Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

2017 Tucson bought 3 months ago, 52K miles. Ran it out of oil, added oil and started driving again. Bang. Long block is disco from the dealer, just short blocks. Looking for used so she can run it out of oil again.

IMG_20210830_110750.thumb.jpg.c33c5cf81822e45eaf5b6d99ecdfeb7f.jpg

Someone got their timing set wrong LOL!

IMG_20210830_111556.thumb.jpg.7c9c315d2b1e0f1d77c86dc5a83d61ad.jpg

“I don’t need oil changes I’ll just change the engine every 3-4 years” lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

2017 Tucson bought 3 months ago, 52K miles. Ran it out of oil, added oil and started driving again. Bang. Long block is disco from the dealer, just short blocks. Looking for used so she can run it out of oil again.

52k miles is pretty good for a Hyundai motor.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

52k miles is pretty good for a Hyundai motor.

Got a 2017 Elantra dropped off in the afternoon, looks like a similar story but they just got an oil change 2 days ago. I see a lot of oil under the engine and maybe some metal debris, I gotta get the panel off under it and get a better look. Thinking maybe they waited till it ran out of oil then got an oil change then it went pop.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Got a 2017 Elantra dropped off in the afternoon, looks like a similar story but they just got an oil change 2 days ago. I see a lot of oil under the engine and maybe some metal debris, I gotta get the panel off under it and get a better look. Thinking maybe they waited till it ran out of oil then got an oil change then it went pop.

Been trying to kill my engine. Has had a knock since 1.5k, now at 6k. Been driving it hard. Knock getting worse, but hasn't exploded. Gonna be taking it up with the district manager tomorrow as I also have a rear door rusting from a paint defect.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

46 minutes ago, vetali said:

Been trying to kill my engine. Has had a knock since 1.5k, now at 6k. Been driving it hard. Knock getting worse, but hasn't exploded. Gonna be taking it up with the district manager tomorrow as I also have a rear door rusting from a paint defect.

Is it that VCM bridge thing? We get some nasty rattles from failing/failed belt tensioners when they get up past 100K.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Is it that VCM bridge thing? We get some nasty rattles from failing/failed belt tensioners when they get up past 100K.

No its definitely a metallic knock. The phone doesn't pick it up well. The timing belt tensioner noise is pretty different. These motors have issues with lost motion springs on the rocker assembly but those are a tap noise, not a knock.

3 hours ago, vetali said:

No its definitely a metallic knock. The phone doesn't pick it up well. The timing belt tensioner noise is pretty different. These motors have issues with lost motion springs on the rocker assembly but those are a tap noise, not a knock.

Gross, well I hope it fails under warranty soon!

Front desk spent almost 90 minutes with the broken starter guy going in circles and trying to explain the concept of a core fee to him and that we do not take outside parts. I got called in to repeat what she said because I have a penis and that makes me more correct somehow. Boss is off today getting deep throated (has a constricted esphogas autocorrect isn't helping any lol). I repeat line for line what she's told him. He rambles on about how he can't work and they don't pay him enough and if I had a new car and I took a part off and someone told me I had to pay $50 to buy the part but it's a new part why would I pay to have my part that's brand new and just making no sense at all like I think this guy just talks until people get sick of him and give him what he wants to make him go away and we have no idea how he got this old being this dense. He finally left, gonna come talk to the boss tomorrow. No exceptions when the boss is gone, not my business!

12 hours ago, vetali said:

thats always a fun game to play. I remember my parents fighting for over a year to get our VW motor rebuilt, it burned so much oil and even after they rebuilt it, it still burned 1-2QTs of oil on a 600 mile trip.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Couldn't get a picture of the engine on the 17 Elantra, but rod knocked a hole out the front and broke the starter. 110K miles, I'm guessing ran it low or out of oil and then went and got an oil change because the new oil is dark already. It's getting towed out tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Gross, well I hope it fails under warranty soon!

Front desk spent almost 90 minutes with the broken starter guy going in circles and trying to explain the concept of a core fee to him and that we do not take outside parts. I got called in to repeat what she said because I have a penis and that makes me more correct somehow. Boss is off today getting deep throated (has a constricted esphogas autocorrect isn't helping any lol). I repeat line for line what she's told him. He rambles on about how he can't work and they don't pay him enough and if I had a new car and I took a part off and someone told me I had to pay $50 to buy the part but it's a new part why would I pay to have my part that's brand new and just making no sense at all like I think this guy just talks until people get sick of him and give him what he wants to make him go away and we have no idea how he got this old being this dense. He finally left, gonna come talk to the boss tomorrow. No exceptions when the boss is gone, not my business!

Oh they better do something about it. Sounds like if theres metal in the pan they just do a new long block. Thats like 9k dollars right there. Likely gotta wait for the district manager to make a trip down here. They doing everything remote again unless for cases like this. On the topic of VCM, I finally did plugs on one of these newer v6s at 110k. This is the person that never takes care of their car, but the timing belt was making a chirp noise (theres a bulletin on it with a kit to install). So they okayed a full service. All the plugs looked very clean. Not oil soaked like the older VCM generations. So seems like they finally figured it out.

I dealt with customers at my old shop when the "owner" went jerkin off for the day and left me the shop to run. Its why I swore I wouldn't be an advisor.

8 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

thats always a fun game to play. I remember my parents fighting for over a year to get our VW motor rebuilt, it burned so much oil and even after they rebuilt it, it still burned 1-2QTs of oil on a 600 mile trip.

I also work at Honda, so that helps a bit. I just don't wana slap bearings in it like Honda wants us to do. I will turn around and trade it in (probably for a profit) if thats the fix they okay.

43 minutes ago, vetali said:

Oh they better do something about it. Sounds like if theres metal in the pan they just do a new long block. Thats like 9k dollars right there. Likely gotta wait for the district manager to make a trip down here. They doing everything remote again unless for cases like this. On the topic of VCM, I finally did plugs on one of these newer v6s at 110k. This is the person that never takes care of their car, but the timing belt was making a chirp noise (theres a bulletin on it with a kit to install). So they okayed a full service. All the plugs looked very clean. Not oil soaked like the older VCM generations. So seems like they finally figured it out.

I dealt with customers at my old shop when the "owner" went jerkin off for the day and left me the shop to run. Its why I swore I wouldn't be an advisor.

I also work at Honda, so that helps a bit. I just don't wana slap bearings in it like Honda wants us to do. I will turn around and trade it in (probably for a profit) if thats the fix they okay.

I've got some metal from those Hyundai's if you need me to mail you some. Ah yeah, I've ran across the chirp thing, something about a washer to align the something better if needed. I remember it, just don't remember it. We're such a small shop that everyone kind of does a little bit of everything, girl at the desk will come bleed brakes or do stuff in the car if we need it. She's got bigger balls than most of the customers and probably fucked more women than any of them have.

Thought I would pop in here with my current project.

Considering a 1.8T swap (as most owners of older liquid cooled VW's do), but this is my 8v 1.7l '82 Scirocco. Mono-wiper and all!

I've gone through a long list of things on it. The odometer isn't working, but it's been at 196k for some time. This is definitely a survivor and looks the part.  20210730_181851.thumb.jpg.ce0aed8738e0ff8cc953a8b243e22ac4.jpg

is rockauto.com a good place to by replacement radiators?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 8/23/2021 at 9:48 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Whats on the wishlist? 

Looking at cheap beaters honestly until the market normalizes a bit. Gonna go look at an 05 Explorer XLT later today

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, The King of the Undead said:

is rockauto.com a good place to by replacement radiators?

Bought a couple denso rads from them and they turned up And worked fine 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Bought a couple denso rads from them and they turned up And worked fine 

thanks

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

Looking at cheap beaters honestly until the market normalizes a bit. Gonna go look at an 05 Explorer XLT later today

You mean buying one and putting 37s on it immediately

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You mean buying one and putting 37s on it immediately

33s fit with a 3 inch lift 

Also yeah snagged it

20210901_184943.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

53 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

33s fit with a 3 inch lift 

Also yeah snagged it

Mmmmmm V6 timing chains or V8 spitting out spark plugs.

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We discussed that in discord, its the v6 and has had chains done recently. So all he has to worry about is lower thermostat housing leaks lol.

27 minutes ago, vetali said:

We discussed that in discord, its the v6 and has had chains done recently. So all he has to worry about is lower thermostat housing leaks lol.

Just go nuts with Hondabond and call it a day /s 

Spoiler

If y’all in the market for flood cars, I hear New York/New Jersey is about to “flood” the market with them lol 

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, vetali said:

Lucky! That 4.0 is otherwise pretty bullet proof and runs really nicely. Uses to see dirty injectors cause poopy idle but that's an easy fix!

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Just go nuts with Hondabond and call it a day /s 

My solution to life

Just now, Bitter said:

Lucky! That 4.0 is otherwise pretty bullet proof and runs really nicely. Uses to see dirty injectors cause poopy idle but that's an easy fix!

Yep they are very good aside from those things. Unfortunately the timing chains are enough to total most the rigs they are in. Old push rod version was great.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

V6 with chains done recently. Woulda preferred the V8, but for the price I got it at, couldn't really beat it. Especially for something with 4wd