Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, IPD said:

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, what a boring area you must live in.

I'll take boring over whatever you are on.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I thought that was common practice.  Like ducking a Jeep.

The idea is to use chalk, marker or even welds in the shape of a dick--in a place that won't be seen daily or easily accessed.  It's so that the next mechanic can appreciate the skills of the previous one's artistic abilities.  🤣

Anybody that welds a crude dick bead into an unsuspecting customers car deserves to eat their next dinner with bloody stumps instead of hands.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Good for you, here its bureaucracy-hell. Even if the part has a so called "e-number" you still need an engineer to make the modification plan and have it approved, then get a modification permit, take it to a service so they can make the modification (even if you are certified for the work you cant do it yourself), then take it to inspection where they check the modifications.... 🤦‍♂️

(Technically both of my vehicles were modiofied illegally. My car has a LED high beam, and my motorbike has a sports exhaust[it has a e-number so its road legal].)

Regulations are boring as hell, if only we could make our vehicles unsafe for ourselves, putting us in danger and other innocent people too 😩😩😩💯💯💯

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Regulations are boring as hell, if only we could make our vehicles unsafe for ourselves, putting us in danger and other innocent people too 😩😩😩💯💯💯

Aren't you the one who loves rolling coal though?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Aren't you the one who loves rolling coal though?

100% correct

4 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I was talking about road legal stuff..... (minus my car's high beam 😄 )

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

I was talking about road legal stuff..... (minus my car's high beam 😄 )

Yeah, I know, just taking the piss. There's plenty of stupid shit to complain about with Portugal's regulations as well.

Imagine a license system where driving capability was evaluated, and you were given permission to take certain roads at speeds that were faster than those with significantly lower driving capability. So older people with lengthened reaction times have to take the slower roads/lanes, and those of us who are familiar with our car's capabilities and our own capabilities can go significantly faster.

It's too expensive to set up, but man, what I wouldn't do to make that a thing.

13 hours ago, vetali said:

Anybody that welds a crude dick bead into an unsuspecting customers car deserves to eat their next dinner with bloody stumps instead of hands.

The forbidden ketchup

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

On 10/6/2022 at 9:12 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Imagine a license system where driving capability was evaluated, and you were given permission to take certain roads at speeds that were faster than those with significantly lower driving capability. So older people with lengthened reaction times have to take the slower roads/lanes, and those of us who are familiar with our car's capabilities and our own capabilities can go significantly faster.

It's too expensive to set up, but man, what I wouldn't do to make that a thing.

*comes around a corner and slams into old person* 

^ is why this would never work

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Like how your first thought was about slamming an old lady.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

ageist much

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

Like how your first thought was about slamming an old lady.

I think its the other way around nowadays with the no-effort electric bikes which unlike a motorbike dont require any licence but can go as fast as a small motorbike (50ccm category). We have a nickname for them: gliding death... (and no this is in no way meant to be a disrespect against old ppl)

Making good progress tonight finally after a slow start to the day, I was getting pretty frustrated that one of my ideas wasn't going to pan out so I went back to an earlier design I thought up. It's my least favorite but it'll work to get the car up and running, I can refine it later on and probably fit the gigachad 90mm pipe. Now I just want to get it running as soon as possible to sort out any problems before I drive it 2 hours away to a car meet at the end of October.

messages_0(7).jpeg

messages_0(6).jpeg

messages_0(5).jpeg

boom!
Hello and welcome to series of "broke student trying to repair a legend amongst JDM vehicles".

image.png.718b6b05516b8cdd45523ee5b2a6b609.png

JDM 1995 Toyota Mark II GX90 (7th gen) with a 2L l6 1G-GTE. after a colission with Toyota Aqua. Still works tho. 🙂

If ain't workin', break it and then call the tech support

Hate to say it but it looks like the front of that frame to at least the wheels is fucked sideways. Looks like you'd be better off getting one with a busted drivetrain and swapping your good engine into the other chassis.

Just now, Bitter said:

Hate to say it but it looks like the front of that frame to at least the wheels is fucked sideways. Looks like you'd be better off getting one with a busted drivetrain and swapping your good engine into the other chassis.

If not the strut bar, it would be much worse. The plan is to replace the front-end entirely, since it's pretty much possible.

I don't have much of a budget to buy another one, even with a blown engine or no engine entirely.

Just now, Sipuha said:

If not the strut bar, it would be much worse. The plan is to replace the front-end entirely, since it's pretty much possible.

I don't have much of a budget to buy another one, even with a blown engine or no engine entirely.

Be careful welding HSS, some of it doesn't take kindly to heat and will completely drop it's rigidity and some other steels don't penetrate very well to hold welds. I'd suggest not only welding at the cut area but also welding and probably riveting some steel gusset  plates overlapping the cut area. Please though, check your local laws about structural repair, it could be entirely illegal and then impossible to re-register the vehicle to drive it.

5 minutes ago, Sipuha said:

That spaghetti noodle piece of metal ain't gonna do crap against an impact hard enough to twist HSS.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Be careful welding HSS, some of it doesn't take kindly to heat and will completely drop it's rigidity and some other steels don't penetrate very well to hold welds. I'd suggest not only welding at the cut area but also welding and probably riveting some steel gusset  plates overlapping the cut area. Please though, check your local laws about structural repair, it could be entirely illegal and then impossible to re-register the vehicle to drive it.

it's kinda is illegal anyways, cause of the engine and other supporting mods (bucket seat, 4-point harness that pretty much left me intact after the impact, and, of course, steering wheel), since the car will be mostly used for track days after the repair, I don't really mind slapping several plates to the car anyways. Thanks for the suggestion!

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

That spaghetti noodle piece of metal ain't gonna do crap against an impact hard enough to twist HSS.

well it does look like a total noodle from the front view, but it's pretty wide. If not the bar, the front would look like a triangle rather than a trapezoid.

5 minutes ago, Sipuha said:

well it does look like a total noodle from the front view, but it's pretty wide. If not the bar, the front would look like a triangle rather than a trapezoid.

Nah, what stopped the bend were the strut towers themselves and all the extra layers of steel and bracing going on there.