Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Its similar for me, I helped my Aunt clean her garage out, and I got given enough parts to make working:

1982  286

1992 386 (amd dk-40, was the best until the 486 66mhz, and in some ways still is)

486 (date isn't on the mobo, 486 is one of the slow ones)

amd k6-2 based pc

intel slot 1 celeron/ pga370 celeron pc

pentium 3 based pc

I've built and power them up, but getting past the bios screens on the 286-486 is impossible because I don't have a serial keyboard.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Sort of ontopic  :D

http://www.computerhope.com/history/1997.htm

Many good things happened in 1997. 

Now, mostly because of free internet, more pc users became more educated. I don't remember back then a single person who would complain about the sh*ty power supplies units that were installed in OEM PCs, but then again I don't recall many of them fail either.

Gold contacts on most of the components was also a good thing (but of course it raised the price of a PC by thousand of dollars)..

From evolution point of view, PC's have followed the same trend some of us somehow don't want to acknowledge: they've become smaller, more powerful and more accesible to average joe.

Ah, 1997... the year I turned 18, and bought my first own computer with my own money.

post-41393-0-55809500-1415830901_thumb.j

Some sort of internet expansion card. It has a line in and telephone port(?).

Haha. This is a 56k modem. 

My Rig!

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D, Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming, CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (OC'd to 4.2Ghz), RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz, GFX: 2 x Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce in SLI, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i with Corsair SP120 Quiet edition fans, SSD: 2 x 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro in Raid 0, Storage: 2Tb WD Caviar Black, PSU: Corsair AX760i, Monitor: Benq XL2024T Keyboard: Corsair K70, Mouse: Razer Taipan

Ah, '97... the year i was throwing balls and legos around the place, shitting into a pot :P #goodtimes 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Ah, the time when AMD processors were still good...

since when were AMD processors "bad"?

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

since when were AMD processors "bad"?

lets just say they are not competitive for the price anymore

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

the 386 dk-40 was one of the best amd cpus ever made, and it was able to beat newer intel 486 until a 66MHz version was made.

PMSL

My computer teacher had a similar system that I was able to freely screw around with. Sadly, over the summer, during renovations, it was thrown out.

saying a core company like amd has made bad products with a time constraint instead of a product line constraint is pretty biased.

Not really,  You have to remember that majority of users on this forums are specifically gamers and enthusiast overclockers, and on that score there where periods of time when both Intel and AMD had CPU's that just sucked compared to the other.  I don't know if you're old enough to have played with the AMD 3200 and 3500's, they trolloped the p4 in most games and were significant'y cheaper.  Prior to that the p3 was the king, these where quite specific periods of time just as much as they were product lines.

The important thing is to compare like for like, you either compare CPU's from a given time or from a given price point or from a given end use, they are all valid constraints.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some info from the pics

The black slots on the motherboard is call ISA

Those rams using the white slots are EDO rams. They must run in pairs, just like RD-RAM. Running in pairs is not for dual channel, since dual channel didn't exist back then.

RD-RAMs also need terminators (dummy rams) for the slots that's not being used otherwise the system won't POST.

The AMD processor runs on socket 462.

The ISA card with the line jack might be a modem, but I never saw one with a camera type connector in it. Probably it's ot a modem, but something else. Maybe a very old door system controller card?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

that's a cool looking amd chip :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Be grateful for what you now have you  little shits. :)

Haha.  Yeah, no kidding.  

This may not be exactly what you were expecting in a topic with this title, but:....

Take this as a rare chance to compare the computers of the last century with the computers of today. 

I remember all that stuff coming out.  I wasn't big into computers, but I used them.  I some how managed to be both an indoor and outdoor kid.  Too bad I couldn't keep that up.   :P     Our first computer was a Zenith with an 8088 processor.   It didn't have Windows.  It didn't even have a mouse.  But I still played games on it sometimes.  Apochee was a popular game developer if I remember right.    I played Zaxxon and Hart Hat Mac on it.  

The computer is long gone, but coincidentally, a few weeks ago I asked my dad about it.  He didn't have any of the original documentation any more, but he did find the exact one on the internet.  It's the brochure.  Your pictures are more fun to look at.  They're creative with the focus or filter that was used. 

Do you think you'll try to keep some of "today's" technology around just for the sake of having it 20 years from now? 

post-122698-0-97404300-1416879556_thumb.

post-122698-0-10558500-1416879572_thumb.

post-122698-0-97430300-1416879583_thumb.

post-122698-0-39490100-1416879592_thumb.

The ISA card with the line jack might be a modem, but I never saw one with a camera type connector in it. Probably it's ot a modem, but something else. Maybe a very old door system controller card?

I think It's a video modem, quite rare to see them with the camera port.  The white box above the line socket is more than likely micro switches to adjust the IRQ.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Back in my day we had to drag our hdds uphill...in the snow..to write to them...or something...*waves cane*

Nothing quite like the knocking sound of the Seagate ST-251s, you kids today and your fancy silent solid states. This old 43 megabyte drive transferred at 5 mb/s. (I was surprised to actually find a video with the noise O.ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTu-1dLegzI )

qsMk09f.jpg

O575Zrt.jpg

vImUOAt.jpg

The one thing I've noticed about the early HDD is that they last a lot longer than newer ones, with my old WD all it needs is a few blocks of dry ice on it every now and then and it runs at an acceptable noise level (without dry Ice it starts screeching, measured it at 69 decibels at one point), I even have the original install of win 3.1 and booting.

PMSL

I always like the sound of them Seagate Cheetah 15K SCSI drive.

This is the closest sound I managed to find, but this one is a Seagate Cheetah 10K

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

It's revival time!

Say hello to the Compaq Deskpro 4/25is. 

1GOnBO3.jpg

This computer originally sported a 486SX 25mhz CPU and 4MB of RAM and ran DOS. However, it has been upgraded to a 486DX2 66MHz and 12MB of ram and runs Windows 95.

Since I already have a 66MHz 486, I plan on downgrading it back to a 25mhz SX processor, and put DOS back on it. Might also get a Sound Blaster Pro or 2.0 or something. Until then, I'll just let it run win95, since my other 486 doesn't like win95... at all...

When I first got this computer, it looked like this inside:

SbmbSCn.png

It was a fuzzy computer. It also has a full height 3.5" drive, which is pretty huge looking.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Today I thought we would do something fun and different. This is a topic about showing of all your old pc parts (or old computers). Feel free to post some pics:) It will be fun:D

Here's some of mine:

attachicon.gif20131219_215248_edited.jpg

Kingston Hyperx DDR2 2GB 1066MHz

attachicon.gif20131219_221706_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz

attachicon.gif20131219_220612_edited.jpg

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz backside

of those, I've got an identical stick of ram in my media pc, and a core 2 duo e8500. Though if you really want retro just look at a 386/486 cpu.

PMSL

snip

You are the official LTT computer junk hoarder, wear it with pride :D

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It's revival time!

Say hello to the Compaq Deskpro 4/25is. 

This computer originally sported a 486SX 25mhz CPU and 4MB of RAM and ran DOS. However, it has been upgraded to a 486DX2 66MHz and 12MB of ram and runs Windows 95.

Since I already have a 66MHz 486, I plan on downgrading it back to a 25mhz SX processor, and put DOS back on it. Might also get a Sound Blaster Pro or 2.0 or something. Until then, I'll just let it run win95, since my other 486 doesn't like win95... at all...

When I first got this computer, it looked like this inside:

It was a fuzzy computer. It also has a full height 3.5" drive, which is pretty huge looking.

UNGH SO NICE.

I miss my old Deskpro (desktop form factor) that ran Windows 98. I've forgotten all of the specs, sadly.

You are the official LTT computer junk hoarder, wear it with pride :D

You sure? ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ohh, I forgot I could add another piece of tech to this. 

Sadly, it has actually died on me. After owning it second hand for about 4-5 months. 

Lnv8Ztn.jpg

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"