Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Some DDR1 ram, so what? I have one machine running 1,5gb of that, 3x512mt. With SATA1 200gb HDD (the IDE drive is now in trash).

I wasn't trying to "wow" anyone with the level of tech, it was more of a shout out to my very first PC upgrade back when I knew jack-all about computers. I am very aware that other people possess much older technology than mine. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I wasn't trying to "wow" anyone with the level of tech, it was more of a shout out to my very first PC upgrade back when I knew jack-all about computers. I am very aware that other people possess much older technology than mine. 

Well, if its any better, the machine I mentioned is kinda my first own upgrade. I changed mobo and CPU, later was time for HDD and GPU. Oh, and PSU at some point. But case, DVD and CD drives are still from original. So is the ram. The boxes of treassures at my moms hold even older stuff.

I just get bit annoyed by topics like this because I think its some 12yo who's first machine was i5.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Got quite a few core 2 duo e4400 somewhere and some old P8Z motherboards

Well, if its any better, the machine I mentioned is kinda my first own upgrade. I changed mobo and CPU, later was time for HDD and GPU. Oh, and PSU at some point. But case, DVD and CD drives are still from original. So is the ram. The boxes of treassures at my moms hold even older stuff.

I just get bit annoyed by topics like this because I think its some 12yo who's first machine was i5.

I'm definitely not a 12 yo. Lol. My first PC was a HP Vectra VE.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Probably runs Super Mario 16 bit @ 11 fps.

Why does an XT not have a hard drive? Its probably actually a PC.

Mario 16 bit?

Old shit no one cares about but me.

c77db6a902.jpg

Here's my oldest piece of hardware.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

The one thing I've noticed about the early HDD is that they last a lot longer than newer ones, with my old WD all it needs is a few blocks of dry ice on it every now and then and it runs at an acceptable noise level (without dry Ice it starts screeching, measured it at 69 decibels at one point), I even have the original install of win 3.1 and booting.

Seems like a really good compromise.

"I'll just go ahead and put a lump of solid CO2 on my HDD, this is so much better than those bloody modern drives that work without being cooled to negative temperatures"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Seems like a really good compromise.

"I'll just go ahead and put a lump of solid CO2 on my HDD, this is so much better than those bloody modern drives that work without being cooled to negative temperatures"

The specified MTBF is 100,000 hours for the specific model, its done over 200,000 and outlasted a 2001 20GB HDD and 2 80GB from 2006-2007. Newer WD HDD put the Caviar name to shame, the build quality is of a completely different class on their earlier drives. Solid steel shells for one.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Do you have any cool pieces of PC hardware history lying around?

If you do, what is it? And some pics would be cool.

I found this old Pentium III from one of my old PC's.

Runs at 1GHz. Woulda costed a cool $1000 in the year 2000.

xTpFnRb.jpg

aifwDkS.jpg

System: Thinkpad T460

Does my 80GB WD Black count? Its not that old tho :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It's not that old, but I have an unopened Sempron 145 that I got for Christmas :D

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I have lots of old PC crap at my parents house. My favorite is probably my Asus dual slot 1 motherboard with 2 1Ghz Pentium 3's(I can't imagine how much this would have cost back in the day). I'm thinking about getting 1.5Gb of RDRAM and using my BFG AGP 7300Gt and making a retro gaming machine.

@Octavialicious , I still use one of those daily lol. Were you able to turn yours into a dual core Athlon?

Hmm, I'm fairly sure I still have a Pentium 75MHz (1st gen) somewhere, also an Intel Pentium MMX 200MHz, a good ol' 3DFX Voodoo gfx add-on card (these were the bomb back in the day!), maybe a Tseng ET-4000 gfx card with 1Mb of Ram :)  Will try to dig them out.

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz | Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower Max AC | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz | GPU: MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G TwinFrozr V | Case: NZXT Switch 810 SE | Cooler: Corsair H105 Hydro |

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Storage: WD Caviar Black 3TB | Displays: Samsung P2450 & Samsung 2232GW | Keyboard: Tesoro Colada G3NL Black Aluminum (Cherry MX Brown)

I have lots of old PC crap at my parents house. My favorite is probably my Asus dual slot 1 motherboard with 2 1Ghz Pentium 3's(I can't imagine how much this would have cost back in the day). I'm thinking about getting 1.5Gb of RDRAM and using my BFG AGP 7300Gt and making a retro gaming machine.

@Octavialicious , I still use one of those daily lol. Were you able to turn yours into a dual core Athlon?

It's not being used, I got it to hang on my wall :) I really love anything AMD tbh :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Well, the oldest thing I have kicking around is some 4770's and a Phenom II x4 955 BE

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I have 3 old dell mobos that I stole from the bin outside school, a core 2 duo, an old hdd, some ddr2 RAM, an old computer that still works (but it doesn't have the HDD), a dell that only has the case, cpu, mobo, and cooler, an old hp that only has motherboard and case, and an nvidia 8400gs or something like that, most of which just chill in my room, the cpu and half a stick of ddr2 (snapped it on purpose xD ) are on a little solar spinner thingy, the motherboards are just chillin, the gpu is hanging up beside my bed, 1 of the old computers is next to my desk and the HP and Dell that don't have much are downstairs, the HDD and RAM are also chillin, with the exception of a few sticks of RAM which I have either made into christmas tree decorations, car ornaments or a "necklace" sorta thing which I have yet to give to my friend for christmas.

sorry for the shite formatting, in a rush lol.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

my Celeron 700/128/66 processor

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro.