Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

When will manufacturers understand that going bigger/fatter is not the way towards lower emissions and lower environmental impact?

Why aren't efforts being made to make cars lighter instead of the trend of going bigger and heavier?

Probably because they don't really give a fuck about any of that anyway, what do y'all think

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

When will manufacturers understand that going bigger/fatter is not the way towards lower emissions and lower environmental impact?

Why aren't efforts being made to make cars lighter instead of the trend of going bigger and heavier?

Probably because they don't really give a fuck about any of that anyway, what do y'all think

Physics and safety standards.

39 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

This.

Safety standards has virtually required that cars have to be bloated walruses.  There's requirements for types and amounts of airbags.  Exterior shape restrictions because of concerns for pedestrian safety.  Backup camera requirements necessitated because of years of increasingly large blind spots, spurred on by more and more safety standards.  And of course, nanny devices like lane assist, traction control, stability control, etc.  Add in shiens like exhaust note being pumped through the stereo, single and double-din radios being replaced with proprietary touch screens that both weigh more and are nearly impossible to replace with aftermarket, etc.

And it doesn't help that Kei cars are not a thing in the USA.  The pimped-out land yachts of the 1970's have never gone away fully.  When you look at width, wheelbase, length, cost, features, etc--you quickly realize that the pickup truck has replaced it.  So instead of getting a Jimny or a S660, the vehicles you can find are frequently the size of the schoolbus your great-grandparents used to ride on.

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Its not my opinion, its the reality. Current battery tech is not ready for prime-time. Too expensive, slow to charge, lifetime short.

Then why smartphones?  Why smartwatches?  Why outdoor power equipment?  Why power tools?  Why is a 150 mile range EV motorcycle that you plug in every night after you drive home from work--"not ready for prime time"?

Also Americans are all wanting SUVs which are bigger. You can't make a bigger vehicle weigh less than a smaller one.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Then why smartphones?  Why smartwatches?  Why outdoor power equipment?  Why power tools?  Why is a 150 mile range EV motorcycle that you plug in every night after you drive home from work--"not ready for prime time"?

Does your smart phone need to pull out hundreds of amps of power at a time then shove it back in during regen braking? No, no it does not. At this point you're either willfully playing dumb and ignorant or you are, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt Mr. Poops Dick's. 

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And can't those be met and efforts being made towards lightening the cars?

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Also Americans are all wanting SUVs which are bigger. You can't make a bigger vehicle weigh less than a smaller one.

Unfortunately true. Cars in 2050, probably

image.thumb.png.2e23deca2bf56cd4caf14ad8fc23f3e3.png

Front end looks accurate already.

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Unfortunately true. Cars in 2050, probably

image.thumb.png.2e23deca2bf56cd4caf14ad8fc23f3e3.png

Front end looks accurate already.

wait wait wait ... what happened to the ICE ban in 2035? ... or are the barrels batteries? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

34 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

wait wait wait ... what happened to the ICE ban in 2035? ... or are the barrels batteries? 

Formalities...

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Does your smart phone need to pull out hundreds of amps of power at a time then shove it back in during regen braking? No, no it does not. At this point you're either willfully playing dumb and ignorant or you are, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of doubt Mr. Poops Dick's. 

So your belief is that regenerative braking isn't ready for prime-time?  Because that was the gist of the original comment I was replying to.

I don't really understand why 8-10 hours of charging overnight to refill a battery in a commuter vehicle is a problem.  We already have so many other things that we plug in overnight.

I don't think electric motorcycles are the future of last-mile mobility but I don't see a problem with charging EVs overnight. Most people won't go through a full charge in a day, so longer nightly boosts shouldn't be a problem. In general it seems to me like the consumer benefits of EV just make them a far more reasonable choice than ICE from here on out.

22 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I don't think electric motorcycles are the future of last-mile mobility but I don't see a problem with charging EVs overnight. Most people won't go through a full charge in a day, so longer nightly boosts shouldn't be a problem. In general it seems to me like the consumer benefits of EV just make them a far more reasonable choice than ICE from here on out.

And I would agree that long-distances are not suited for EV's and really never will be.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

So your belief is that regenerative braking isn't ready for prime-time?  Because that was the gist of the original comment I was replying to.

I don't really understand why 8-10 hours of charging overnight to refill a battery in a commuter vehicle is a problem.  We already have so many other things that we plug in overnight.

I never said that regen braking is a problem or not ready, I also never said anything about overnight charging. My crux is that a MOTORCYCLE is not the vehicle that will bring EV's to the masses because in a large swath of the world adopting EV's it's not a practical vehicle to use for a large period of the year. Comparing the battery bank in an EV to your smart watch is like comparing the roof of a building to a tarp. Both will keep what's under dry, but they are not the same.

8 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

And can't those be met and efforts being made towards lightening the cars?

With existing materials, not really, no.

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I mean they could make everything out of carbon fibre and fibreglass but then itd be insanely expensive lol

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

9 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I mean they could make everything out of carbon fibre and fibreglass but then itd be insanely expensive lol

Fair enough. I'll just give up all hope on new light cars then. 80/90s junk it is.

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah and then repair costs would skyrocket too lol, throwing away whole vehicles.

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Fair enough. I'll just give up all hope on new light cars then. 80/90s junk it is.

Yep lol

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Herniated radiator.

That's a Corolla right? Looks super familiar 🤔

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 hour ago, dcgreen2k said:

That's a Corolla right? Looks super familiar 🤔

It is, 2005 I think.

Flooded Tesla EVs From Hurricane Ian Exploding All Over Florida (motorbiscuit.com)

Apparently, Lots of Tesla's are exploding in Florida. It seems after a storm, or serious flooding water is making contact with the batteries and causing violent, catastrophic and dangerous explosions. 

Also note - ICE cars don't have this problem. 

I could not find a direct video of them exploding in Florida. But I have included this video to demonstrate the point that Teslas are dangerous and should be banned in the united states. I would force every Tesla owner to return their vehicle. I would then use the worlds biggest shredder to destroy all of them to a eliminate a very real and very dangerous flaw: it's an electric car. Need I say anything more?

😄

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

EV’s are great, but they are going to drive up the cost of electricity

i did this just for the US; I tried doing worldwide but finding a total value of electricity produced worldwide is a bit hard for some reason:

theres 287 million cars in the US

if we take a 50Kwh Tesla which has 165 miles of range we can deduce it takes ~.3KWh to drive an electric car 1 mile

This means to drive every car in the US one mile via electricity we need 86,100,000kWh; or about 86GWh

the US produced about 4000 GWh last year (2021); regardless of source. (Found this here: https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us-generation-capacity-and-sales.php )

that means we only produce enough electricity to drive every car in the US on electricity at the same time about 46.5 miles in a year

and this isn’t factoring in that every other car is probably a big SUV that takes way more energy to drive 1 mile.

edit: misplaced decimal point 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1