Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 hours ago, vetali said:

I got a better one. Tweaker stole a cat off a used F350 v10. I had to do the safety inspection on it. Full sent it

Ignore the vertical orientation. I recorded it horizontally, but apparently anything below 60 seconds gets the vertical treatment because #shorts

To be fair, anything except the turbo diesel NEEDS full send to get those behemoths moving. Yes, screw Youtube for not giving an opt-out for that feature.

Well, I guess I’m back for my yearly check in. Tundra is doing good. 267k and climbing. Here’s how she stands.  I also picked up a tow pig a few months back, a 1998 24v dually tuned and built to 350ish HP.

still looking for an old mr2 as a fun car. No luck currently. Market is too hot.

B5016F93-FC61-4F30-8847-EC668F2759CD.jpeg

FD257DCC-2666-4BFC-81FE-B2B723D4F3E3.jpeg

53FE925A-D785-4ED1-814F-9A10EC945398.jpeg

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

54 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

still looking for an old mr2 as a fun car. No luck currently. Market is too hot.

speaking of which, my teacher has an mr2

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Well, I guess I’m back for my yearly check in. Tundra is doing good. 267k and climbing. Here’s how she stands.  I also picked up a tow pig a few months back, a 1998 24v dually tuned and built to 350ish HP.

I'm assuming you sold the Accord. Tundra is looking good 😄

Good luck with the MR2, you're either getting a numpty or overpaying for something decent.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I'm assuming you sold the Accord. Tundra is looking good 😄

Good luck with the MR2, you're either getting a numpty or overpaying for something decent.

yep, exactly.

yeah, I sold the accord to my little brother. It still lives on, and he's loving it. I'm in construction, so a lowered car doesn't really have a place right now.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I can has CANBUS?

Honda B-CAN issues? throw a MICU at it. Works 100% of the time it works.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

30 minutes ago, vetali said:

Honda B-CAN issues? throw a MICU at it. Works 100% of the time it works.

IMG_20211008_094401.thumb.jpg.4471196044319a7ce98f5561312d6100.jpg

Nah, 2015 Durango with an a PAC stereo interface, PAC wasn't playing nice with the CANBUS C in the vehicle. Wasn't like pulling the voltages down or up or anything like that easy to ID, nope. It was talking TOO much, CANBUS C was just an absolute mess with no wait states just constant talk. Modules were dropping in and out of comm as I'm scanning the car. One moment the ECM isn't there, then the ESM (electronic shifter) isn't there, then they're back, then ABS is missing, etc. Once I unplugged that and plugged everything back in it all works normally. I'd like to see a little cleaner voltage on CAN+ but it's working so that's enough, not even sure how clean it normally is. It was so bad the thing sometimes couldn't even complete cranking the engine to start, you'd push the button and it would crank a moment then stop, sometimes 3-4 times in a row before the car could talk amongst the modules enough to agree to let the engine crank long enough to start lol.

Owner bought it off his friend as-is for $10K, took the 30" wheels off, left in the stereo, another shop just shrugged at it and was like "we read some codes but we don't know it probably needs 'the computer' replaced". When I was talking to him the other day he's like 'bro I dunno what a canbus even is but you know what you're talking about'. I'm 99% sure he thought I said cannibus at first.

Dude had the bass knob switched to "interfere with everything"

30 inch wheels though. How did the v6 manage to get those things rolling? I never see V8 3rd gen rangos.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

Dude had the bass knob switched to "interfere with everything"

30 inch wheels though. How did the v6 manage to get those things rolling? I never see V8 3rd gen rangos.

Haha kinda yeah!

This one is the 'Citadel' trim which has the Hemi V8, this one has a good tick that I think is exhaust but once I'm done I need to look at that better to be sure. If it's lifter tick then he's got a time bomb on his hands and it needs lifters and a cam like yesterday. Monday I need to plug the OE amp back in and re-check comms, that should be on CAN IHS which is the low speed non mission critical stuff so I don't anticipate problems. As soon as I know that I can get some of his stuff back in the car (the 100lb Power XS 7500 battery is just so fun!) and connected as it was, finish up the bill, and see how apart he wants the dash left for taking it over to an audio place to let them figure out why the PAC isn't working properly. If we're digging into that it's going to get expensive, I'll bill for time I spend on the phone with them about it. I suspect it's just a bad module since the application is correct for the year/vehicle. I just don't have enough experience with these to confidently state that the PAC module is 'bad' or 'incompatible', but I can get it all unhooked if he wants to send it out to PAC for warranty swap or repair or however that's handled. As far as I'm concerned, my part is done. I found the problems and eliminated the problem, aftermarket additions are outside my scope of repair unless they've got some really good detailed description of operation and diagrams with them. I don't mess around with no mystery box!

Another fun one, 16 Escape base-ass model with 2.5L, crank no start no spark. Firebridgestone said they had a 'cam code' and it got towed to us with coil codes from the compression test they said it failed well duh it's cold and flooded with gas. Cam sensor isn't making signal but has power and ground, swap in a new cam sensor and same problem. Ford has this thing ID'd as both VREF and VBPWR depending where you look. Wiring diagram says VREF but C174E ECM pinout says it's VBPWR. VREF is 5V and VBPWR is 12V. De-pinned the sensor output so I can scope it without possible ECM pull down on the signal and all I get is a slight voltage drop from battery voltage of 11.5 when cranking down to about 10.5 on the sensor output, the same rippling voltage that I see going in because cranking but just 1 volt lower. WEIRD STUFF. Hook up the old sensor in the vice with +12,GND, and a wire on the sensor output and wave a big bolt around in front of it and get zero action from it. Have the new sensor plugged in and key on, wave a big bolt in front of it and zero action from it either, both just sit at about .6 volts. Magically when the cam wheel goes past it spits out 10.5. Should be a square signal toggling the B+ up and down between 2 and 8 volts according to some info from Snap-on scran tool. Very frustrated by this one, all signs pointed toward dead sensor with no signal coming out. Maybe I got a bad brand new Ford Motorcraft part, but that's unlikely. Odd that the cam wheel makes it spit out 10.5V but waving metal around past the sensor does nothing it just sits at 0.6V. Cam wheel is present, had teeth, and I can't move it around with my finger on the cam so it's not loose in there. Cam is turning with the engine. 120PSI compression is present on Cyl 4. Got great continuity from the CMP power terminal to the ECM on the same wire, gotta check the 'sig rtn' ground on Monday. When I check power and sig rtn together with the meter they come up with a total of about 0.4 volts, when I check them separately they come up as 12V and 0.1 volts (or ground basically) which according to Ford test DR you check VBPWR to ground but you check VREF to SIGRTN, so depending how I check it my answer changes so either I have good power or I don't. Ford, get your shit together and label things correctly and consistently because you're making my head hurt...literally.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002553550868.html

I bought a stupid tool! I did similar with a pipe and vice grip to evaluate how this tool might function and honestly it worked really well, except the bare pipe slipped on the rack. This should be better with the chunky rubber sleeve on it and longer length. It lets you shift the tire around with vehicle weight on it in ways that the vehicle would shift the wheel around when driving, I was able to quickly locate a bad sound in a LandRover suspension from a weak bushing that wasn't torn and visually looked fairly OK but knocked hard under braking. Shaking the wheel side to side would not duplicate the noise.

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002553550868.html

I bought a stupid tool! I did similar with a pipe and vice grip to evaluate how this tool might function and honestly it worked really well, except the bare pipe slipped on the rack. This should be better with the chunky rubber sleeve on it and longer length. It lets you shift the tire around with vehicle weight on it in ways that the vehicle would shift the wheel around when driving, I was able to quickly locate a bad sound in a LandRover suspension from a weak bushing that wasn't torn and visually looked fairly OK but knocked hard under braking. Shaking the wheel side to side would not duplicate the noise.

Stop funding China /s 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Finally picked up my new ride on friday!

will remain stock until spring 2022

bae.JPG

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

13 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

Finally picked up my new ride on friday!

will remain stock until spring 2022

Thats pretty sweet! What do you plan on doing to it in spring of 2022? 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

23 minutes ago, XGoodGuyFitz said:

What do you plan on doing

Nothing special tbh. It's kind of difficult here in Austria to mod and still be street legal. 

I'll lower it by 3cm, go get some nice bronze BBS XR wheels that are a lil wider to get better fitment, and change the exhaust to give it a lil more character and to have 10cm exhausttips instead of 6cm now. 

Some minor things will be wrapped... 

That's pretty much it. 

I just want to make my little grocery getter stand out a small bit ^^

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

Just tried the new Tesla Car Wash mode for the first time, wow!

Car Wash mode was added along with mirror auto-dim, disney+, and some improvements to Sentry Mode. All free over the air software updates. It's the first car I've had that actually gets better with age!

Anyway, car wash mode - it's just off the service menu. Tap on "car wash mode" and it

- keeps the speed below 10mph

- charge port door: locked

- walk-away door lock: off

- automatic wipers: off

- parking assist chimes: off

- sentry mode: off

- climate: recirculating

- frunk: closed

- trunk: closed

There's a button to fold mirrors, and screen clean mode, and to enable free-roll (for automatic car washes that need that)

When you're done, you exit car wash mode and everything's set back to your driver preferences.

Really slick.

Wish other car manufactures would get with the program and give out free software updates that extend the car's functionality.

40 minutes ago, willies leg said:

car wash mode

How did car owners cope for the past 100 years without this feature 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

But you know, at least the car has received Disney+ as an update...

Streaming services and such features have no place in a car in my opinion. 

Imagine being rear ended by someone distracted watching Frozen going down the road

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Is the used car market really that bad these days? Here in Europe the news states that possibly because of the pandemic used cars are expensive and easily get sold out. Some used car dealer they interviewed claimed to only have 25% of the usual stock.

I had a look online and many types of cars I'm interested in are not on there or doubled in price. It's just sad.

Is it like this worldwide? Do you think it will get back to normal or these cars will stay inflated? I just hope it's get quieter again on the used car market as before, so we can pick up those niche models.

3 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

How did car owners cope for the past 100 years without this feature 

I really don't know. Probably just dumb luck? Just turning the climate to recirculate is common sense, isn't it?

I'll tell you what, it's great they think like a software company. Can't wait to see what's next!

I mean, only took a few years for Tesla to realize people wash their cars

My question is, how and why is that even a "feature"? Just goes to show how dumb cars are built currently

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Or is it Tesla just worked out their clientele can't wash a car without a bit of help....."hi is that the Tesla customer service? I was washing my car with the boot open and now my light don't work"  😉

Pete

30 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I mean, only took a few years for Tesla to realize people wash their cars

My question is, how and why is that even a "feature"? Just goes to show how dumb cars are built currently

No it goes to show just how dumb people are currently. 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!