Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

43 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nah summers work fine. 

I have two sets. When I dailied the car through college I just used all seasons... main reason was well... it’s cheaper? 

but now I figured all seasons are good for road trips. Especially if I decide to go up north. Quieter on the highway too. Which you might not notice in your car but def notice in an old Miata lol

right now the car is on my other set of tires which are RE-71R’s lol. 

You are obligated to trailer the set of summers behind you and swap them if you encounter fun road.

just gonna maybe change the topic a bit what are some of the most underrated drift cars, and when i mean by that I don't mean something that is a famous car like the corolla e80 gen (since takumi dude already destroyed the price)

but im talking about cars people avoid because of poor power, poor tunability, or just the high expensive of having the car .

but they could also be like a super tunable, decent power to weight ratio, they got high quantity, and a lot cheaper 

9 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

really? that's crazy. i'd like to replace 2 of my all season set on my miata pretty soon. One of them is different from the other 3 because... well it's a long story happened a couple years ago lol. I think I have 195/55R15's on it. Usually go for Conti's

Want to drive it to Big Sky, MT in May. Should be a pretty freaking awesome trip. 

Theres hardly any tires for the elite and touring passports. They are 265-45-20 I think? The stock contis are nice and quiet but hopefully they aren't like my civic where they got mind numbingly loud past 5k miles

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

18 hours ago, Bitter said:

That is far less parts than Jeep uses and a way way thinner harness with many fewer 'legs'. Honda knows what they're doing, FCA/Jeep are pretty clueless. My biggest challenge was that I couldn't just stay on the job, I could only work on it in 20-30 minute stints because I'm expected to pick up anything that walks in and help everyone else too, or I was at that time. Total pain in the ass, must have been at least 60-70 connectors and I missed that the new harness had two more than the old one when I laid them side by side, Jeep changed the harness between that model year and the new harness was the superseded number. Took almost 2 months for the part to come in and this was before covid, I guess they only make so many and didn't have any extra for dealers to buy. Gotta suck if your car gets hit or shot and needs one, that's like Tesla bad for parts availability. FCA I've noticed has gotten worse and worse with this.

Tried to order a timing cover for a 3.8 Grand Caravan (2000 but they used that 3.8 for a long time after) and they said they can't get em except from a vintage dealer in Poland with new old stock for like $880 to us. Insane! Here's to hoping the oil pump in the DNJ brand one isn't trash...

And then door check thingy for a Jeep JK, back ordered maybe 3 months out. Holy crap, it's a bit of nylon.

That's quite astonishing, I had no idea parts were getting that difficult to find. I've put some DNJ parts on friends cars before with no complaints, so you're probably going to be OK.

I'm also glad I bought my cheap-ass tires for my car in 2019, I put like 2k miles a year on it now that I daily my motorcycle, and in Texas they dry out long before I get to the mileage limit.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

this is the most unnecessary question ever (because it prob says in your bio or on this topic)  ever but do you own a NC or NB miata, im guessing NB like in your pfp but for all ik it can be a fucking NC

NB. Profile pic is actually my car

6B69B469-5038-4AAF-842B-841B7968A779.jpeg.34cce57694a95a934c727980f90618b2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

You are obligated to trailer the set of summers behind you and swap them if you encounter fun road.

Haha. I drove to North Carolina on the RE71R’s. Let me tell you the dragon was an experience on those. 

They are just so freaking loud on the highway lol. But I know that’s more of a 200tw tire problem... there are less aggressive summers that are a lot quieter lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

NB. Profile pic is actually my car

Haha. I drove to North Carolina on the RE71R’s. Let me tell you the dragon was an experience on those. 

They are just so freaking loud on the highway lol. But I know that’s more of a 200tw tire problem... there are less aggressive summers that are a lot quieter lol

My Z3 and prior Z2 are not loud, they're not quiet but certainly not loud. They do make some funny suction cup noises over really smooth roads which can be loud, we don't have much like that up here except some hot tar crack patches, but yeah down south I certainly did hit some roads that were really smooth where they got louder. With the windows up it wasn't bad but I guess with a cloth top I could see it being bad.

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

cool, not here to critic but just not my taste of rims, but for you keep the  god damn rims its your car

19 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Quieter on the highway too. Which you might not notice in your car but def notice in an old Miata lol

You're also like three inches over the pavement in such a low small car 😂

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Can confirm. I sat in one of the new ND's and sat next to my grandfather in a showroom. He barely got out of that thing and I had to practically climb out of it as well. I have no idea of driving a car, but I imagine that it feels more fun to drive with such a low center of gravity.

GF was riding in her mom's late model Ford Edge in the city and said my Celica almost vanished under the hood from where she was sitting lol. I'm not even *that* low, tiny car is tiny car hahaha!

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Tiny car is tiny, but big, unnecessarily large car is just that: Unnecessary. And these are usually moms that use them to drive their children to school or do small grocery shopping. "Oops, sorry! Didn't see your car there! Doesn't matter, I'm safe!" Can't wait for SUVs and large pickup trucks for regular customers to die out.

Bumper height mismatch is a HUGE safety and money problem. Every SUV under 8600 GVW needs to have the same bumper height as cars. Period. There's no reason to have bumper structure so high when the whole front of the SUV is plastic anyway. Maybe even two bumpers! One at car height and one at SUV height oh right there's no standard for SUV bumper heights!

44 minutes ago, Benji said:

Yup. It inherently becomes a security risk when your hood is 4-6ft high and you can only clearly see things that are, like, at least 15ft in front of your car. And then older people and their excuses... "I feel unsafe if it isn't an SUV!" Why do they feel unsafe? Probably because they can't really drive a car properly and thus need the huge crumple zones. "I just want an easier entry!" If it's too hard/strenuous for you to enter a car of a normal size you shouldn't be driving, period.

Oh I'm not even talking about hood height yet, I mean the actual bumper behind the bumper cover. SUVs are regulated like trucks in this regard which basically means YOLO NO REGULATIONS *throws hands up in the air* because fuck everyone driving a sensible car. That's why SUVs have a higher profit margin, lower fuel economy targets, lower crash safety standards, lower emissions requirements, just all around less engineering expense. If they're the new car they need to be regulated like cars not like trucks because THEY'RE NOT TRUCKS but hey the USA is still stuck with arcane rules and regs like allowing red turn/brake combo lights. NO TURN SIGNALS ARE AMBER IN FRONT AND MUST BE AMBER IN REAR. It's lunacy!  I wish we would just adopt ECE lighting regs here!

6 hours ago, Benji said:

"I just want an easier entry!" If it's too hard/strenuous for you to enter a car of a normal size you shouldn't be driving, period.

idk, since switching to the passport I have made 0 chiropractor appointments. I was good for 1-2 a week before.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

idk, since switching to the passport I have made 0 chiropractor appointments. I was good for 1-2 a week before.

We are becoming old xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

We are becoming old xD 

Speak for yourself.

Just kidding, all of my joints crack. 😞

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Speak for yourself.

Just kidding, all of my joints crack. 😞

Thats just the beginning.

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

I hope the end is like a bag of popcorn in a microwave.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Somehow I hurt the middle knuckle in my pinky finger and now I think it's got arthritis and every time I take my ear plugs out I catch some ear hairs. Getting old is hecka lame.

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Somehow I hurt the middle knuckle in my pinky finger and now I think it's got arthritis and every time I take my ear plugs out I catch some ear hairs. Getting old is hecka lame.

I caught my left hand in a spring loaded regulator and just about took my middle finger off if it didn't catch enough meat from the other fingers to slow its momentum. Its why I struggled to find a keyboard that doesn't flare up the pain in that hand while gaming. Still hit that fatigue limit every once in a while. Switched back to console gaming for a while, now I hardly play games lol.

Lower back injury was loading a rear drum on a F700; still deal with that today.

Hurt my neck setting rat traps at work lol. Set one that was kinda sketchy and was like, eh send it. Thing snapped right when it hit the ground and since I was anticipating it I was able to get my hands out of the way, but pulled something and was in the worst neck pain for about week. Still deal with creaks and pops from my neck all the time from that.

Hurt my achillies/ankle by falling about 3 steps from the attic ladder. Surprised I didn't break my leg, but now my left achillies takes about 10 minutes to "warm up" in the morning.

When I was younger and was out crabbing with the family I helped pull crab pots by hand because our motor went to shit. Messed up something in my left elbow and every once in a while I strain it and its legit 9/10 insane pain for a few days. Also got stung by a jelly fish during that whole ordeal.

Basically my whole left side is pretty useless.

This was fun. 2wd Sierra cossie running about 550hp, I see why they have such a following now

IMG_20210306_174549_392.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

This was fun. 2wd Sierra cossie running about 550hp, I see why they have such a following now

that's a clean engine bay my opinion, (don't mind all the cables on the right)

15 hours ago, vetali said:

I caught my left hand in a spring loaded regulator and just about took my middle finger off if it didn't catch enough meat from the other fingers to slow its momentum. Its why I struggled to find a keyboard that doesn't flare up the pain in that hand while gaming. Still hit that fatigue limit every once in a while. Switched back to console gaming for a while, now I hardly play games lol.

Lower back injury was loading a rear drum on a F700; still deal with that today.

Hurt my neck setting rat traps at work lol. Set one that was kinda sketchy and was like, eh send it. Thing snapped right when it hit the ground and since I was anticipating it I was able to get my hands out of the way, but pulled something and was in the worst neck pain for about week. Still deal with creaks and pops from my neck all the time from that.

Hurt my achillies/ankle by falling about 3 steps from the attic ladder. Surprised I didn't break my leg, but now my left achillies takes about 10 minutes to "warm up" in the morning.

When I was younger and was out crabbing with the family I helped pull crab pots by hand because our motor went to shit. Messed up something in my left elbow and every once in a while I strain it and its legit 9/10 insane pain for a few days. Also got stung by a jelly fish during that whole ordeal.

Basically my whole left side is pretty useless.

You win! Surprised you're not on some kind of disability or a parts counter guy.

17 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Always thought those were neat even tho we didn’t get any here lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Always thought those were neat even tho we didn’t get any here lol

i really never think about ford besides their taurus sho, its a mega sleeper if you just take off all the sho badges or counter some dumbass

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You win! Surprised you're not on some kind of disability or a parts counter guy.

Neither pay enough lol. Its all about managing and knowing your limits. I used to do stuff like yeet transfer cases and install them without a jack. When I did my mazda clutch in my own garage I just benched the transmission back in. Now I use a trans jack for everything, even sub frames. Plus I find myself now buying tools to help with that. Like I got an OTC front end service kit so I can stop having to beat the shit outta knuckles to break stuff loose. Plus the new cars with aluminum suspension components don't really like that method anyway.

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

Neither pay enough lol. Its all about managing and knowing your limits. I used to do stuff like yeet transfer cases and install them without a jack. When I did my mazda clutch in my own garage I just benched the transmission back in. Now I use a trans jack for everything, even sub frames. Plus I find myself now buying tools to help with that. Like I got an OTC front end service kit so I can stop having to beat the shit outta knuckles to break stuff loose. Plus the new cars with aluminum suspension components don't really like that method anyway.

I'm not super strong so I always use everything I can to help myself. Jacks, bars, and tools. I LOVE my strong-ass air hammer to do the work for me faster and easier than I can do it myself. I'm not sure I talked about it a lot before but it's a Jiffy #600 air rivet gun. It's a beast. I use it to drive ball joints down out of control arms pretty often with relative ease. It'll spin seized hub bearings in the knuckle easily and twist them out. If only I could use it to install the ball joints... Same reason I bought a 1250K impact, it'll take stuff off that I'd normally need a breaker bar and a pipe. Also I frequently reach for heat to help. Most of what I'm working on is 10+yrs/100K+miles so I need all the help I can get.