Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 2/24/2021 at 1:53 PM, chaozbandit said:

I love that this man and his team make these, it has to be a crazy good driving experience. 

Wi RoZ

Spoiler

(Dont watch it if you are a hardcore bmw fan.)

🤣

At least they can get some fun out of a car that was destined to meet its demise at a car salvage yard.....

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:
  Hide contents

(Dont watch it if you are a hardcore bmw fan.)

🤣

At least they can get some fun out of a car that was destined to meet its demise at a car salvage yard.....

as someone who used to be a hardcore BMW fan before BMW turned to shit

i think those guys are having more fun with that BMW than a lot of people with brand new M cars 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

14 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

as someone who used to be a hardcore BMW fan before BMW turned to shit

i think those guys are having more fun with that BMW than a lot of people with brand new M cars 

That's really not hard.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Engine swap comin along nicely. Still workin on wiring and things like AC. Couple more pics in spoiler below to not spam. Also Rims came out lookin NICE.

20210301_141047.thumb.jpg.ddf35e0bcb0442da84249ceafdd513d6.jpg

Spoiler

20210301_141037.thumb.jpg.6c8cad4c05b17a22c7d2b32de2b68229.jpg20210301_141041.thumb.jpg.e36ce96165717702b696b45ea1d45abe.jpg20210223_142450.thumb.jpg.6118b016efc9f27a5b0d688779f1d246.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Y'all know anything about 1000BASE-T1 for automotive applications? Seems pretty interesting, there are even media converters to adapt it to 1000-BASE-T like we use for traditional computer networks. 

Technica Engineering - 1000BASE-T1 MediaConverter (technica-engineering.de)

Company - Newsroom - Marvell Introduces Industry's First 1000BASE-T1 Development Platform with Automotive Grade Connectors from TE Connectivity - Marvell

Gigabit networking over a single twisted pair

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Y'all know anything about 1000BASE-T1 for automotive applications? Seems pretty interesting, there are even media converters to adapt it to 1000-BASE-T like we use for traditional computer networks. 

Technica Engineering - 1000BASE-T1 MediaConverter (technica-engineering.de)

Company - Newsroom - Marvell Introduces Industry's First 1000BASE-T1 Development Platform with Automotive Grade Connectors from TE Connectivity - Marvell

Gigabit networking over a single twisted pair

Not sure what cars its in now. They usually don't explicitly state that info in service information.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Not sure what cars its in now. They usually don't explicitly state that info in service information.

I suspect the McLaren Artura might have it. They said they cut the weight of the wiring loom of that car significantly vs past McLaren's, which I thought was an interesting detail. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, That_Random_Guy said:

Engine swap comin along nicely. Still workin on wiring and things like AC. Couple more pics in spoiler below to not spam. Also Rims came out lookin NICE.

20210301_141047.thumb.jpg.ddf35e0bcb0442da84249ceafdd513d6.jpg

Hide contents

20210301_141037.thumb.jpg.6c8cad4c05b17a22c7d2b32de2b68229.jpg20210301_141041.thumb.jpg.e36ce96165717702b696b45ea1d45abe.jpg20210223_142450.thumb.jpg.6118b016efc9f27a5b0d688779f1d246.jpg

NICE! 

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I suspect the McLaren Artura might have it. They said they cut the weight of the wiring loom of that car significantly vs past McLaren's, which I thought was an interesting detail. 

I would say its insulation and maybe bulkheads more than anything. Wire harness aren't exactly heavy.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, vetali said:

I would say its insulation and maybe bulkheads more than anything. Wire harness aren't exactly heavy.

I dunno man, the body harness I replaced on a new Jeep Cherokee was pretty heavy. Owner shot the car and of course hit one of the big bulkhead connectors so the only right way to fix is to replace the whole harness. I'd say the body harness weighed a solid 40lbs and the partial engine harness another 10-12lbs. I know it's  not a lot but that's a whole wheel, a big poop, and a diet!

30 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I dunno man, the body harness I replaced on a new Jeep Cherokee was pretty heavy. Owner shot the car and of course hit one of the big bulkhead connectors so the only right way to fix is to replace the whole harness. I'd say the body harness weighed a solid 40lbs and the partial engine harness another 10-12lbs. I know it's  not a lot but that's a whole wheel, a big poop, and a diet!

I just did a floor harness in a CR-V and I would say it was 10 pounds maybe.

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

I just did a floor harness in a CR-V and I would say it was 10 pounds maybe.

Jeep harness came in a  box big enough to double as a coffin and the harness wrapped up the sides to the head liner and even outside the back of it to the evap system and tail lights. I thought I was going to need a coffin after I looked at the pile of parts from fully gutting the interior to the sheet metal to change the harness.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Jeep harness came in a  box big enough to double as a coffin and the harness wrapped up the sides to the head liner and even outside the back of it to the evap system and tail lights. I thought I was going to need a coffin after I looked at the pile of parts from fully gutting the interior to the sheet metal to change the harness.

o6GrrXY.jpeg

xR1vaGD.png

Not too bad on a Honda, called for 5.8 hours warranty time (this wasn't a warranty job) and was done in 4.5-5 hours.

23 minutes ago, vetali said:

Not too bad on a Honda, called for 5.8 hours warranty time (this wasn't a warranty job) and was done in 4.5-5 hours.

That is far less parts than Jeep uses and a way way thinner harness with many fewer 'legs'. Honda knows what they're doing, FCA/Jeep are pretty clueless. My biggest challenge was that I couldn't just stay on the job, I could only work on it in 20-30 minute stints because I'm expected to pick up anything that walks in and help everyone else too, or I was at that time. Total pain in the ass, must have been at least 60-70 connectors and I missed that the new harness had two more than the old one when I laid them side by side, Jeep changed the harness between that model year and the new harness was the superseded number. Took almost 2 months for the part to come in and this was before covid, I guess they only make so many and didn't have any extra for dealers to buy. Gotta suck if your car gets hit or shot and needs one, that's like Tesla bad for parts availability. FCA I've noticed has gotten worse and worse with this.

Tried to order a timing cover for a 3.8 Grand Caravan (2000 but they used that 3.8 for a long time after) and they said they can't get em except from a vintage dealer in Poland with new old stock for like $880 to us. Insane! Here's to hoping the oil pump in the DNJ brand one isn't trash...

And then door check thingy for a Jeep JK, back ordered maybe 3 months out. Holy crap, it's a bit of nylon.

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That is far less parts than Jeep uses and a way way thinner harness with many fewer 'legs'. Honda knows what they're doing, FCA/Jeep are pretty clueless. My biggest challenge was that I couldn't just stay on the job, I could only work on it in 20-30 minute stints because I'm expected to pick up anything that walks in and help everyone else too, or I was at that time. Total pain in the ass, must have been at least 60-70 connectors and I missed that the new harness had two more than the old one when I laid them side by side, Jeep changed the harness between that model year and the new harness was the superseded number. Took almost 2 months for the part to come in and this was before covid, I guess they only make so many and didn't have any extra for dealers to buy. Gotta suck if your car gets hit or shot and needs one, that's like Tesla bad for parts availability. FCA I've noticed has gotten worse and worse with this.

Tried to order a timing cover for a 3.8 Grand Caravan (2000 but they used that 3.8 for a long time after) and they said they can't get em except from a vintage dealer in Poland with new old stock for like $880 to us. Insane! Here's to hoping the oil pump in the DNJ brand one isn't trash...

And then door check thingy for a Jeep JK, back ordered maybe 3 months out. Holy crap, it's a bit of nylon.

Yeah I had quite a few distractions, co worker no showed so I had to do a bunch of BS before the afternoon where I was pretty much ready for reassembly. Those C pillar trim panels are the worst part of honda interiors to deal with. I think I have them down now, but they are a struggle to get clipped. And if it isn't perfect, then the bottom panel will never line up flush with the interior line. I did a heater core in one of those CR-Vs a week or so prior. Dash was out in 50 minutes. Honda interiors are super simple.

GM is really bad right now too for availability. Honda is getting pretty bad too. We chanced it on an aftermarket VCT actuator on a CR-V and the thing gets towed in a day later and the actuator wasn't locking. Waited a while for a leak check module on a newer CR-V. AC compressors are getting tough to get. Condensers for Civics are 2 months out last I saw. That harness tho? Next day lol...

Wow the car part shortage sounds insane. Hope my cars don’t break soon 

Spoiler

Yeah it's not good and these aren't even the "chip" parts that the news is talking about, these are dumb parts.

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah it's not good and these aren't even the "chip" parts that the news is talking about, these are dumb parts.

Yep and tires too. If you got some oddball size then its really hard to find tires right now.

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yep and tires too. If you got some oddball size then its really hard to find tires right now.

really? that's crazy. i'd like to replace 2 of my all season set on my miata pretty soon. One of them is different from the other 3 because... well it's a long story happened a couple years ago lol. I think I have 195/55R15's on it. Usually go for Conti's

Want to drive it to Big Sky, MT in May. Should be a pretty freaking awesome trip. 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

really? that's crazy. i'd like to replace 2 of my all season set on my miata pretty soon. One of them is different from the other 3 because... well it's a long story happened a couple years ago lol. I think I have 195/55R15's on it. Usually go for Conti's

Want to drive it to Big Sky, MT in May. Should be a pretty freaking awesome trip. 

Do you need all seasons in Louisiana? I run Michelin PSS's year round in CA and don't have any issues.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

43 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Do you need all seasons in Louisiana? I run Michelin PSS's year round in CA and don't have any issues.

Nah summers work fine. 

I have two sets. When I dailied the car through college I just used all seasons... main reason was well... it’s cheaper? 

but now I figured all seasons are good for road trips. Especially if I decide to go up north. Quieter on the highway too. Which you might not notice in your car but def notice in an old Miata lol

right now the car is on my other set of tires which are RE-71R’s lol. 

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nah summers work fine. 

I have two sets. When I dailied the car through college I just used all seasons... main reason was well... it’s cheaper? 

but now I figured all seasons are good for road trips. Especially if I decide to go up north. Quieter on the highway too. Which you might not notice in your car but def notice in an old Miata lol

right now the car is on my other set of tires which are RE-71R’s lol. 

this is the most unnecessary question ever (because it prob says in your bio or on this topic)  ever but do you own a NC or NB miata, im guessing NB like in your pfp but for all ik it can be a fucking NC

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Haven't run into that yet, just assumed that only Continental made tires for the Smart 42. I spell it like they juuuust to annoy the owners.