Sonnics HDD Any Good ?

Go to solution Solved by da na,

Is this the one you're looking at?

image.png.2a4035b0bfa91b0b8aae1b901688ab0d.png

The only HDD manufacturers are Toshiba, Western Digital, and Seagate. (Used to be Fujitsu, Samsung, Hitachi as other prominent brands but all were purchased by another company.) So Sonnics isn't making these drives - they are "White Label" drives which are refurbished, used, customer returns, or defective from the factory. The drive pictured is a Seagate Barracuda but who knows if you'll actually get a Barracuda. 

I would advise against this Soniccs HDD given the inconsistent quality standards of white label drive "manufacturers" - some have far more thorough vetting processes. Some white label companies actually check to make sure the drive is working, others erase the SMART data of a defective drive and slap on their sticker. Additionally, Barracuda 3TB drives do not have a good track record with reliability.

I'd point you towards MDD (also on Amazon) as an excellent source of white label/refurbished drives. I have purchased numerous Hitachi drives from them over the years, and had no problems with any - but they do offer a 3 year warranty if problems were to arise.

I specifically bought this 4TB drive in the past but if you want a 3TB here is one

I have found Hitachi's drives to be hands down the best-built and most reliable hard drives out there since, unlike Seagate's "server grade" Barracuda drives which are slightly revised versions of the consumer grade chassis, Hitachi's high end, high capacity drives are actually built like real server drives.

Do someone know of this brand and it is any good ? I want to get a 3tb hdd from this brand on amazon as a backup drive.

Thx in advance

The only HDD manufacturers are Toshiba, Western Digital, and Seagate. (Used to be Fujitsu, Samsung, Hitachi as other prominent brands but all were purchased by another company.) So Sonnics isn't making these drives - they are "White Label" drives which are refurbished, used, customer returns, or defective from the factory. The drive pictured is a Seagate Barracuda but who knows if you'll actually get a Barracuda. 

I would advise against this Soniccs HDD given the inconsistent quality standards of white label drive "manufacturers" - some have far more thorough vetting processes. Some white label companies actually check to make sure the drive is working, others erase the SMART data of a defective drive and slap on their sticker. Additionally, Barracuda 3TB drives do not have a good track record with reliability.

I'd point you towards MDD (also on Amazon) as an excellent source of white label/refurbished drives. I have purchased numerous Hitachi drives from them over the years, and had no problems with any - but they do offer a 3 year warranty if problems were to arise.

I specifically bought this 4TB drive in the past but if you want a 3TB here is one

I have found Hitachi's drives to be hands down the best-built and most reliable hard drives out there since, unlike Seagate's "server grade" Barracuda drives which are slightly revised versions of the consumer grade chassis, Hitachi's high end, high capacity drives are actually built like real server drives.

6 hours ago, da na said:

thx gone try it thanks for the great help