Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I aired the A8 today, started right up without problems.

20201226_122501.thumb.jpg.fdc41f12f6c4b3735128722b735ee1df.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Just now, Oskar94a said:

I aired the A8 today, started right up with no problems.

20201226_122501.thumb.jpg.fdc41f12f6c4b3735128722b735ee1df.jpg

Man I love that car lol. It’s just soo nice. I’m still too scared to own one though, it’s out of my comfort zone lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Man I love that car lol. It’s just soo nice. I’m still too scared to own one though, it’s out of my comfort zone lol

I found myself noseying at them after seeing the one on the latest cartrek. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's a great car, I only drive it a few months during summer, to minimize the zero degree  celcius cold starts and other wear and tear that the cold climate brings. 

20 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I found myself noseying at them after seeing the one on the latest cartrek. 

My stomach hurt watching that lol. Even if that car was in such a bad shape. I got my A8 dirt cheap because of overheating problems, 1 day battery drain and no working infotainment. I found all the problems myself and fixed them. They are not too bad to work on.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

Let me just join in on the fun and drop a random ass video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34

that is not a random ass video... its internet gold my friend ....

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

41 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Let me just join in on the fun and drop a random ass video

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34

Oh my god I’ve never seen this and I’m literally rolling on the floor laughing 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This is gonna be a meta post, but while I don't post much anymore I feel like its something I'd like to bring up. Since really I made my account I have been a poster in this thread, and prior to that active on the overclock.net auto thread. I generally think that tech forums so far have had great automotive communities that aren't narrowed down to one brand/make. It creates a melting pot of fans of different types of vehicles, brands, etc and usually aren't too elitist aside from a few shitters... myself included sometimes even in jest. Its also allowed me to step out of my comfort zone of essentially being a hard core GM nut hugger and dabbling with other brands I had preconceived notions about.

The various discussions weaving in and out of automotive culture within the community keeps things from getting too stale. That said, the ongoing trend of posting embedded videos without a goal of creating discussion feels like empty posting that can generally be status updates. The news section requires an opinion or statement attached to the article to be posted. Maybe the same thought could be applied to embedded posting within the thread.

Just something I observed and wanted to bring up in the community. I don't post everyday anymore, but I still try to read the thread as often as work/life allows. And I converse everyday with the people I've met here in discord.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

This is gonna be a meta post, but while I don't post much anymore I feel like its something I'd like to bring up. Since really I made my account I have been a poster in this thread, and prior to that active on the overclock.net auto thread. I generally think that tech forums so far have had great automotive communities that aren't narrowed down to one brand/make. It creates a melting pot of fans of different types of vehicles, brands, etc and usually aren't too elitist aside from a few shitters... myself included sometimes even in jest. Its also allowed me to step out of my comfort zone of essentially being a hard core GM nut hugger and dabbling with other brands I had preconceived notions about.

The various discussions weaving in and out of automotive culture within the community keeps things from getting too stale. That said, the ongoing trend of posting embedded videos without a goal of creating discussion feels like empty posting that can generally be status updates. The news section requires an opinion or statement attached to the article to be posted. Maybe the same thought could be applied to embedded posting within the thread.

Just something I observed and wanted to bring up in the community. I don't post everyday anymore, but I still try to read the thread as often as work/life allows. And I converse everyday with the people I've met here in discord.

I agree with you here. I don’t even have time to watch most of them honestly.

at least post something along with the video to provide some context on what you thought was good in it (most of the time I don’t even care if you spoil it, if it sounds interesting enough I’ll still watch it) 

I am talking to myself here too, I’ve posted a couple vids in here without context as well. Sorry about that.

I think the last one I had posted I thought was actually interesting though and I should have put more context instead of only saying you guys needed to see this.

This guy re-created koenigsegg free-valve tech in his backyard on a harbor freight engine and is going to use it on a bigger scale. Was really impressed. He even linked the source code he made to do it

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

I think you're spot on with what you posted, when it comes to random videos ..I don't really watch any of them allthough, granted. I posted one or two videos myself but it's not what I normally do. Saudis in Audis was pretty funny though I don't think such videos gets too many views from this thread in general if you know what I mean.

I read this thread most days, not every day but when I got the time. If I have something to post I probably will but I may not, it depends on what's going on.. if there is a page full of just videos I might not but if I have something to contrubute to a discussion with or anything like wheew fixed my this and that today and it feels great I might post that kind of things. If I do this to create a discussion around it ..I'm not to sure I think I just find it nice if someone else writes about their car repairs or mods, sometimes it turns out as a discussion ..other times it's not much to discuss but hey, a post too many isn't the end of the world or anything.

You're talking about status updates and that makes me think about maybe groups like car enthusiast group getting relevant status updates. Could be cool.

22 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I agree with you here. I don’t even have time to watch most of them honestly.

at least post something along with the video to provide some context on what you thought was good in it (most of the time I don’t even care if you spoil it, if it sounds interesting enough I’ll still watch it) 

I am talking to myself here too, I’ve posted a couple vids in here without context as well. Sorry about that.

I think the last one I had posted I thought was actually interesting though and I should have put more context instead of only saying you guys needed to see this.

This guy re-created koenigsegg free-valve tech in his backyard on a harbor freight engine and is going to use it on a bigger scale. Was really impressed. He even linked the source code he made to do it

Yeah see, I skimmed over this because of that issue...

Anyway, freevalve is really cool and its pretty impressive he created it in his garage. Too bad internal combustion is gonna be the way of the dinosaur before freevalve is mainstream. I still think clamping down on big polluters like small engines and cargo ships would be a much better move to a greener planet than moving general commuters from ICE to EV.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah see, I skimmed over this because of that issue...

Anyway, freevalve is really cool and its pretty impressive he created it in his garage. Too bad internal combustion is gonna be the way of the dinosaur before freevalve is mainstream. I still think clamping down on big polluters like small engines and cargo ships would be a much better move to a greener planet than moving general commuters from ICE to EV.

General commuters will be in ICE cars for decades still. It's very routine for people to drive around a 20+ year old vehicle. Couple that with companies like Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda killing-off their sub-2.0L economy cars, and a base vehicle now starts at $20k. That's just out of the price range of many people, so they'll buy used or keep driving their current cars even longer. I spent $13k on a new car in 2005, I won't be replacing it anytime soon as there isn't anything on the market equivalent to it now. Also, it has paid-back its environmental "deposit" from being manufactured long ago, and if I continue to keep it running well it's more environmentally-friendly to not have someone manufacture me a replacement.

As far as small engines like lawnmowers, without adding an expensive computerized fuel-injection system, with a catalyst, a bunch of sensors, and thereby raising the cost significantly, you can only make a carbureted engine so clean. Cargo ships are probably not changing, per mile traveled they are still very efficient, and battery technology may never exist that could effectively move a laden cargo ship across an ocean.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

6 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

General commuters will be in ICE cars for decades still. It's very routine for people to drive around a 20+ year old vehicle. Couple that with companies like Ford, GM, Toyota, and Honda killing-off their sub-2.0L economy cars, and a base vehicle now starts at $20k. That's just out of the price range of many people, so they'll buy used or keep driving their current cars even longer. I spent $13k on a new car in 2005, I won't be replacing it anytime soon as there isn't anything on the market equivalent to it now. Also, it has paid-back its environmental "deposit" from being manufactured long ago, and if I continue to keep it running well it's more environmentally-friendly to not have someone manufacture me a replacement.

As far as small engines like lawnmowers, without adding an expensive computerized fuel-injection system, with a catalyst, a bunch of sensors, and thereby raising the cost significantly, you can only make a carbureted engine so clean. Cargo ships are probably not changing, per mile traveled they are still very efficient, and battery technology may never exist that could effectively move a laden cargo ship across an ocean.

I’m not sure if it’d be any more efficient but they could easily make hybrid cargo ships. Have electric motors drive the props and use (Likely could be smaller) engines to charge the batteries. 

Small engines is a tough one like you said. That said.. fuel injection is getting cheaper and it’s not like small computers cost much? I mean you can use an arduino for engine management (speeduino for example).

But I agree with you on ICE being in cars for a long time still. We prob won’t fully convert until it’s a logical financial decision to do so (EV’s are still a bit too expensive, even factoring in lower cost of fueling up at home)

also too — this subscription based crap Tesla is pushing is gonna spread and it’s gonna def make me not want anything new. I’m not paying monthly for a feature that should just be there because all the hardware is there. That’s stupid to me. Especially as someone who likes to own things outright.. 

Spoiler

8 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I meant as in new cars. We won't see freevalve in mainstream cars because the advancement to EV has already begun. Yeah, we will still have ICE powered cars on the roads for a long time.

Or just replace the mowers with electric mowers. Cheaper than pouring all that crap on a single cylinder motor. Riding lawnmowers will likely still need to be gas powered until we have tech for lawn roombas or something like that. Cargo ships wont change, true. But I do think their pollution gets swept under the table lot. Can't tell me theres nothing they can do to improve it.

I dunno... I don't trust electric vehicles. I mean we have winter here for most of the year. From October to May we should expect sub zero temperatures which means battery capacity will be lower and charging will take longer. I want a car that can charge its battery while it drives besides ...how enviromentally friendly are EV's when still much electricity is made from coal. I don't think the world is ready for electric motoring. First we should stop using coal plants and similar IMO. Cargo ships and industry is probably responsible for more pollution and destruction of natural habitats than our cars and I don't see that changing even despite of The Paris Agreement, because rich nations can just pay poor countries and increase their allowed carbon output as well as sourcing factories and stuff to the poor countries. Moving a problem only makes the richer nations look better on paper it doesn't solve the problem, which politicians doesn't seem very interested to do anyway. IMHO they're just serving the rich and using the environmental problems as a way to make them look good to voters.

51 minutes ago, vetali said:

Or just replace the mowers with electric mowers.

Very hard for landscaping companies to switch over to electric, recharge time and battery capacity is what kills the switchover. Where I live they spend most of a day doing landscaping for the surrounding neighborhoods and they simply can't afford the downtime to recharge all of their equipment several times a day.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Very hard for landscaping companies to switch over to electric, recharge time and battery capacity is what kills the switchover. Where I live they spend most of a day doing landscaping for the surrounding neighborhoods and they simply can't afford the downtime to recharge all of their equipment several times a day.

Yeah, good point. But for the Kyles that drag out the mower once a week for their 600 sqft "yard", theres no point. Where I live is like John Deere's wet dream. People buying their 5k dollar zero degree turning radius riding lawnmowers for a yard the size of a basketball court.

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah, good point. But for the Kyles that drag out the mower once a week for their 600 sqft "yard", theres no point. Where I live is like John Deere's wet dream. People buying their 5k dollar zero degree turning radius riding lawnmowers for a yard the size of a basketball court.

Oh I definitely agree with you here, regular person who mows their own yard and things like that should have switched over to electric asap. Especially because it's so much quieter. Companies it'll be a lot harder.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh I definitely agree with you here, regular person who mows their own yard and things like that should have switched over to electric asap. Especially because it's so much quieter. Companies it'll be a lot harder.

I pay someone to cut my yard. It’s about .8 acre. They charge me $50/cut which I think is pretty reasonable 

i don’t think I’d want to cut it myself. I rather be doing other things and paying someone lol 

robo mowers don’t seem like a good option yet I’d have to spend $3k on one that would only /maybe/ work properly. If my yard was half the size I’d probably try one 

edit: the husqvarna 450XH is what I had looked at previously. $3250 

not to mention I’m sure someone would try to steal it 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The rechargeable ones will have to get less expensive. I just bought a standard mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine, a decent one, for $250 new. The cheapest decent rechargeable one is at least double that. My last gas mower lasted 15 years, so the batteries will need to get better too.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:23 PM, bcredeur97 said:

That said.. fuel injection is getting cheaper and it’s not like small computers cost much? I mean you can use an arduino for engine management (speeduino for example).

Im  presuming you are talking about 2T engines. Injectors are still pricey in the long-term, carburetors will go for a very long time before need servicing and the price of parts are way below that of a new injector. And less prone to fuel quality (not dirtiness). As for ignition you only need 2 coils, one transformer, one capacitor, and one thyristor. Way cheaper than what an arduino would need to function.

/EDIT

And just as an interesting bit of info you can create a double clutch 2 speed automatic gearbox without electronics.

Alignment is done. 

I just asked for Flyin Miata’s alignment specs, they got pretty close. 

went for a little joyride after through the countryside. Car feels great.

cant believe I’m done with the suspension project I never thought I’d actually do it 😂 

I still need to get new leather for the seats. @Bitterhows your covers from Lseat holding up? 

5F2DA2F4-CB2A-4EF3-BD1F-E697A75CC1E0.jpeg
edit: no why idea why the picture decided to rotate sideways, it’s just a simple portrait pic on my phone

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Alignment is done. 

I just asked for Flyin Miata’s alignment specs, they got pretty close. 

went for a little joyride after through the countryside. Car feels great.

cant believe I’m done with the suspension project I never thought I’d actually do it 😂 

I still need to get new leather for the seats. @Bitterhows your covers from Lseat holding up? 

5F2DA2F4-CB2A-4EF3-BD1F-E697A75CC1E0.jpeg
edit: no why idea why the picture decided to rotate sideways, it’s just a simple portrait pic on my phone

Cross caster is pretty dang close to being out of spec. Its nice their machine greys out non adjustable measurements. Ours will show it as red if its out of spec and non adjustable.