Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@Not_Sean So the Koni Shocks + Eibach struts have developed a squeak seemingly overnight in the front, specifically driver side. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the salt on the roads, or my snow tires or what, but I notice it every time I slow down to a stop because I can hear the weight shifting to the front, and the squeak/creek continues the harder I force the car to slow down, and I'll occasionally hear it when going over a bump. A Speed bump would completely confirm my suspicions but I mean what else could it be? It's definitely not brakes (it's not a metallic screeching sound of brake pads being low)

I'm also running on about 2.5 hours of sleep so thats fun

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

looking around the web it seems like i should be just fine putting DOT 4+ in my bike even though it asks for DOT 4 break fluid and still has some in there, but i thought id ask you guys before i do.

the bleed nipple was left open the entire drive home from where it was(like 350km from here) and all the test drives i have done since i got it home to fix the idle. anyway noticed that the break fluid was pretty much gone and that the front caliper was strangely wet for being in a warm garage ? explains why the break was kinda squishy at least :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Logitech G600 gotcha beat. 20 buttons total

I want one of those.

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

i cant be the only one who likes the NB more than the NA miata 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

5 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i cant be the only one who likes the NB more than the NA miata 

You're not. I prefer the NBs as well. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

You're not. I prefer the NBs as well. 

mazdaspeed NB is best miata :ph34r:

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

5 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

mazdaspeed NB is best miata :ph34r:

Yes! Very!

546b546ab07ca_-_2004-mazdaspeed-mx-5-mia

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

@Not_Sean So the Koni Shocks + Eibach struts have developed a squeak seemingly overnight in the front, specifically driver side. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the salt on the roads, or my snow tires or what, but I notice it every time I slow down to a stop because I can hear the weight shifting to the front, and the squeak/creek continues the harder I force the car to slow down, and I'll occasionally hear it when going over a bump. A Speed bump would completely confirm my suspicions but I mean what else could it be? It's definitely not brakes (it's not a metallic screeching sound of brake pads being low)

I'm also running on about 2.5 hours of sleep so thats fun

My Civic did that too but it went away. Maybe your springs are just wearing in or something 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

My Civic did that too but it went away. Maybe your springs are just wearing in or something 

Dunno. I actually tested going over speed bumps (they definitely flexed) but no squeak. So I'm not sure what it is. They've been installed for at least 5 months and have probably 5k-ish miles on them

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

Today on rorznzsblogtechtips.com I've made a bit more progress. Still a lot to smooth out but its looking a lot better. I'm thinking ill go with silver and then finish with one layer of clear. IMG_0207.thumb.jpeg.989cea26db26a2c406eb09cf3ea4a48c.jpeg

I got it done so early that its only 2007. This date is also a little worrying as the default date as the car (and driven) in 2005. 

49 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Dunno. I actually tested going over speed bumps (they definitely flexed) but no squeak. So I'm not sure what it is. They've been installed for at least 5 months and have probably 5k-ish miles on them

OEM strut mounts?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

OEM strut mounts?

Yes (Ignore the top assembly's orientation I got it fixed)

20180522_193733.thumb.jpg.4a4e5a4e108a3caf96006820c3a5c31e.jpg

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Yes (Ignore the top assembly's orientation I got it fixed)

-snip-

no spring isolator on the bottom of the spring where it contacts the strut? might be why..

Idk why kits never include those things...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

no spring isolator on the bottom of the spring where it contacts the strut? might be why..

Idk why kits never include those things...

Interesting. It's definitely rubbing metal-metal so thats a potential

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Interesting. It's definitely rubbing metal-metal so thats a potential

maybe get some kind of light lubricant such as like a silicone spray or something and spray where the base of the spring contacts the strut.

if the noise goes away, you def know what the problem is. In which case get some factory spring isolators if they fit and put them on there. I don't see why they wouldn't? if they don't you'll need to figure something out. Some springs have like a plastic/rubber coating on the bottom to act as an isolator. I've always wondered how one could "apply" this to a spring that doesn't have it

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

looking around the web it seems like i should be just fine putting DOT 4+ in my bike even though it asks for DOT 4 break fluid and still has some in there, but i thought id ask you guys before i do.

the bleed nipple was left open the entire drive home from where it was(like 350km from here) and all the test drives i have done since i got it home to fix the idle. anyway noticed that the break fluid was pretty much gone and that the front caliper was strangely wet for being in a warm garage ? explains why the break was kinda squishy at least :P 

Yeah you’re good. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point of the fluid. I think that’s about the only difference though

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Yeah you’re good. The higher the number, the higher the boiling point of the fluid. I think that’s about the only difference though

DOT 5 is silicone based and cannot be used in traditional systems otherwise it will destroy the brake system. 

Theres a DOT 5.1 now, that is "conventional"

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

magic

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Today on rorznzsblogtechtips.com I've made a bit more progress. Still a lot to smooth out but its looking a lot better. I'm thinking ill go with silver and then finish with one layer of clear.

IMG_0207.thumb.jpeg.989cea26db26a2c406eb09cf3ea4a48c.jpeg

It's dangerous to drive on the wrong side of the road

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

DOT 5 is silicone based and cannot be used in traditional systems otherwise it will destroy the brake system. 

Theres a DOT 5.1 now, that is "conventional"

come to think of it, are there any cars out there that actually call for dot 5? i've never really seen it at like autozone or walmart, so i'm sure it isn't that common.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

11 minutes ago, terrytek said:

come to think of it, are there any cars out there that actually call for dot 5? i've never really seen it at like autozone or walmart, so i'm sure it isn't that common.

LLV such as postal rigs use it. Typically you have to request it at a parts store. They put it behind the counter to prevent people from killing themselves. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

32 minutes ago, vetali said:

LLV such as postal rigs use it. Typically you have to request it at a parts store. They put it behind the counter to prevent people from killing themselves. 

It’s a long term service fluid. Military vehicles use it as well. @terrytek

i theory you could use it in your car if you could completely get rid of any and all dot 3/4. It’s very important the 2 fluids aren’t mixed. The pedal feel supposedly sucks tho.

i have not seen anyone try this however. And it’s not really worth doing it apart from maybe YouTube views or something

they shouldn’t of called the stuff DOT 5. That was a dumb move. Needs a completely different name really

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

It's dangerous to drive on the wrong side of the road

I'm not driving on a road

15 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My first thought is that your throwout bearing isn't doing throwout bearing things very well, getting hung up and causing the clutch to not fully engage/disengage. 

That looks like needs a lot of works, so it's going to scrap heap then i guess. 

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!