Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

A reference to this

Image result for pay f to pay respects

It's still drives great...just the squeak during acceleration (it seems to be more when the car leans back during acceleration and leans forward during breaking...all at low speeds, like sub 10mph) and then ticky fan! I can't afford to get another car. :(

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Why can't RAM just make their own counterpart to the Suburban?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Durango?

2 minutes ago, RatedBlam said:

Must be something between WWII Japanese steel and Chinese pot metal. 

Still wasn't the weirdest thing about my golf though. If you shifted it into second it would drive just fine. And have nothing weird going on. But a full second or two after the shift it would have a brief scraping sound. I still have no idea what caused it and i looked it over several times. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

How do you "accidentally" buy a Camaro?

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Its a good looking one though. What was wrong with it? 

It was not good looking and everything was wrong with it haha.

So this was back in ~2008ish during the housing crisis, and this family friend of mine was in some deep shit with his ARM loan that he could no longer afford. He mentioned that they've had a '68 camaro out rusting away in their tree line since he was a kid. I figured "fuck, a 68 camaro is worth $500 no matter what the condition is." So I offered him $500 for the car sight unseen, he accepted and I cut him a check. 

A couple weeks later I came with our trailer to get it... it wasnt a '68, it was a '78. Big difference. I knew the money was already gone, and didnt want to be an ass so I loaded it up, along with an extra trans, extra Z28 hood and fenders too. 

I was so disappointed I didnt even put it in our barn, this thing was a complete basket case. Parts car, at best. And even if I could get it back into good shape, it was a car no one wanted. (78s had the ugly as fuck giant rubber bumpers, and way over the top fender venting, it was bad. real bad.) I stuck it in the trees behind our barn for about a year.

Eventually I posted it on Craigslist for $650 as a parts car. Surprisingly some guy building a drag car actually came and took it for $650, and was happy to get it. His wife was a bit pissed but that wasnt my problem.

So that's how I accidentally bought a '78 Camaro, and made money on it. Life appears to have a sense of humor sometimes. :) 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

So this morning I woke up this harshly and suddenly due to a painful cramp in my lower right calf. It hurt so bad! I had to cover my mouth with a pillow so I could yell without waking everyone up lol

..then my alarm went off literally 2 minutes later. 

so how was everyone else's morning?

dreamt about being able to drive stick expertly, alarm rang, let it rang, woke up, questioned how the hell i've always managed to wake up so early

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I wonder the same thing, but with Toyota. They build their trucks in Texas anyway, and I think they're capable of building a full size SUV, but it wouldn't be like Toyota to do that, but they pretty much have a car in every single car category.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Durango?

A) Dodge

B) The Suburban is a Silverado turned SUV. The Durango is the Dakota turned SUV, or it would be had RAM or Dodge kept it around. I want that, but a RAM 1500 or 2500

C) I want a huge SUV.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, terrytek said:

I wonder the same thing, but with Toyota. They build their trucks in Texas anyway, and I think they're capable of building a full size SUV, but it wouldn't be like Toyota to do that, but they pretty much have a car in every single car category.

Also yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Satin black

Didnt want to go gloss black or too light of a grey cause of the color of the car

Will get pics once I get her back.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

It was not good looking and everything was wrong with it haha.

So this was back in ~2008ish during the housing crisis, and this family friend of mine was in some deep shit with his ARM loan that he could no longer afford. He mentioned that they've had a '68 camaro out rusting away in their tree line since he was a kid. I figured "fuck, a 68 camaro is worth $500 no matter what the condition is." So I offered him $500 for the car sight unseen, he accepted and I cut him a check. 

A couple weeks later I came with our trailer to get it... it wasnt a '68, it was a '78. Big difference. I knew the money was already gone, and didnt want to be an ass so I loaded it up, along with an extra trans, extra Z28 hood and fenders too. 

I was so disappointed I didnt even put it in our barn, this thing was a complete basket case. Parts car, at best. And even if I could get it back into good shape, it was a car no one wanted. (78s had the ugly as fuck giant rubber bumpers, and way over the top fender venting, it was bad. real bad.) I stuck it in the trees behind our barn for about a year.

Eventually I posted it on Craigslist for $650 as a parts car. Surprisingly some guy building a drag car actually came and took it for $650, and was happy to get it. His wife was a bit pissed but that wasnt my problem.

So that's how I accidentally bought a '78 Camaro, and made money on it. Life appears to have a sense of humor sometimes. :) 

That's amazing.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A) Dodge

B) The Suburban is a Silverado turned SUV. The Durango is the Dakota turned SUV, or it would be had RAM or Dodge kept it around. I want that, but a RAM 1500 or 2500

C) I want a huge SUV.

Dodge and Ram are the same thing. The new one isn't based on a Dakota. Great? The Durango isn't what you'd call "small."

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Dodge and Ram are the same thing. The new one isn't based on a Dakota. Great? The Durango isn't what you'd call "small."

Dodge and RAM were, but they split into 2 seperate entities under the same parent company. RAM does trucks and Vans, Dodge does cars. The Dakota got axed one year in.

The Durango is somewhere in the middle. But I would call it on the smaller side of conventionally sized SUVs. Whereas the Suburban is the same size as a Silverado 1500.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

It's still drives great...just the squeak during acceleration (it seems to be more when the car leans back during acceleration and leans forward during breaking...all at low speeds, like sub 10mph) and then ticky fan! I can't afford to get another car. :(

likely shock/strut mounts. how old is the car (age, not just mileage)?

I find after about 10-15 years these things start to appear. on some cars it's earlier, especially if it sees rough roads and dry conditions often.

My miata has started making a weird squeak from probably the shock mounts in the rear just recently, and it's nearing 16 years of age. about time to overhaul the suspension. I want to put new control arms, shocks, basically change anything that has a bushing or any rubber bits on it. They are all ancient and probably really hard and dry by now.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 minutes ago, techswede said:

Still wasn't the weirdest thing about my golf though. If you shifted it into second it would drive just fine. And have nothing weird going on. But a full second or two after the shift it would have a brief scraping sound. I still have no idea what caused it and i looked it over several times. 

Good thing it's a rear spring so you can barely tell. 

Maybe they had gone a tad too small on the legendary German tolerances :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

1 minute ago, RatedBlam said:

Good thing it's a rear spring so you can barely tell. 

Maybe they had gone a tad too small on the legendary German tolerances :P

Even with the front spring it was hard to tell. Maybe some engineer thought

"Well. Boss iz not giving me zhe funds to make ziz zhe best it can be. BUT IT WIL MAKE IT TO POLAND NO MATTER WHAT!"

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Even with the front spring it was hard to tell. Maybe some engineer thought

"Well. Boss iz not giving me zhe funds to make ziz zhe best it can be. BUT IT WIL MAKE IT TO POLAND NO MATTER WHAT!"

The gears are making themselves some more lebensraum. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I really like Koni Yellow shocks(that mazdaspeed 3 I was supposed to drive last month was on them, I at least got to ride. And the way the car would drive with them you could just tell they were very nice. A little stiff, but not uncomfortable. And he said because he couldn't adjust them in the rear he had them set pretty stiff), but I'm about to just go for the KYB AGX ones for the sake of just getting new shocks on the car... they are literally half the price.

I may get to drive the MS3 this month.

Decisions, decisions. I wish I could get good stuff for like half price lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 minutes ago, techswede said:

dang it

Ij8dcuT.png

And here I am complaining about 13 degrees at 8PM... Jesus fuck

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

And its only going to get colder.. Expecting snow in the coming weeks. 

17 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It' 5C here, I love it.

49 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Also yes.

If there was a bigger suv based on the Tundra the size of a Suburban, tbh I would buy it. Enough room for cargo an dpassengers, and probably is very off road capable.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

44 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

likely shock/strut mounts. how old is the car (age, not just mileage)?

I find after about 10-15 years these things start to appear. on some cars it's earlier, especially if it sees rough roads and dry conditions often.

My miata has started making a weird squeak from probably the shock mounts in the rear just recently, and it's nearing 16 years of age. about time to overhaul the suspension. I want to put new control arms, shocks, basically change anything that has a bushing or any rubber bits on it. They are all ancient and probably really hard and dry by now.

It's a 2010 Mazda 2, so approaching 8 years old and it's done approximately 55,000 miles.

It's just that it happened straight after a MOT/service. It didn't happen when I took it in and it happened as soon as I drove it home. I know I should have taken it back to the garage, but I didn't have time. I'll get them to have a look again when it goes in next year.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

28 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

It's a 2010 Mazda 2, so approaching 8 years old and it's done approximately 55,000 miles.

It's just that it happened straight after a MOT/service. It didn't happen when I took it in and it happened as soon as I drove it home. I know I should have taken it back to the garage, but I didn't have time. I'll get them to have a look again when it goes in next year.

ah, during an MOT over there I know they actually poke around on the suspension (unlike here in the US where no one does anything for inspections lol)

Because they messed with it, it likely caused some of the old rubber to shift or move around enough in a way that it makes it start squeaking. I remember on my dad's G35 that it was silent until one day when we had to change a lower control arm, which we changed, and I guess from just moving things around and poking around in there, the bushings on the upper control arm started making noise.

Literally a "once you touch it, it becomes a problem" Kind of problem. Things being forced to moved around in ways they normally aren't under normal use.

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Thats a Blazer equivelant. 

A Durango is so much larger than a Blazer.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

A Durango is so much larger than a Blazer.

It's not that much bigger, which is sad because the Blazer was made as an in between for the Bronco and a two door Jeep.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.