Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I can tell the difference between 99 and 100 F, not 309 and 310 K. :P

Kelvin's scale is the same as Celsius. Kelvin just start at absolute zero and can only go higher.

Kelvin's scale is the same as Celsius. Kelvin just start at absolute zero and can only go higher.

Still find Fahrenheit more useful for every day things.

that's why it's fun :P 0K=-173.5C if I'm not wrong I know I'm not that far off at least

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

that's why it's fun :P 0K=-173.5C if I'm not wrong I know I'm not that far off at least

-273.15 C :P

Close enough. –273.15C

CloseEnough.jpg

Still find Fahrenheit more useful for every day things.

That's only the case because you are used to it :P

Close enough. –273.15C

[]

well I told you I was close :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Let's just all agree on that this is the only correct way to gauge the temperature.

DSCF7108.JPG

That's only the case because you are used to it :P

Not..really..

Let's just all agree on that this is the only correct way to gauge the temperature.

]

My moped just has a light warning for overheat :P and I would freaking kill for a RPM monitor thing

Builds:

Spoiler

Not..really..

I'm still curious how you can feel a difference between a degree Fahrenheit, but not a degree Celsius. When it's a greater difference for a single degree for Celsius. :P

I'm still curious how you can feel a difference between a degree Fahrenheit, but not a degree Celsius. When it's a greater difference for a single degree for Celsius. :P

No what I'm saying is that going from one degree Celsius to the next is a much bigger change than from one degree Fahrenheit to the next.

meh... not really. the evo is a niche car, it doesn't generate enough sales to keep mitsu auto going by itself... and the rest of the line up is crap. cars are just a tiny part of mitusbishi anyway, the only reason it exists is cause its CEO back in the day decided he wanted to be driven to work in his own car instead of a Toyota.

hate on economy cars all you want, but its what keeps most auto manufacturer's going, and mitsu automotive is dying cause it doesn't have a decent economy car

Mitsubishi Motor is actually churning a profit now as they are getting healthy sales in the developing parts of Asia (the ASEAN region in particular). They offer low pricing, a recognizable brand, and a stable parts network. They made 1.3B dollars last year, for example.

I think they will keep doing this for now, as it is what made them make money (they were bleeding money when they were trying to compete in developed markets).

Isuzu is also doing well in the ASEAN region (they no longer sell Pickups, MPVs and SUVs in most other markets).

Welp I returned the ST to the dealer without buying it this morning. I really do like the car, I simply cannot live with a black car. I am a clean car freak and black shows absolutely everything.

Things I liked:

• Shifter: very nice detents and a reasonably short throw for a factory shifter
  • Engine: power starts up quickly and smoothly, not peaky like some turbo cars
  • Push-Button/keyless Start: I don't know why I like this, I am usually not into this kind of thing; but for some reason I really liked the implementation. 
  • Clutch: somehow spanned the gap between a soft smooth clutch from an every day car, and a heavy, grippy clutch from a sports car. Almost perfection
  • Pedal Placement: Well spaced for heal-toe
  • Center exhaust: who doesn't love that?
  • Stereo: 9 speakers and a sub. For a factory stereo it was very nice.
  • Back seat: the back is very usable, much much more so than the back seats in my Mustang.
  • Phone Sync: Super easy, everything I wanted to do was very intuitive, never had to consult the manual.
  • Gauges: For the most part are very clear and easy to read at a quick glance
  • MPG: I got 34 MPG on my commute and a little extra driving. Slightly better than my 02 ZX3 Focus.
  • Turn in: I dont know if the car I drove just had a bit too much toe-in but the turn in was very very sharp, border lining on unstable. And I have a few years of open wheel car experience lol. I still like it in a dangerous fun kind of way. 

Things I didnt like:

• Black car
  • "Boost" gauge: It appears that the "Boost" gauge is not actually measuring boost, but some combination of engine load and RPM
  • Seats: The seats were very good, but the bolsters appear to be designed for a 300lb man, I am 5' 10" and ~150lbs and there was a lot of space on either side of me between the bolsters
  • Black car: After a day of driving it needed a bath again.
  • Touch Screen: Perhaps I am nitpicking but with the car off the touch screen looks awful as it is covered from finger prints from use. When the car is on you cant see any finger prints though.
  • Tires/Wheels: A winter tire and wheel combo would be absolutely necessary. 
  • Black car: yeah...
  • Engine noise: it sounds good but somehow makes almost zero turbo noise. I am paying a sizable premium for the turbocharged model; I want to hear it dammit.
  • Electronic Diff: I know it more expensive to put a real differential in the car, but I would buy it if a real LSD was an option. The brakes solution is a crappy solution to an already solved problem.
  • Black: Did I mention it was black?

So why did I walk away? Color. All of the rest of the shortfalls I could live with. If it was blue, or silver, or even tangerine scream, I may not have driven away in my old focus. I wish Subaru still made the WRX in a 5 door model. I was also looking at those until they stopped the hatch version. A hatch is just so damn useful. 

The search continues...

For a blue one :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

For a blue one :D

I lol'd a lot reading this. You really don't like black. xD

I know it's unfavorable but at least swapping the exhaust and getting a light tune really ups the turbo noise.

I lol'd a lot reading this. You really don't like black. xD

I know it's unfavorable but at least swapping the exhaust and getting a light tune really ups the turbo noise.

Actually I love the looks of a clean black car. The problem is they are only clean for about 10 minutes after you wash them. And I am a bit obsessive about having a clean car. 

I know I could do things to get more turbo noise, but it really should be there from the factory. JMHO :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Actually I love the looks of a clean black car. The problem is they are only clean for about 10 minutes after you wash them. And I am a bit obsessive about having a clean car. 

I know I could do things to get more turbo noise, but it really should be there from the factory. JMHO :)

Oh I know, but the general consumer will complain that the car isn't quiet.

They should just add a loud button. :D

Oh I know, but the general consumer will complain that the car isn't quiet.

They should just add a loud button. :D

I would argue that the ST trim is not really for the average consumer anyway. People buy it because they want something a bit more fun than the average car.

Although I don't disagree about the loud button ;)

Neat

Same engine as the first gen zonda

191005-224-mer-55a66859be0c8.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I would argue that the ST trim is not really for the average consumer anyway. People buy it because they want something a bit more fun than the average car.

Although I don't disagree about the loud button ;)

I've seen regular old people driving STs, so I think people just get suckered in to it. Butterfly valves on the exhaust would be so cool though.

Neat

Same engine as the first gen zonda

Really neat. But at least the Zonda doesn't look so drab.

I've seen regular old people driving STs, so I think people just get suckered in to it. Butterfly valves on the exhaust would be so cool though.

"What do these extra gauges on the dash mean?"

"I dunno..." :P

"What do these extra gauges on the dash mean?"

"I dunno..." :P

"Fun meters"

How's the car drive compared to a RWD vehicle?

I'm really not a fan of the first gen zondas design. The cabin looks like an afterthought.

I'd rather surprise people with the "Drab" benz :P

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'm really not a fan of the first gen zondas design. The cabin looks like an afterthought.

I'd rather surprise people with the "Drab" benz :P

I actually prefer the first gen interior because it's not so strange compared to the rest. That and I don't want to drive a drab looking vehicle.

"Fun meters"

How's the car drive compared to a RWD vehicle?

It is FWD and doesnt make any attempt to hide it. The Focus ST really isn't a sports car in an every day costume, it is an every day car with a bit more sportiness. That said it is a very well set up FWD car, very little noticeable push (on the few cloverleafs we have in town) and the car rotates very well. 

I honestly dont think it makes you feel quite as sporty as something like a BRZ/FRS, but it really isnt trying to be that either. 

I dont have a problem with the layout of the car, I would prefer AWD but it would add cost and weight.