The fact is that Coffee Lake including 6-core can perfect work on 100/200 series motherboard

10 minutes ago, Wikiforce said:

Only if intel was not greedy and allowed newer CPUs on previous generation chipsets like AMD does o.O

While I do agree you can also look at AM3+ as an example why not. I doubt any Z series boards would have issues with the 8th gen chips though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Bias in the context of how an opinion is expressed, and facts presented in a manner to achieve the desired response from the audience. There is no incriminating evidence for such a thing. This is the media industry's bread and butter.

He can really only disclose an ad when the contract asks for a single (or fixed small #) of video. You notice that these videos are more controversial and not representative of Linus's personal opinion on the product. But when it calls for something long term thats where the big $$ comes in and a cunning choice of words makes its play.

Still waiting for a single example of Linus doing that. If all you're saying is that he personally likes Intel but doesn't misrepresent the facts then quite frankly I don't see the problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Heyheyhey :P. I’m really hoping for this to work out. My Z170 won’t struggle with the extra cores and it feels like a waste to go to a 7700k now

That's an F in the profile pic

RNGeesus please make it explode and make Intel and partner allow this officially, changing socket for every Intel engineer's brain-farts has always been a pain in the rear!

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

But didn't the 8700 fail to POST? Possibly implying that's it's not just a software locked thing, but possibly because more cores use more power..

I would imagine that, if those issues occurred, it shouldn't affect it unless you run a stress test since it doesn't stress power delivery much to post.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time accepting some random screenshots on the internet as proof.  What I would accept as proof - apart from an in-person demonstration - is a completely uncut video showing the installation of the CPU, mounting of the heatsink and then POSTing to the BIOS.

Having said that, the 8th gen i3 I could see as feasible, simply because it's effectively a rebranded i5 from the previous gen.  I doubt they changed much in the design.  It's the i5's and i7's that are more unlikely.  Not saying that it's impossible, just that I require more evidence to convince me.

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

But didn't the 8700 fail to POST? Possibly implying that's it's not just a software locked thing, but possibly because more cores use more power..

As i mentioned in another post, AMD with there am2 to am3+ cpus had some motherboards that supported 4 generations of processors by utilizing reserved pins and bios updates.

So while not Every board know to man may post a 8700, there are definitely some boards that could be bios modified to support it.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, Wikiforce said:

Only if intel was not greedy and allowed newer CPUs on previous generation chipsets like AMD does o.O

Forget the greed at this point it's more the slowness: How fucking long do they need to take before releasing the rest of the motherboards?

People are having to resort to this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Wikiforce said:

Implying that AMD isn't just as greedy. Consumer friendly and greedy aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

*Thread moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

oh shit banking off those $47 chipsets

you know if hey really wanted to be greedy they solder the cpus to motherboards themselves and sell

>no sauce

Yeah I'm not buying your BS OP. Nice try though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I would imagine that, if those issues occurred, it shouldn't affect it unless you run a stress test since it doesn't stress power delivery much to post.

Understandable, but still not something you want to advertise; a possibly unstable system.

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

As i mentioned in another post, AMD with there am2 to am3+ cpus had some motherboards that supported 4 generations of processors by utilizing reserved pins and bios updates.

So while not Every board know to man may post a 8700, there are definitely some boards that could be bios modified to support it.

I thought the same way about Asus saying they had motherboards that supported it; likely only their higher end stuff and they didn't want validate all CPU's on all old boards.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Understandable, but still not something you want to advertise; a possibly unstable system.

I was just pointing out that it didn't make sense that more cores would cause an inability to POST

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Call me skeptical, but I have a hard time accepting some random screenshots on the internet as proof.  What I would accept as proof - apart from an in-person demonstration - is a completely uncut video showing the installation of the CPU, mounting of the heatsink and then POSTing to the BIOS.

Having said that, the 8th gen i3 I could see as feasible, simply because it's effectively a rebranded i5 from the previous gen.  I doubt they changed much in the design.  It's the i5's and i7's that are more unlikely.  Not saying that it's impossible, just that I require more evidence to convince me.

Personally, I wouldn't even trust that. If someone wanted to, they could swap the heat spreaders and modify the BIOS to read the CPU models as such.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I know what I said doesn't sound very nice. This back and forth is only going to derail the news discussion. 

Then why even say it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have no doubt you can do this on the higher end boards but what you have to consider is that the 8700k would have to run at stock on a h170 bargain basement board for Intel to say that coffee lake works on thoes boards

proof I have none but there's a reason we don't have any cheep h mobo for coffee lake yet, only z370

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5510470404?share=9105&fr=share&see_lz=0&sfc=copy&client_type=2&client_version=9.2.8.0&st=1520639346&unique=D271D245464D1A8CB032DF9BB3844C1C

This is January of this year, Taobao merchants used ASRock b250 motherboard to successfully install 8700k posts, but need to modify the hardware, for the possible problems leading to so far no shelves in the store.

11 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

I have no doubt you can do this on the higher end boards but what you have to consider is that the 8700k would have to run at stock on a h170 bargain basement board for Intel to say that coffee lake works on thoes boards

proof I have none but there's a reason we don't have any cheep h mobo for coffee lake yet, only z370

why on earth would anyone put an 8700k on a "bargain basement" H motherboard?

"i want the cheapest Chinese board sir and the most expensive CPU you got, and if it goes wrong i will came back and sue your ass and Intel's ass"

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

why on earth would anyone put an 8700k on a "bargain basement" H motherboard?

"i want the cheapest Chinese board sir and the most expensive CPU you got, and if it goes wrong i will came back and sue your ass and Intel's ass"

But you have to think of the worst case senarior for the people who don't no anything 

if intel support coffelake on 170 and 270 boards all of them have to be able to run the top chip

otherwise the whole line up will not support coffelake

can you imagen the chaos if they only supported it on some older gen motherboards 

and oem prebuilts will run thoes shit motherboards with the high end chips because technically they are meant to work  

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

2 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

if intel support coffelake on 170 and 270 boards all of them have to be able to run the top chip

No, in two ways: Intel doesn't need to support anything, but allow the motherboard manufacturers to decide what to support in their boards; there's no need to add support in all boards.

2 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

can you imagen the chaos if they only supported it on some older gen motherboards 

Yes: zero chaos. We are not even talking about something hypothetical, it has happened before in the history of AMD and Intel: the 771-775 "sticker mod", the limited support for the FX-9xxx series, all the "+" and "non  +" AM2/AM3 boards...

The truth is, there is nothing preventing them for having only certain CPUs and/or motherboards to be compatible with each other, it's just a decision like any other.

11 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

But you have to think of the worst case senarior for the people who don't no anything 

and oem prebuilts will run thoes shit motherboards with the high end chips because technically they are meant to work  

this looks more like someone looking for a problem that fits the solution they want than finding a solution for a actual problem.

No one can actually place a 8700k on a old motherboard without a BIOS update, you could limit power draw on some motherboards, or block some cores or the speed, or not allow 8700k on H motherboards and only on B or just Z.

This is not like AMD that really isn't doing custom shenanigans, Intel invented K processors so that you can overclock some processors and not others just to milk the customers. Was there a chaos for some processors being locked?

On 3/9/2018 at 5:56 AM, Xiaotao Yin said:

In China, people successfully modified the motherboard BIOS file to enable the use of 100/200 series motherboards.Before this, people have successfully installed the i3 8100 with the h110 and sold it on Taobao, but someone recently used the b150 to successfully install the i5 8400/8500.

So, what? As you can see. Even so much evidences have been shown, people still don't believe it.

Personally, I don't doubt you.  However as with most things it's too much effort to be a viable 'thing'  Which, like mentioned in Fridays WAN show, is what Intel said about running Coffee Lake on 170/270 boards would be.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!