Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Youre meant to push the right pedal for that

Maybe he cant reach the floor :thonk:

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

41 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So I bought another bike! ?

Reveal hidden contents

It's a 1990 Honda NSR 125R

KfHnnIN.jpg

It's a little ratty, needs a bit of TLC but nothing is too bad. Engine, frame and suspension is all good from what I have seen. The cosmetics, lights and tires are not the best though. Front break had no leaver and the reservoir was bad, the little window just fell out into my hand when I tapped it so that's one thing that needs replacing. Oh and this is what the rear break fluid looked like:

Reveal hidden contents

cGtWdy4.jpg

Looked like someone put coffee in there...

Anyway after a few hours of work it's torn down, front light needs to be fastened better, i don't think it would pass inspection like this. That, tires, a bit of touch up paint and the front break and it's all ready for my brother! Yah it's not for me, even if I want to ride it ?
You can remove the exhaust plug and update the papers to get 21KW legally, the bike is 135KG so that would be amazing fun. It's already quick from what little I have ridden xD

2 Stroke,  automatic thumbs up . Check the power valve , as it can be a pain if its not synchronised properly with the throttle . Good thing to check is the plug should be golden brown ideally ( mixture wise ) , and if you do remove the exhaust restriction you will have to jet up a few sizes . 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Maybe he cant reach the floor :thonk:

This reminds me;

I actually used to work with a dwarf who drives a matte black 335i and has to have pedal extensions.

The pedal extensions extend behind the pedal slightly, so its impossible for him to actually use 100% throttle because it hits the floor. I couldn't think of a solution at the time..

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

2 Stroke,  automatic thumbs up . Check the power valve , as it can be a pain if its not synchronised properly with the throttle . Good thing to check is the plug should be golden brown ideally ( mixture wise ) , and if you do remove the exhaust restriction you will have to jet up a few sizes . 

Thanks for the tips! Power band is very dualsmokey with not even enough power to move the bike below 3k, very little power from 3k to 7k but once it hits that magic 7k it shoots away like a rocket xD Got any tips on the power valve? Nothing felt of when I have ridden it around. Will check sparkplug tomorrow.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Thanks for the tips! Power band is very dualsmokey with not even enough power to move the bike below 3k, very little power from 3k to 7k but once it hits that magic 7k it shoots away like a rocket xD Got any tips on the power valve? Nothing felt of when I have ridden it around. Will check sparkplug tomorrow.

Powervalve should follow throttle opening on those models , later models got the RPM or vacuum operated power valves . There are lots of info on line how to check and adjust them , but basically it should stay closed till 5-6k RPM then open up to full position and stay open at above 8k RPM . 

If its lacking a lot of power down low , it could need some adjusting . Really not alot can go wrong on those engines , if Honda knows how to make anything at all , its their 2strokes . 

Other stuff includes opening up the engine , to inspect the bore for signs of past seizures and general engine health .  Some stuff to watch out for is wear on the exhaust side of the cylinder , it should not exhibit any more wear than the transfer port sides , otherwise it was ran too lean (more heat = piston + rings expand more and since heat transfer is un-even between the two sides , exhaust side tends to wear out quicker especially around the bridge area ) 

Since you said it behaves ok , a basic plug and compression test should tell you all you need to know . 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Dingle said:

Powervalve should follow throttle opening on those models , later models got the RPM or vacuum operated power valves . There are lots of info on line how to check and adjust them , but basically it should stay closed till 5-6k RPM then open up to full position and stay open at above 8k RPM . 

If its lacking a lot of power down low , it could need some adjusting . Really not alot can go wrong on those engines , if Honda knows how to make anything at all , its their 2strokes . 

Other stuff includes opening up the engine , to inspect the bore for signs of past seizures and general engine health .  Some stuff to watch out for is wear on the exhaust side of the cylinder , it should not exhibit any more wear than the transfer port sides , otherwise it was ran too lean (more heat = piston + rings expand more and since heat transfer is un-even between the two sides , exhaust side tends to wear out quicker especially around the bridge area ) 

Since you said it behaves ok , a basic plug and compression test should tell you all you need to know . 

I think part of why it felt so sluggish down low was the very low tire pressure, probably only 10-15PSI or so along with a still kind of cold engine on grass is at least a bit of it. I think I read the power valve was operated by a servo too? I'll read some more online but engine seems fine so far :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think part of why it felt so sluggish down low was the very low tire pressure, probably only 10-15PSI or so along with a still kind of cold engine on grass is at least a bit of it. I think I read the power valve was operated by a servo too? I'll read some more online but engine seems fine so far :)

Yeah , servo , cable or vacuum operated . Should be fun once de-restricted , maybe throw a 32mm carby on it , with a boyseen rid kit ... and a different pipe to suit your riding style ... 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

23 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yep especially if the guy you’re overtaking is an idiot and decides to try to speed up too. 

If you ever wondered why they make cars with 700hp for the road I’m pretty sure that’s why LOL

in the Miata passing someone is:

1. Get back a decent distance

2 wait for a gap

3. When you see a large gap coming, floor it

4. Stay behind in the draft as long as possible and swing out and around and then pass them 

It’s like so overly dramatic just to pass someone it’s stupid LOL

Not if you gut 200+ lbs out of the car! Removing the interior, gutting the dash, removing sound deadening, trunk liner, spare tire, jack, emissions equipment, removing the passenger seat and replacing the driver seat with a 9lb Ultra Shield, depowering the steering rack and removing AC, removing shipping tow hooks, removing soft top and frame and replacing with a hardtop, etc. The car not only gained power back from dropping the AC and PS, but with all the weight gone there is quite a noticeable difference in how the car picks up. 80-100+ still accelerates like a dog but up to 80 it shaved several seconds off. I'd say I could easily beat a mini van now whereas before it was the race of the century.

Sucks for daily driving especially in Texas summer but so worth it. Looks cool without the interior too lol

Huge update on the 400HP built BP!

I have the longblock fully assembled; clean, fresh paint, all buttoned up!

IMG_1805.thumb.jpg.a80fb7fd7fd61afa4012fac0c0dc7baa.jpg

Of course, I am only $4k into a $15k build but this is a huge step and I'm super happy with how it turned out. I think the next thing I'm going to save for is the turbo manifold kit and the EFR 6758 (which is $3k by itself smh), but I really need to get my ECU soon so that might come first. My MAF sensor is failing on the old engine in the car and I can just straight up delete it with the new ECU, plus it would give me a good chance to get into tuning a bit more.

11 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

floor it a bit sooner? use the sport mode ... if it has one? 

no sport mode sadly. :sadpepe:

10 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Odd. I’ve never had that problem with the 4L60e which is garbage according to the internet. And the tahoe is like 5300/5400 pounds

well subaru really derped and added fake gear shifting, which kinda defeats the purpose of a cvt.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Of course, I am only $4k into a $15k build but this is a huge step and I'm super happy with how it turned out. I think the next thing I'm going to save for is the turbo manifold kit and the EFR 6758 (which is $3k by itself smh), but I really need to get my ECU soon so that might come first. My MAF sensor is failing on the old engine in the car and I can just straight up delete it with the new ECU, plus it would give me a good chance to get into tuning a bit more.

inb4 you sell the car as soon as its done

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

How bad is a slightly leaking front fork... Just noticed that one of the front forks on the NSR might be leaking ?

*edit*

IMG_20190807_133320.thumb.jpg.7c45695c843dd5ee8b1a34c62ab46431.jpg

also:

Spoiler

IMG_20190807_133254.thumb.jpg.1c542905371eadec8b0d3f42ea8eec7f.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

inb4 you sell the car as soon as its done

Not gonna happen lol this car is here to stay.

@MEC-777 they're using the F1 track for pokemon go next month aaaaahhhh kinda wanna go

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/safarizone-montreal-2019/

image.png.c9ac5b37cafc7b12f8918fb8b4cef703.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

5 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Not gonna happen lol this car is here to stay.

gotta own it at least 40 years

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"sounds like something is wearing out." 

"oh, I'm on the rim." 

Haven't even had em a full month yet, damn. 

20190807_094331.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 8/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, byalexandr said:

One of the most beautiful things I've seen all day.

I'm jealous!

On 8/6/2019 at 5:06 PM, byalexandr said:

hey I have the same turbo! :D

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

On 8/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

How bad is a slightly leaking front fork... Just noticed that one of the front forks on the NSR might be leaking ?

*edit*

IMG_20190807_133320.thumb.jpg.7c45695c843dd5ee8b1a34c62ab46431.jpg

also:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20190807_133254.thumb.jpg.1c542905371eadec8b0d3f42ea8eec7f.jpg

Sometimes you can get away with cleaning the seals out with a fork buddy.

Pete

nvm

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

My guess would be locked up parking brake, they grab harder in reverse sometimes or a brake caliper came loose and is jamming against the wheel in reverse. Anything that bad with the trans should present issues moving forward as well, at least some noise.

Just another day on the TTC, eh

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB