Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just went for a spirited drive in the Miata. I haven’t driven it in about a month. Haven’t driven it spiritedly in quite a while.

I’m so out of practice at driving quickly it’s stupid. Need to put a hitch on the egg and get a trailer and go do a track day or something 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

18 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How about a couple of turbos

I mean, I've got 3 or 4 TD04s *somewhere* 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

saw this. Instead of beating on a rotor with a hammer you can just pass some

bolts through the caliper mounting brackets and use them to push the disc off the hub.

seems like a cool trick/idea never thought of doing it that way.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Quad turbo build 

Spoiler

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Just went for a spirited drive in the Miata. I haven’t driven it in about a month. Haven’t driven it spiritedly in quite a while.

I’m so out of practice at driving quickly it’s stupid. Need to put a hitch on the egg and get a trailer and go do a track day or something 

Drive it to the track and drive it back home, don't be a pussy. 😛

8 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Stack em through the hood.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, JoaoPRSousa said:

Nice! Like to see the old stuff get some love. 1.8T swap would be lovely, for sure. I don't know how hard it is to do but it would be a much better base and probably more reliable and easier to get parts, talking maintenance here. Keep us updated!

The 1.8T found in the 150hp Audi A4 and Passat's (2000 and earlier) is actually a direct bolt in. Then just wiring the harness (or a plug and play adapter) and it's set. The stock trans can be used, but the trans from the A4/Passat also bolts right in. 

It makes it a little more difficult to find a good donor car (far more Golf/Jetta motors laying around), but I really just need to find a donor car and go for it. 

There's a part of me that wants to keep the 8v going for the sake of how long its survived, but with a turbo upgrade and the right tune on a 1.8, it would be a wickedly quick car for what it is.

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

bolts through the caliper mounting brackets and use them to push the disc off the hub.

On anything thats too rusty its very likely to bend/break the caliper mounting ears. Doesn't take much force to start bending them. Saw someone here snap one off a knuckle doing a wheel bearing going full gorilla with the press.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

On anything thats too rusty its very likely to bend/break the caliper mounting ears. Doesn't take much force to start bending them. Saw someone here snap one off a knuckle doing a wheel bearing going full gorilla with the press.

I guess that’s true. Prob wouldn’t hurt to put some pressure on it then start wacking the rotor if it’s that bad 

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

TIL they're weaker than I assumed.

3 hours ago, Colty said:

The 1.8T found in the 150hp Audi A4 and Passat's (2000 and earlier) is actually a direct bolt in. Then just wiring the harness (or a plug and play adapter) and it's set. The stock trans can be used, but the trans from the A4/Passat also bolts right in. 

It makes it a little more difficult to find a good donor car (far more Golf/Jetta motors laying around), but I really just need to find a donor car and go for it. 

There's a part of me that wants to keep the 8v going for the sake of how long its survived, but with a turbo upgrade and the right tune on a 1.8, it would be a wickedly quick car for what it is.

Oh wow, was not expecting that regarding the engine swap! I probably would go for the swap and just give it a few upgrades, and yeah, that thing would rip.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Why not just buy a Bugatti Veyron? I know, it's a little more expensive...

Obvi price is no issue

Lack of LS however issue

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Oh, that cheap 8cyl stuff. Bugatti's 16cyl go brrr.

But if you attach two LS engines together you see? 

Spoiler

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yes, but no. Easy to bend the ears and cause brake problems.

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Yep! I've seen a few bent ears probably from this trick.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I guess that’s true. Prob wouldn’t hurt to put some pressure on it then start wacking the rotor if it’s that bad 

Pressure is fine, but you gotta know the line between too much and just enough. The problem with cast metals is once they bend they don't really bend back and are very weakened where they've been bent.

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

TIL they're weaker than I assumed.

They're weak in a direction they're not engineered to be strong in, yes. In the direction that the brakes apply force they're pretty strong!

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

They're weak in a direction they're not engineered to be strong in, yes. In the direction that the brakes apply force they're pretty strong!

Time to install some flaps for strength ofc

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Time to install some flaps for strength ofc

Welding cast metals can be difficult, but it's possible.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

image.jpeg.3758558ac63fa1b8f0dc39087775246b.jpeg

I've had a few instances over the years where someone told me they "welded it" and I found it epoxied to shit and still broken/leaking. "Awh yeah I used that coltwelt to seal up the adirator, it be fine just get it running"

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've had a few instances over the years where someone told me they "welded it" and I found it epoxied to shit and still broken/leaking. "Awh yeah I used that coltwelt to seal up the adirator, it be fine just get it running"

I unfortunately find that absolutely hilarious knowing there's a lot of limits to JB Weld. I love the memes about it, but I probably wouldn't use it for a whole lot anyways in the first place.

23 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I unfortunately find that absolutely hilarious knowing there's a lot of limits to JB Weld. I love the memes about it, but I probably wouldn't use it for a whole lot anyways in the first place.

It’s funny cause yes it’s super strong but usually there’s always just a better solution. Very rarely does it make sense to actually use JB weld for anything other than a temporary fix 

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’s funny cause yes it’s super strong but usually there’s always just a better solution. Very rarely does it make sense to actually use JB weld for anything other than a temporary fix 

It's cheap enough I'd use it for simple quick shit to mock something up

But only if I didn't have one of a dozen bottles of glue available.

53 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It has uses. I used some to epoxy a 6W LED to some aluminum L stock as a heat sink to make a Halloween inflatable more to my GF's liking. Bright white instead of dim flashing RGB. Probably been ok without heat sinking it but longevity eh? I used some today to repair a 79 Buick window switch panel that was suffering from being old and broke. Now it's old and broke but it's holding together.

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's cheap enough I'd use it for simple quick shit to mock something up

But only if I didn't have one of a dozen bottles of glue available.

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I used it to fix that cracked engine block on the pilot I posted a few months ago. Lasted long enough for the person to sell it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra