Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

21 hours ago, Colty said:

Thought I would pop in here with my current project.

Considering a 1.8T swap (as most owners of older liquid cooled VW's do), but this is my 8v 1.7l '82 Scirocco. Mono-wiper and all!

I've gone through a long list of things on it. The odometer isn't working, but it's been at 196k for some time. This is definitely a survivor and looks the part.

Nice! Like to see the old stuff get some love. 1.8T swap would be lovely, for sure. I don't know how hard it is to do but it would be a much better base and probably more reliable and easier to get parts, talking maintenance here. Keep us updated!

11 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Also yeah snagged it

Ls WhEn

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

V6 with chains done recently. Woulda preferred the V8, but for the price I got it at, couldn't really beat it. Especially for something with 4wd

Your explorer would destroy my Touareg off road

see this is why I should of got one of the older ones 😂 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

no one has gasoline here still geez 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Mobile won't let me delete the quote, I clicked by accident and now I'm just stuck with it.

Edited by Bitter

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

So water heater up there burst today at work. So that was fun.

-snip-

image.gif.b009b2385fb13f49c98f1beb8364dfe4.gifFirst thing I thought of lol

Spoiler

That would have been much cooler than what happened.

Something on the bottom gave out, it's about 20yrs old the boss thinks. I had my arms elbow deep in the door of a 79 Riv doing a window motor when I heard this loud wooshing sound that was an octave or two lower than an air hose ought to be. After a minute I didn't hear the compressor come on so it's probably not air and it's getting a little louder so I go look outside thinking maybe an AC line blew on one of the old cars (it happened once before with a plow truck!!), nope. Also not the city bus driving past either. So I go up there and look around, finally I see the water guushing out of the thing and into the cinderblock wall. We got it all shut off, valve to the tank was stuck so I screamed for the boss and he grabbed the main shutoff (there's like 3 valves on the line and I didn't know what was what down there) then I got the water heater valve off with a pipe wrench, got a hose on it and got it drained out. He grabbed a new unit in the afternoon and we'll dick around getting it in on Tuesday probably, or at least lifted up there. Darn thing weighs almost as much as I do so that'll be fun. Gotta make a little sled with some scrap lumber in the shop and pull it up the ladder probably or at least use a timber as a stop and push it up a rung at a time. It's a little shorter than the old one but we'll make it work.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:36 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

The moment that V6 grenades itself

I do have a LQ9 sitting in storage  🤷

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

32 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I do have a LQ9 sitting in storage  🤷

How about a couple of turbos

I picked up this beauty today. 1988 Mercedes 190, 105 hp, almost 350000 km, manual.

Will be fun to drive in the winter, i hope.

I'll keep the mossy exterior. 

20210905_155337.thumb.jpg.5068cffd56deb983d0138879e47d6b49.jpg

20210905_155415.thumb.jpg.bef236d488247b73083162ee9ab32eee.jpg

20210905_152413.thumb.jpg.50d4f043c8a549a3563c98c8a975bb5a.jpg

Eco-friendly, lol.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

48 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

I picked up this beauty today. 1988 Mercedes 190, 105 hp, almost 350000 km, manual.

Will be fun to drive in the winter, i hope.

I'll keep the mossy exterior.

Eco-friendly, lol.

Which engine?

Not sure if you have this 'trend' there but sometimes people here intentionally distress an older car's exterior and then toss a coat of semi-gloss or flat clear over it so it keeps that look without actually rusting out. Might be fun to do with that, not that you can seal the moss in but distress it and seal it to make a fake patina on it.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Which engine?

Not sure if you have this 'trend' there but sometimes people here intentionally distress an older car's exterior and then toss a coat of semi-gloss or flat clear over it so it keeps that look without actually rusting out. Might be fun to do with that, not that you can seal the moss in but distress it and seal it to make a fake patina on it.

It's M102, 4 cyl 2.0 105 hp non cat, carburetor. Not a lot of power but the engine runs so smooth, there is no wierd sunds or strange vibrations. 

Im going to look into how i can preserv the moss, the body is over all good from rust, it has been driven by an old lady up north where they don't put salt on the roads.

I'll "kill" the little rust there is with vinegar to begin with and take it from there.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Got a bronco as a rental and it’s actually pretty nice. A lot smaller than I thought it would be even for this specific variant

It’s like Honda CRV sized

BCE82E2E-0970-4BC0-9D04-CED2E439C437.thumb.jpeg.dbb4e60208632f541ef82ac29555c0e6.jpeg

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

Got a bronco as a rental and it’s actually pretty nice. A lot smaller than I thought it would be even for this specific variant

It’s like Honda CRV sized

BCE82E2E-0970-4BC0-9D04-CED2E439C437.thumb.jpeg.dbb4e60208632f541ef82ac29555c0e6.jpeg

Does it have a CD holder?

24 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Is the interior sensible to use in person?

I don’t like dial shifters but it’s ok. It’s roomier than it looks in there, everything is kind of where you expect it to be.

But again, middle console dial shifter, just the worst idea. I don’t drink anything besides water when driving but I can only imagine the aftermath of spilling the chad American 52oz Diet Coke into the center and forever having a sticky shift.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Does it have a CD holder?

It’s 2021, no car has a CD holder let alone a CD player and hasn’t in about a decade.

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I don’t like dial shifters but it’s ok. It’s roomier than it looks in there, everything is kind of where you expect it to be.

But again, middle console dial shifter, just the worst idea. I don’t drink anything besides water when driving but I can only imagine the aftermath of spilling the chad American 52oz Diet Coke into the center and forever having a sticky shift.

It’s 2021, no car has a CD holder let alone a CD player and hasn’t in about a decade.

Well *someone* here will be very upset about this.

Good news, Diet drinks don't get sticky because they don't have corn syrup. Or not nearly as sticky as regular soda gets. I also dislike the dial shifters, it doesn't feel very intuitive but I get that it frees up a lot of space and mechanically is much more simple to implement. It does however mean that the trans isn't connected to the shifter and that means dead battery leaves the car stuck in park without some mucking about usually, hopefully Ford made getting it from park with a dead battery very easy!

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Good news, Diet drinks don't get sticky because they don't have corn syrup. Or not nearly as sticky as regular soda gets. I also dislike the dial shifters, it doesn't feel very intuitive but I get that it frees up a lot of space and mechanically is much more simple to implement. It does however mean that the trans isn't connected to the shifter and that means dead battery leaves the car stuck in park without some mucking about usually, hopefully Ford made getting it from park with a dead battery very easy!

did we really gain anything by moving from mechanical shifters to electronic? 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I’m less concerned about the shifter like this and more concerned about a non mechanical parking brake.

My Impala can’t shift without power, that’s been an issue for a long time on most semi modern cars. But it still has at least a proper mechanical ratcheting pedal parking brake.

This and a few other new cars I’ve driven have a little button pull lever sort of thing and it’s all electrical.

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Yes, but don't ask me what. I guess the car putting itself in park when you turn it off is pretty good. We'd still have Anton Yelchin if his Jeep had this feature, I myself almost got fucked by a Jeep that wasn't all the way in park. The park detent didn't catch and it sprung into reverse as I was reaching out the window and taking my foot off the brake. I caught it but not before it almost hit a tool box in the shop and the mirror knocked some stuff off it. Jeep needs to get their shit together. Also had a Ford F250 with a gated park on the column shift do this to me, I pushed it up and assumed it stops in park at the top like one would assume but no, you need to pull it back or push it forward to get past the gate to park.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Space and design flexibility?

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

I’m less concerned about the shifter like this and more concerned about a non mechanical parking brake.

Welp. That's annoying as all hell.