Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

21 hours ago, vetali said:

Interesting, did an avenger master cylinder recently and it was being stubborn with the brake light. It randomly went out after like 50 key cycles and I was like WELP SHIP IT.

Got a fun one for you guys, not really for me. Scion TC, needs a timing cover reseal and oil pan reseal. Easy stuff. I drop the motor on those because its easy and makes for a better seal. I finish it and start it and it has a CEL. I made sure during my initial diag that it didn't have one as its shop policy to note any lights on as soon as you pull it into your stall. Its a P0335 crank sensor code. At first I thought I mixed up the tone ring because I didn't remember which direction I installed it in. So out goes the motor again. Pull the cover off and its installed correctly. Do some more research and theres a TSB on the cam actuator causing a P0335. The customer reluctantly okays it saying they already had the engine rebuilt. Put it together, and still has a light. Yolo throw a sensor in it because I am out of options (we don't have a scope, ohms were fine during initial diag but that isn't a good test) and running out of time. Work is piling up. Its gone... then I drive it and it comes back on.

Ship it to Toyota because I am waay behind on warranty work. They call back in a day and say it has the wrong motor. The shop that "rebuilt" it put a 1AZ in instead of a 2AZ. Customer actually fessed up and said the CEL was intermittent after the rebuild. So its got a 2AZ cam actuator in it and we are trying to decide what to do at this point. Funny enough the head is stamped "AZ" behind the cover. I never really thought to look at the actual engine stamp. Might have to add that one to my diagnostic routine I guess, because that one fooled me. Looked completely normal aside from an aftermarket PCV hose. Ran good too, even on the TC ECU.

Ouch.

21 hours ago, vetali said:

Interesting, did an avenger master cylinder recently and it was being stubborn with the brake light. It randomly went out after like 50 key cycles and I was like WELP SHIP IT.

Got a fun one for you guys, not really for me. Scion TC, needs a timing cover reseal and oil pan reseal. Easy stuff. I drop the motor on those because its easy and makes for a better seal. I finish it and start it and it has a CEL. I made sure during my initial diag that it didn't have one as its shop policy to note any lights on as soon as you pull it into your stall. Its a P0335 crank sensor code. At first I thought I mixed up the tone ring because I didn't remember which direction I installed it in. So out goes the motor again. Pull the cover off and its installed correctly. Do some more research and theres a TSB on the cam actuator causing a P0335. The customer reluctantly okays it saying they already had the engine rebuilt. Put it together, and still has a light. Yolo throw a sensor in it because I am out of options (we don't have a scope, ohms were fine during initial diag but that isn't a good test) and running out of time. Work is piling up. Its gone... then I drive it and it comes back on.

Ship it to Toyota because I am waay behind on warranty work. They call back in a day and say it has the wrong motor. The shop that "rebuilt" it put a 1AZ in instead of a 2AZ. Customer actually fessed up and said the CEL was intermittent after the rebuild. So its got a 2AZ cam actuator in it and we are trying to decide what to do at this point. Funny enough the head is stamped "AZ" behind the cover. I never really thought to look at the actual engine stamp. Might have to add that one to my diagnostic routine I guess, because that one fooled me. Looked completely normal aside from an aftermarket PCV hose. Ran good too, even on the TC ECU.

What in the hell, isn't the 2AZ incredibly common? Like every 4-cyl Camry made for 10 years had one?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

33 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

What in the hell, isn't the 2AZ incredibly common? Like every 4-cyl Camry made for 10 years had one?

No idea but sounds right. I assume its like the k24 for Hondas where it was used in everything, just slightly different designs in some. In NA I think the only thing that used the 1AZ was the early rav4.

Customer picked it up today. I guess we are gonna see if it has any drivability issues with the wrong phaser in, but it drove fine for me.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, vetali said:

No idea but sounds right. I assume its like the k24 for Hondas where it was used in everything, just slightly different designs in some. In NA I think the only thing that used the 1AZ was the early rav4.

Customer picked it up today. I guess we are gonna see if it has any drivability issues with the wrong phaser in, but it drove fine for me.

sounds like it'll be fine. Funny though. 

Customer should of fessed up earlier though, would of been a bit easier on you. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 12/9/2020 at 6:58 PM, vetali said:

the K Type till 2013 was used in very little in the US mostly being used in Japan or higher end trims, the J type is more common than it.

my dads finally getting tired of trying to find shops to work on his Malibu, maybe he will finally learn to do some more of the work on it. We already got almost anything he could need tools wise. Just needs to take lots of pictures otherwise I'll be sitting there for hours figuring out how to put things back together.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

the K Type till 2013 was used in very little in the US mostly being used in Japan or higher end trims, the J type is more common than it.

my dads finally getting tired of trying to find shops to work on his Malibu, maybe he will finally learn to do some more of the work on it. We already got almost anything he could need tools wise. Just needs to take lots of pictures otherwise I'll be sitting there for hours figuring out how to put things back together.

Not sure if you are using the phrase "very little" right. K24s make up the majority of honda engines in the 2000s to mid 2010s. The CRV is hondas most popular vehicle since the 2nd gen and generally sold 1.5-2x more than the pilots. Add in the elements and accords and its not even close.

cY1RywD.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Not sure if you are using the phrase "very little" right. K24s make up the majority of honda engines in the 2000s to mid 2010s. The CRV is hondas most popular vehicle since the 2nd gen and generally sold 1.5-2x more than the pilots. Add in the elements and accords and its not even close.

you do realize right that about half the accords were J type? which also went into odysseys and almost all acura cars.

comparing which engine went in more cars is going to be spreadsheet work not 1 graph

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

8 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

you do realize right that about half the accords were J type? which also went into odysseys and almost all acura cars.

comparing which engine went in more cars is going to be spreadsheet work not 1 graph

Not remotely 50%. Acura cars also had K series engines... I am really not sure what straws you are trying to grasp. I work as a tech at a Honda dealer... I know what I see lmao. If you wana spreadsheet it to prove a point then be my guest. Until then stop pulling numbers out of thin air to prove your baseless statement.

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

I miss the old B20 (?) In the old old CR-V. Felt super peppy!

B20. Yep. Not a huge fan of them. Almost bought a 5 speed one for my second car though. Went with the mazda 3 instead.

P_20201108_171510.thumb.jpg.413c1b89684d8c7a02f68c46ac34995e.jpg

Meet the $280 1995 Toyota Corolla DX

I saw it listed on Facebook marketplace and just had to take a look. Poor car was going to get scrapped for what the previous owner assumed was the clutch starting to go out.

The actual problem? Someone serviced the car at some point and did not re-mount the charcoal canister and fuel filter properly, so they were clattering around and getting smacked by the shift linkages. 

Of course, the car also ended up needing other work too. Driver's side front wheel bearing was starting to go out, causing weird noises when turning right. I also replaced the driver's side CV axle since it was old af, and the passenger side axle has been replaced at some point. Beyond that, I have just cleaned it inside and out, new tires, and caught up most of the maintenance. Last big ticket item is coolant. Then we can start thinking about upgrades and mods.

I'm probably going to auto cross this thing. Its cheap, and pretty fun for what it is. However, the stock economy tuned motor is very not performance ready. The power/torque curve is garbage, and you have to short shift to get anything out of it; which I fear might suck in auto cross. It'll be fine at first to learn with, but I was thinking about sticking to my roots and going with a rotary swap; would be great for auto cross since rotaries like being at high rpms and you're always in low gear. But we'll see. I could also get 4AGE heads and make a 7AGE, do some fuel system work and get a standalone. 

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

So i figured out how all of the CB450 was wired a few days ago, its barely got any wires in it so it wasnt all that hard.

Found a few odd things:

The generators negative isn't connected to anything, i have no idea how this isnt some sort of problem tbh

The headlight is controlled by the indicator switch??? just why???

Got my new indicators, signal generator, speedo cable and grips yesterday but yesterday i also passed out and have a concussion so any work on the CB is probably not until after i get back home from Christmas. Still need something to quiet the bike down, either some DB killer insert or a slip-on, exhaust is a strange 39mm ID so DB-killers are hard to find. Slip-ons are expensive too so idk what ill end up doing right now but i have a pretty solid guess that it wont be passing any inspections with these straight pipes lmao

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

I saw it listed on Facebook marketplace and just had to take a look. Poor car was going to get scrapped for what the previous owner assumed was the clutch starting to go out.

The actual problem? Someone serviced the car at some point and did not re-mount the charcoal canister and fuel filter properly, so they were clattering around and getting smacked by the shift linkages. 

Of course, the car also ended up needing other work too. Driver's side front wheel bearing was starting to go out, causing weird noises when turning right. I also replaced the driver's side CV axle since it was old af, and the passenger side axle has been replaced at some point. Beyond that, I have just cleaned it inside and out, new tires, and caught up most of the maintenance. Last big ticket item is coolant. Then we can start thinking about upgrades and mods.

I'm probably going to auto cross this thing. Its cheap, and pretty fun for what it is. However, the stock economy tuned motor is very not performance ready. The power/torque curve is garbage, and you have to short shift to get anything out of it; which I fear might suck in auto cross. It'll be fine at first to learn with, but I was thinking about sticking to my roots and going with a rotary swap; would be great for auto cross since rotaries like being at high rpms and you're always in low gear. But we'll see. I could also get 4AGE heads and make a 7AGE, do some fuel system work and get a standalone. 

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/official-7th-gen-chat-thread.1154465/page-129#post-14348341

Please join there, there's a lot of really knowledgeable people. I used to have a 93 Prizm (Corolla clone) with a 7A-FE and with the right bits and adjustments they're fairly peppy for their age.  I'll give you a quick freebie, pull the air snorkel that goes from behind the driver side headlight to the air box, just leave the larger open hole in the bottom of the airbox. It'll help reduce the choke out at higher RPM substantially. Yours being a 95 probably has a non-adjustable distributor which is a real bummer, a few extra degrees of timing makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/official-7th-gen-chat-thread.1154465/page-129#post-14348341

Please join there, there's a lot of really knowledgeable people. I used to have a 93 Prizm (Corolla clone) with a 7A-FE and with the right bits and adjustments they're fairly peppy for their age.  I'll give you a quick freebie, pull the air snorkel that goes from behind the driver side headlight to the air box, just leave the larger open hole in the bottom of the airbox. It'll help reduce the choke out at higher RPM substantially. Yours being a 95 probably has a non-adjustable distributor which is a real bummer, a few extra degrees of timing makes a big difference.

Thanks for the airbox tip. I already joined the forums there, and they've been helpful. More than I can say for the Prius forums and RX-7 forums....

Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

Forgot to post this here.  Had my Focus RS at the dragstrip recently.  Sadly the video I do have doesn't have ET because the GT350 had "no clocks" on the back window.

But it ran a 13.4 @ 105mph.

Car is bone stock, full weight, 3675lbs with me in it at the line.

This is right about where it should run in stock trim so I'm happy enough with the result.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

20 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Is that a 98/99 with the 1ZZ? 

With a manual and good tires it’ll be a good autocross car. I autoX’d my 2002 corolla (with an auto, I had to leave it in 1st and manually slide the shifter up to second and back down it was a mess but it was fun lol) 

I was mid pack at the local group after putting new struts (nothing special just stock replacements) and sport comp 2 tires (I got 15 inch steel wheels to do this, stock width) 

I had way more fun in that car than I thought I ever would. Kinda sad I don’t have it anymore still lol. I revved the crap out of the engine every single day for 2 years. I had to keep an eye on the oil (the early 1ZZ’s Commonly burn due to too small piston oil return holes and owners who would neglect oil changes). But that was it! 

An LSD would also go a long way in that car. But that might be a bit much. If you ever have the transmission out to disassemble it, it’s worth doing.

Then someone crashed into me one day and I bought a Miata. Still have that one. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Is that a 98/99 with the 1ZZ? 

With a manual and good tires it’ll be a good autocross car. I autoX’d my 2002 corolla (with an auto, I had to leave it in 1st and manually slide the shifter up to second and back down it was a mess but it was fun lol) 

I was mid pack at the local group after putting new struts (nothing special just stock replacements) and sport comp 2 tires (I got 15 inch steel wheels to do this, stock width) 

I had way more fun in that car than I thought I ever would. Kinda sad I don’t have it anymore still lol. I revved the crap out of the engine every single day for 2 years. I had to keep an eye on the oil (the early 1ZZ’s Commonly burn due to too small piston oil return holes and owners who would neglect oil changes). But that was it! 

An LSD would also go a long way in that car. But that might be a bit much. If you ever have the transmission out to disassemble it, it’s worth doing.

Then someone crashed into me one day and I bought a Miata. Still have that one. Lol

Big F for your 02.

This is a 95, as I mentioned in my post :)

DX trim, so it does have the 1.8L 7A-FE. The 4 speed auto was an option higher on the DX trim, the 5 speed manual was standard equipment for DX models. I expect it'll be solid enough in autox stock, but my plans should get some more performance out of it. 7As are oil burning queens, if its not burning oil its not running :) Supposedly its an issue with the rings getting sludged by faulty rings and/or long oil change intervals.

There's a high chance I'll be getting a mostly complete, or possibly running, single rotor engine sometime next year. It'd only make about as much power as the 7A does, but the powerband would be way better. I was planning on reusing the stock transmission with some type of bellhousing adapter, and was considering rebuilding it since it'll have around 200k by the time I can do the swap. 

My biggest concern is tires though, for sure. There's a pick&pull near here that has a 93 with some really cool looking alloy wheels, however I'm pretty sure they're OEM so tire choice will be extremely limited. The upside is they'd be cheap and look nice. Could probably try to offset a worse tread with a wider tire, depending on how wide a tire I could fit.

In progress projects:

*GPU Test Bench*

I had 92 Prizm GSi wheels with 195/60R14 tires, it was ok. Go for 15" and you can fit bigger front brakes from I think maybe it was a 5th or 6th gen Celica? Been a while....

Also 7AGE is very rarely built, usually cheaper to turbo the 7A or cram in a 3S or 4AGE.

14 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Big F for your 02.

This is a 95, as I mentioned in my post :)

DX trim, so it does have the 1.8L 7A-FE. The 4 speed auto was an option higher on the DX trim, the 5 speed manual was standard equipment for DX models. I expect it'll be solid enough in autox stock, but my plans should get some more performance out of it. 7As are oil burning queens, if its not burning oil its not running :) Supposedly its an issue with the rings getting sludged by faulty rings and/or long oil change intervals.

There's a high chance I'll be getting a mostly complete, or possibly running, single rotor engine sometime next year. It'd only make about as much power as the 7A does, but the powerband would be way better. I was planning on reusing the stock transmission with some type of bellhousing adapter, and was considering rebuilding it since it'll have around 200k by the time I can do the swap. 

My biggest concern is tires though, for sure. There's a pick&pull near here that has a 93 with some really cool looking alloy wheels, however I'm pretty sure they're OEM so tire choice will be extremely limited. The upside is they'd be cheap and look nice. Could probably try to offset a worse tread with a wider tire, depending on how wide a tire I could fit.

I’m sorry I totally missed that you said the year when I read your post yesterday... 

rotary swap? That sounds like a crazy project lol. Good luck! 

In my experience regarding tires, the tire itself is more important than the width. 15 inch wheels generally have the best variety of sticky tire selection since that’s what people are using on Miatas and stuff, so I’d try to find something there. 

Spoiler

Not done yet just did the rears:6985F611-6F8C-4B02-8DAE-EF354F6A234D.thumb.jpeg.4305c326e94c7d6ab4f61bef7844c466.jpeg

prothane bushings + sadfab sleeve bearing kit instead of the stock sleeves (so the center sleeve rotates inside of a metal bearing instead of directly against the polyurethane) + drilled and tapped for grease zerks for easy greasing. 

Every poly bushing company should do this I think it’s an amazing idea lol:

image.thumb.jpg.a91ee80ffb3f266fec8aab65da3210c1.jpg

koni yellows and flyin Miata springs. New shock bushings but reused the spring isolators and boots.

Excuse the 10+ years of dirt. Gonna clean everything when I’m done. 

ride is actually pretty close to stock, just everything feels tighter in the back. It’s nice, feels new. 

Spoiler

Anyone know grease fittings really well? I’m in need of some low profile ones for a tight clearance spot on the Miata.

i think these will work:

2D996EC4-171F-411F-BA3E-4549A465E1FA.thumb.jpeg.31a3ebb56fe04f7be3c34c0a90c33ca7.jpeg

but I don’t know what adapter you use on your grease gun for these? Do you just stick a needle-type in the middle?.. that doesn’t seem right (edit: maybe it is, it pushes in the ball valve and allows the grease to flow in)

also the hole is recessed so I might have to find something else. Really don’t want go cut the subframe if I can avoid it. (also the above might not work since the clearance for the socket + the fitting itself through that hole might not be big enough :(

3916B979-FB74-43DC-83B4-FB8A793D28F9.thumb.jpeg.54140d3535fc0d12b87b4711e309307b.jpeg

Spoiler

They do work buy you need the adapter for your grease gun to use them, might still not be low enough since that fitting has a long shank on it. How much more rotation do you need there? Is notching not an option?