Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

49 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

How much torque does it make at 2000 rpm tho?

Like, 4?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

19 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

bruh where in the hell would you use more than 400hp daily? 

Image result for we're going to mexico super troopers

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Today I'm going to get a new clutch kit and flywheel for the Corolla since it was slipping pretty heavily during the winter. All the parts have pretty good reviews online and I'm hoping that I can find time to get it all installed before school starts again.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

You know despite their flaws I actually don't mind the Austin/Rover Maestro & Montego. 

Maestro:

Image result for austin maestro

Montego:

Image result for austin montego

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

19 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

how is the 325d? any big issues you had with it?

Well, the engine has a few weak points but not major ones. One issue is, that both cooling liquid thermostats are breaking pretty easily and often. The problem then is, that the coolant doesn't go higher than 65 to 85°C (depending which thermostat broke) when it's cold outside. The diesel particular filter needs active regeneration (the engine has a special mode for this, so it burns out the filter) which is only starting when the car has reached operating temperature. With a broken thermostat it probably never happens and so the diesel particular filter will clog. If it's clogged (exhaust pressure reaches a specific limit) you HAVE to change the filter which is around 2000€ in Germany. Just because of one or two broken thermostats which cost ~25€ each... :( The easiest thing to avoid this is to monitor your coolant temperature somehow. Unfortunately it doesn't have a gauge for that in the instrument cluster, unless you do some hacking (= coding) and replace the "current consumption gauge" with a coolant temperature gauge :) But the thermostats on my one didn't fail for the last 3 years/60.000km, so it's not like its breaking every month or so :D

But to get to your question, no, I never had big issues with it. Except for changing the thermostat twice and the "exhaust gas return cooler" (i really think the english abbreviation is EGR for this) once I never had to change a part irregularly. But I care for my car, change the oil every 10.000km and the air filter every 30.000km. :)

21 minutes ago, Organized said:

Well, the engine has a few weak points but not major ones. One issue is, that both cooling liquid thermostats are breaking pretty easily and often. The problem then is, that the coolant doesn't go higher than 65 to 85°C (depending which thermostat broke) when it's cold outside. The diesel particular filter needs active regeneration (the engine has a special mode for this, so it burns out the filter) which is only starting when the car has reached operating temperature. With a broken thermostat it probably never happens and so the diesel particular filter will clog. If it's clogged (exhaust pressure reaches a specific limit) you HAVE to change the filter which is around 2000€ in Germany. Just because of one or two broken thermostats which cost ~25€ each... :( The easiest thing to avoid this is to monitor your coolant temperature somehow. Unfortunately it doesn't have a gauge for that in the instrument cluster, unless you do some hacking (= coding) and replace the "current consumption gauge" with a coolant temperature gauge :) But the thermostats on my one didn't fail for the last 3 years/60.000km, so it's not like its breaking every month or so :D

But to get to your question, no, I never had big issues with it. Except for changing the thermostat twice and the "exhaust gas return cooler" (i really think the english abbreviation is EGR for this) once I never had to change a part irregularly. But I care for my car, change the oil every 10.000km and the air filter every 30.000km. :)

oh the thermostat issue doesnt sound terrible
and about the DPF ... i would just delete it on the car that ... IF it gets clogged
Dont know how Germany is about DPF but here in Latvia noone really cares as long as its done right 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Dont know how Germany is about DPF but here in Latvia noone really cares as long as its done right 

In Germany they reintroduced exhaust gas measurements even on newer cars. For a few years, they had only done a OBD2 emission check which is pretty useless on modified cars :)

But if you have a good tune which is optimized for less particles (like mine) nobody will notice it in normal traffic, even without a DPF.

I think this Smart car we've got has a bad Sprint shift module, ugh. 3 lines of death on the gauge cluster, gross.

13 minutes ago, Organized said:

In Germany they reintroduced exhaust gas measurements even on newer cars. For a few years, they had only done a OBD2 emission check which is pretty useless on modified cars :)

But if you have a good tune which is optimized for less particles (like mine) nobody will notice it in normal traffic, even without a DPF.

Yeah i hate the black smoke clouds from diesels .. but i hate what a clogged DPF does 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Well, I sold the M3 sedan this past weekend. Down to just the SS and the M3 coupe track machine. I'm debating trading the SS in on a Model 3P as well...

As for why 400hp, why not? Merging is quite nice when you don't have to think about it. You see a spot and there you are.

As for E92s....I dig em. The M3 with DCT and coilovers will clear 295 sticky tires and runs truly stupid lap times, while sounding glorious. Big fan.

31 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Well, I sold the M3 sedan this past weekend. Down to just the SS and the M3 coupe track machine. I'm debating trading the SS in on a Model 3P as well...

As for why 400hp, why not? Merging is quite nice when you don't have to think about it. You see a spot and there you are.

As for E92s....I dig em. The M3 with DCT and coilovers will clear 295 sticky tires and runs truly stupid lap times, while sounding glorious. Big fan.

i somehow prefer the 335i and 335d over the M3 

but they can run stupid lap times 

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i somehow prefer the 335i and 335d over the M3 

but they can run stupid lap times 

for an all-rounder daily, yea the 335i is the winner. I liked my buddy's car-- throttle response was a solid meh/10 and the lag was annoying, but once the turbos were on boil it was quite a playful car.

I wasn't impressed with the 335d. Sure it's got torque, but the lag was not pleasant, and it felt like it ran out of steam too early. For a commute mobile, sure, I guess....just didn't satisfy my enthusiast wants in the way the 335i does. Auto only also was a major ugh.

That all said, I'd take an M3/DCT in a heartbeat over either. Better noise, actual throttle response, etc etc.

Another thing with having good power in a daily. If you don't have enough power it makes overtaking on back roads a nightmare. E.G. The Impala is trash

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Another thing with having good power in a daily. If you don't have enough power it makes overtaking on back roads a nightmare. E.G. The Impala is trash

Yep especially if the guy you’re overtaking is an idiot and decides to try to speed up too. 

If you ever wondered why they make cars with 700hp for the road I’m pretty sure that’s why LOL

in the Miata passing someone is:

1. Get back a decent distance

2 wait for a gap

3. When you see a large gap coming, floor it

4. Stay behind in the draft as long as possible and swing out and around and then pass them 

It’s like so overly dramatic just to pass someone it’s stupid LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yep. In the SS it's as simple as 'should i downshift to pass nahhh oh cool i passed'

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yep especially if the guy you’re overtaking is an idiot and decides to try to speed up too. 

If you ever wondered why they make cars with 700hp for the road I’m pretty sure that’s why LOL

2 wait for a gap

4. Stay behind in the draft as long as possible and swing out and around and then pass them 

Oh man I forgot all about your NB. Shit I thought I had it bad

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Oh man I forgot all about your NB. Shit I thought I had it bad

Nah man, in my 2.0 auto 626 I don't even pass unless there's a solid 1/8th mile gap in traffic coming up in the fast lane. When my mom replaced it with her 2.5 Mazda 3 one of her first remarks was 'I can pass other cars now!' LOL

14 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Well, I sold the M3 sedan this past weekend.

5845cd230b2a3b54fdbaecf7.png.314cce25d35575e2ab7f79f18acd9bcf.png

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

2 wait for a gap

i can barely pass people in a 2.5 subaru outback mainly due to a trash ass cvt. if it had a real auto it probably wouldn't have issues passing up people 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

21 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i can barely pass people in a 2.5 subaru outback mainly due to a trash ass cvt. if it had a real auto it probably wouldn't have issues passing up people 

floor it a bit sooner? use the sport mode ... if it has one? 

36 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I know how you feel with my 2.0 Impreza with cvt. I passed someone for the first time yesterday, but got kinda close to an oncoming outback.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yes, those Subaru CVT 4cyl are bad slow. Weak ratios, might as well be driving a Jeep Compass.

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

Youre meant to push the right pedal for that

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

So I bought another bike! ?

Spoiler

It's a 1990 Honda NSR 125R

KfHnnIN.jpg

It's a little ratty, needs a bit of TLC but nothing is too bad. Engine, frame and suspension is all good from what I have seen. The cosmetics, lights and tires are not the best though. Front break had no leaver and the reservoir was bad, the little window just fell out into my hand when I tapped it so that's one thing that needs replacing. Oh and this is what the rear break fluid looked like:

Spoiler

cGtWdy4.jpg

Looked like someone put coffee in there...

Anyway after a few hours of work it's torn down, front light needs to be fastened better, i don't think it would pass inspection like this. That, tires, a bit of touch up paint and the front break and it's all ready for my brother! Yah it's not for me, even if I want to ride it ?
You can remove the exhaust plug and update the papers to get 21KW legally, the bike is 135KG so that would be amazing fun. It's already quick from what little I have ridden xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016