Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

37 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

cant wait till lightweight electric cars(that can still go far and dont drive themselves) become a thing

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

im gonna get 2 of these soon for the miata for everyday. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=95WR6DWS06&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

question is when is soon. 

Current front tires do have what looks to be slight cracking on the outside edge but it also looks just like i've been cornering too hard with them... and I kinda do. I abuse the fronts and have understeered into many a corner. 

but they are also from 2011.

decisions, decisions. You know putting off a $250 purchase isn't hard especially when you literally have 3(tho only 2 i can really use; but different dimensions too even tho they fit :/ ) sets of tires for your car xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

OR I can get some 15" wheels for better ride comfort and use the tires I have on the steelies which actually are a different size than I thought (dug through emails) and would work fine...

and then sell the 16" wheels to some sucker who wants them. I mean they look nice(actually mine are all beat up and one even has what looks like random white house paint that was spilled on it in some spots lol) but they are heavy and ride quality suffers a good bit on them

aggghhh more decisions... obviously getting 15" wheels is more expensive.. and I wouldn't know what to get. probably just those konig helium's i use for autocross again. They are quite nice for the price.. but then i got to pick from 3 colors because all 3 work on my car xD

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

im gonna get 2 of these soon for the miata for everyday. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=95WR6DWS06&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

question is when is soon. 

Current front tires do have what looks to be slight cracking on the outside edge but it also looks just like i've been cornering too hard with them... and I kinda do. I abuse the fronts and have understeered into many a corner. 

but they are also from 2011.

decisions, decisions. You know putting off a $250 purchase isn't hard especially when you literally have 3(tho only 2 i can really use; but different dimensions too even tho they fit :/ ) sets of tires for your car xD

why not a full set?

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

OR I can get some 15" wheels for better ride comfort and use the tires I have on the steelies which actually are a different size than I thought (dug through emails) and would work fine...

and then sell the 16" wheels to some sucker who wants them. I mean they look nice(actually mine are all beat up and one even has what looks like random white house paint that was spilled on it in some spots lol) but they are heavy and ride quality suffers a good bit on them

aggghhh more decisions... obviously getting 15" wheels is more expensive.. and I wouldn't know what to get. probably just those konig helium's i use for autocross again. They are quite nice for the price.. but then i got to pick from 3 colors because all 3 work on my car xD

i mean you're still wanting to daily your miata, why not just deal with the stock 16s? i'm sure you can still have a comfortable ride with them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why not a full set?

i mean you're still wanting to daily your miata, why not just deal with the stock 16s? i'm sure you can still have a comfortable ride with them.

Why not a full set? Because I bought 2 rears ~7 months ago...

Because the 15's are way better comfort wise.... And no you can't ive already put taller tires on the rears and it didn't make it much better at all, not nearly as much as 15's do and the 15's I have, have RE-71r's on them and that says a lot when you have a stiff tire on a smaller rim and it's still more comfortable than the 16's

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Why not a full set? Because I bought 2 rears ~7 months ago...

Because the 15's are way better comfort wise.... And no you can't ive already put taller tires on the rears and it didn't make it much better at all, not nearly as much as 15's do and the 15's I have, have RE-71r's on them and that says a lot when you have a stiff tire on a smaller rim and it's still more comfortable than the 16's

maybe it's the tires you're using. stock miata tires are actually the same size as protege tires, except a bit lower profile, but you can pretty much get softer passenger tires in protege sizes. i run toyo proxes 4 plus on the protege, and they're pretty sporty and giving on ride comfort. but idk it's up to you. i think you should try softer tires with a bit higher profile it might work.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I remember when me and my friend matt went drive an ND when they first came out and the salesman tried to get poor little me to take out a loan for one 

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard... I literally had like $2k in my bank account at the time; was driving the corolla, and making $70 a week xD 

I kept stressing to him like "you don't even know..." and he just kept going.. it's hilarious how they go to the ends of the earth to sell a car lol

This guy was the absolute opposite. He didn't even try to sway me towards anything else because there weren't any Raptors on the lot. Any other salesman would've been like "You know we don't have one now but maybe an FX4 or something would suite you just as well."

Nothing. I was out because I'm not going to stare at a lot of vehicles for no reason in maybe six or seven minutes? It was ridiculous.

Also $90k for a Raptor is a bit much. Just a bit..

They all think they are above the law. The Blue code, its the biggest gang in the world.

16 hours ago, wcreek said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean it's kinda peppy.

I too own a 2011 Kia Soul..... It's not peppy TBH

Then again I had the base model which only has the 1.6L engine... It handles okay but thats because the car only weights like 1500lbs, theres no weight to the car. I added 60lb salt bags in the back of it during the winter

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I too own a 2011 Kia Soul..... It's not peppy TBH

Then again I had the base model which only has the 1.6L engine... It handles okay but thats because the car only weights like 1500lbs, theres no weight to the car. I added 60lb salt bags in the back of it during the winter

How powerful (or lack of) are them 1.6 Souls?

My C2 is a 1.6 and is pretty lively. Does have 125hp and weighs about 1 ton

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

How powerful (or lack of) are them 1.6 Souls?

My C2 is a 1.6 and is pretty lively. Does have 125hp and weighs about 1 ton

did a quick google search, apparently it makes only 122hp, so it makes about the same as the c2, but it's probably the transmission and gearing that make the car super dull.

37 minutes ago, terrytek said:

did a quick google search, apparently it makes only 122hp, so it makes about the same as the c2, but it's probably the transmission and gearing that make the car super dull.

First gear is tall for the 5 speed, since apparently it was designed for both the 1.6L and 2.0L variants, and 4th and 5th gear ratios are pretty identical. At least from my experience using it as a daily from 2011 to 2016

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

Just saw this in the tech news section... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

Motor vehicles haven't changed much (fundamentally) over the last century. Car makers have made little no no effort in developing alternate fuel and EV's in said time (except in very recent years). Battery and charging tech still sucks. Now they have 23 years to make it happen (in Britain anyways).

Image result for let's play a game

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Just saw this in the tech news section... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

Motor vehicles haven't changed much (fundamentally) over the last century. Car makers have made little no no effort in developing alternate fuel and EV's in said time (except in very recent years). Battery and charging tech still sucks. Now they have 23 years to make it happen (in Britain anyways).

Image result for let's play a game

how long before the us (probably california first) decides the same fate? then basically the gearhead community as we know it is doomed.

Just now, terrytek said:

how long before the us (probably california first) decides the same fate? then basically the gearhead community as we know it is doomed.

Well, it's not all bad. Note; they said they will ban the SELLING of NEW petrol/diesel fueled vehicles by 2040. I interpret that to mean you can still buy second-hand petrol vehicles. It's when they decide to ban the USE of said vehicles, that the gearhead community will be in trouble.

There is a lot of infrastructure and development to be done to accommodate that many more EV's. 23 years doesn't sound like enough time, but we shall see...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Watch this totally go smoothly and work and have the desired impact. 

Riiiiiiigghhhhtt....

The thing is; something HAS to be done. Fossil fuels are a finite resource. We WILL run out one day and it really is not good for the environment to continue burning them. We need more people like Musk, who understands this and just goes about making it happen, regardless of what anyone else (the other manufacturers) does. 

Big changes need to be made, sooner rather than later. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

The thing is; something HAS to be done. Fossil fuels are a finite resource. We WILL run out one day and it really is not good for the environment to continue burning them. We need more people like Musk, who understands this and just goes about making it happen, regardless of what anyone else (the other manufacturers) does. 

Big changes need to be made, sooner rather than later. 

Audi, you better start mass producing your e-fuel or whatever the funk you where working on.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Audi, you better start mass producing your e-fuel or whatever the funk you where working on.

I think this is a better path than electrifying all our new cars. It still allows us to enjoy ICE cars, without the emissions that it comes with. And if it's renewable, then it means we could theoretically have an infinite supply. I would second this much more than making dull and soggy bread electric cars that are no fun.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I think this is a better path than electrifying all our new cars. It still allows us to enjoy ICE cars, without the emissions that it comes with. And if it's renewable, then it means we could theoretically have an infinite supply. I would second this much more than making dull and soggy bread electric cars that are no fun.

You can't just say that. Electric cars are fun as well, they just lack the growl / noise of the internal combustion engines... As well as the ability to modify them to "your liking".

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You can't just say that. Electric cars are fun as well, they just lack the growl / noise of the internal combustion engines... As well as the ability to modify them to "your liking".

that's what makes them boring for me. no growl/noise. i'm just so used to it, like i can't drive a silent car, that's no fun, i want something that can respond to how far down i put my foot with some good sound.

44 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

France did the same thing a few weeks ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/06/france-ban-petrol-diesel-cars-2040-emmanuel-macron-volvo

You don't honestly think this is going to happen, do you? 23 years for a complete overhaul of the national infrastructure? Yeah... Good luck with that.

You have far too much faith in governing bodies to get things done, my friend. ;) 

The free market is far more efficient at driving change than governments. I understand that you're frustrated with the state of internal combustion engines (not that I agree with your position) but the reason you haven't seen development in electric cars is simply because they aren't economically viable. If they were you would see the big companies embracing them, but you don't. The big automakers like money, and are very good at finding markets to make money with, if there was money to be made in the electric market, they'd be farther into it. (and don't point at volvo, I mean people that make a globally significant amount of cars in a year). 

Most electric cars are only economically competitive because of government subsidies, look what happened to tesla sales in Hong Kong after the government reconfigured the tax incentives. Or Denmark for another example.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2017/07/10/teslas-sales-stall-in-hong-kong-as-tax-breaks-end-could-the-u-s-be-next/?utm_term=.e3c40a286341

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@terrytek did you see the new tesla rumors? Rwd with a 6 speed option

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

noice

17 hours ago, terrytek said:

Then that should be a factor on if you're willing to pay the price for such a nice driving car. Because if you're a gearhead like the rest of us thread members, why buy a car you're gonna hate driving for years? I mean, I'd pitch in extra just to have a car I would enjoy driving for as long as you keep the car.

I very much enjoy driving it. My dad thinks it's a nice looking car too, so it seems like he likes it. I'll have to see though, I just showed him the car on the dealer's website. Hopefully they don't sell it in the next couple days, they already sold the Focus I was also looking at.