Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, Benji said:

IIRC the real reliability issues from the DQ200 arose/still arise due to the fact that these are dry clutches and not the typical wet clutches. And given the fact that these engines fully exploit the 250Nm rating, I wouldn't go for any DQ200-featuring engine configuration and I think it hasn't been "fixed" as there isn't a fix for that.

There aren't any wet clutch gearbox cars sold here, it's either a dry DCT or a torque converter.

7 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Let me put it to you this way, bearing in mind it's a family car. Would you rather get the far safer car which is sold worldwide (thus proving it's actually safe), or the more 'reliable' one, with a worse safety rating, and which isn't sold in western markets? 🙂

You looked at the Mazda CX-5?

To be fair, neither of these cars is sold in western markets. The Skoda Kushaq is the Indian version of the Skoda Kamiq, and the VW Taigun is the Indian version fo the Volkwagen T-cross. Skoda's almost single-handedly responsible for making Indian cars safer though, so the assumption is they won't skimp on the car's build quality. 

Mazda doesn't sell cars here, Toyota only sells India-spec, crappy cars, and Honda's pretty much pulling out of the car market to focus on bikes. 

There are two Indian companies that make somewhat safe cars, but they're all diesels and those are quickly becoming illegal to own because of pollution laws.

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

The lightbar is very Audi like, 

your used to seeing audis, here in the states (i) dont like audis because literally all their water pumps fail and other stuff

11 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

your used to seeing audis, here in the states (i) dont like audis because literally all their water pumps fail and other stuff

?wut

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

2 minutes ago, IKnight said:

?wut

screw that back to fucking is500

3 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

waterpumps fail on literally anything, its not an audi specific failure

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

, its not an audi specific failure

the major problem is the price, in us

2 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

i am starting to think that you dont even understand what you are talking about

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i am starting to think that you dont even understand what you are talking about

i think your right

1 hour ago, FakeFBI said:

i think your right

I swear every post you make confuses me more and more. 

On another note, thoughts on an R53 Cooper S?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

36 minutes ago, IKnight said:

I swear every post you make confuses me more and more. 

On another note, thoughts on an R53 Cooper S?

Fun car, engine can give you trouble though. It's an early THP 1.6 Prince engine (Peugeot & BMW). Had some issues (carbonized valves due to direct injection and timing chain often fails) that were mostly solved in the later versions of that engine (2014 and on should be better).

Don't know if there are other common issues with the R53. They are very enjoying to drive, especially on twisty backroads.

If you're planning on swapping the engine: the e-THP 270 (EP6FDTR/EP6CDTR) is a Peugeot Sport version of the engine, turbocharged and pushing out around 270 bhp and 330 Nm torque. Has Mahle forged pistons, better crank, different head design and extra oil squirters for cooling. Kept it a 1.6 L,  170 bhp/L from factory 😍. Was used in the 308 GTi and RCZ R. Super nice engine. A used one will set you back €3000-5000. If you can find one.

Wi RoZ

1 hour ago, Wi RoZ said:

Fun car, engine can give you trouble though. It's an early THP 1.6 Prince engine (Peugeot & BMW). Had some issues (carbonized valves due to direct injection and timing chain often fails) that were mostly solved in the later versions of that engine (2014 and on should be better).

Don't know if there are other common issues with the R53. They are very enjoying to drive, especially on twisty backroads.

If you're planning on swapping the engine: the e-THP 270 (EP6FDTR/EP6CDTR) is a Peugeot Sport version of the engine, turbocharged and pushing out around 270 bhp and 330 Nm torque. Has Mahle forged pistons, better crank, different head design and extra oil squirters for cooling. Kept it a 1.6 L,  170 bhp/L from factory 😍. Was used in the 308 GTi and RCZ R. Super nice engine. A used one will set you back €3000-5000. If you can find one.

You're thinking R56.

R53s were supercharged

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

55 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

You're thinking R56.

R53s were supercharged

No, same block. One's supercharged, one's turbocharged. The 1.6 THP was available as N/A, supercharged and turbocharged versions. Sure, if you swap the supercharged one with a turbocharged version you'll need a different intake and exhaust but engine size won't differ much and mounting points for engine and gearbox should be the same. 

Was wrong, R53 has Tritec engine, thx @iDeFecZx

Edited by Wi RoZ

Wi RoZ

Not planning on swapping any engines lmao. Just want a kinda fun first car that won't give me much trouble. I'm mostly looking for an 04-06 car, supercharged. 🙂

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Hey car people of LTT! Looking for a new car for my family - a compact SUV/crossover, and we've narrowed it down to 2 cars.

The first is the upcoming Indian version of the Skoda Kamiq / VW T-cross, with the 1.5, 150hp TSI engine. However they come with the formerly problematic DQ200 DSG gearbox, which used to have reliability issues. Even without the reliability issues, it's rated for 185 lb-ft of torque, and that's what the car produces. Not sure I like the car running along at the maximum torque that the gearbox can handle, but everything else about the car is great.

The other option is an Indian car called the Hyundai Creta - it's got a stronger DCT gearbox - an Indian version of the D7UF1 - rated for a much higher 250 lb-ft of torque (the engine only produces about 185 same as the Skoda/VW cars). Unfortunately, it's not a safe car. Hyundai/Kia were caught using cheaper steel, and as a result only scored between 2/5 and 3/5 on crash test ratings. It's also fuck ugly.

The other difference is that the Skoda/VW cars have a more refined gearbox - smoother, and they come with a better manual mode via paddles- hold onto gears for longer, downshift quicker etc. In terms of speed, they're both alright, they'll do 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds each.

Which one would you pick? Are the DQ200's reliability issues fixed now? Are the safety issues of the Hyundai too egregious to overlook?

Have you considered a Ford EcoSport? My grandfather has owned one for years (the gas powered, manual one), and hasn't had problems.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

40 minutes ago, Wi RoZ said:

No, same block. One's supercharged, one's turbocharged. The 1.6 THP was available as N/A, supercharged and turbocharged versions. Sure, if you swap the supercharged one with a turbocharged version you'll need a different intake and exhaust but engine size won't differ much and mounting points for engine and gearbox should be the same. 

53s used a Tritec engine, joint venture between BMW and Chrysler. Not in anyway related to the N16 "Prince" engine

20 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Not planning on swapping any engines lmao. Just want a kinda fun first car that won't give me much trouble. I'm mostly looking for an 04-06 car, supercharged. 🙂

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-buying-guides/mini-cooper-s-r53--ph-used-buying-guide/29900

Providing maintenance is kept up with them theyre a solid car, parents had one for a couple years before getting an R56. The supercharger noise never gets old

FB_IMG_1570394898835.jpg

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

53s used a Tritec engine, joint venture between BMW and Chrysler. Not in anyway related to the N16 "Prince" engine

You're right! Somehow it stuck in my head that all 1.6s where Prince engines but that's impossible because 2006 is the first year they became available if I recall correctly. 

Wi RoZ

1 minute ago, Wi RoZ said:

You're right! Somehow it stuck in my head that all 1.6s where Prince engines but that's impossible because 2006 is the first year they became available if I recall correctly. 

I had to do some investigating to find out who made the 53 engine but I knew it wasnt PSA haha

35 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Have you considered a Ford EcoSport? My grandfather has owned one for years (the gas powered, manual one), and hasn't had problems.

I thought about it, but it's a little too small. Max capacity we need 5 people and 2 medium-sized dogs. The ecosport feels crowded with 4 people.

38 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-buying-guides/mini-cooper-s-r53--ph-used-buying-guide/29900

Providing maintenance is kept up with them theyre a solid car, parents had one for a couple years before getting an R56. The supercharger noise never gets old

~sniped like a jewish baby~

Good to know! Cheers. But damn 06s are way pricier than 03/04s. 😞

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

20 hours ago, IKnight said:

I'm mostly looking for an 04-06 car, supercharged. 🙂

That seriously narrows down your options xD

But since you mention it, look for Golf V's with the 1.4 TSi engine. The 140hp version, not the 170hp (GT trim), those are known to crack heads (or at least I read some cases that that happened). Twin charged, plenty reliable, economical and you can get some decent numbers off of it if you start investing into the engine.

But don't be fooled, the 1.4 TSi with 125hp IIRC is only turbo and not twin charged, those came in newer cars anyway, 2007 onwards.

EDIT: I was forgetting about the Mercs, the Kompressor ones, but obviously they're Mercs and you know what that means maintenance pricing wise.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

But since you mention it, look for Golf V's with the 1.4 TSi engine. The 140hp version, not the 170hp (GT trim), those are known to crack heads. Twin charged, plenty reliable, economical and you can get some decent numbers off of it if you start investing into the engine.

But don't be fooled, the 1.4 TSi with 125hp IIRC is only turbo and not twin charged, those came in newer cars anyway, 2007 onwards.

EDIT: I was forgetting about the Mercs, the Kompressor ones, but obviously they're Mercs and you know what that means maintenance pricing wise.

you guys in europe sure have interesting engine selections

24 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

But since you mention it, look for Golf V's with the 1.4 TSi engine. The 140hp version, not the 170hp (GT trim), those are known to crack heads (or at least I read some cases that that happened). Twin charged, plenty reliable, economical and you can get some decent numbers off of it if you start investing into the engine.

Meant in terms of cooper s's 😉.

DreamBike:
Britten V1000

Actual Work Car:
French is all I will say here.

Hobby car: Silver 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Euro version (I live in Holland).

Dream car: Light Car Company (no, Jay is not part of the dream package here, if only 😉

Britten_V1000.jpg

9c59ea5c-38ac-44a6-ba2b-dd159fb6fe3d_3ad20bc2-a1da-462b-941b-031c02b2eeef.jpg

2cd2bc50-d138-4c39-b5da-f7c78e6825db_ede57dd3-6ade-4f7d-b8dd-b4b0a59cd3eb.jpg

1357507512861133.jpg