boards and a couple of CPUs, sound cards, gpus, psus, hard drives and floppy drives. lol

P.S

Lightbulb literally blew up seconds after I finished. Weird.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I know this is not really computer related but its retro tech none the less.

im a bit into collecting and restoring old vacuum tube radio's, and i love the inside of those radios.

15685502484_b6bde37937_c.jpg

One dream, one soul, one prize, One goal, one golden glance of what should be, It's a kind of magic.

I'd show you, but all the parts in my really old PC have become dust...of you seen dust, you've seen my old computer.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

My AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 

post-56537-0-35981200-1421585608_thumb.j

And my AMD Radeon x300 (Still works)

post-56537-0-04588400-1421585629_thumb.j

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB