Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

When you're 5 mins late for the meeting

Only 100mph faster than my car can go, no biggie right? I'll get em on the fly by!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Only 100mph faster than my car can go, no biggie right? I'll get em on the fly by!

Or pass em.  That looked like a very unusually empty stretch of autobahn.  Two things people don’t get about the autobahn.  Because of the high speeds it gets pounded so it’s usually under repair (50kph speed limit) or its so full there’s no way to actually go fast.  In order to find an area like that you have to get out between two cities.  That there was the sticks.  He was going nowhere to nowhere.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Or pass em.  That looked like a very unusually empty stretch of autobahn.  Two things people don’t get about the autobahn.  Because of the high speeds it gets pounded so it’s usually under repair (50kph speed limit) or its so full there’s no way to actually go fast.  In order to find an area like that you have to get out between two cities.  That there was the sticks.  He was going nowhere to nowhere.

Ditto for going fast around here too, you gotta find a really empty stretch of flat good quality road which is hard to find. Either a good country lane or a stretch of highway. I will say that the amount of bugs stuck to your car seems to rise exponentially in relation to speed of travel. I get fewer bugs putzing along drafting trucks and doing the speed limit than I do going fast, that alone (plus the fuel cost) means on long drives I tend to spend more time drafting a semi than anything else. They can eat all the bugs for me!

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

That is 231 mph. Or a hair under 340 feet per second. That's just a minute and a half to travel up Mt. Everest, or ~8 seconds to travel from bottom to tippy top of Dubai's Burj Khalifa. Or traveling a US Football field from end-zone-to-end-zone in 1 second. How long does the tank of fuel last at that speed?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If there was a stretch of highway with no speed limit, and I had to drive there, just to drive ON it, so I could drive FAST, I would.

I mean, that's what car cruising is.  Personally, on of my favorite stretches off road is in Tennessee.  The Land Between the Lakes. Almost 50 miles of winding road.

https://goo.gl/maps/2YcAHwts5sfx9BeL9

498051022_ScreenShot2020-04-19at4_57_53PM.png.a4b89c47cf658ecbbf04e413f59751a8.png

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

4 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

If there was a stretch of highway with no speed limit, and I had to drive there, just to drive ON it, so I could drive FAST, I would.

I mean, that's what car cruising is.  Personally, on of my favorite stretches off road is in Tennessee.  The Land Between the Lakes. Almost 50 miles of winding road.

498051022_ScreenShot2020-04-19at4_57_53PM.png.a4b89c47cf658ecbbf04e413f59751a8.png

And no little podunk towns with local cops to set speed traps.  Big advantage.

Wisconsin used to be famous for those.  Was there once with my dad and a cop followed us for like 10 miles trying to keep just barely in the horizon with most of his cruiser behind the military crest of the last hill.  My dad would speed up or slow down and there he stayed.  Drove him so buggy my dad finally slowed too much and the guy ticketed my dad for driving too slowly.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

I'll have to check that out when I'm down in that area sometime, my mom lives in Knoxville near Tail of the Dragon. It's a fun road but not nearly as difficult as everyone made it out to be. Everything is so steeply banked you'd have to be an idiot to come off it!

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Wisconsin used to be famous for those.  Was there once with my dad and a cop followed us for like 10 miles trying to keep just barely in the horizon with most of his cruiser behind the military crest of the last hill.  My dad would speed up or slow down and there he stayed.  Drove him so buggy my dad finally slowed too much and the guy ticketed my dad for driving too slowly.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'll have to check that out when I'm down in that area sometime, my mom lives in Knoxville near Tail of the Dragon. It's a fun road but not nearly as difficult as everyone made it out to be. Everything is so steeply banked you'd have to be an idiot to come off it!

I live in the eastern part of Virginia, and there are absolutely no roads around here that are fun to drive on. My area is completely flat with zero elevation change, and the more rural parts of the state are pretty far away. However, I've been traveling to places in the more mountainous parts of VA during the summer these past few years, and they are so much fun to drive on. The lower-speed twisties combined with not that many people on the roads make them awesome imo.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah, I think despite some really slow moving 15mph traffic we still covered the entire thing in about 30 minutes. There were sections where we were movin!

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

It was really fun.  Not as twisty as Dragon, think a little more relaxed and meandering.  But still plenty of fun.  If I lived up there I'd probably run it every weekend.

1 hour ago, dcgreen2k said:

I live in the eastern part of Virginia, and there are absolutely no roads around here that are fun to drive on. My area is completely flat with zero elevation change, and the more rural parts of the state are pretty far away. However, I've been traveling to places in the more mountainous parts of VA during the summer these past few years, and they are so much fun to drive on. The lower-speed twisties combined with not that many people on the roads make them awesome imo.

Same for me, Chicago.  Nothing but straight roads, or shitty roads.  Mostly a combination of the two at the same time.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

17 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

Same for me, Chicago.  Nothing but straight roads, or shitty roads.  Mostly a combination of the two at the same time.

Get out to Starved Rock area and take a run on Rt. 71, it's fun. I like to get off I-80 at Morris and then drive south and go along that side of the river through some little towns.

Are you around the north, west, or south of the city? I'm way down nearer to Kankakee.

@Thirdgen89GTA

16 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

How long does the tank of fuel last at that speed?

Let me check the gas-

AANNND it's gone. - Blog | South Park Studios

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Hi folks,

Anyone here able to tell me what make / model that is? I initially thought McLaren, but the only model old enough for round rear lights is the F1 and that has pairs of two and not a single one on each side and also a completely different read end. A mate of mine sent me this picture and I can't wrap my head around it:

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.599cc5ed6eec47ae2453363722eb9af8.jpg

An no, I don't have a bigger picture unfortunately .___.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

42 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

Hi folks,

Anyone here able to tell me what make / model that is? I initially thought McLaren, but the only model old enough for round rear lights is the F1 and that has pairs of two and not a single one on each side and also a completely different read end. A mate of mine sent me this picture and I can't wrap my head around it:

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.599cc5ed6eec47ae2453363722eb9af8.jpg

An no, I don't have a bigger picture unfortunately .___.

Part of me really want to say a Spyker, Peugeot, or Renault.  But I can't find a model from any of those MFGs matching the rear of that car.

No idea what that is.  Reminds me of a 60's/70's LeMans car with the periscope for the rear view mirror.

Toys:

1 hour ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

Part of me really want to say a Spyker, Peugeot, or Renault.  But I can't find a model from any of those MFGs matching the rear of that car.

No idea what that is.  Reminds me of a 60's/70's LeMans car with the periscope for the rear view mirror.

We finally figured it out. Though it really is a tough one. Isdera Commendatore 112i

German prototype car - only two built in total, one in 1993 and one in 1999 according to Wikipedia. Probably the only car ever to have its rear view mirror mounted to the roof 😁 Prominently featured in Need for Speed II:

44693194680_8a4029b5a6_h.jpg

Gaming Return for the Isdera Commendatore 112i? | OnlineRaceDriver

All local rivalries aside - Autos bauen können sie - diese Schwaben... 

Correction / Update:

Man, this turned out to be quite the rollercoaster. The car depicted above - with the license plate SLS-CW-112 is the original Isdero Commendatore 112i. That very same car is currently property of the german ISDERA AG. Once the first car was finished, they started working on a second one - but only the frame was finished.

A few years ago, someone bought said frame and tried complete the car. Initially, the ISDERA AG wanted to cooperate, but since the buyer of the frame wanted to alter parts of the car while still trying to get it licensed under the commendatore 112i name, they subsequently refused cooperation.

It looks like the owner of the frame managed to complete the car and succeeded in receiving a license for it, however as a imperator 108i. That's the car of original post. Both parties currently are still fighting over the fact whether the 'rebuild' by a private owner can be called a true 112i , despite the fact that it wasn't build by the Isdera company and subsequently doesn't share the same heritage. Officially, the company is currently trying to resolve the issue and - I quote:

"The ISDERA management and myself are taking all necessary and possible steps to pull this craft off the road. There was and ever will be - unfortunately - only one Commendatore 112i. I sincerely hope that this affair will be settled soon and that such a vilification of the Isdera heritage will be put to an end post-haste by the authorities" - Eberhard Schulz, founder of Isdera, Sept. 2019. (Source, in German: 'Open letter by Eberhard Schul - There is only one isdera commendatore 112'

Boy did I learn something today 😅

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

I'm legit not sure of the future of my state now. Almost Nothing but Oil companies here.
image.png.3b51e4407b950efafb0daac50d9f35a1.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm legit not sure of the future of my state now. Almost Nothing but Oil companies here.

Time to buy big trucks because of gas prices and lucrative financing then cry when everything crashes in a year.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, Speakerator said:

We finally figured it out. Though it really is a tough one. Isdera Commendatore 112i

German prototype car - only two built in total, one in 1993 and one in 1999 according to Wikipedia. Probably the only car ever to have its rear view mirror mounted to the roof 😁 Prominently featured in Need for Speed II:

44693194680_8a4029b5a6_h.jpg

Gaming Return for the Isdera Commendatore 112i? | OnlineRaceDriver

All local rivalries aside - Autos bauen können sie - diese Schwaben... 

Correction / Update:

Man, this turned out to be quite the rollercoaster. The car depicted above - with the license plate SLS-CW-112 is the original Isdero Commendatore 112i. That very same car is currently property of the german ISDERA AG. Once the first car was finished, they started working on a second one - but only the frame was finished.

A few years ago, someone bought said frame and tried complete the car. Initially, the ISDERA AG wanted to cooperate, but since the buyer of the frame wanted to alter parts of the car while still trying to get it licensed under the commendatore 112i name, they subsequently refused cooperation.

It looks like the owner of the frame managed to complete the car and succeeded in receiving a license for it, however as a imperator 108i. That's the car of original post. Both parties currently are still fighting over the fact whether the 'rebuild' by a private owner can be called a true 112i , despite the fact that it wasn't build by the Isdera company and subsequently doesn't share the same heritage. Officially, the company is currently trying to resolve the issue and - I quote:

"The ISDERA management and myself are taking all necessary and possible steps to pull this craft off the road. There was and ever will be - unfortunately - only one Commendatore 112i. I sincerely hope that this affair will be settled soon and that such a vilification of the Isdera heritage will be put to an end post-haste by the authorities" - Eberhard Schulz, founder of Isdera, Sept. 2019. (Source, in German: 'Open letter by Eberhard Schul - There is only one isdera commendatore 112'

Boy did I learn something today 😅

My 1993 Geo Prizm had a roof mounted rear view mirror. Pretty sure all the 7th gen Corolla do as well.

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

image.png.3b51e4407b950efafb0daac50d9f35a1.png

Oil was in trouble before covid though.  It did accelerate things.  The US became an oil exporter rather than an importer 10 years ago.   Which state btw?  The one I think is likely to be most in trouble is North Dakota.  Their oil is exceptionally difficult and expensive to extract.

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

My 1993 Geo Prizm had a roof mounted rear view mirror. Pretty sure all the 7th gen Corolla do as well.

May mean exterior roof.  Interior roof has been common for many years.

I actually did see a concept car from the 80’s with an exterior roof mounted rear view mirror.  I don’t think it was ever built though.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Oil was in trouble before covid though.  It did accelerate things.  The US became an oil exporter rather than an importer 10 years ago.   Which state btw?  The one I think is likely to be most in trouble is North Dakota.  Their oil is exceptionally difficult and expensive to extract.

I actually did see a concept car from the 80’s with an exterior roof mounted rear view mirror.  I don’t think it was ever built though.

Maybe, small pictures on small phone.

A few Isdera's popped up in my google search, and I did notice the two tail lights on them.  But not that specific model so I moved on.

Toys:

Took the Miata out for a cruise this weekend. Runs decent once it gets started, but still a work in progress. Hopefully replacing the throttlebody / Idle Speed Control Valve today to try and fix my idling problems.

Anyone know how I can fix the paint issues on the front bumper other than completely redoing it? Never seen paint damage like this, almost looks like the raw plastic underneath.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200419161639799_COVER.jpg

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Now that the market price is NEGATIVE $37.... all the states really.

I'm in Louisiana. Quite literally built on oil. Our state budget was relying on oil to be $57/barrel for the year. every $1 underneath that puts us at a $12 million deficit.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Took the Miata out for a cruise this weekend. Runs decent once it gets started, but still a work in progress. Hopefully replacing the throttlebody / Idle Speed Control Valve today to try and fix my idling problems.

Anyone know how I can fix the paint issues on the front bumper other than completely redoing it? Never seen paint damage like this, almost looks like the raw plastic underneath.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200419161639799_COVER.jpg

They’re all on the nose cap and the nose cap is plastic iirc.  One cheapass solution might be covering It with an auto bra.  Not a fix exactly.

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Now that the market price is NEGATIVE $37.... all the states really.

I'm in Louisiana. Quite literally built on oil. Our state budget was relying on oil to be $57/barrel for the year. every $1 underneath that puts us at a $12 million deficit.

Derp.  That was right stupid.  Oil has been dropping steadily for years.  Saw a similar problem happen with e-cigarettes and “tobacco bonds”.  It’s a big complicated mess but it had to do with the tobacco settlement of many years ago covered in the movie “the insider”. Basically e-cigarettes were the only thing that has ever reduced smoking in a statistically noticeable way and it did it by a lot. Thing is this reduced the value of tobacco bonds and put state budgets in trouble so the states most in trouble were forced to actually promote smoking.

Going to bring this to the car section discussion so we don't flood the other thread:

@JZStudios @GDRRiley @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito @theninja35 @mr moose

Okay, so I am still interested in the pricing of the kits you people are finding. As I said, I could only find replacement consumeables for about $600. Rear Disc conversion kits for a 1997-ish Honda Civic, as a kit (albeit a "big brake" kit, so you need minimum 15-inch wheels) is $744.99. Also, for clarification, only reason I'm using the 1997 Honda Civic HX as my metric is because I learned that prices of things for this model was the lowest of any other vehicle I've previously owned by a long shot; i.e.: any other kits/sets are going to be higher priced.

What aftermarket rims are going to be had (sans tires?) plus rear brake conversion kit/setup/etc. for $700?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)